PDA

View Full Version : The Beatles

tajeco
09-29-2005, 12:47 AM
The lads are my favorite group next to Wu-Tang. I've been saying "Wu-Tang Killer Beatles" since like 1998. I read the Anthology, and it turns out they started out totally different than what they are seen as "the early Beatles". They were first big in Hamburg Germany. Wearing leather jackets and cowboy boots, in clubs with fights breaking out, chairs flying through the air, blood on the floor. Playing music they were hearing from America in the late 50's. Real Rhythm & Blues such as Fats Domino, and country rock like Buddy Holly and Carl Perkins. Also Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis Presley. They combined different styles and made it their own. When they got signed in London to a major label, they were told to change their image and write "POPular songs". (Lennon even said they were an experiment in marketing.) Then Pete Best was replaced by Ringo Starr, for reasons still unknown fully. Ringo wasn't a lot better. Pete was the most popular with the girls. I don't feel like writing the whole history. Just, the Walrus was John, and Yoko did NOT break them up.

crass
09-29-2005, 12:53 AM
yeah i read somewhere that they shit on stage and shit. they definitely didnt' start out as tame as they were when they exploded. i'm not a tremendous beatles fan but i appreciate them.

Holmes
09-29-2005, 08:17 AM
They had to give up playing live cause of all the screaming girls, nobody could hear the music. Thats when they went to the studio and became creative.
The White album is genius.

dojo_pros
09-29-2005, 12:30 PM
the beatles are fuckin amazing! going the cavern on sunday to watch arctic monkeys

smo
10-03-2005, 10:44 AM
beatles are da mudafuckin shit! magical mystery tour is da best!!!
george's my favorit.

peace!

Jabba Jaw
10-03-2005, 11:42 AM
hate the band and the bug and the car

each tot there own tho

ShaDynasty
06-24-2006, 01:29 PM
i been listening to the album 'revolver' at work this week
really good album, dont think its their best, 'magical mystery tour', 'sergeant pepper' 'white album' and their last 2 are better
but revolver is more fresh in my memory
1. Taxman -2:39 (All songs written by Lennon/McCartney, except where noted) (5/5 really funky joint)
2. Eleanor Rigby -2:07 (5/5 another classic)
3. I'm Only Sleeping -3:01 (5/5)
4. Love You To -3:01 (Harrison) (hate this song, weak sitar shit dodgy 'trippy' sound)
5. Here, There, and Everywhere -2:25 (3/5 bit slow for me
6. Yellow Submarine -2:40 (2/5 one of their worst songs)
7. She Said, She Said -2:37 (5/5)
8. Good Day Sunshine -2:09 (5/5 brilliant! wish these songs were longer)
9. And Your Bird Can Sing -2:01 (5/5 fuckin brilliant song puts a smile on my face)
10. For No One -2:01 (4/5)
11. Doctor Robert -2:15 (4/5)
12. I Want to Tell You -2:29 (Harrison) (5/5)
13. Got to Get You in My Life -2:30 (5/5 another standout, almost has a motown kinda vibe)
14. Tomorrow Never Knows -2:57 (another trippy joint i hated)

Damo_Suzuki
06-24-2006, 07:35 PM
I think John is unfairly idolised as the 'genius' of The Beatles when Paul wrote just as much classic material and was the steering force behind their best albums.

arto
06-24-2006, 08:46 PM
best beatles song = happiness is a warm gun

Rooty P
06-24-2006, 09:16 PM
The Beatles were incredible. John Lennon was an incredible man.

ShaDynasty
06-25-2006, 03:23 AM
I think John is unfairly idolised as the 'genius' of The Beatles when Paul wrote just as much classic material and was the steering force behind their best albums.
co sign
same for 2pac overated cos hes dead

tacle
06-25-2006, 07:15 AM
co sign
same for 2pac overated cos hes dead

Nah man, okay 2Pac was talked about more and people loved his music when he died, but still 2Pac was realist rapper ever when he was alive, he was the shit.

Damo_Suzuki
06-25-2006, 12:11 PM
I agree about 2Pac being overrated cos of death - seems to be the way with lots of famous people - Elvis, James Dean, Kurt Cobain etc etc. I don't think Pac really took music seriously as an art form either.

I love 'You Never Give Me Your Money'.

ShaDynasty
06-25-2006, 03:41 PM
Nah man, okay 2Pac was talked about more and people loved his music when he died, but still 2Pac was realist rapper ever when he was alive, he was the shit.
he IS overated
he had one hot album and his flow wasnt all that, plus he was caught up in his own idiotic thug fantasy, i dont respect him as being gangsta he just wanted to be one

tacle
06-25-2006, 03:44 PM
he IS overated
he had one hot album and his flow wasnt all that, plus he was caught up in his own idiotic thug fantasy, i dont respect him as being gangsta he just wanted to be one

and he is the one, his lyrics may not of been that good, but seriously man, what he had to say was revelant, he talked bout the real shit, who cares if he didn't have punch lines and shit, thats all people go for these days.

ShaDynasty
06-25-2006, 03:50 PM
and he is the one.
not gangsta
just stupid
lol @ 'thug life'
well john lennon had more talent than pac, and i dont even rate him that highly
one of slick ricks favorite songs is the beatles 'do you want to know a secret'
anyone feelin that song? one of the older ones, before the drugs
you know paul just split up with heather, he only quit smoking weed cos of her, maybe hell start again and make some real trippy music
paul and ringo should make an album

tacle
06-25-2006, 03:52 PM
Your opinion i respect that, i have mine, so respect mine too
I don't wanna get too hype over this shit.

Cool.

Damo_Suzuki
06-28-2006, 03:15 PM
plus he was caught up in his own idiotic thug fantasy, i dont respect him as being gangsta he just wanted to be one

Exactly what I dislike about him - he comes off sounding really whiney and pathetic, deluded by his aspirations at being a gangster.

A great but little known Beatles song is 'It's All Too Much' from the Yellow Submarine film - upbeat rocker, 8 minutes long, catchy as hell.

Eddie
06-29-2006, 07:47 PM
Beatles are the shit Zeppelin better den dem tho :)

6 Brix
11-26-2007, 04:24 PM
whats the best beatles album ?

ShaDynasty
11-26-2007, 04:34 PM
from 'Help' onwards, you can't go wrong with any of them. I would go for the 'White Album' but thats mostly cos its got the most songs, infact it might be overwhelming to someone new to their music. Probably 'Sergeant Peppers', its got psychedelic stuff on it but its still a really great melodic album.

oDoUoSoKo
11-26-2007, 06:07 PM
i love sgt. pepp, but i say abbey road, because of its consistency.

tobacojones
12-05-2007, 05:04 PM
Abbey Road totally rules, but I find myself skipping to the second half more often than not these days.

Revolver is the best place to start with them because it's poppy and upbeat but it has experimental shit all over the place.

Oh man Magical Mystery Tour is so fucking good. That album alone raises them above Zeppelin/Rolling Stones/Dylan.

I love the Beatles always.

The Flu
12-08-2007, 10:25 AM
best beatles album is Revolver.

LuckyTheWonderDog
12-08-2007, 10:55 AM
Watch Backbeat for some back story of the Beatles.

Not sure there's really much more to say about the Beatles though. Everything about every track has been discussed and analysed to pieces for years. There will be a million pages of stuff on the net already about them.

My favourite album is Rubber Soul.

I have to say though that they did make some awful music as well!

http://www.cosmostrading.nl/images/Rubber%20Soul.jpg

Jeru
12-08-2007, 11:09 AM
Rubber Soul is a very good album IMO. Magical Mystery Tour I can do without

Koolish
12-08-2007, 11:28 AM
there isn't a beatles song, original or cover, that i can really dislike. every piece of their work has something enjoyable.

my first album of theirs was Sgt. Pepper's and it remains my favorite.

if you smoke weed/do psychedelics it's hard not to like the Beatles.

LuckyTheWonderDog
12-08-2007, 11:33 AM
There are quite a few Beatles tracks I can't stand. Most notably (given it's possibly their biggest selling single) She Loves You.

Jeru
12-08-2007, 11:42 AM
True, The Beatles weren't perfect...they've done some rather iffy shit but overall one of the greatest groups

LuckyTheWonderDog
12-08-2007, 11:44 AM
Agreed. I just hate the way a lot of people get a bit obsessed with groups like The Beatles (and Wu) and deny that they ever put a foot wrong. It's all good if they really believe it, but most people just stop judging shit properly and just chalk them all up as classic.

Jeru
12-08-2007, 11:56 AM
Right...it's the same with these best albums ever lists...top 10 is like all Dylan and The Beatles...don't get me wrong they deserve to be there but come on...you can't fool me into believing that there isn't a single album better than certain Beatles albums in that top 10...pisses me off.

LuckyTheWonderDog
12-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Yeah. Sometimes the best way to do a list like that is to limit every artist to one album each.

Edgar Erebus
12-08-2007, 03:51 PM
whats the best beatles album ?

A fuck-up between Revolver and Sgt. Pepper, IMO. Revolver had some best trippy shit they were doing, and Sgt. Pepper is the most cohesive and funny record they made. And I think they ain't got no straight wack record... There was some uncohesive shit, but they need to be regarded for consistently doing fire for all of their career and having a massive amount of good shit in that phase.

I've been listening intensively to them for a few weeks now - and I think I most love songs "In My Life", "I'm Only Sleeping" and "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" (LSD) - been listening only to them for few hours straight.

I have to say though that they did make some awful music as well!

Like... ?

Jet Set
12-08-2007, 05:31 PM
I actually liked those trippy songs on Revolver. But too each his own. That 8 min version of It's All Too Much wasn't the LP version though. You know I'm quite anxious to hear that one piece they only played once at some party. That shit was really long and avant garde in the words of Harrison.

Jet Set
12-10-2007, 02:45 PM
this track

"Carnival of Light (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_of_Light)": A McCartney sound collage reportedly lasting ten to fifteen minutes, the piece was commissioned and recorded for use at a psychedelic London event in early 1967 - the "Carnival of Light Rave" - and expanded on the use of tape loops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_loop) that the Beatles had explored on "Tomorrow Never Knows (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow_Never_Knows)". [2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sgt._Pepper#_note-Lewisohn) "Carnival of Light" has not yet appeared on any release, be it official or a bootleg recording. However, a minute-long track claimed to be an excerpt from the song containing backwards, sped up electric guitar noises has appeared on various filesharing networks.

Rame
12-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Did anyone see their movies?

Classics. :thumbup:

6M3skID44Gg

Jeru
12-10-2007, 03:11 PM
LOL yeah the movies were great...Hard Day's Night is the best tho'...I now declare this bridge opened :lmao:

Rame
12-10-2007, 03:21 PM
Didn't see that one yet.

I think I'll order it one of these days.

Jet Set
12-10-2007, 04:21 PM
MMT is quite trippy in colours. But the script was just awkward. Typical british humour. Pre Monty Python stuff.

Jeru
12-10-2007, 05:33 PM
Didn't see that one yet.

I think I'll order it one of these days.

Be sure that you do man...for a true Beatles fan this movie is a must have

Kriszy Substance
12-10-2007, 11:48 PM
My daughter and I watch Help a good amount but I havent watched Hard Days Night in a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

I have this huge Beatles book that Im maybe half way through...anyway, tajecos mention of Pete Best reminded me of that story about the Beatles getting deported from Germany cause they set condoms on fire at the Kaiserkeller....dude who owned it was saying they are attempting arson or something...but if I recall, Beatles said they were snagging their belongings from his place but there were no lights so they used the lit condoms to see...

Jeru
12-11-2007, 04:17 AM
My daughter and I watch Help a good amount but I havent watched Hard Days Night in a long time. Thanks for the reminder.

I have this huge Beatles book that Im maybe half way through...anyway, tajecos mention of Pete Best reminded me of that story about the Beatles getting deported from Germany cause they set condoms on fire at the Kaiserkeller....dude who owned it was saying they are attempting arson or something...but if I recall, Beatles said they were snagging their belongings from his place but there were no lights so they used the lit condoms to see...

Beatles' Hamburg era = Backbeat :yes: great movie

Kriszy Substance
12-12-2007, 12:38 AM
Beatles' Hamburg era = Backbeat :yes: great movie

I didn't know about this...I saw the mention of Backbeat but wasn't sure what it was...thanks for the tip Jeru:yes:

INF
12-12-2007, 01:16 AM
I always liked the story behind "blue Jay way" of of Magical mystery tour. It was plain and simple. I can always see George in my head just sitting there alone and writing that song waiting on the rest of them to show up at blue jay way.

the most simple of shit ended up standing the test of time.

tidileboss
12-12-2007, 07:04 AM
you can express everything with beatles' song.

You are tired: I'm so tired
Your girl just left: Oh Darling
you are bewitched by your girl: don't let me down

etc....

Edgar Erebus
12-12-2007, 10:02 AM
Song that describes me every fucking morning is "I'm Only Sleeping".

LOL yeah the movies were great...Hard Day's Night is the best tho'...I know declare this bridge opened :lmao:

Hell yeah, I laughed my eyes off on that one. Or "Shake, take that wig off! It suits you!!"

Jeru
12-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Stop being taller than me Shake :lmao:

tidileboss
12-12-2007, 02:39 PM
i have not seen any of their movies yet, just the Let It Be film

INF
12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
dont bother to watch magical mystery tour if you aint peeped a Beatles flick.

tobacojones
12-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Anyone seen Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

Jeru
12-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Anyone seen Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?

LOL with the BeeGees? Ugh that movie was horrible

tobacojones
12-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Hahaha! I only saw the trailer and it ruled so hard.

MAYOR QUIMBY
12-25-2007, 01:47 AM
I say musically Magical Mystery Tour is a better album than Enter The 36 Chambers.

oDoUoSoKo
12-25-2007, 09:36 AM
haha, what kinda comparison is that?^^^

DR. NICK RIVIERA
12-25-2007, 10:04 AM
word....

the movies aren't anything special, but some are more funny than the last Scary Movie

tajeco
10-18-2008, 12:54 AM
[quote=Slim T;987691]Song that describes me every fucking morning is "I'm Only Sleeping"."quote]

"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy, I don't mind, I think they're crazy, running everywhere at such a speed, 'till they find, there's no need, there's no need"

One of my favorites. I think it's a reference to blazing up and just hanging out in your room.

tajeco
10-18-2008, 12:56 AM
Song that describes me every fucking morning is "I'm Only Sleeping"."

"Everybody seems to think I'm lazy, I don't mind, I think they're crazy, running everywhere at such a speed, 'till they find, there's no need, there's no need"

One of my favorites. I think it's a reference to blazing up and just hanging out in your room

Jeru
10-18-2008, 07:07 AM
I just bought The Anthology DVD box :hooray:... took me 4 days to finish it...great buy for true Beatles fans

INF
10-18-2008, 08:02 AM
yeah man the anthology is a must have on video and audio. I need that shit but I aint ever been ready to cough up the dough.

Jeru
10-18-2008, 09:04 AM
yeah man the anthology is a must have on video and audio. I need that shit but I aint ever been ready to cough up the dough.

Was walking around in the local record/dvd store and saw it standing there...I didn't even think, I just picked it up :)

INF
10-18-2008, 09:11 AM
whats ur favorite Beatles song Jeru? mines is "In my Life"

oDoUoSoKo
10-18-2008, 10:13 AM
mines is either Lovely Rita, or Back in The USSR..this answer might change soon...eloels, mad songs.

Jeru
10-18-2008, 11:01 AM
whats ur favorite Beatles song Jeru? mines is "In my Life"

Penny Lane is up there, In My Life 2, She's Leaving Home, Drive My Car, Lovely Rita ( I love the piano solo :D ),... There are alot of songs I like, can't name 'em all LOL

INF
10-18-2008, 11:33 AM
wow @ she's leaving home.

I rarely like that song and sometimes skip it but one day my daughter did something (I forget what it was) and I told my wife how its crazy how she was growing. I ended up youtubing "she's leaving home" though and playing it for my wife cuz when I seen my daughter do that new thing ( I think it was sitting up straight in her highchair or maybe crawling) I instantly heard she's leaving home.

That song has such a sad feeling to it.

I like their old Tyme sounding tracks like "when I'm sixty-four" and "Maxwell's silver hammer" but they arent favorites of mine.

Another favorite of mine is "Because". I remember when I first heard that and I was gettin all hype cuzza the way the french is in there.

I still dont know whats being said in french on that track but it sounds smooth.

oDoUoSoKo
10-18-2008, 12:42 PM
i love shes leaving home

Jeru
10-18-2008, 07:20 PM
wow @ she's leaving home.

I rarely like that song and sometimes skip it but one day my daughter did something (I forget what it was) and I told my wife how its crazy how she was growing. I ended up youtubing "she's leaving home" though and playing it for my wife cuz when I seen my daughter do that new thing ( I think it was sitting up straight in her highchair or maybe crawling) I instantly heard she's leaving home.

That song has such a sad feeling to it.

I like their old Tyme sounding tracks like "when I'm sixty-four" and "Maxwell's silver hammer" but they arent favorites of mine.

Another favorite of mine is "Because". I remember when I first heard that and I was gettin all hype cuzza the way the french is in there.

I still dont know whats being said in french on that track but it sounds smooth.

She's Leaving Home to me is a very heartfelt song, the storytelling is great and the accompanying music is 2...I've always heard some people say it's not good but I can't understand why...

When I'm Sixty-Four is a great song :D... and if you love that one, you must love You're Mother Should Know :)... both kind of in the same category musically and lyrically...Hello Goodbye, Tomorrow Never Knows, Hapiness Is A Warm Gun ( crazy song 8O )... All great songs. My girlfriend really made an effort and tried to get into the same music as me...she asked me to give her 3 albums to listen to to "convert" her... I gave her At Filmore East ( The Allman Brothers Band ), The Last Waltz ( The Band ) and Rubber Soul... she was convinced in no time at all :D...

TSA
10-18-2008, 11:30 PM
E0b3BbH4dEw
This song is the fucking shit and a half
when i first heard it was thought it was a bit much, then it grew on me. WOW. just listen to da liricz. Second favorite song by them

BJqNxKdgyqM
the number one joint in my book. ^right there. the sickest thing mankind has ever done with a guitar. I like the abstractness of the lyrics in later beatles songs but at times it's excessive cause i like to eventually be able to figure it out. Glass Onion is another favorite for this reason.

Koolish
10-19-2008, 12:11 AM
toooeee jam football.

and that inner light song is basically just words from the Tao-Te Ching. still sick though.

INF
10-19-2008, 11:56 AM
E0b3BbH4dEw
This song is the fucking shit and a half
when i first heard it was thought it was a bit much, then it grew on me. WOW. just listen to da liricz. Second favorite song by them

BJqNxKdgyqM
the number one joint in my book. ^right there. the sickest thing mankind has ever done with a guitar. I like the abstractness of the lyrics in later beatles songs but at times it's excessive cause i like to eventually be able to figure it out. Glass Onion is another favorite for this reason.

i HAD TO FIX THE TAGS and put em in all caps. You had "youtube" in lowercase and it wasnt showing these vids

EDIT OF AN EDIT - I still cant see these vids TSA what was they?

TSA
10-19-2008, 12:33 PM
im watching them right now, and i've been on 2 computers, and they work

one is Inner Light the other is Come Together which is my favorite.

INF
10-19-2008, 01:40 PM
my bad they just now came up for me. I know what happened.

IRAN
10-22-2008, 03:15 PM
From Magical Mystery Tour - Blue Jay Way. Check it out please

oDoUoSoKo
10-22-2008, 09:15 PM
You know Glass Onion was made as a joke to people who claim taht the Beatles have like cryptic lyrics...eloels, so it might literally just mean nothing.

INF
10-22-2008, 09:20 PM
From Magical Mystery Tour - Blue Jay Way. Check it out please

one of my favorites off of that album.

tajeco
10-22-2008, 10:24 PM
You know Glass Onion was made as a joke to people who claim taht the Beatles have like cryptic lyrics...eloels, so it might literally just mean nothing.

Glass Onion is a John song, where he says "I told you about the Fool On the Hill", and "Fixing A Hole in the ocean" Those are both Paul songs, then John says "here's another clue for you all, the walrus was Paul". But the walrus was actually John. So people who say that the walrus was Paul, don't pay enough attention to the song

Memory Man
10-23-2008, 11:51 AM
i like this tomorrow never knows/within you without you joint

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1u489DqbMQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y1u489DqbMQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Racailla
10-23-2008, 09:31 PM
the Beatles were pure geniuses. imo the band with the most hits (strawberry fields, penny lane, ... you name it! and I don't mean hits in the sense of "best selling" but in sense of good music) and most influence on music.

Ginnsey
10-24-2008, 10:19 AM
As good as the Beatles were they are probably one of the most overatted bands going....... And im not dissing them, I think they're great, I own most thier cds and I respect the impact that they had on the music industry....... but then again did they really have any competiton? At the time not really.

And this is coming from someone whos got close relations with the Cavern club

Memory Man
10-26-2008, 07:40 PM
As good as the Beatles were they are probably one of the most overatted bands going....... And im not dissing them, I think they're great, I own most thier cds and I respect the impact that they had on the music industry....... but then again did they really have any competiton? At the time not really.

And this is coming from someone whos got close relations with the Cavern club

the fact that they blew away the competition proves that they weren't overrated.

Ginnsey
10-28-2008, 04:04 AM
the fact that they blew away the competition proves that they weren't overrated.

What competition!?!? thats my point. No where near as many artists or even different types of music as there are nowadays to compete with

Memory Man
10-28-2008, 08:40 AM
What competition!?!? thats my point. No where near as many artists or even different types of music as there are nowadays to compete with

i would argue that popular music was actually more diverse in the '60s than it is now... and the beatles destroy 95% of what comes out now.

Jeru
10-28-2008, 09:04 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Rlv_czpFU

Great song :D

Ginnsey
10-28-2008, 12:40 PM
i would argue that popular music was actually more diverse in the '60s than it is now... and the beatles destroy 95% of what comes out now.

I guess that depends. If you are comparing it to what u see on MTV or whateva music channel then yea, sure i agree. but if u dig deeper and dont decide to buy ure music based on whats at the top of the charts at the time then i disagree.

herzog
11-08-2008, 06:49 PM

one of the reasons the beatles achieved their greatness was because of the intense competition in 60's music. music was changing and everybody was trying to top each other - the beach boys tried to top the beatles, in turn making the beatles try to top the beach boys, while the rolling stones tried to top the beatles and the beatles tried to top bob dylan... personally, i think music in the 60's was much more consistently good than music in the 2000's because the competition was so strong.

there's definitely more music being produced today, but i don't think the competition is as great. if you look at the music in the 60's, the competition was intense because there were so many groundbreaking and brilliant artists active:

the beatles
bob dylan
the rolling stones
the velvet underground
sly and the family stone
frank zappa and the mothers of invention
james brown
the who
the beach boys
captain beefheart and his magic band
os mutantes
jimi hendrix
the doors
cream
miles davis
the supremes
marvin gaye
creedence clearwater revival
the animals

and the list goes on. i'm not saying there's no good music being made today, because there's a lot, i just think the competition was stronger back then, especially in popular music. most of the music i listed above holds up to the best music of today. i can't think of any album from the 2000's that i'd consider as good as the white album.

Jeru
11-08-2008, 07:03 PM
one of the reasons the beatles achieved their greatness was because of the intense competition in 60's music. music was changing and everybody was trying to top each other - the beach boys tried to top the beatles, in turn making the beatles try to top the beach boys, while the rolling stones tried to top the beatles and the beatles tried to top bob dylan... personally, i think music in the 60's was much more consistently good than music in the 2000's because the competition was so strong.

there's definitely more music being produced today, but i don't think the competition is as great. if you look at the music in the 60's, the competition was intense because there were so many groundbreaking and brilliant artists active:

the beatles
bob dylan
the rolling stones
the velvet underground
sly and the family stone
frank zappa and the mothers of invention
james brown
the who
the beach boys
captain beefheart and his magic band
os mutantes
jimi hendrix
the doors
cream
miles davis
the supremes
marvin gaye
creedence clearwater revival
the animals

and the list goes on. i'm not saying there's no good music being made today, because there's a lot, i just think the competition was stronger back then, especially in popular music. most of the music i listed above holds up to the best music of today. i can't think of any album from the 2000's that i'd consider as good as the white album.

I pretty much agree with everything you said BUT...and this is prolly nitpicking I wouldn't put Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, James Brown in there because they made completly different music. They didn't try to beat The Beatles, they were trying to come into their own right with their music...

It's like saying Led Zeppelin were trying to top the albums The Band put out... 2 totally different styles...

And yeah the list you gave + alot more artists does hold up as the best music today for me 2.

herzog
11-08-2008, 07:11 PM
I pretty much agree with everything you said BUT...and this is prolly nitpicking I wouldn't put Miles Davis, Marvin Gaye, The Supremes, James Brown in there because they made completly different music. They didn't try to beat The Beatles, they were trying to come into their own right with their music...

It's like saying Led Zeppelin were trying to top the albums The Band put out... 2 totally different styles...

And yeah the list you gave + alot more artists does hold up as the best music today for me 2.

i agree that those artists weren't trying to beat the beatles, and i did leave out a shitload of soul and jazz musicians for the reasons you mentioned. but, i think including those artists gives a good idea of the musical landscape of the time - not only did you have a lot of great pop and rock groups, but you had groundbreaking jazz, R&B and all sorts of other stuff influencing the musical realm.

this music was most definitely influencing the beatles. the beatles were listening to every kind of music that was coming out, using it in their own music, trying to top everybody. i wouldn't doubt if those artists, james brown in particular, were influenced by the beatles in some ways too.

Jeru
11-08-2008, 07:14 PM
i agree that those artists weren't trying to beat the beatles, and i did leave out a shitload of soul and jazz musicians for the reasons you mentioned. but, i think including those artists gives a good idea of the musical landscape of the time - not only did you have a lot of great pop and rock groups, but you had groundbreaking jazz and all sorts of other stuff influencing the musical realm.

that music was most definitely influencing the beatles. the beatles were listening to every kind of music that was coming out, using it in their own music, trying to top everybody. i wouldn't doubt if james brown in particular was influenced by the beatles too.

Did you see The Anthology series? It gives a great insight into The Beatles :yes:...should check it out...it's gold :D...and they were influenced by Dylan :)...in his folk days

herzog
11-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Did you see The Anthology series? It gives a great insight into The Beatles :yes:...should check it out...it's gold :D...and they were influenced by Dylan :)...in his folk days

i've seen some of it, and it is great. i need to see more. and yeah, bob dylan was a huge influence on the beatles. he totally inspired them to be more experimental and serious, and he introduced them to weed. bob dylan is one of the few artists that i think is almost up there with the beatles in terms of greatness.

Jeru
11-08-2008, 07:19 PM
i've seen some of it, and it is great. i need to see more. and yeah, bob dylan was a huge influence on the beatles. he totally inspired them to be more experimental and serious, and he introduced them to weed. bob dylan is one of the few artists that i think is almost up there with the beatles in terms of greatness.

I totally agree

oDoUoSoKo
11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Fuck The Beatles, its all about Wings...

BAAANNNND ON THE RUUNNNN

oDoUoSoKo
11-08-2008, 07:41 PM
Fuck The Beatles, its all about Wings...

BAAANNNND ON THE

Jeru
11-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Run

TSA
11-08-2008, 11:57 PM
X7eFQMakhDE&NR

TSA
11-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Harrison is quickly taking the title of my favorite, though Lennon still have a heavy a trill lead

Longbongcilvaringz
11-09-2008, 12:37 AM
a7hdXZTm4Qk

tajeco
11-09-2008, 12:44 AM
"Band on the run from the man with a gun, who stands on the sun with his hand on a cunt". was that Paul? maybe it was me
I like a few Wings tracks. 'Magneto and Titanium Man'. Ringo has a good new song called 'Liverpool 8'.
I think GH's "Brainwashed" is one of the best post-Beatle cds. Overall though I like John's post-Beatle stuff the best.

tajeco
11-09-2008, 12:45 AM
Alphabetically:
1-George 1-Harrison
2-John 2-Lennon
3-Paul 3-McCartney
4-Ringo 4-Starr

tajeco
11-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Spanish:
Jorge Harrison
Juan Lennon
Pablo McCartney
Ricardo Starr (Richard Starkey)

oDoUoSoKo
11-09-2008, 09:48 AM
thx jeru eloels

Jeru
11-09-2008, 11:07 AM
LOL @ Dusk

Lennon was great in The Beatles but his solo carreer never really did anything for me. Same goes for McCartney. Harisson is number one IMO...All Things Must Pass remains the best Beatles solo album ever and Starr is just a funny guy :D

oDoUoSoKo
11-09-2008, 11:47 AM
nah^^ Band on The Run is....i wasnt serious about Wings being better than the Beatles obviously, but BOTR is tied i think with Plastic ono band.

Jeru
11-09-2008, 12:23 PM
I never really listened to Wings that much but I know Band On The Run ( the song ). And Plastic Ono Band really is below Lennon standard IMO

Edgar Erebus
11-09-2008, 02:12 PM
This should be declared the official video for this song.

BvZ2l9UpxhU

'Cause I know Lennon woulda approved.

By the way, it's among my top 10 Beatles songs even without the video, 'cause I got a thing for drum-n-horn stuff... Also the reason why I stubbornly overrate Pete Rock.

Jeru
11-09-2008, 03:12 PM
LMAO that is a great vid for a great song indeed

Memory Man
11-09-2008, 04:51 PM
I never really listened to Wings that much but I know Band On The Run ( the song ). And Plastic Ono Band really is below Lennon standard IMO

i think plastic ono band IS the lennon standard. definitely my favorite beatle solo album.

Jeru
11-09-2008, 05:48 PM
i think plastic ono band IS the lennon standard. definitely my favorite beatle solo album.

I'm talking about the band itself

oDoUoSoKo
11-09-2008, 06:29 PM
yea but i (when bringin up POB) was referin to the Album...which is not below his standard.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
11-09-2008, 08:07 PM
They had to give up playing live cause of all the screaming girls, nobody could hear the music. Thats when they went to the studio and became creative.
The White album is genius.

THE WHITE ALBUM IS AN AMAZING PIECE OF MUSIC IN THE WAY WU-TANG FOREVER IS AMAZING PIECE OF HIP HOP

Jeru
11-10-2008, 05:32 AM
yea but i (when bringin up POB) was referin to the Album...which is not below his standard.

:thumbup:

tajeco
11-11-2008, 12:54 AM
John Lennon lyrics (post-Beatles)

Working Class Hero - 1970
"...they hurt you at home and they hit you at school
they hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
till you're so fuckin crazy you can't follow their rules...
...they tortured and scared you for 20 odd years
then they expect you to pick a career
you can't really function you're so full of fear...
...there's room at the top they are telling you still
but first you must learn how to smile when you kill
if you want to be like the folks on the hill"

God - 1970
"...I don't believe in Kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman (Bob Dylan), I don't believe in Beatles. I just believe in me, Yoko and me, and that's reality. The dream is over, what can I say, the dream is over, yesterday. I was the dreamweaver, but now I'm reborn, I was the Walrus, but now I'm John, and so dear friends, you just have to carry on, the dream is over."

Old Dirt Road - 1974
"trying to shovel smoke with a pitchfork in the wind"

Nobody Told Me - 1980
"everybody's smokin but no one's gettin high
everybody's flyin and never see the sky
there's UFO's over New York
and I ain't too surprised"

Beautiful Boy - 1980
"life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Luck Of the Irish - 1971
"If you had the luck of the Irish, you'd be sorry and wish you were dead, you should have the luck of the Irish, and you'd wish you was English instead...why the hell are the English there anyway, as they kill with god on their side, they blame it all on the kids and the I.R.A. (Irish Republican Army) , as the bastards commit genocide"

Watching the Wheels-1980
"People asking questions, lost in confusion, I tell them there's no problems, only solutions. They shake their heads and look at me, as if I've lost my mind, I tell them there's no hurry, I'm just sitting here doing time"

Edgar Erebus
11-11-2008, 10:54 AM
Beautiful Boy - 1980
"life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"

Wisdom.

oDoUoSoKo
11-11-2008, 09:34 PM
yea that album is quotes galore, i love WCH and God, best tracks.

TSA
11-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Nothing will ever substitute the full gangsta of unleashing Billy Sheers on the young

poUoCggQZd0
sure its been posted im assuming, but Ringo is an early example of thuggery in music.

Edgar Erebus
11-16-2008, 07:47 PM
xCJhe9E1Wlo

Do you know what this video is?

It is first diss track in music history.

TSA
11-16-2008, 07:51 PM
AHAHAHAHhahah never heard this, Lennon comes of as a dick, but he was killin dat nigga paul. real muhtha phukkin G'z. Did paul clap back?

Art Vandelay
11-16-2008, 07:53 PM
^^

http://www.adaptivepath.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/imagesvirgin-logo.jpg

INF
11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
There is a Backwards message in How do you sleep where he says something like "hey lindy , he's a mean one"

Backwards messages seem to be uncontrollable. I'm researching them.

Edgar Erebus
11-16-2008, 08:00 PM
AHAHAHAHhahah never heard this, Lennon comes of as a dick, but he was killin dat nigga paul. real muhtha phukkin G'z. Did paul clap back?

Nah, they reconciled. Paul did subliminally diss John before in his song "Too Many People", so "How Do You Sleep" song was, like, John's rebuttal, and it was first song that was wholly dedicated just to insulting another musician.

Apparently Ringo was in studio when John was recording this and got mad too.

TSA
11-16-2008, 08:07 PM
Billy Sheers would have broke his throat

lol at it though

Edgar Erebus
11-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Lennon invented Billy Shears.

TSA
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
with the DNA strands of thugs and goons

TSA
11-16-2008, 08:19 PM
fL6rhR1KLTE

Art Vandelay
11-16-2008, 09:33 PM
^^

http://blog.wired.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/09/25/virgin_logo.jpg

tajeco
11-17-2008, 12:25 AM
"The wrong 2 Beatles died first" George Carlin

tajeco
11-17-2008, 12:32 AM
I just posted this in the anti-Yoko thread too.

In the early 90's, Yoko gave Paul some recordings of John's "Free As A Bird" from 1977. Then in 1994, the 3 remaining Beatles, plus producer George Martin got together and re-recorded it with everyone taking part, with John's vocals. That was the closest thing to a reunion.

INF
11-18-2008, 12:45 AM
http://music.yahoo.com/read/news/61746249

Young Gun
08-15-2013, 09:42 AM
Revolver-The White album is incredibly creative work. I'm not so much a fan of their work during their rise to fame like Please Please Me and such though.

infinite vagina
08-15-2013, 11:59 AM
probably my favorite band during high school :-)

magical mystery tour is my favorite beatles album

they had so many gems

here are some of my favorite songs

u-Mz714xemU

EDtK7xUIDxk

MNLcXj5yR68

xycaGZtusmo

pBJqPxpWD5w

vCiG7xoEb2Y

HhPvaHr83Vs

3hZ6BpyyQzk

HKxE_mOR3Jc