PDA

View Full Version : Rakim made a lot of 'love' songs....

oldie
12-21-2009, 07:54 PM
I been youtubing his stuff tonight cos I never really felt his music :ouch: but tonight im rather into it :spin:

i met up with a girl i used to see back in my mid teens, still got a bit of a thing for her & she abouts to finish the guy she been with for a year so it got me reminising & in that mood to throw on some love vibe tracks

i dont own a single Rakim album although ive heard Paid In Full

I noticed he's made more love tracks than any other artist i know of (including LL)

i'd embed em but there'd be a few lol

just a thought, im liking the track btw

claaa7
12-21-2009, 08:45 PM
ra got ill love songs, especially the tracks on "The 7th Seal " album; 'Physical Love', 'Still in Love', 'Put It All To Music' (love for musik / hip-hop), 'Dedicated' tribute to his deceased mother and father. "You & I" is another incredible song from the album, quotables for days and i doubt any ladies didn't get a fuzz when hearing this for the first time.

"The 7th Seal" is definifely the most underrated gem of the year, so much better than this two previously solo work and probably iller than at least one of the Eric B & Rakim LP's. it got all the right elelements for a classic album imo.

food for thought
12-21-2009, 08:48 PM
^thanks for that post

ill check it out

fatboybrandon
12-21-2009, 09:01 PM
Yeah, Rakim did some love tracks. He spoke on love in a way that was visual, painting a picture of the moment and putting the feeling of that situation in lyrical form. I think he wrote about it in a way like none other.

I think the way he wrote songs like Mahogany, What's On Your Mind, Everything's Cool, etc. it inspired a style of writing in other great MCs like NaS (Money Is My Bitch, Rewind), O.C. (Stronjay), Pharoahe Monch (The Light), Mobb Deep (Young Luv, More Trife Life) and many more. When you listen to those, you hear a style of visuals and description of encountering a female which was originated by Ra.

I think RZA's "Love Jones" has that storytelling/visual vibe when I listen that comes from the great writing mind of Rakim. You hear RZA go into description to the point you can almost feel like you're there, like Mahogany.

If you're lookin for love vibe tracks, for hip hop I guess Rakim is one you could pick, but I would check other forms of music like R&B which have deeper singing and arrangements. There's many out on YouTube or Grooveshark

For getting hip to the Rakim catalog, career and legacy, I'd start at the beginning and go chronologically. Then there's a lot of interviews you could look at to learn also, plus speak to older hip hop heads.

I think 3 of the best songs on his latest album are those in which he speaks about love, Psychic Love, Working For You and Dedicated. Check those out too

angry!
12-21-2009, 10:07 PM
ra got ill love songs, especially the tracks on "The 7th Seal " album; 'Physical Love', 'Still in Love', 'Put It All To Music' (love for musik / hip-hop), 'Dedicated' tribute to his deceased mother and father. "You & I" is another incredible song from the album, quotables for days and i doubt any ladies didn't get a fuzz when hearing this for the first time.

"The 7th Seal" is definifely the most underrated gem of the year, so much better than this two previously solo work and probably iller than at least one of the Eric B & Rakim LP's. it got all the right elelements for a classic album imo.

right on my nigga!!!!!!

rakim has always been a master at delivering true to life lyrical love tracks that connect without sounding contrived!!!!!!! nothing sounds forced coming from the god!!!!!!!!

the 7th seal has some of the best written hip hop love tracks ive heard in years, he continues to push the "mahagony" stylings!!!!!!!

go cop his latest album its got what youre lookin for homie!!!!!!

oldie
12-22-2009, 12:55 PM
fuck it, gunna start postine me up for the fuck of it

6A80tmayN-E

H8Z8c-JM_5U

fatboybrandon
12-22-2009, 01:24 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_owlUrvfudZE/ScU1CKbP2NI/AAAAAAAAHZ4/RVJwy9qIKEo/s320/MidnightStarPlanetaryInvasion1984A.jpg

Ay oldie, have you heard Midnight Star's "Curious" from 1984? This is one of my favorite 80's R&B love songs Rakim sampled.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/57380153f9c0ea17

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_vjWyZWztimM/SWtOWY1dwgI/AAAAAAAAAOU/IT0UPhokF44/s400/folder.jpg (www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQgIrNqaJTo)

and the banging, high tempo funk of Loose Ends on "Stay A Little While Child", I love this song he used on the 18th Letter.

Check these out if you haven't already heard em, I know once I first heard these it made me appreciate Rakim's love songs even more

oldie
12-23-2009, 03:22 PM
i aint heard those 2 songs & i aint heard the song that rakim samples Loose Ends
the 1st song is quite nice tbh mate

CharlesJones
12-26-2009, 12:07 PM
Fatboybrandon, i see you've done your homework about old r&b artists that Rakim sampled. Midnight Star was the shit back in the day. I got their No Parking On The Dance Floor and Planetary Invasion albums. Those albums are very good and got a lot of jams on them. Curious song is my jam by them. Gerald Levert, Keith Sweat, Johnny Gill, MC Lyte, LL Cool J, Busta Rhymes did a remake of Curious. I don't remember Rakim sampling Loose Ends. I like Loose Ends. I just saw their video Hangin On A String last night for the first time on BET's Soul Videos network. That's my jam. Rakim hasn't done a lot of love songs. He's done a few but not as many as LL Cool J. Oldie, how could you not have any Eric B and Rakim albums? You need to get all 4 of them.