PDA

View Full Version : Kanye Working on New Album - Taking a Further Step Away From Rap?

Sky Blue Bally Kid
01-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Kanye West begins recording new album

Rapper looks to Gill Scott-Heron and Nina Simone for inspiration

Kanye West has revealed he is currently in the studio recording new material.

Speaking on his Kanyeuniversecity.com blog, West hinted that he'll be taking a further step away from rap on the album, and likened himself to a "true poet".

"I'm so happy to be back in the studio making new music. I will bring you the best I have to offer with the same dedication that Kobe [Bryant, LA Lakers' shooting guard] has on the court," he wrote.

He added: "It's funny how so many rappers get worse as their careers stretch out, but true poets get better. We will follow in the footsteps of Maya Angelou, Gill Scott-Heron and Nina Simone. Their work improved with time. They documented what was happening in culture. That is our responsibility as the modern day artists and poets."

West, who's last album '808s & Heartbreak' was released in 2008, added that he wants to bring a sense of realism to the new material.

"Let us look past headlines and deal with just a bit of reality in this new decade. We have our own outlets now. We don't have to believe everything anymore," he said. "Now I'll figure out a way to make that rhyme."

Source - http://www.nme.com/news/kanye-west/49062

Krimewave
01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
I don't think "Rap" will miss him too much tbh.

Kanye = most over rated artist of the decade.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-05-2010, 09:34 AM
Ha, its funny how those emo cunts at NME have related being a "true poet" as meaning hes "moving further away from rap".

NME has been the most worthless shitmag of a music magazine for years.

I dont see anything he said that says hes moving away from rap, im not saying his new album wont be a rap album, but theres nothing there where he said that.

I respect Kanye for his artistic integrity alone, I look forward to this album more than many others I can think of. And he's exactly right when he talks about true rappers shouldnt get worse as they get older, they should get better, if they stay talking about real stuff that means something.

Alot of rappers these days have problems with moving past 'im a better rapper than you' (indie rap) to 'i have more money than you' (popular rap). They run out of things to say after a few songs.

Martial-Expert
01-05-2010, 09:56 AM
should be interesting to say the least

fatboybrandon
01-05-2010, 10:06 AM
the most worthless shitmag of a music magazine
^funnay description... I feel about the same way for alot of American media

I'm happy in a way that some print media is now non existent because of the net, but now some of society is getting lazy from not having to read as much

I dont see anything he said that says hes moving away from rap, im not saying his new album wont be a rap album, but theres nothing there where he said that.

I think the comparison between moving away from being a rapper to being a true poet is the part we have to look for and discover when it comes out, maybe we won't really find out the difference until we hear it. I think Kanye has been good at surprising people so far with his music, whatever he decides to represent as a "poet" should turn out to be entertaining

ALCATRAZ
01-05-2010, 03:07 PM
kanye is old news even in rap

crds
01-06-2010, 12:36 AM
Fuck Kanye.

Kenny Powers
01-06-2010, 02:21 AM
Go taylor swift, boo kanye