PDA

View Full Version : Who got better as an MC as their career went on?

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-02-2010, 07:25 PM
Most people saying MC's peak on their early or debut album, what MCs steadily improved as they went on? Off the top I cant think of 2 many, but i'd say Andre and Big Boi steadily improved their skills through their first 3 albums, and held that shit on their fourth.

Alotta people also seem to keep saying Lil Wayne in this category, I think lyrically his best album was Carter2. He was kinda interesting with the flow just before Carter3 dropped, had some good shit like Dr Carter that he hadnt done before. Alot of people prefer his earlier style though.

Common got better steadily and peaked on LWFC imo.

And possibly Pac.

I honestly cant think of any others right now.

Monkdude
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
good question. I think about this a lot...

You could make an argument for Ghost, peaking around SC. I think his shit on forever was his best though...

MF Doom?

Masta Ace?

Guru, and i feel confident about that one

Pusha peaked on HHNF.... i guess...

LORD NOSE
01-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Knowledge Reigns Supreme Over Nearly Everyone

ALCATRAZ
01-02-2010, 07:39 PM
MF Doom?

Masta Ace?

cosign

and if common had stopped making albums at lwfc i'd agree with threadstarter

and pac got better with each album

Poetic Wun
01-02-2010, 07:50 PM
imo i think disposable art was aces peak and has since been consistant but idk about better.
i think ghost has def shown growth.
joell has gotten pretty good but hes still a newbie... ish

i think lyrically lupes gotten better.
i think bone has remained consitant.
ag as well... oasis was a solid album.
im just going by those that have released stuff lately...
fixtape has shown some growth in members... gotta hear the new album tho.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-02-2010, 07:57 PM
I knew someone was going to mention Clipse and I knew id have to disagree and remind people Lord Willin WAS their best album.

Although on the 2nd WGIFC mixtape I thought they were incredible.

racist randy
01-02-2010, 07:59 PM
T.I. from the radio songs I've heard

angry!
01-02-2010, 08:02 PM
b-real... his skillset got deadlier each album from self titled to IV!!!!!!! the patterns this guy was coming up with in this period were next level!!!!!!

eminem... maybe he was more entertaining early on, but its not hard to argue that his multi's, flow, and vocal quality all got better with time!!!!!! his clarity, and versatility in approach track to track rhythmically is master level!!!!!!

andre 3000.... his skillset got to the point he was competing with his last verse everytime he got ona track... by the time stankonia came around he was getting bored with 16's!!!!!! he didnt drop enough verses on that shit... but the verses he did lay made a lot of emcees wanna quit!!!!!!!

masta ace... he improved in nearly every category as years went by, his rhymes got more personal, and he dropped 2 of the most cinematic albums in hip hop at an age most emcees pass outside the game!!!!!!!

biggie... i think RTD is his best album, but his skillset had gone up a level or two by the time LAD hit!!!!! storytelling, presence, flow, versatility, tonal control.... everything was elevated!!!!!!

ice cube... he was growing more venomous by the day starting at straight outta compton ending with the predator!!!! one of the best runs in hip hop, crazy evolution!!!!!!

havoc... he got better as the years went on, i always liked hav as an emcee, his consistency is underrated!!!! he merked infamy and amerikaz nightmare inside out!!!!!!!

ruck aka sean price... he was always nice, but he dropped monkey barz outta nowhere and was nicer than ever!!!!!!!

THE MASON
01-02-2010, 08:03 PM
Scarface imo

although the Geto Boys were mad ill but i think there is a case

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-02-2010, 08:03 PM
@Hollow
What about Rubberband Man?

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-02-2010, 08:10 PM
eminem... maybe he was more entertaining early on, but its not hard to argue that his multi's, flow, and vocal quality all got better with time!!!!!! his clarity, and versatility in approach track to track rhythmically is master level!!!!!!

biggie... i think RTD is his best album, but his skillset had gone up a level or two by the time LAD hit!!!!! storytelling, presence, flow, versatility, tonal control.... everything was elevated!!!!!!

havoc... he got better as the years went on, i always liked hav as an emcee, his consistency is underrated!!!! he merked infamy and amerikaz nightmare inside out!!!!!!!

Wow really fam? I thought Em's clarity was unmatched on his early shit, and he was so loose back then with it. As for Biggie RTD was the most powerful/dominating mic performance ever seen. Some of the shit on LAD was way below imo. Havoc I think stayed fairly steady but for me again, not matching infamous or h.o.e.

And thats not even mentioning this shit!!

lEV-VHaJ0_g

^classic joint IMO, the best Illmatic clone ive heard.

racist randy
01-02-2010, 08:15 PM
@Hollow
What about Rubberband Man?
From what I've heard it seems he is trying to get more lyrical on the mic. Paper Trail (Besides ok beats) he was saying something on the Mic. I'm Serious (His first LP) he sounded like your regular nigga. 24's is still my shit though lol

angry!
01-02-2010, 08:23 PM
i agree that em was making better music early on... but his skillset got bigger and better as time went on in my opinion!!!!! his ability to incorporate melody in his music continues to get better, as does his breathe control, when i hear a song like "medicine ball" off of relapse i hear a fully realized eminem!!!!!!! impossible rhyme pattern and cadence, liquid flow, and crystal clarity!!!! if you havent heard that lacey give it a spin and get back to me!!!! curious to see what you think!!!!!!! niggas bitch about the accent, but real heads know his voice has always been his biggest deficieny as an emcee!!!! hes done a lot to improve that!!!!!!!

TZOosCLV6h0

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
01-02-2010, 08:27 PM
jay-z got better at making money

zooruka
01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
inspectah deck

fatboybrandon
01-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeah I agree on Outkast, Pac, Common and Lil Wayne. I like the example of how Wayne established his own identity in a strong way after years as a group with Cash Money, the lyrics seemed to improve too with more clever wordplay, style and ideas. It has been inspirational to witness.

With Outkast, Pac & Common I think it has been an example of each MC finding themselves after alot of hard work, and from there gaining confidence and pouring more passion into their craft. I've gained similar satisfaction in life by sticking to what I do.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_LIn2OA5JYaw/RhrfWLlKonI/AAAAAAAAAAM/ldW06C6_4l8/s320/spec.jpg

One of my favorite all time MCs to showed signs of improvement in their career is Special Ed. I'm still amazed when comparing Youngest In Charge which he recorded at 16, to Legal. I hope the standard of lyrical skill he brought is never forgotten in the history of hip hop, and inspires teens to have an advanced level of intellect.

My second would b Black Thought of The Roots. To listen from Organix to Do You Want More?, then Illadelph Halflife and on I think is to witness one of the greatest lyricists of our generation. I agree on Scarface too, one of my favorite storytellers. The fact that he recruited some dope production later in his career made his lyrics even more outstanding.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-02-2010, 08:56 PM
inspectah deck

ahaha.

It's been 22 long hard years and still strugglin
Survival got me buggin, but I'm alive on arrival
I peep at the shape of the streets
And stay awake to the ways of the world cause shit is deep
A man with a dream with plans to make C.R.E.A.M.
Which failed; I went to jail at the age of 15
A young buck sellin drugs and such who never had much
Trying to get a clutch at what I could not touch
The court played me short, now I face incarceration
Pacin', going up state's my destination
Handcuffed in back of a bus, 40 of us
Life as a shorty shouldn't be so rough
But as the world turns I learned life is Hell
Living in the world, no different from a cell
Everyday I escape from Jakes givin chase, sellin base
Smokin bones in the staircase
Though I don't know why I chose to smoke sess
I guess that's the time when I'm not depressed
But I'm still depressed, and I ask what's it worth?
Ready to give up so I seek the Old Earth
Who explained working hard may help you maintain
to learn to overcome the heartaches and pain
We got stickup kids, corrupt cops, and crack rocks
and stray shots, all on the block that stays hot
Leave it up to me while I be living proof
To kick the truth to the young black youth
But shorty's running wild, smokin sess, drinkin beer
And ain't trying to hear what I'm kickin in his ear
Neglected for now, but yo, it gots to be accepted
That what? That life is hectic

For better or worse, that WAS Deck's career peak. Theres no argueing. Not a bad peak either, considering it was one of the verses of the 90's.

Not just because of its clarity and vividness, but the context it was recorded in, dude was literally JUST off the block, just spitting the purest form of rap. This is what rap is at its best - an expression. Not some punchline rap4rapping bullshit.

YungSunny
01-02-2010, 09:03 PM
nas.
every album he steps up lyrically.

I'm expecting to see someone dickride illmatic or say nas lost.

angry!
01-02-2010, 09:10 PM
you lost

you were supposed to be nothing more than a blowjob in the backseat when illmatic came out!!!!!

nasty nas is the nas everyone fucks with... he been chasing the ghost of that delivery ever since!!!!!

this is coming from a big nas fan, so dont spew your gerbers at me cock boy!!!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-02-2010, 09:16 PM
nas.

I'm expecting to see someone dickride illmatic or say nas lost.

I might not of bothered replying to this cry for attention if you hadnt said that he "stepped it up lyrically"

Son you asking for a ban at this point. Nas lyrically peaked the entire hip hop genre on Illmatic. I dont think Nas is the smartest dude but he came off like the ghetto Shakespeare back then and everyone knows this

DUMBO
01-02-2010, 09:42 PM
slick rick the ruler. although he's not producing nearly enough these days, every verse he drops is amazing.

hands down, most entertaining and talented rapper in the game. worldwide.

spiggity_ace
01-02-2010, 10:56 PM
killah priest for sure

yea havoc develoiped more as an mc as the years went along but i honeslty always thought he was the shit i never understood how people called him wack and said he couldnt keep up with prodigy, 95 percent of mcs in that era wouldnt be able to keep up with prodigy

i think b real has stayed pretty consistent but hes spread out topics as well so he is up for this as well

i agree on pac as well

i gotta talk abuot em, cuz he was always dope to me, but recently hes changed his flow up and theirs way more itnernal rhymes thatn their usd to be even though he had a lot, and he still makes sick lines so i duno if i think hes better now or before but he could be in this conversation as well

immortal technique has improved on every part of his spittin as hes gone along

tech n9ne but hes alwasy been dope, although his ability to make songs has gone up that KOD was hjis best to me and his flow and everything is just amazing

GZA to me has stayed consistent but his flow has tailed off, lyrically i think hes improved since liquid swrods and definitely from words from the genius

g rap is going to always be dope as well

Poetic Wun
01-03-2010, 02:24 AM
nas.
hm-mm:no:

Dr Sleepwalker
01-03-2010, 03:01 AM
Evidence from Dilated Peoples.

davedigital360
01-03-2010, 03:33 AM
Jay z got better with age. This guy has been dropping some serious fire. But it's not on first listen. You got to really take in what he is saying. The Black Album is when I realized how ill Jay was.

ALCATRAZ
01-03-2010, 03:51 AM
jay is ok but prodigy > jay

claaa7
01-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Jay z got better with age. This guy has been dropping some serious fire. But it's not on first listen. You got to really take in what he is saying. The Black Album is when I realized how ill Jay was.

yeah Jigga is one of the illest to ever do it, but he's pretty straight-forward with his shit these days tho he spits some ill metaphors and similies. but i mean come on, check "Reasonable Doubt" where he used all of his potence (before dumbing down to sell 5 mil), that shit is fucking AMAZING!! too bad we'll prolly never hear Jay like that again.. you can re-visit that LP one time every day for 1 year and prolly hear something new on day 365. for real!

Frank Sobotka
01-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Chamillionaire peaked at his 2nd album, venom is going to suck

Tommy
01-03-2010, 11:13 AM
I'm gonna' have to say Big Boi, Andre 3000 and Black Thought. OutKast's first album was no doubt solid even though they were mainly rapping about parties, drinking, smoking, girls, cadillacs etc. etc. then they stepped it up and got a bit more abstract with ATLiens before peaking (imo) on Aquemini with some amazingly crafted lyrics and style, and obviously Stankonia was a dope album that progressed their skills as an MC further.

Black Thought is pretty obvious as his work on DYWM?!?! was good, but his work on Things Fall Apart was truly awesome, and since then he's only shone and shone.

Uncle Steezo
01-03-2010, 11:22 AM
dr dre
busta
young jeezy- jeezy is on some shit now.
g3FtFKWFElM

cap
01-03-2010, 11:28 AM
dr dre

you mean his ghostwriters got better. dre is not a rapper. everybody knows that.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Jeezy popped into my head when I made the thread but then I decided not, hes been pretty much consistant;y the same all through, alotta fans prefer 101, some think Recession, and IMO The Inspiration was his best

baby jesus
01-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Two Rappers I Always Thought Got Better With Each Verse Or Song For Awhile Are Eminem And Redman.

Eminem-From The Slim Shady Lp To The Marshall Mathers Lp I Thought Every Verse He Got Better. Seriously Look At The Slim Shady Lp Then Listen To His Verse On Dead Wrong No Contest Then Marshall Mathers Album Came Out And Was Superior To The Slim Shady Album.

Redman-Although Some Of His Best Verses Came Earlier In His Career I Think His Best Album Is Muddy Waters His Third Album. He Was Also Dropping A Lot Of Classic Verses On Other Shit At The Time 4,3,2,1 And Beast From The East I Always Looked At Those Couple Of Years As His Prime.

fatboybrandon
01-03-2010, 02:02 PM
slick rick the ruler. although he's not producing nearly enough these days, every verse he drops is amazing.

hands down, most entertaining and talented rapper in the game. worldwide.

I'm glad to hear Rick sounding nearer to what his delivery sounded like on his first album, when I hear his new songs with Mos Def & others. I remember when I heard his 1991 album, I thought it wasn't as strong a performance than his classic 1st album.

I'm happy with Andre the Giant's progress as a writer, great punchlines, visual description and metaphors still going strong today. He elevated from his 1st EP and has held his own outside of DITC with a consistent level of skill. He was always an outstanding talent from the very beginning though, like Special Ed.

from this in 1992...
Fp-dMSJRcjU

to this in 2008.
SL2GXKVPfd4

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-03-2010, 02:04 PM
SLick Rick didnt get better, on any album after his debut, thsi is inda universal knowledge.

Mona Lisa
Childrens Story
Hey Young World
Teenage Love
The Show

This is Slick Rick at his peak.

angry!
01-03-2010, 02:07 PM
you mean his ghostwriters got better. dre is not a rapper. everybody knows that.

what!!?!?!?! dre raps... therefore hes a rapper!!!!!!

hes doesnt write, doesnt mean he doesnt rap... and hes always had a strong presence and delivery on the mic!!!!!!

another one that popped into my head is evidence out of dilated peoples... hes shown so much more than he ever did as a member of dilated in his solo efforts, he improved across the board!!!!!!!

fatboybrandon
01-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Slick Rick's 1st album, one of the first hip hop albums I ever owned...

Treach of Naughty By Nature took an incredible jump lyrically from stuff he was doing in 89 into mainstream success, alot of people may be unaware of his early work in the group The New Style. Even then you can hear the potential of talent.

1989 - trading verses with Vinnie
OK5aiJaTJDo

1992 - "flow tracks go back like the hairline of Kojak, I'm a no slack nigga that's pro black"
fNvwjxn8t-0

1995 - more complex writing on The Craziest
h7J1sfpL8u4

Cthulhu
01-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Kool G Rap is the first that comes to mind for me. "Road to the Riches" is a sick album with tons of great battle rhymes, but his storytelling and swagger got better on "Wanted: Dead or Alive" and then peaked to an amazing pitch at "Live and Let Die." He plateaued after that and seems to have kept it consistent since.

EPMD, especially Erick Sermon. First two albums are classic, of course, and E-Double made his main weakness - his slurred speech impediment - his strength on those, but both he and Parrish stepped it up a ton on the next two albums and the solo releases. They got fire under their flows and could actually spit vicious.

Uncle Steezo
01-03-2010, 03:08 PM
SLick Rick didnt get better, on any album after his debut, thsi is inda universal knowledge.

Mona Lisa
Childrens Story
Hey Young World
Teenage Love
The Show

This is Slick Rick at his peak.

not really, tho those are legendary songs. i can see how you'd think that.
but after he did his bid, slick was a beast.

this is a better ricky, speaking from a lyrics/delivery position.
UEo6tTVIG0A
E_ee416tNdU

then he killed the "Art of Storytellin"
MPGcH-AaZB8

cap
01-03-2010, 03:10 PM
what!!?!?!?! dre raps... therefore hes a rapper!!!!!!

hes doesnt write, doesnt mean he doesnt rap... and hes always had a strong presence and delivery on the mic!!!!!!

another one that popped into my head is evidence out of dilated peoples... hes shown so much more than he ever did as a member of dilated in his solo efforts, he improved across the board!!!!!!!

nah he's not a rapper in my book, he's one of the best producers in hip hop of all time, but not a rapper. doesnt matter...

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-03-2010, 03:25 PM
haha shut up belgium.

i guess Eazy E isnt a rapper either right? ahaha.

cap
01-03-2010, 03:46 PM
haha shut up belgium.

i guess Eazy E isnt a rapper either right? ahaha.

not really, more of a smart street kid that wanted to make legit money.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-03-2010, 03:54 PM
haha ok belgium.

eazy e isnt a rapper.

YungSunny
01-03-2010, 04:10 PM
you lost

you were supposed to be nothing more than a blowjob in the backseat when illmatic came out!!!!!

nasty nas is the nas everyone fucks with... he been chasing the ghost of that delivery ever since!!!!!

this is coming from a big nas fan, so dont spew your gerbers at me cock boy!!!!!
hahahahaha......okeeeey moving on....
I might not of bothered replying to this cry for attention if you hadnt said that he "stepped it up lyrically"

Son you asking for a ban at this point. Nas lyrically peaked the entire hip hop genre on Illmatic. I dont think Nas is the smartest dude but he came off like the ghetto Shakespeare back then and everyone knows this

Lol aight excluding I am and nastradamus nas stepped up lyrically.
I see what you mean about how nas peaked hip hop in 94. Nobody else rhymed better when he first came out. But really though, take that thought of how much of an impact illmatic had in 94 and just compare him lyrically to It Was Written, God's Son, and Untitled. Yeah illmatic had better songs altogether and beats but lyrically nas got better and better over the years.

YungSunny
01-03-2010, 04:14 PM
hahahahaha y'all fucked up. Real nigga radio.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
01-03-2010, 04:28 PM
b-real... his skillset got deadlier each album from self titled to IV!!!!!!! the patterns this guy was coming up with in this period were next level!!!!!!

andre 3000.... his skillset got to the point he was competing with his last verse everytime he got ona track... by the time stankonia came around he was getting bored with 16's!!!!!! he didnt drop enough verses on that shit... but the verses he did lay made a lot of emcees wanna quit!!!!!!!

masta ace... he improved in nearly every category as years went by, his rhymes got more personal, and he dropped 2 of the most cinematic albums in hip hop at an age most emcees pass outside the game!!!!!!!

ice cube... he was growing more venomous by the day starting at straight outta compton ending with the predator!!!! one of the best runs in hip hop, crazy evolution!!!!!!

ruck aka sean price... he was always nice, but he dropped monkey barz outta nowhere and was nicer than ever!!!!!!!

agree i think people always slept on hav every since prodigy skills dipped havoc seem to prosper lyrically allot

DRUNKENDRAGON
01-03-2010, 06:36 PM
In my opinion Ghostface Killah continually elevates and or reinvents himself lyrically and should be considered in this discussion.

spiggity_ace
01-03-2010, 06:51 PM
i just reads angrys post in the first page and i realized our lsits are so similar, theirfore i shouldnt have even posted

that being said i gotta mention 8ball and mjg, cuz yea their definitely came out hard with their first album but over on the outside looking in and on top of the world 8ball was just spittin mad shit and same with mjg, his flow was just gaining steam, then they both came out and smashes everything with in our lifetime, they demonstrated their evolution on every track, making songs like paid dues, daylight which is one of the greatest sogns ever, throw ya hands up where i think they outshined kast they kept developing

War and Peace
01-03-2010, 10:13 PM
hell razah/DOOM/raekwon/kool g rap/sean p/jadakiss/masta ace

Afficial_Nastee
01-05-2010, 10:29 AM
LOL at people saying Eminem , ok The Marshall Mathers LP was the best follow up album you could think of after the legendary Slim Shady LP but after The Eminem Show he kinda fell off and I'm saying this as a big Eminem fan , matter fact he's my favourite rapper....

I would say that B-Real and Prodigy got better as their career went on , they were both at their lyrical peak on Temples of Boom and Hell on Earth....

djskillz
01-05-2010, 03:53 PM
that being said i gotta mention 8ball and mjg, cuz yea their definitely came out hard with their first album but over on the outside looking in and on top of the world 8ball was just spittin mad shit and same with mjg, his flow was just gaining steam, then they both came out and smashes everything with in our lifetime, they demonstrated their evolution on every track, making songs like paid dues, daylight which is one of the greatest sogns ever, throw ya hands up where i think they outshined kast they kept developing

I think MJG definitely stepped it up over the years but Ball was definitely at his peak on Comin Out Hard

THE W
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
rae/ghost/meth

beat selection killed their discographies though.

fatboybrandon
01-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I think MJG definitely stepped it up over the years but Ball was definitely at his peak on Comin Out Hard

I would like to go back and listen to a group like that now, that's one of those that I passed on in exchange for all the incredible East/West coast hip hop I was chasing after in the early 90's. Seems like southern sounding groups like them had some original sound that growing before major recognition.

Chino XL. I think he's improved lyrically, songwriting wise and beat selection, another one who showed high potential in his beginnings and found a unique identity later on. I think he'd be a threat to most MCs in this thread in a battle cypher

4Xew4xoc-Ao

zjOY8C83k38

x1HXJtB0drs

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-05-2010, 04:53 PM
rae/ghost/meth

}:|

TrickKnowledge
01-05-2010, 06:02 PM
How anyone can say Prodigy got better over time is beyond me. He belongs on a list of who fell off the hardest instead. He went from the most quoted MC of all time to not finding words that rhyme.

This has probably gotta go to Eminem & Andre 3000. That Infinite shit was decent but I have a problem with him having AZ's nuts down his throat all over that EP. When he finally found his own style he blew the fuck up and nobody could really test him on the mic. His flow today is insane.

Andre 3000 also got better per album. Even that Love Below is a work of art though he got a few rapping parts on it. He was just spitting on his first album then on ATLiens & Aquemini he started kicking knowledge.

Finally, I use to think 50 Cent was the most overrated rapper of all time for having so much success with very little talent until Lil Wayne blew up. Wayne is the master of rapping about nothing. It's astounding to me how much one motherfucker can rap about how great he is ON EVERY SINGLE TRACK and motherfuckers loving every second of it. How about telling a story ? Wayne's fans are the single most dumbest motherfuckers on the face of his earth. That guy is nothing special. Just because he drops a million verses a year doesnt mean shit. They are all about the same thing. He got no versatility (don't bring that garbage ass rock album experiment to me ) in his game and has the most annoying voice and delivery I've ever heard. I get fucking sick hearing this clown moan and giggle every 3 lines of ever song.

djskillz
01-05-2010, 06:03 PM
I would like to go back and listen to a group like that now, that's one of those that I passed on in exchange for all the incredible East/West coast hip hop I was chasing after in the early 90's. Seems like southern sounding groups like them had some original sound that growing before major recognition.

Check out

Comin Out Hard
Space Age Pimpin
On top of the World
On the Outside Lookin In

That should be a good start. Others might add or take off a couple albums.

Tecknowledgist
01-05-2010, 07:00 PM
i can't believe somebody actually said nas

you might as well say canibus

fatboybrandon
01-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Wayne is the master of rapping about nothing. It's astounding to me how much one motherfucker can rap about how great he is ON EVERY SINGLE TRACK and motherfuckers loving every second of it. How about telling a story ? Wayne's fans are the single most dumbest motherfuckers on the face of his earth. That guy is nothing special. Just because he drops a million verses a year doesnt mean shit. They are all about the same thing. He got no versatility (don't bring that garbage ass rock album experiment to me ) in his game and has the most annoying voice and delivery I've ever heard. I get fucking sick hearing this clown moan and giggle every 3 lines of ever song.

lol, I understand how ya feel TrickKnowldge. I feel Wayne's image and delivery is definitely laughable compared to most MCs talent I and other people have put in this thread. However I've learned to put him and other rappers who bring a party vibe in a separate category of listening than those other MCs who impress me with deep thought and impressive writing.

When I put on songs by or featuring Wayne, I don't look to be impressed with lyrical mastery in the sense of legendary MCs, I listen to get an overall vibe of energy that is good for being out at a club, thinking about women. I used to be annoyed by rappers like him, OJ, Gucci, but once I caught on to the purpose of their songs, I grew to like them as an escape from the thought-provoking, nostalgic vibe of chilling in Fat Beats record store, to the feeling of stepping into the energy of a party.

I guess it's up to the listener as to what they feel should rock a party or the true sound of hip hop, I personally think it's an interesting extension of the genre's style. If I had to get shipped off to a desert island for eternity tomorrow and had choose which side of hip hop to bring, I'd probably go with the more lyrical, classic stuff I've posted.

Tommy
01-06-2010, 06:26 AM
lol, I understand how ya feel TrickKnowldge. I feel Wayne's image and delivery is definitely laughable compared to most MCs talent I and other people have put in this thread. However I've learned to put him and other rappers who bring a party vibe in a separate category of listening than those other MCs who impress me with deep thought and impressive writing.

When I put on songs by or featuring Wayne, I don't look to be impressed with lyrical mastery in the sense of legendary MCs, I listen to get an overall vibe of energy that is good for being out at a club, thinking about women. I used to be annoyed by rappers like him, OJ, Gucci, but once I caught on to the purpose of their songs, I grew to like them as an escape from the thought-provoking, nostalgic vibe of chilling in Fat Beats record store, to the feeling of stepping into the energy of a party.

I guess it's up to the listener as to what they feel should rock a party or the true sound of hip hop, I personally think it's an interesting extension of the genre's style. If I had to get shipped off to a desert island for eternity tomorrow and had choose which side of hip hop to bring, I'd probably go with the more lyrical, classic stuff I've posted.

Exactly.

YungSunny
01-06-2010, 05:55 PM
DOOM
born like this was garbage.

Tommy
01-06-2010, 05:59 PM

Yeah ok and Rick Ross is ill.

11th Chamber
01-06-2010, 08:50 PM
I knew someone was going to mention Clipse and I knew id have to disagree and remind people Lord Willin WAS their best album.

Although on the 2nd WGIFC mixtape I thought they were incredible.

word, especially after the failure that was Casket Drops

DOOM murked that album

Subterranean Man
01-06-2010, 11:01 PM
My bad for not taking the time to read through every page, but I just wanted to say Prodigy. I think he improved, even though he only has two solo albums and a mixtape that I know about.

spiggity_ace
01-07-2010, 12:03 AM

definitely check out wut dj skillz recommended BUT add in our lifetime to that list, that to me is their 2nd best album,
also check some of their guest apperances

GXTpy9lYzI8
^this is one of the only times i can hoenslty admit krayzie gets outsined by a non bone member, mjg straight murked this

S-nqD7NS-i4

Wel73bJ25vA

h7a45Jws1vw

whitey
01-07-2010, 01:14 AM

:no:

CHRONZ
01-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Phontigga!

TrickKnowledge
01-07-2010, 02:08 PM

Cellz is garbage ????????
Ballskin ????????????
Batty Boyz ????????
Gazillion Ear ?????????
That's That ???????
Yessir! ????????????

Eat a bullet kid.

YungSunny
01-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Yeah ok and Rick Ross is ill.
http://www.rapreviews.com/year/09manny.html
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=67081
"Rick Ross – Officer Ricky might have dropped one of the illest album of the year, but I’m sorry, that whole C.O. fiasco was just plain ‘ole silly. SMH"

DOOM murked that album
You expect me to consider your opinion when you called till the casket drops bad? Ha.
Phontigga!

Cellz is garbage ????????
Ballskin ????????????
Batty Boyz ????????
Gazillion Ear ?????????
That's That ???????
Yessir! ????????????

Eat a bullet kid.
Even if those tracks were great that wouldn't make up for the other 12tracks of wackness, sorry.

angry!
01-07-2010, 03:48 PM
http://www.rapreviews.com/year/09manny.html
http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=67081
"Rick Ross – Officer Ricky might have dropped one of the illest album of the year, but I’m sorry, that whole C.O. fiasco was just plain ‘ole silly. SMH"

You expect me to consider your opinion when you called till the casket drops bad? Ha.

Even if those tracks were great that wouldn't make up for the other 12tracks of wackness, sorry.
you just name checked XXL and rap reviews... good job dick head!!!!!

born like this is the most street heavy, rawest shit doom ever dropped, its no suprise you thought it was wack!!!!!

lil nigga still crossing the street with his moms aid but hes gonna critique street material!?!?!? fuck outta here you bitter piece of shit, youre miserable at 15!!!!!! think about that!!!!!!!

Tommy
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
you just name checked XXL and rap reviews... good job dick head!!!!!

born like this is the most street heavy, rawest shit doom ever dropped, its no suprise you thought it was wack!!!!!

lil nigga still crossing the street with his moms aid but hes gonna critique street material!?!?!? fuck outta here you bitter piece of shit, youre miserable at 15!!!!!! think about that!!!!!!!

Couldn't have put it better.

@YungSunny Thing is kid, you say Rick Ross is ill and then link us to some review site, yet Doom (one of the illest and most consistent in the game atm) you call wack?!?!? What the fuck are you talking about?

YungSunny
01-07-2010, 08:40 PM
I never said mf doom was wack, madvillainy and operation doomsday is my shit. Born into this was just wack. I'm sorry but it was.

Do you niggas purposely modify what you read just for a reason to argue?

And again I sincerely want to apologize for not having the same opinion as you guys, I never wanted to be that guy.

Tommy
01-08-2010, 12:55 PM
I never said mf doom was wack, madvillainy and operation doomsday is my shit. Born into this was just wack. I'm sorry but it was.

Do you niggas purposely modify what you read just for a reason to argue?

And again I sincerely want to apologize for not having the same opinion as you guys, I never wanted to be that guy.

Usually I wouldn't have a problem with people stating differing opinions, but seeing as you had a go at me for saying I didn't like "Ice Cream" as much as I did other Wu songs, you and your wack ass opinion can suck my dick.

J-DON
01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
DOOM hasnt gotten better. Lyrically i say he kept it on par on born like this but beatwise took a huge dip.

Sean Price has improved from the heltah skeltah days and im always looking forward to some new Sean P.

Lil Wayne has gotten better since early Cash Money.

Kanye has really improved on the Mic since college dropout and has dropped some of the more memorable verses in recent memory (hate if you will)

Young Jeezy is better now than when he first came out as well.

BrklynZoo
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Guru...until he started working with Solar, and RA the Rugged Man

GhettoGnom
01-12-2010, 03:51 PM
Deacon, Natti & Kno, though their musical peak as CL was at APOS, Sean Price, Tonedeff, Ghost for a while, Slug, P.O.S., Masta Ace, G Rap, 2pac, Tech N9ne though he's fallen off hard again, Busta Rhymes, Immortal Technique, Dilated Peoples & The Roots..

Noodles
01-12-2010, 04:35 PM
black thought

Tommy
08-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Just want to rebirth this thread because I've been listening to a lot of De La Soul lately and it hit me just how well Posdnuos developed over each album.

On 3 Feet High & Rising he's just free-flowingly having fun on records, not really putting much thought into what's being said but rapping very nicely which was the style at the time with a lot of MC's. No doubt, the music was hot and like no other album seen at the time, but I doubt anybody was going, "Damn!! Who's this Pos guy?!?".

De La Soul Is Dead was a complete and utter shock in comparison with the previous album, beats and rhyme wise. Pos' style got more darker, satrical, and edgy than what he had shown before. Millie Pulled A Pistol... and My Brother's A Basehead show this perfectly; there's no way you would've found anything close to them on 3 Feet High.

Buhloone Mindstate is not just incredible musically, but for the maturation of Pos and Trugoy. Listen to "I Am I Be", "Breakadawn", and "In The Woods" with his infamous quote of, "FUCK being hard Posdnuos is complicated". Damn.

Stakes Is High is where he began really taking it to the next level. He wasn't just this happy-go-lucky, goofy, smart ass anymore, he was a intelligent, sarcastic, biting MC who no longer gives a fuck what he says or who he offends. If he doesn't like something, he's gonna pull it up, just look at this verse from the album's title track:

"Yo, people go through pain and still don't gain
Positive contact just like my main man
Who got others cleaning up his physical influence
His mind got congested
He got the nine and blew it
Neighborhoods are now hoods cause nobody's neighbors
Just animals surviving with that animal behavior
Under I who be rhyming from dark to light sky
Experiments when needles and skin connect
No wonder where we live is called the projects
When them stakes is high you damn sure try to do
Anything to get the piece of the pie
Electrify
Even die for the cash
But at last I be out even though you wantin' more
This issue is closed like an elevator door
But soon re-opened once we get to the next floor where the..."

In fact, throw Trugoy in there as well because without him there'd be no De La. And he definitely improved over time as well. Two of the most underrated MC's out there who need to be recognised.

Tito_Para Enfrente
08-20-2010, 12:32 AM
i want to say Cam ´ron , juelz santana , jim jones .

shystar36
08-20-2010, 01:52 AM
DE LA SOUL... nuff said.

Tecknowledgist
08-20-2010, 04:27 AM
Raekwon. He went from getting outshined all over his own debut album to being the Wu-MVP in 2009.

Kool G Rap. He's killin' it.

RUGGED MAN

Damon
08-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Nas? Inspecktah Deck?

Shit, read the title bitches!

MCs on in incline....not the decline!....lol

Obvious pics : Sean Price, MF DOOM, Kool G Rap and I hate to admit it, but Young Jeezy and Lil Wayne.

A few cats have mentioned De La Soul which is ridiculous. They're still good MCs but dudes have been around for like 25 years and your sayin they've progressed since they started? GTFOH! Might as well say KRS or DJ Premiere why your at it.

Damon
08-20-2010, 01:37 PM
oh yeah, not one of the top MCs to progress, but honourable mention to Cormega.

Ive been feelin his ish more in the past couple years than when he first dropped.