PDA

View Full Version : Saw a sad sight today: Freestyle Fellowship

DJMethods
12-29-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm in my local record shop trying to avoid buying music and browsing around, noticing a bazillion copies of Before I Self Destruct, The Carter III, Kid Cudi and all this other shit. I can't be fucked hating on music these days and think all music has it's place but as I was leaving I saw something which made me scratch my head.

Freestyle Fellowship's Innercity Griots was sitting in the discount section for $10 (Average price for a CD here is $25). That's an out and out 90's classic, it's Cali hip-hop history, it's the Good Life Cafe recorded pretty much and it was $10.

Kids were picking up 50's and Lil Wayne's for $25-$30 while this CD just fucking sat there!

dacrJD_LDnA

How the fuck does this happen? I guarantee none of them had it in their collection.

I copped it anyway and spent the afternoon bumping it... Aceyalone is a beast.

food for thought
12-29-2009, 09:21 AM
embedding is disabled on the video.

but yea Freestyle Fellowship was dope

there was a documentary about them on HBO/SHOWTIME/ SUNDANCE or something recently
they had footage of that spot they use to play in ervy week and they were telling each MC's story basically

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-29-2009, 09:33 AM
its cus theyre just a poor mans version of Bone Thugs, see below.

BYH-2Mf2aDU

Frank Sobotka
12-29-2009, 09:45 AM
kids don't buy cd's.

Vicious
12-29-2009, 09:48 AM
you expect those "kids" to ignore what is new and hot, in favor of some 15+ year old obscure underground shit? Well, then they wouldnt be kids. and Ikke is right too -- they're not even buying CDs of new shit. only old people buy CDs. and DJMethods, you sound OLD.

DJMethods
12-29-2009, 10:16 AM
I had my 34th Bday the other week. Is that old?

angry!
12-29-2009, 10:33 AM
kids arent buying records, its sad but true!!!!!

im conditioned to go out to the record store on tuesdays and buy my shit, kids these days are conditioned to obtain music with a mouseclick!!!!!!

if you ask me, theyre missing out on an experience that would give them more respect for the music!!!!!! when i copped a cd as a kid, i took that bitch home, read the liner notes on the shitter with my headphones blazing, and really took the album in!!!!!! if i didnt like it at first, i kept listening, cuz i was a lil dude putting my money on the table!!!!!!!!

kids nowdays will download a batch of albums and give them a speed listen, they invested nothing obtaining it so its nothing to them!!!!!!!

Frank Sobotka
12-29-2009, 10:46 AM
And don't blame the kids.
Everybody gets into mainstream music when they start to develop a music taste.
Those who are really into music will listen to the underground eventually, those who aren't that interested in music just listen to whatever is on the radio.

It's the fault of the radio's, if they played freestyle fellowship all the time and completly neglected 50 cent it would be the other way arund.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-29-2009, 10:55 AM
I love my CDs man, hip hop wise I havent counted them, but it looks like around 450-500 cds, and 90% of those were all bought before 2005/6. I dont buy records much anymore like I used to. When I was a teenager I bought a 1 or 2 CDs every week with my weekend job money, the rest on bud. That cycle continued for around 5 years i guess.

In the early 2000's though CD's were cheaper in the stores. You could pick most hip hop albums up for $10-12, and then there would be a whole bunch of the older hip hop CD's from the 90's that you could find on offer from $8-10, some even cheaper.

But now when I go into HMV, all the good shit is like $14-16!! Some are even $18. Its ridiculous. And the older stuff and underground stuff is most expensive. And its harder to find the good CD's from the 90's now than it was back in the early2000's, they still stocked all that older 90's shit.

fatboybrandon
12-29-2009, 11:01 AM
DJ Methods, I'm sorry to hear how you're feeling. I used to live in Southern Cali in the late 80's, it's a beautiful place with beautiful music. I remember Freestyle Fellowship in the early 90's, there was a college radio show host friend of mine here in NY, who played some of their songs repeatedly

Your story illustrates the everyday sad state of mass media corporate America's influence on a culture's true perception, it's artistic and historic treasures. I think the speed in which advertising media flows to line the pockets of people who largely control society and exploit the rest of us is a vicious system that easily confuses new coming consumers of hip hop.

I wish that more new hip hop fans had knowledge of Freestyle Fellowship and other classics, as much as they do the current music, I don't hate one or the other. I think it's the ignorance of the corporate machine which people confuse as "hip hop" that causes too much of a separation between classic and what's currently popular, based on their money-making needs.

Even if there was no TV, radio, music videos, jewelry, record companies, award shows, hip hop would still exist if you take a look back to it's beginnings before being exploited by large companies. Today's consumers need to recognize the difference in order to really understand hip hop, rather than become a puppet of rich people who never seen the ghetto, exploiting your ears and mind to become richer.

P-Noid Brown
12-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Baiscally fuck the machine!

Undiluted Karma
12-29-2009, 11:39 AM
kids arent buying records, its sad but true!!!!!

im conditioned to go out to the record store on tuesdays and buy my shit, kids these days are conditioned to obtain music with a mouseclick!!!!!!

if you ask me, theyre missing out on an experience that would give them more respect for the music!!!!!! when i copped a cd as a kid, i took that bitch home, read the liner notes on the shitter with my headphones blazing, and really took the album in!!!!!! if i didnt like it at first, i kept listening, cuz i was a lil dude putting my money on the table!!!!!!!!

kids nowdays will download a batch of albums and give them a speed listen, they invested nothing obtaining it so its nothing to them!!!!!!!

I totally agree with you, I need to cop some CD's, I'm sure I would appreciate Iron Flag if I had the physical copy na'meen

BIG D O
12-29-2009, 12:10 PM
yeah, that is pretty sad....

SMH @ the Bone Thugs comparison....

Got my copy of Innercity Griots on cassette...

ALCATRAZ
12-29-2009, 01:02 PM
freestyle fellowship is cool but they got no mass appeal ... aceyalone be rappin about some ol other ass shit lol

oDoUoSoKo
12-29-2009, 01:09 PM
http://i36.tinypic.com/2mpwnja.jpg

best sig ever.

CHRONZ
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
i buy all my shit, never download.. i love that feeling when you just picked up that new cd/vinyl and are on your way home all excited and shit.. ive always had this thing goin on, every time i get/buy a new record i blaze some weed so that the record and i can get properly introduced haha!.. i dont get why people wanna miss out on that feeling..

fatboybrandon
12-29-2009, 01:27 PM
they got no mass appeal ... aceyalone be rappin about some ol other ass shit lol

Everybody has their opinion on different styles and sub genres now which is fine, who is and who isn't wack, etc. I wish the lines between all hip hop artists, talent and history weren't so blurred based on the ever growing media system which gears this humble street culture towards Hollywood, pop mass appeal.

Frank Sobotka
12-29-2009, 01:37 PM
i buy all my shit, never download.. i love that feeling when you just picked up that new cd/vinyl and are on your way home all excited and shit.. ive always had this thing goin on, every time i get/buy a new record i blaze some weed so that the record and i can get properly introduced haha!.. i dont get why people wanna miss out on that feeling.. It's cheaper?

CHRONZ
12-29-2009, 01:39 PM
It's cheaper?
it might be, but music is not just music for me.. its so much more

EnD
12-29-2009, 01:50 PM
i buy all my shit, never download.. i love that feeling when you just picked up that new cd/vinyl and are on your way home all excited and shit..
it might be, but music is not just music for me.. its so much more

Word up... Buying cds/vinyl is actually legal and you don't have any DRM things on the music you paid for. Call me old fashioned, but I too love my cds.

angry!
12-29-2009, 01:50 PM
It's cheaper?

im not trynna single you out lil mans, but hip hop for niggas like me was an escape, and downloading wasnt always an option!!!!!! i loved going into the record store release day, and grabbing the shit id been waiting for right off the shelf!!!!!! hang out, chop it up with some music lovers, kids today dont know about that shit!!!!!!

if you really love this shit, you buy records!!!!! straight up!!!!!!!!

Frank Sobotka
12-29-2009, 01:55 PM
im not trynna single you out lil mans, but hip hop for niggas like me was an escape, and downloading wasnt always an option!!!!!! i loved going into the record store release day, and grabbing the shit id been waiting for right off the shelf!!!!!! hang out, chop it up with some music lovers, kids today dont know about that shit!!!!!!

I would do the same if I could afword every new release.

Don't get me wrong I buy cd's, but only classics and if they're not too expensive.
And CD stores aren't exactly on every corner, I have to order most from the web =/

EnD
12-29-2009, 02:00 PM
How big is the price diffrence actually? Say, how much are Enter the 36 Chambers, OB4CL2 and Malice N Wonderland on iTunes or whatever? If a regular price for a brand new cd is about 20$/€, what is the price online?

LORD NOSE
12-29-2009, 02:00 PM
what did you expect ?

CHRONZ
12-29-2009, 02:12 PM
Word up... Buying cds/vinyl is actually legal and you don't have any DRM things on the music you paid for. Call me old fashioned, but I too love my cds. Whuut-up!!!!!!

Word, truth right there! if you REALLY love that album, you WILL get it one way or another

I would do the same if I could afword every new release.

Don't get me wrong I buy cd's, but only classics and if they're not too expensive.
And CD stores aren't exactly on every corner, I have to order most from the web =/ i dont go and buy every new release either.. the more music it means to you the more picky you get.. i remember when i was younger i put aside launch money for days just to get that special record..
didnt matter if i was hungry', music filled me up again.. haha good times... good times!

Frank Sobotka
12-29-2009, 02:13 PM
^now I want to buy a cd.
Going tomorrow lolz

CHRONZ
12-29-2009, 02:22 PM
^now I want to buy a cd.
Going tomorrow lolz

thats good man, haha you know its the shit' you feel it dont' you... :spin:

YungSunny
12-29-2009, 02:50 PM
you expect those "kids" to ignore what is new and hot, in favor of some 15+ year old obscure underground shit? Well, then they wouldnt be kids. and Ikke is right too -- they're not even buying CDs of new shit. only old people buy CDs. and DJMethods, you sound OLD.
I bought me 7 cd's for christmas this year.

BYH-2Mf2aDU
freestyle fellowship came out in 1991......91 laced.

djskillz
12-29-2009, 04:06 PM
How big is the price diffrence actually? Say, how much are Enter the 36 Chambers, OB4CL2 and Malice N Wonderland on iTunes or whatever? If a regular price for a brand new cd is about 20$/, what is the price online?

It doesnt matter because 99.9% of kids who download aren't buying an album. They'll download (free btw) 1 or 2 songs from each artist. The art of albums is lost in this generation. Sadly I'll have to grow up with these people. I'm one of the younger ones who still buys CDs.

Cthulhu
12-29-2009, 04:19 PM

And plus, I don't see how they sound much at all like Bone Thugs. Yeah, they ride the beat sometimes do melodic raps, but it's always based in jazz vocals while Bone Thugs sounds more r&B or soul based.

spiggity_ace
12-29-2009, 05:07 PM
I love my CDs man, hip hop wise I havent counted them, but it looks like around 450-500 cds, and 90% of those were all bought before 2005/6. I dont buy records much anymore like I used to. When I was a teenager I bought a 1 or 2 CDs every week with my weekend job money, the rest on bud. That cycle continued for around 5 years i guess.

In the early 2000's though CD's were cheaper in the stores. You could pick most hip hop albums up for $10-12, and then there would be a whole bunch of the older hip hop CD's from the 90's that you could find on offer from $8-10, some even cheaper.

But now when I go into HMV, all the good shit is like $14-16!! Some are even $18. Its ridiculous. And the older stuff and underground stuff is most expensive. And its harder to find the good CD's from the 90's now than it was back in the early2000's, they still stocked all that older 90's shit.

yea i went to look for obfcl2 and it was 18.99 i was tempted to buy it but in the end i think 20 bucks is too much for a cd, and the offering runs about 20.99 and mm food was 25 bucks i was like wuts goin on here, i got 36 chambers relatively cheap for 13 bucks tho

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-29-2009, 05:33 PM

You think I dont know that huh, i wasnt talking about who came first. But while were on the subject btnh recorded faces of death lp in 1992 (and Bizzy bone was in NY beating jay z in freestyle battles with that style even earlier), and they werent aware of f.f. but btnh are simply more talented individuals. idk why you would want to listen to ff when btnh exist lol. they did everything they did, but alot better.

i respect ff though, i like some of their songs.

yX6b-j63-ZY

but theyve never fucked with old shit like this.

Frank Sobotka
12-29-2009, 06:05 PM
thats good man, haha you know its the shit' you feel it dont' you... :spin:
Yup, too bad I won't find cd's i'm really into atm

YungSunny
12-29-2009, 06:22 PM
yea i went to look for obfcl2 and it was 18.99 i was tempted to buy it but in the end i think 20 bucks is too much for a cd, and the offering runs about 20.99 and mm food was 25 bucks i was like wuts goin on here, i got 36 chambers relatively cheap for 13 bucks tho
20 dollars is enough for a double disc cd over here lol.
You think I dont know that huh, i wasnt talking about who came first. But while were on the subject btnh recorded faces of death lp in 1992 (and Bizzy bone was in NY beating jay z in freestyle battles with that style even earlier), and they werent aware of f.f. but btnh are simply more talented individuals. idk why you would want to listen to ff when btnh exist lol. they did everything they did, but alot better.

i respect ff though, i like some of their songs.

yX6b-j63-ZY

but theyve never fucked with old shit like this.
Shiiit, who you telling? I knew that whole song back when I was 11. I enjoy both groups but I'm not gonna front, after looking up some background shit about bone thugz and worshipping the devil I got a lil skeptical about their music. The idea doesn't seem that far-fetched.

Ghost In The 'Lac
12-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Of course they fucked with the devil, how you think they rap like that?

hom1e
12-29-2009, 06:27 PM
I don't buy alot music but i have some originals also - like 30 cd's comparing to yall collections it's fuckin' funny but in my place prices are insane - mostly triplet and more, one day i was walkin' through the store and found 2Pac cd and the price was a 100 zl - it's like fuckin' 100 dollars in US, ridiculous.

djskillz
12-29-2009, 09:21 PM
^That aint right. CD prices are really expensive now. If I wanna buy a new OC Word Life album its gonna run me upwards of 26.99. And its the only copy ive seen in awhile.

CHRONZ
12-30-2009, 04:01 AM
Yup, too bad I won't find cd's i'm really into atm where are you at?.. if youre local store aint got it, and the neighbor-town aint got it either then try checking out sites from Holland/Germany they got a good catalogue mostly.. my local record shop is dope, they now what i want and shit' so when i get down there all "hey man, just got this shit right here, i think it might interest you" if all goes wrong then UGHH which is really good 2..

I don't buy alot music but i have some originals also - like 30 cd's comparing to yall collections it's fuckin' funny but in my place prices are insane - mostly triplet and more, one day i was walkin' through the store and found 2Pac cd and the price was a 100 zl - it's like fuckin' 100 dollars in US, ridiculous. RIDICULOUS!!!!! instead of payin so much, you can easily save money from ordering from the states or holland.. normally i can buy like 2 vinyls here, but when i order from overseas i can get 3-4 vinyl for same price .. shipment is fairly quick if they got everything in stock!

^That aint right. CD prices are really expensive now. If I wanna buy a new OC Word Life album its gonna run me upwards of 26.99. And its the only copy ive seen in awhile.

http://www.undergroundhiphop.com/store/searchresults.asp?searchby=Artist&keywords=O.C.+

Check it out, OC - Word Life (Cd old school) $14.97

Nah mean?

CHRONZ
12-30-2009, 04:28 AM
http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/Chronz_2009/DSC00111.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/Chronz_2009/DSC00112.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/Chronz_2009/DSC00113.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/Chronz_2009/DSC00114.jpg

Just a little pick out of some of my Vinyl... they are all still sealed, besides Del the funky..

ITS JUST LIKE POKEMON YOU GOTTA GET EM ALL !!!!

Frank Sobotka
12-30-2009, 04:49 AM
where are you at?.. if youre local store aint got it, and the neighbor-town aint got it either then try checking out sites from Holland/Germany they got a good catalogue mostly.. my local record shop is dope, they now what i want and shit' so when i get down there all "hey man, just got this shit right here, i think it might interest you" if all goes wrong then UGHH which is really good 2..

RIDICULOUS!!!!! instead of payin so much, you can easily save money from ordering from the states or holland.. normally i can buy like 2 vinyls here, but when i order from overseas i can get 3-4 vinyl for same price .. shipment is fairly quick if they got everything in stock!

In holland the local 'cd stores' barely have cd's =/
Going to another franchize in another town later on.

Ordering from holland?
where the fuck are you ordering it from?
new cd's & allot of older cd's i'm looking for are 28.88 dollar =/

CHRONZ
12-30-2009, 04:54 AM
In holland the local 'cd stores' barely have cd's =/
Going to another franchize in another town later on.

Ordering from holland?
where the fuck are you ordering it from?
new cd's & allot of older cd's i'm looking for are 28.88 dollar =/

theres a few sites to order from i always compare price and stock..
just google something like "buy [random album] vinyl" or some shit like that theres gonna pop up a few.. my last order was from Germany i think.. i cant remember the name of the one in Holland.. just look it up, youll find it!^O^ they got both cds/vinyls/whatever/whatever

CHRONZ
12-30-2009, 05:33 AM
hmmm i think you would do best to order from US/Germany,..
the cheapest place would be Ughh.. aslong as the package dont get caught in the customs so you have to pay extra.. never happend to me!..
the reason i bought from Germany last time, they had some vinyl ughh didnt have

Edgar Erebus
12-30-2009, 05:39 AM

If you had any clue about any topic you're posting about, you'd know that Freestyle Fellowship had an album out before Bone Thugs even formed.

Extra moron juice.

Edgar Erebus
12-30-2009, 05:50 AM
Everybody has their opinion on different styles and sub genres now which is fine, who is and who isn't wack, etc. I wish the lines between all hip hop artists, talent and history weren't so blurred based on the ever growing media system which gears this humble street culture towards Hollywood, pop mass appeal.

Jk_VcnBO7xE

If my Mercedes break down to dull my grill
Will I jump up in a new Seville
If my Seville break down, I take it a-back
I will dull my grill in a new Cadillac
If my Cadillac break down, it's just too much
I will shock your mind in a new Star Stutz
And if a Stutz break down, I make another choice
I will dull my grill in a new Rolls Royce...

Signin' autographs for the young and old
Wearin' big time silver and solid gold
My name on the radio and in the magazine
My picture on the TV screen...

EXXTRA MORON JUICE.

DJMethods
12-30-2009, 05:53 AM
Man there was a thread a while back posting collections: I only got these pics on my comp, will try and get my whole collection sometime in the next week before I go travelling. Got a shiteload of LP's now, scary thinking of how much money I would've put down over the years - And that's not including all the CD's I've copped.

I don't understand how cunts don't like the feeling of copping a new joint, I fiend for that shit, can't walk past my local record store without copping hahaha.

I've even gone out to go food shopping and returned with hundreds in music...and no food!

Wax is different though cause you learn so much about the music. I play it, play it again, play it again, get to know it, play it again, find some dope cuts, find some shit that mixes, play it again ect ect. It's like tuning a chick.

Only just turned 21 too so I'm hoping by the time Im a middle aged wigger my collection needs it's own room, it's got it's own cupboard and a couple of crates now so off to a good start.

http://i47.tinypic.com/fyfn8i.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/206xv68.jpg

Will get more pics ASAP, love my wax

CHRONZ
12-30-2009, 06:09 AM
Nice DjMethods !!

hope yall can see this.. camera on my phone is shit !!

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/Chronz_2009/DSC00115.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/Chronz_2009/DSC00116.jpg

http://i874.photobucket.com/albums/ab308/Chronz_2009/DSC00117.jpg

DJMethods
12-30-2009, 07:15 AM
I want that Black Moon!!!!! I saw it on wax for $22 the other day, went home to get $$$$ and by the time I came back the shit was gone. Shattered yo.

will get my collection out some time soon when I can be fucked putting them back in order haha

CHRONZ
12-30-2009, 07:22 AM
^Damn thats hella bad luck man' that shit can ruin a whole day man!!!!

word looking forward to see whatcha got

Frank Sobotka
12-30-2009, 08:38 AM
Just bought 3 cd's: CL2, Life after death & Stillmatic.

Tommy
12-30-2009, 09:29 AM
I agree with what people are saying, there's no comparison between downloading an album or actually going out and buying a CD. Having that CD in the bag as you walk around just waiting to get home and pump it out, it's quite a cool feeling.

I've been building quite the CD collection lately, I'm looking to get every classic hip hop album as well as purchasing the odd new one.

food for thought
12-30-2009, 09:38 AM
i shall take pictures of my god body Vinyl collection and post it here soon.

CHRONZ
12-30-2009, 09:39 AM
Just bought 3 cd's: CL2, Life after death & Stillmatic.
well done son' ^O^:spin:

Frank Sobotka
12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
Is internal affairs out of print or something?
Looking online and I see it new for 57 dollars =/

djskillz
12-30-2009, 12:06 PM
^It's been out of print.

Cthulhu
12-30-2009, 12:32 PM
^It's been out of print.

Isn't that due to the Godzilla sample on "Simon Says"? I don't get why they can't just pay Toho studios some royalties for that thing. Guess it's probably not enough of a big seller.

djskillz
12-30-2009, 08:00 PM
^Yep. It pisses me off cause I didnt get into Pharoahe Monch till after it was out of print.

Frank Sobotka
12-31-2009, 04:01 AM
Still going to get this lol.

Anybody know how much doggystyle with g'z up hoez down is worth?

CHRONZ
12-31-2009, 04:12 AM
^ i hope you do, im looking for it aswell DOPE FUCKIN ALBUM..

yo the longest ive waited for an order is 8-9 months and that was the local record shop.. but hey i was patient, and i got what was mines at the end of the day.. besides it was a little brother vinyl, so i could easily have waited a few months more, WORD I LOVE MUSIC !!!

Frank Sobotka
12-31-2009, 04:15 AM
^ i hope you do, im looking for it aswell DOPE FUCKIN ALBUM..

yo the longest ive waited for an order is 8-9 months and that was the local record shop.. but hey i was patient, and i got what was mines at the end of the day.. besides it was a little brother vinyl, so i could easily have waited a few months more, WORD I LOVE MUSIC !!!Oh lol, I went to a record store in september for the chronic re-lit and still haven't heard back.

CHRONZ
12-31-2009, 04:21 AM
Oh lol, I went to a record store in september for the chronic re-lit and still haven't heard back.
i could be awhile, just push it back in yo mind.. and when the call comes youll be more then happy :Y