PDA

View Full Version : cypress hill IV.... what seems to be the problem!!?!?!?

angry!
12-20-2009, 12:06 PM
this forum is one of the absolute worst places to value someone elses opinion on hip ho music, and i say this because a supposed hip hop head and cypress hill fan claimed that cypress fell the fuck off after their 3rd album!!!!!! well seeeing as IV was cypress' 4th album, i dont see things this way!!!!!

when b-real first emerged he was one of the most inventive and skilled lyricists out easy, and he just kept pushing his style and advancing his skillset!!!! by 1998 this nigga was an absolute beast with the interior rhyminig and delivery!!!!! i have to say some of b's deadliest verses popped off on IV, son fucking merked the record inside out!!!!!

you got tracks like...
"looking through the eyes of a pig" - classsic story track on some fuck the police shit!!!
"i remember that freak bitch" - classic sex spit, point out the birds!!!!!
"tequilla sunrise" - no words needed, one of the best cp hill tracks ever easy!!!!!
"dead men tell no tales" - twisted track and b got an impossible delivery!!!!!
"dr.greenthumb' - classic smoking track, weedhead anthem, timeless!!!!!
"high times" - another timeless chronic cut!!!!!
"clash of the titans" - one of the hardest b-real performances in cypess history!!!!

the album didnt maintain the same consistent vibe temples of boom did, but the sound was more uptempo and varied!!!!!! muggs came with his a-game, the rock influences were heavier but it all worked within the scope of the album!!!!! dusted production, dusted rhymes, if youre a fan of cp hill and you thought this album was a letdown i cant really value your opinion!!!!! great album if youve been asleep go listen to it riht now, let me know what you think!!!!!

P-Noid Brown
12-20-2009, 12:12 PM
hell yea it is... you have to excuse the corp at times, some of the hip-hop connoisseurs here missed a couple of their etiquette classes..

sometimes u can just only pity their senseless answers,
forgive them fore they know not what they do....

this album was fuckin dope as shit... cypress always comes correct.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-20-2009, 12:20 PM
the best thing about CH for me was how Muggs beats fitted with and complemented B reals style so well. B Real sounds so dope on Tequila sunrise. B Real's style has to go down in history in the top 20 of all time, no doubt.

and yeah this track is incredible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1VY9I1ZZA

this album CANNOT be doubted

narc
12-20-2009, 12:31 PM
Yeah this album is sick, whoever said it fell off is deluded, Tequila sunrise, dr greenthumb and clash of the titans are some of my favorite tunes of all time.
Albums after IV however (apart from maybe till death do us part) lack the quality of other cp albums, but are still decent.

oh and

FUOYpiMZMtQ

claaa7
12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
it's a decent album, but i personally felt it was a step down after 3 almost flawless produced LP's from the Hill. it got it's fair share of great material but i don't think the flow of the LP was there like it used to be and Muggs started experimenting more with various styles that didn't fit my taste as well as previous material. when it first dropped it was a bit of letdown, a good album but it was the start of the declining quality of Cypress Hill material imo. "Skull & Bones" and "Stoned Raiders" is a far cry from what this group used to be about.

angry!
12-20-2009, 12:58 PM
the best thing about CH for me was how Muggs beats fitted with and complemented B reals style so well. B Real sounds so dope on Tequila sunrise. B Real's style has to go down in history in the top 20 of all time, no doubt.

and yeah this track is incredible
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE1VY9I1ZZA

this album CANNOT be doubted

the lack of respect and recognition b-real gets as a lyricist is pathetic!!!! when cypress first broke out, this nigga had emcees thinkin twice about picking that mic up!!!! he also evolved and pushed his style harder each album!!!!!! top notch storyteller, versatile, creative, witty, and could make smash hit hooks!!!!!! and it goes without saying muggs is a visionary, next level production since day 1!!!!!!!!

cypress first 4 albums in general are must own, but i wanna focus on their 4th album!!!! btw, claa7 was the nigga talking out of turn saying cypress fell the fuck off after their 3rd album!!!! ima wait for him to defend his opinion!!!!!!

angry!
12-20-2009, 01:04 PM
it's a decent album, but i personally felt it was a step down after 3 almost flawless produced LP's from the Hill. it got it's fair share of great material but i don't think the flow of the LP was there like it used to be and Muggs started experimenting more with various styles that didn't fit my taste as well as previous material. when it first dropped it was a bit of letdown, a good album but it was the start of the declining quality of Cypress Hill material imo. "Skull & Bones" and "Stoned Raiders" is a far cry from what this group used to be about.

ok... but a step down from flawless should still be able to satisfy the toughest critic!!!!!!

get speciffic, what tracks fell flat to you!?!?!? forget about what followed this album, im talking about IV, not the follow ups!!!!! what experimentation was going on that you felt deviated from the cypress sound!!?!?! id say the evolution was pretty much on course to what cypress was offering before IV!!!!!!!!

and if you felt IV was a good album, why would you say cypress FELL THE FUCK OFF after their 3rd album!!?!?!!

TAURO
12-20-2009, 01:18 PM
this forum is one of the absolute worst places to value someone elses opinion on hip ho music, and i say this because a supposed hip hop head and cypress hill fan claimed that cypress fell the fuck off after their 3rd album!!!!!! well seeeing as IV was cypress' 4th album, i dont see things this way!!!!!

when b-real first emerged he was one of the most inventive and skilled lyricists out easy, and he just kept pushing his style and advancing his skillset!!!! by 1998 this nigga was an absolute beast with the interior rhyminig and delivery!!!!! i have to say some of b's deadliest verses popped off on IV, son fucking merked the record inside out!!!!!

you got tracks like...
"looking through the eyes of a pig" - classsic story track on some fuck the police shit!!!
"tequilla sunrise" - no words needed, one of the best cp hill tracks ever easy!!!!!
"clash of the titans" - one of the hardest b-real performances in cypess history!!!!

the album didnt maintain the same consistent vibe temples of boom did, but the sound was more uptempo and varied!!!!!! muggs came with his a-game, the rock influences were heavier but it all worked within the scope of the album!!!!! dusted production, dusted rhymes, if youre a fan of cp hill and you thought this album was a letdown i cant really value your opinion!!!!! great album if youve been asleep go listen to it riht now, let me know what you think!!!!!

You're really no better than any other poster when it comes to respecting other peoples opinion so don't act like your shit don't stink. People here just need to accept the fact that we all have different perspectives on things. Nothing you are gonna say is going to change their opinion.

As for CH IV I do agree that it's a dope album but there is no denying that it was a step down from previous efforts. I remember at the time that was generally the consensus on what people thought. It wasn't that they were falling off, far from it, it was just that most people felt it was unbalanced in places therefore exposing the cracks more. Where it began to go wrong for Cypress was actually from Skull & Bones onwards but that was down to the sign of the times than anything else.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-20-2009, 01:27 PM
. Nothing you are gonna say is going to change their opinion.

Speaking for myself, I might change my opinion of something if someone is capable of putting across a well reasoned argument that makes me look at something differently. Most people here though are unable to do that though.

GZAjector
12-20-2009, 01:44 PM
i was like 17 when it came out, and my boy got that shit and i was hating on that shit without even having heard it!!!
what the fuck was i thinking!!!!!!! because once i peeped it, it was ill as fuck!!!!!!!!
especially!!!!!! the little!! instrumental pieces!

dope fuckin album. i bump it to this day probably once a fortnight.

Afficial_Nastee
12-20-2009, 02:13 PM
I really like that Blonde chick who's playing the nurse at the information desk in the Dr.Greenthumb video....

angry!
12-20-2009, 02:39 PM
You're really no better than any other poster when it comes to respecting other peoples opinion so don't act like your shit don't stink. People here just need to accept the fact that we all have different perspectives on things. Nothing you are gonna say is going to change their opinion.

As for CH IV I do agree that it's a dope album but there is no denying that it was a step down from previous efforts. I remember at the time that was generally the consensus on what people thought. It wasn't that they were falling off, far from it, it was just that most people felt it was unbalanced in places therefore exposing the cracks more. Where it began to go wrong for Cypress was actually from Skull & Bones onwards but that was down to the sign of the times than anything else.

i got my opinions but i do my best to back them with reasoning!!!!! thats whats missing from the majority posting here!!!!

also a lot of sensitivty floating around here, which you showcased with your opening paragraph!!!!!!! this forum is weak in terms of actual discssion, im doing what i can to change that!!!!! back to the album!!!!!!

main_man
12-20-2009, 02:48 PM
cypress IV is a dope album. not as good as their first 3, but still solid. audio x has always been my shit.

it was after IV when they tried the contemporary production, is when cypress started to slip in quality. but those first 4 albums are better than most peoples catalogs.

claaa7
12-20-2009, 03:12 PM
ok... but a step down from flawless should still be able to satisfy the toughest critic!!!!!!

get speciffic, what tracks fell flat to you!?!?!? forget about what followed this album, im talking about IV, not the follow ups!!!!! what experimentation was going on that you felt deviated from the cypress sound!!?!?! id say the evolution was pretty much on course to what cypress was offering before IV!!!!!!!!

and if you felt IV was a good album, why would you say cypress FELL THE FUCK OFF after their 3rd album!!?!?!!

i can't really remember specific tracks more than the ones i played alot cuz i felt them but i just gave you my explanation of why i didn't think the album was all that in my opinion, what's the deal? to say that they FELL THE FUCK OFF after their 3rd was an exaggeration on my behalf but so what.. 4th or 5th or 6th album, they fell the fuck off eventually anyway.

TrickKnowledge
12-20-2009, 03:20 PM
IV is their 2nd best album IMO. Lyrically B-Real was better on it and the beats are all fucking crazy.

Still though, the vibe on Temple of Boom is insane. Sounds like something RZA could've done. DJ Muggs is one of the best producers ever.

ALCATRAZ
12-20-2009, 04:49 PM
when b-real first emerged he was one of the most inventive and skilled lyricists out easy, and he just kept pushing his style and advancing his skillset!!!! by 1998 this nigga was an absolute beast with the interior rhyminig and delivery!!!!!

you know, i've tried telling this to people off of wu corp and even they look at me like i'm crazy ... trust me, cypress hill is underrated across the board ... unfortunately wu corp is no exception

Tommy
12-20-2009, 05:12 PM
Nobody can deny that it's a fucking awesome album, but personally, I prefer their first three more.

Apocalypse
12-20-2009, 05:46 PM
Nobody can deny that it's a fucking awesome album, but personally, I prefer their first three more.

co-sign

Temples Of Boom is fuckin brilliant imo.

Shogah
12-20-2009, 05:51 PM

you got tracks like...

co sign

IV may be even their best album, and looking through the eye of the pig and clash of the titans is some of the most cinematic shit i've ever heard.

audio x is one of my favorites too, muggs is on fire and baron rick and b real tear it down with their twisted flow

Shogah
12-20-2009, 05:56 PM
and don't forget that steel magnolia shit

claaa7
12-20-2009, 06:09 PM
it seems this album is getting a whole lotta love, i'ma give it another spin since i haven't bumped it in at least 8 years, probably more.

angry!
12-20-2009, 06:19 PM
you know, i've tried telling this to people off of wu corp and even they look at me like i'm crazy ... trust me, cypress hill is underrated across the board ... unfortunately wu corp is no exception

sad but true my nigga!!!! and you know they get slept on by wu corp extra hard when a latino poster attempts to center the discussion on difference of opinion instead of brining light to a cypress joint!!!!! cmon pana!!!!!!! thats like cursing in church for a latino hip hop head!!!!!!!!

it seems this album is getting a whole lotta love, i'ma give it another spin since i haven't bumped it in at least 8 years, probably more.

good man!!!! drop a take when you give it a spin homie, curious to see how time mighta changed your perspective!!!!!! b-real was retiring mics left and right in this time period, routine black outs!!!!!!!

Tommy
12-20-2009, 06:33 PM
Is IV your favourite CP album, angry! ?

angry!
12-20-2009, 08:22 PM
Is IV your favourite CP album, angry! ?

i love IV and have felt the same about it since the day it came out, but my favorite cypress album is still black sunday!!!!!

"cock the hammer" live on acid feeling up on a hippie bitch!!!!!! but thats another thread homie!!!!!

IV deserves all kinds of shine though, high quality crack rock end to end!!!!!!!!

THE MASON
12-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Muggs is one of the most underrated producers in hip hop history. IV is a dope album but there best to me is Temple of Boom.

I never think of Cypress beign underated but it seems they are. I always assumed they were like a gold standard in hip hop, you know? the cats you gotta know about. guess not haha

zooruka
12-21-2009, 12:30 AM
look the album is not that good...and by it only going gold proves that...Look if you like it then fine!!!! but I personally don`t think it`s anything to write home about.

peace

THE MASON
12-21-2009, 12:44 AM
so did Whut Thee Album and many other classic albums, it going gold has nothing to do with the quality of the album

zooruka
12-21-2009, 01:08 AM
so did Whut Thee Album and many other classic albums, it going gold has nothing to do with the quality of the album

It doesn`t always mean everything but usually the great albums go plat...Also Im not the biggest cypress fan to begin with ... I don`t know why but when I think of cypress hill I think alternative rap, not orthodox rap..The best cypress song in my opinion is ice cube killa and thats because they used an orthodox rappers beat and it made b-real sound at least in my opinion more like a normal rapper, rather than an alternative type.... I don`t know why but white producers don`t make that beat....they make real alternative sounding beats, you can always tell a white producer from a black one, and they are usually worse.. I mean take stoup, he is dope in his own way but his beats don`t got that head nodding shit feel to them, they sound alternative most of the time.

But like I said if you like it thats fine !!!!

peace be with you !

main_man
12-21-2009, 01:41 AM
stoupe's latino.

and going gold in the 90's actually ment something to real hip hop artists.

Apocalypse
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
cypress hill is one of the most famous rap groups worldwide, how can they be underrated?

MaskedAvenger
12-21-2009, 02:09 AM
I dont think they 'fell off' after their 3rd album but nothing they did after TOB has came close to their first 3 albums.

sickdog
12-21-2009, 03:49 AM
well IV for me is = III (tob). IV=III. i love both lp's from start till end. just TOB have more funky moments in it, it was last album with some funkyshit from cypress.

and i cant say they fell off or something, yes Breal did wackass mixtapes and his solo album sucked big time(only 2 good songs on it) but cypress is not fel off defently. stoned raiders had some skipable content, but it had so many other bangers that fixing it all up. skull and bones was dope to (i love rap/metal sound,so bones disk is dope to me) and the last album TILL DEATH DO US PART, its bangin! the only bad thing about this lp is that all songs sound diffrent and sometimes u cant feel that its full studio album, sometimes then i listen to it i feel like its some kind of compilation. but any way its dope some old style, some westcoast style,some latin thug style, some oldschool style... just take one song - one last cigarette, its fuckin classick, it would fit in to the temples of boom with no problems, to bad it to short.

all good.

any way new LP is coming in march, then we will see whats happening to cypress. Muggs did only half of it...

THE MASON
12-21-2009, 10:27 AM
It doesn`t always mean everything but usually the great albums go plat...Also Im not the biggest cypress fan to begin with ... I don`t know why but when I think of cypress hill I think alternative rap, not orthodox rap..The best cypress song in my opinion is ice cube killa and thats because they used an orthodox rappers beat and it made b-real sound at least in my opinion more like a normal rapper, rather than an alternative type.... I don`t know why but white producers don`t make that beat....they make real alternative sounding beats, you can always tell a white producer from a black one, and they are usually worse.. I mean take stoup, he is dope in his own way but his beats don`t got that head nodding shit feel to them, they sound alternative most of the time.

peace be with you !

Muggs and B Real arent white :nonono:

angry!
12-21-2009, 10:33 AM
look the album is not that good...and by it only going gold proves that...Look if you like it then fine!!!! but I personally don`t think it`s anything to write home about.

peace

you said it yourself youre not a cypress fan!!!! if youre not a fan youre not a fan!!!! and album sales are irrelevant to the music, how many records you think nas moved the first week after dropping illmatic!?!?! i dont know any real hip hop heads thatd be hesitant to enjoy an album because it was a commerical failure!!!!! and going gold even in the sales spike era is nothing to be ashamed of!!!!

and dj muggs is not a traditional hip hop producer, because he crafts complete albums and has a wide range of musical influences in and outside of hip hop!!!! your generalization of white producers is sad, because i dont know anyone in their right mind thatd say muggs doesnt make head nodding beats!!!! he can flip just about any style, and he was showing out on IV!!!! alot of variety musically!!!!

Prolifical ENG
12-21-2009, 11:07 AM
I'm not the biggest Cypress Hill fan, but IV is far from a bad album. Its one of those 8/10s that ends up in rotation at least once a year.

Regarding some peoples opinions here with artists later albums in their discography I agree they are overlooked.

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
12-21-2009, 11:10 AM
think this was one of my 1st hip hop albums

Longbongcilvaringz
12-21-2009, 11:18 AM
You'd have to be Ghostlaced to pretend IV is as good as anything Cypress Hill produced beforehand.

It's a good album though.

And fuck off, Cypress Hill have never been underrated here, you faggits just like to overrate their less than spectacular later material and call it classic.

Longbongcilvaringz
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM

peace be with you !

I have no idea how you talk seriously on topics such as this, while dropping lines like "I don`t know why but white producers don`t make that beat....they make real alternative sounding beats, you can always tell a white producer from a black one".

You're a fucking australian from the western suburbs suburbs of Sydney...

What the fuck are you talking about.

Stoupe has made about 100 head nodding beats.

Stop saying "alternative rap" and shut the fuck up.

J-DON
12-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Muggs is white. Isnt he Italian?

sickdog
12-22-2009, 04:44 AM
Muggs is white.

angry!
12-22-2009, 10:28 AM
"God's enemies, fall in upon, the knees crawling
Beheading the dead souls, who runaway from their calling
Behold, the white horse, remorse, never the case
Every corner of the world, the battle is taking place
Let the war drum set the pace, you face fire
Resume, from the Temple of Boom, and seek higher thought
Maybe you live, or maybe not, the blade's hot
Many renegades ready for battle, die on the spot
With one shot, one whole city becomes rocked
The clash rages on, people remain calm
Good, bad, all in the balance, you going mad
You can never tell, heaven or hell, the blood shed
And it's all around, you can't run, sit in the cell
When the war's over, the light will shine, covering the spell
Celebrate now, put the blades to rest
No wickedness, only the blessed will hold down" - b-real - clash of the titans

IV was hard, b was assassinating mics at will and muggs was on fire!!!! some of the hardest cypress material in their catalogue, the goofy shit kinda took the backseat this go around but it was still there in spots!!!!!

still interested in seeing how claaa7 felt revisiting the album if he had a chance!!!!!!!

BIG D O
12-23-2009, 02:09 AM
Cypress was such a big part of Hip-Hop, especally for Latinos.....it goes without saying....

I liked "Temples Of Boom" and the debut better than "IV"....by the time "IV" came along they had already plateau'd artistically....still their was some seriously righteous beats on that album....Muggs is one of the most slept on producers of all time....

he's apart of the top 10 GOAT's tho....

Muggs, Large Pro, Pete Rock, Premier, Prince Paul, The Rza, Easy Mo Bee, EZ Elpee, Buckwild, J Dilla

sickdog
12-23-2009, 02:43 AM
http://img191.imageshack.us/img191/3660/greenthumb.jpg

love this guy :D

Compulsion
12-23-2009, 03:04 AM
Cypress Hill 4 is not a bad album at all. TOB is still my favorite,though.

claaa7
12-23-2009, 05:51 AM
still interested in seeing how claaa7 felt revisiting the album if he had a chance!!!!!!!

i'm in my hometown visiting family and friends over the holidays so i might not be able to give it a spin until a week from now but i'll let you know! peace

wu tang worldwide
12-25-2009, 05:44 PM
that is a classic record another song is fantasic on it is lighting strikes brilliant

CharlesJones
12-26-2009, 11:28 AM
Their 4th album sucks dick hahahahahahahahahahahaha. High Times is the only song on there i like. They fell off after their first album hahahahaha. Their first album is their only good one.

fatboybrandon
12-26-2009, 11:39 AM
I'm gonna go back and take a better listen to IV after reading this thread, I remember checkin it back in the late 90's once, and I couldn't really get into it. I think because it was an even darker album than III.

Their 3rd album I can barely tolerate, not because it isn't good in it's own right, but because of an increase of weird, dark sound presented which strays from the soul & funk of their classic debut.

The direction of darker sound they took may have been the problem why I couldn't enjoy that album, it's like how I feel about the transition from watching A Nightmare On Elm Street 4 to part 5.

CharlesJones
12-26-2009, 11:49 AM
Your right about Temples Of Boom album. It does suck because of the beats. Spark Another Owl and Red Light Visions are the only songs on there i like. Throw Your Hands In The Air remix with Erick Sermon, Redman, MC Eiht is better than the album version. Black Sunday album sucks too. I only like Insane In The Brain and Interlude beat that's at the beginning of side 2. DJ Muggs first Soul Assassins album sucks but he has some good rappers on there. I didn't hear the 2nd Soul Assassins album. How is the beats on the album Muggs did with GZA?

Jin10304
12-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Soul Assassins ch 1 is friggin classic, thats the best one out

Apocalypse
12-26-2009, 09:40 PM
to enjoy Temples Of Boom beats you gotta be on the right state of mind, because its a really dark album, but its an amazing album.

just check out this track :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDC18hjO3TE

one of my favorite hip-hop LPīs without a doubt.

I love it.

sickdog
12-28-2009, 03:24 AM
Your right about Temples Of Boom album. It does suck because of the beats.

lol.

FAIL.

Apocalypse
12-28-2009, 08:16 AM
lol.

FAIL.

no doubt, massive fail!

DRUNKENARTS
12-28-2009, 01:11 PM
IV is my fave cypress hill album