PDA

View Full Version : Discuss: Who had the best mic performance among these choices?

sdeblasi
01-04-2010, 05:32 PM
first off, this thread should have discussion on the topic not some other bullshit

second, these are 5 of what i consider the most dominant/powerful performances by these MCs on their respective albums...Do not take into consideration any other bullshit these artists may have released throughout the years, just look at what they did on these albums

So, who had the best performance among these?

Andre 3000 on "Aquemini"
NaS on "Illmatic"
Ghostface Killah on "Supreme Clientele"
Notorious BIG on "Ready to Die"
2Pac on "Me Against the World"

Afficial_Nastee
01-05-2010, 10:08 AM
Biggie .... Especially because it had a fair share of self deprecation and not too much bragging.... That Suicidal Thoughts track is also the reason why I say Biggie , respect for him that he took on the subject....

Frank Sobotka
01-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Nas on illmatic, pac on matw being a close 2nd

buckshotstheone
01-05-2010, 01:50 PM
illmatic = greatest hip hop album of all time < fact.

no contest.

sickdog
01-06-2010, 12:33 AM

no contest.

album with 10 tracks cant be greatest hip hop album of all times, and thats a fact. thats why BIG won awward back n 94, not Nas. illmatic is dope as a fuck and classick, but its just to short to be GOAT.

sickdog
01-06-2010, 12:34 AM
and i vote for BIG, imho in this list he is #1

Kenny Powers
01-06-2010, 01:23 AM
nas on illmatic trumps anything. You shoulda left that off the poll because it woulda been a harder choice with just the others

Crackhead Bob
01-06-2010, 04:29 AM
wow good choices

YungSunny
01-06-2010, 05:20 AM
You should just leave the choices to me against the world, aqueimini, and illmatic.
Nothing else touches those.

TrickKnowledge
01-06-2010, 05:31 AM
I kick a skill like Shaquille holds the pill, vocabulary spills I'm ill.....

Tommy
01-06-2010, 06:29 AM
album with 10 tracks cant be greatest hip hop album of all times, and thats a fact. thats why BIG won awward back n 94, not Nas. illmatic is dope as a fuck and classick, but its just to short to be GOAT.

*Sighs*

I'm not actually sure what you mean by "mic performance", but if it's taking into account lyrics, delivery, flow, versatility, subject etc. Then I'm going with Nas, followed by Biggie and then 2Pac.

I agree that maybe you should have left Illmatic off though.

buckshotstheone
01-06-2010, 07:25 AM

sorry guess i never got the memo about how many tracks are needed for something to be a classic album

claaa7
01-06-2010, 07:40 AM
damn gtfo here, all the old classics are no more than 10 tracks at the most.. check "Paid In Full" by Eric B and Rakim, there's only 7 MC tracks on there and that's still considered by many to be the GOAT album.

i'd rather have 10 insane tracks than 10 insane tracks and 3 average joints w/ great lyrics.

SKAMPOE
01-06-2010, 07:49 AM
rdy2die imo

RALPH WIGGUM
01-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Biggie

SKAMPOE
01-06-2010, 08:19 AM
as far a mic presence n over all mic skillz, the biggie album litterally hypnotized a mu fucka..

fatboybrandon
01-06-2010, 08:23 AM
damn gtfo here, all the old classics are no more than 10 tracks at the most.. check "Paid In Full" by Eric B and Rakim, there's only 7 MC tracks on there and that's still considered by many to be the GOAT album.

i'd rather have 10 insane tracks than 10 insane tracks and 3 average joints w/ great lyrics.

I second that notion,

I think the speed of communication nowadays is taking away from "quality over quantity", artists are thinning themselves out by releasing too much material, rather than put their all into a modest amount of songs.

this is a good poll, but kind of a hard choice, since each MC varies from one another in their style of delivery on those albums. I choose Illmatic a little bit over Ready To Die.

KillahBee09
01-06-2010, 08:34 AM
From the list ill go with Nas, but G Rap's mic performance on Live and et Die imo is the greatest/most dominating emceeing ever put to wax, and id say that Andre peaked at ATLiens

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-06-2010, 08:55 AM
IMPOSSIBLE LIST TO CHOOSE FROM LOL

EVen though I think Nas, I voted for Andre3k. Votes wouldve been more interesting without Illmatic though l!! How can you vote against that really?

claaa7
01-06-2010, 01:37 PM
nice thread and nice chooices, my vote went to "illmatic".... BUT,

QUESTION: Where is Rakim on "Paid in Full"?? that's the most quoted and bitten performance of any hip-hop album of all time.

angry!
01-06-2010, 01:50 PM
first off all these are classic performances, so its hard to go wrong!!!!

for me.... i go with nas on illmatic!!!!!!!

anyone bitching about the length of illmatic needs to adjust their perspective!!!!!

illmatic is one giant quotable, not one bar is wasted... and nas set new standard of emceeing skillwise that no ones been able to top since... including himself!!!!!!

everyone of those performances is incredible though!!!!!

ALCATRAZ
01-06-2010, 01:58 PM
i voted for pac matw because not only does he kick rhymes and control the mic but he kicks knowledge at the same time ... illmatic was more of nas displaying lyrical skill and showcasin his abilities and that surpasses pac at least on that album, but pac had the lyrical skill and the gangsta shit and the message to go along with it ... pac was a complete artist from jump, the others had 2 build themselves up, nas included

Tommy
01-06-2010, 02:06 PM
i voted for pac matw because not only does he kick rhymes and control the mic but he kicks knowledge at the same time ... illmatic was more of nas displaying lyrical skill and showcasin his abilities and that surpasses pac at least on that album, but pac had the lyrical skill and the gangsta shit and the message to go along with it ... pac was a complete artist from jump, the others had 2 build themselves up, nas included

Nas kicked knowledge as well, maybe not to the extent of Pac but he definitley made you think about shit.

angry!
01-06-2010, 02:07 PM

illmatic was a complete album from a complete artist homie!!!!!!

its niggas still waiting for that nas to comeback!!!!!!!!

im not knockin your choice of pac homie, just establishing the fact nas presented the complete package on illmatic!!!!!!!!

Guarded By Martyrs
01-06-2010, 02:33 PM

no contest.

Wu-Forever >>>>>> Illmatic

I'll go with Ghostface.
I was amazed by how free and effortless he sounded.
And at the time I bought the album, I'd never heard anyone rhyme like that
Except for some Warcloud verses, so I was really feeling that style
And he still holds elements in that vein today.

That album was so soulful and funky, things which I don't usually go for
But with Ghost's elaborate ryhme schemes over the bizarre production
It really added to an already incredible talent for that album.
His mic presence on "Mighty Healthy" alone was just ridiculous.

THE MASON
01-06-2010, 02:39 PM
all classics.

its a toss up between illmatic and SC for me. Ghost drops some of his craziest rhymes and patterns ever but Nas on Illmatic was flawless and effortless.

vote goes to Ghost though, SC just made me re look at things in hip hop when i first heard it. the pure energy when Ghost rhymes is unmatched imo

YungSunny
01-06-2010, 05:49 PM
This isn't a discussion on what album is better you stupid fucks.

It's who was the better mc.

Either way, andre wins.

Poetic Wun
01-06-2010, 06:18 PM
BIG, he just came wit it all around........... Nas was ill too but the versatility Big displays is what overthrew Nas.
he showed that suicide mind state, the partyish flow on Big Poppa, the commercial side on Juicy while keepin subject matter relevant, a love story wrapped in a thugs tale, battled with Meth on The What and can't nobody forget Gimmie The Loot.
While these are all good choices, Biggie bounces off walls on this album... imo.
Maybe he was a lil selfish with this since he wasn't spittin anything conscious like Nas was or MC New York but he did his thing.

co-sign claa's last post

yonatan15
01-07-2010, 10:58 AM
Biggie..

baritone
01-07-2010, 02:12 PM
i went with nas

honorable mentions:

gza on liquid swords

black thought on illadelph halflife

sdeblasi
01-07-2010, 02:30 PM
damn i havent been here in a couple days and this thread blew up...

anyway, i picked these choices since i hear these talked about a lot here and other places...im not saying there arent better performances or other choices out there (Paid in Full, Illadelph), etc. but these 5 to me were always standouts

Andre on Aquemini - didn't waste one verse on Aquemini, flowed effortlessly on every track mixing up his tempo and delivery and touching on tons of topics

Ghost on SC - like Whers said it was an abstract, free delivery just spitting shit that only Ghost would ever come up with making the listener try to decipher every line for himself

Nas on Illmatic - Quotes for days, a hungry Nas, what everyone else said

Biggie on RTD - dominated the mic, touched on dark personal topics not many would touch on, and his flow could hypnotize you like someone ele said

Pac on MATW - IMO had the message on this album that others lacked on theirs. He may not have had the wordplay of some of the others but he dominated the album with raw emotion.

Tough choice....i still havent voted

Tracks
01-08-2010, 08:53 AM

your wrong about it not being able to be the best album, because it is.