PDA

View Full Version : I Do Agree With Allen Iverson And Some Other NBA Players That...........

CharlesJones
01-09-2010, 04:14 PM
they should be able to wear what they wanna wear to the games before they start playing. I think David Stern is wrong for forcing NBA players to wear suits and ties to games before they change into their uniforms. Their dress appearance has nothing to do with how they perform on the court. If they wanna wear baggy jeans, sneakers, t-shirt, chains before the game, they should be allowed to do that.

Kenny Powers
01-09-2010, 04:21 PM
its just to protect the image of the league. They don't want their players to look like thugs with is where the league is heading especially with this guns in the locker room thing by Agent 0. I have no problem with it I mean it dates back to high school when on game days we would have to wear ties.

ALCATRAZ
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
it's professional sports so you can't blame stern but he's still a faggit at the end of the day ... next thing u know athletes ain't gonna be allowed to sport cornrows or naturals ... then they're gonna have to bleach their skin white and dye their hair blonde ... the possibilites are endless

angry!
01-09-2010, 04:50 PM
i hate stern for a variety of reasons this is one of them!!!!!

fact is the casual nba fan knows more about the game then stern does!!!!!!!

the way he handeled the tim donaghy situation tainted the nba for me!!!!! straight up!!!!!

it wasnt a rogue incident, and instead of being handeled head on it got swept under the rug!!!!!!!!!!! hes no better than bud selig!!!!!!!! they all need to be outed, including goodell with the nfl!!!!!!!

Guarded By Martyrs
01-09-2010, 04:51 PM
No.

check two
01-09-2010, 08:25 PM
Well I can see the cornrows thing not being allowed. Cause some people tuning in might be confused at first if it was an WNBA or NBA game they were watching.

Surreptitious
01-09-2010, 08:46 PM
Stern is their boss. Wrong or right he can make these decisions.

Most the rest of the world has to dress nice to go to work.

Stern is a shit lick though

Art Vandelay
01-09-2010, 10:10 PM
i agree that stern shouldn't force nba players to wear a suit and a tie before the game. they should be adult enough to realize that is proper attire. but since they are immature, he has to impose the rule.

Mic Tyson
01-09-2010, 10:13 PM
stern is a bitch. but they should have to at least wear somethin decent, cuz they are professionals

Dirty Knowledge
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Wtf

You're actually worried about what these dudes are wearing?

Seriously

Like oh shit

A.I. had to wear a suit to work

That's why he shot 3/21...

Cmon now...

Art Vandelay
01-10-2010, 12:11 PM
businesses have dress codes. the nba is a business. this is part of their dress code. when i go to work, i can't wear whatever the fuck i want.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-10-2010, 01:51 PM
They should wear a suit.

it has nothing to do with blacks and whites...it has to do with professionalism.

If you got a problem with a dress code, than you will probablly never have a job in your life.

CharlesJones
01-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Whatever NickyTooch. Playing in the NBA isn't like having a real job. So why should the players have to wear businesslike attire to the games before they play? They should wear what they wanna wear before the games. Like Alcatraz said, David Stern is a faggot LOL. LOL@stuff Alcatraz was saying that David might force the players to do next hahahahahaha.

check two
01-10-2010, 03:25 PM
They make millions of dollars and they are upset that they have to dress a little conservative before games? For that kind of money, they should be forced to wear whatever Stern wants them to, whether it be leisure suits or biker shorts.

Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Not only is it perfectly reasonable for a company to tell it's employees how to dress, but if you're entire salary is dependent upon public consumption, then it is in your own best interests to present yourself favorably to your audience.

I wish I could wear boxer drawers and a sleeveless shirt to the office, but don't think it is my right to do so.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-10-2010, 04:19 PM
Zeke, stop making dumb ass threads.

Art Vandelay
01-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Playing in the NBA isn't like having a real job.

it's exactly like having a real job. they get paid to perform a service. the better they do, the more they will get paid. they have bosses that they have to answer to.

and it has nothing to do with how much they get paid. just because they get paid millions of dollars doesn't mean they should have to or not have to wear a suit.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Whatever NickyTooch. Playing in the NBA isn't like having a real job. So why should the players have to wear businesslike attire to the games before they play? They should wear what they wanna wear before the games. Like Alcatraz said, David Stern is a faggot LOL. LOL@stuff Alcatraz was saying that David might force the players to do next hahahahahaha.

Charles you wre a janitor right? Im sure you have to wear dickies or whatever and had a dress code.

You work at McDonalds you have a dress code.

Pretty much every job in American has one.

NBA players have a dress code when they step on to the court

They are free to give up their salary, quit the NBA and wear whatever they want, anytime.

You're an idiot for even thinking about this and making a thread like this and its perfectly fitting that alcatraz agreed with you.

Surreptitious
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
its perfectly fitting that alcatraz agreed with you.

Clan Destine
01-10-2010, 05:12 PM
And why the fuck are there such strict dress codes at work places? Because the company wants to look dependable and professional, and people who want to get ahead want to look like they care. Do these motivations really translate to the NBA? The players jobs are to a play a game. If you infer from the way they dress that they're not professional enough to a play a game you are retarded. If you are a good player management won't give a shit what you wear (within reason). The players work clothes are his uniform. Players who aren't playing don't do anything and are basically fans. They should comply with the dress code of the attending public.

Also, its culturally monopolistic to assume there is only one style of dress that is respectable. Wearing a tie doesn't change your attitude about anything, all the NBA is doing is catering to people who think it does.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-10-2010, 05:17 PM
Rappers have dress codes too

if you dont adhere to the hip hop look, you will be ridiculed and your credibility destroyed.

Players who dont play are still part of the team. When you are in the building, you are at work, hence you will dress accordingly.

Grow up kids. Grow up.

Clan Destine
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Well yeah, that's precisely the point. It wasn't like players were dressing up bummy, they were dressing like NBA players with their own code and their own style. Clearly nobody was being ridiculed because they weren't wearing suits, they would be ridiculed if they weren't dressing fresh. If they were being ridiculed it was from a more traditional external perspective, but who cares if country singers make fun of the way rappers dress?

Stern imposing a dress code is like making rappers dress like country singers.

Also, Stern doesn't fucking pay their salaries. The owners do. I think it should have been up to the individual franchises to decide. It is more interesting and insightful to the nature of discipline vs freedom, to let different teams have different cultures and see which one wins, if dress code matters at all. (which it probably doesn't).

Stop demanding reproduction.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
What are you talking about?

The reason they made them have a dress code is because they WERE dressing bummy. They looked like they just rolled out of bed threw on a tshirt and jeans and went up to the arena.

Its not that deep dude.....get over it.

It looks more professional. They are not telling them they all have to wear black suits. They have a variety of choice within what they can wear within formal limits.

check two
01-10-2010, 05:52 PM
On a side note,
I liked the NBA days better when a headband was a unique thing to see. Clifford Robinson.

Art Vandelay
01-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Also, Stern doesn't fucking pay their salaries. The owners do. I think it should have been up to the individual franchises to decide.

the individual owners decided to hire stern as commissioner to make and enforce the rules.

by the way, how come none of you fags are bringing up the new york yankees and their strict personal appearance policies. johnny damon, randy johnson, jason giambi and roger clemens all had to cut their hair or shave their beards before joining the yankees. also, don mattingly was benched when he grew his hair too long and they didn't play him until he cut it.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-10-2010, 06:00 PM
i think we all kno why they dont say anything about that...

check two
01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
I have brought that up in the baseball thread that it's stupid you can't have a little facial hair on the Yankees. I'm not talking a long beard, but come on now.

Art Vandelay
01-10-2010, 06:17 PM
you can have facial hair. you are allowed to have a moustache

check two
01-10-2010, 06:19 PM
lol sounds like the Weis grocery store I used to work at years back. One guy had a big bushy mustache covering up his mouth, but I would get told to shave for having a little stubble on my chin.

Clan Destine
01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
What are you talking about?

The reason they made them have a dress code is because they WERE dressing bummy. They looked like they just rolled out of bed threw on a tshirt and jeans and went up to the arena.
It looks more professional. They are not telling them they all have to wear black suits. They have a variety of choice within what they can wear within formal limits.

Its not that deep dude.....get over it.

Your whole point about rappers was about a different, distinct, respectable code and being ridiculed by their peers. They weren't being ridiculed by each other for the way they dressed. "Looking professional" didn't prevent Arenas' gun show.

I don't really care now how they dress now that they changed it. I'm not the one vouching for a new imposition, or can't get over the fact NBA players could wear what they wanted, but its silly to believe in first place that it mattered what they wore, that it'll change anything, or that they HAVE to dress a certain was based on some analogies to the 'real world' and 'growing up'.

the individual owners decided to hire stern as commissioner to make and enforce the rules.

by the way, how come none of you fags are bringing up the new york yankees and their strict personal appearance policies. johnny damon, randy johnson, jason giambi and roger clemens all had to cut their hair or shave their beards before joining the yankees. also, don mattingly was benched when he grew his hair too long and they didn't play him until he cut it.

Yes I understand that Stern was a consensus pick of the owners but this where the analogies to a typical job are poor. Its not like the guy who pays you in your job has to listen the ideas of a league commissioner type who doesn't pay you salary directly and is paid by the owners just like you.

So what about the Yankees? Why does one situation have mimic another exactly just because they're similar? Everybody hates the Yankees and I hate most of those baseball players. They deserve each other. The Yankees rules are specific to their franchise and Steinbrenner's legacy. It's a cunty thing to do but the Yankees win, mostly because they can afford the best. It's an interesting and distinct part of the baseball culture. The Evil Empire that everybody loves to hate.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-10-2010, 06:29 PM
that's too much like fascism, if u ask me. it's too strict. i don't agree they should wear a suit before they come to the game, maybe just normal clothes...but where is the line between 'normal' clothing and hiphop clothing, for an example?

Art Vandelay
01-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Yes I understand that Stern was a consensus pick of the owners but this where the analogies to a typical job are poor. Its not like the guy who pays you in your job has to listen the ideas of a league commissioner type who doesn't pay you salary directly and is paid by the owners just like you.

if you work for a corporation, the owners (shareholders) choose the CEO and board of directors who make the rules for the company. if i own 1 share of stock in walmart, i can't go in telling everyone that they don't have to wear their blue vests anymore. it's up to the people in charge to make the rules.

when i played basketball in junior high, i had to dress up for away games. we didn't have to wear a suit and tie, but i think we had to wear khaki pants and a collared shirt. in high school when i played ice hockey, same thing, we had to dress up a little.

01-10-2010, 07:38 PM
Good rule, but Stern's a prick.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-10-2010, 08:14 PM
that's too much like fascism, if u ask me. it's too strict. i don't agree they should wear a suit before they come to the game, maybe just normal clothes...but where is the line between 'normal' clothing and hiphop clothing, for an example?

LOL..fascism??? these dudes are multi fucking millionaires. Pleases stop with the overreactions.

The line is simple. No denim, u must have a collar on ur shirt, its got to be button up, etc. I'm sure they have a guidline for it.

LOL@ people trying to act like there is not a difference or 'where is the line' between casual attire and formal attire.

01-11-2010, 06:37 AM
LOL..fascism??? these dudes are multi fucking millionaires. Pleases stop with the overreactions.

The line is simple. No denim, u must have a collar on ur shirt, its got to be button up, etc. I'm sure they have a guidline for it.

LOL@ people trying to act like there is not a difference or 'where is the line' between casual attire and formal attire.
Word.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM
ionno, it's just...I understand the problem, but it's still weird

Compulsion
01-12-2010, 10:28 AM
Fuck Sterns lying ass and fuck the NBA.

I can't help it, I'm from Seattle.
http://seattlest.com/896_300.jpg

Olive Oil Goombah
01-12-2010, 10:55 AM
yea i miss the supersonics...Great name and logo

Compulsion
01-12-2010, 10:58 AM
yea i miss the supersonics...Great name and logo

I miss them too. A lot of good memories going to Supersonics games. Now that it is 2010, Seattle's idiotic government has let the money that they bargined for by letting them go to OKC, pass by them.

CharlesJones
01-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I heard that Seattle might be getting a team again. I hope it happens sometime soon. I don't think they should've left Seattle. Gary Payton is trying to get a team back to Seattle. I hear what ya'll are saying about the NBA's dress code being enforced by David Stern but i don't like it. Forcing these guys to wear businesslike clothes to the games before they play isn't gonna make these guys change who they are and i think David is trying to make them change their personalities and that's not gonna happen.

check two
01-12-2010, 01:56 PM
I think they should make certain teams wear the short shorts again during games.

Art Vandelay
01-12-2010, 02:39 PM

i bet you would. so which guys do you want to see wearing short shorts?

THE W
01-12-2010, 02:40 PM
its a stupid and pointless rule that doesnt address the real problem at all. the NBA's problem is the actions of their players, not their attire. the players are not part of corperate america. the owners and GMs are but not the players. they go into a smelly locker room and then go out on the court and play a game. they're not in an office setting or having board meetings with corporate executives.

but hey, when you're the boss you can make all the rules you want, no matter how pointless and stupid. fair enough, just dont try and tell me its good for the league.

Art Vandelay
01-12-2010, 02:51 PM
ok, MLB... the manager has to wear a uniform or he is not allowed on the field (how does this affect the game?)

NBA... Coaches and assistant coaches must wear a sport coat or suit coat. (how does this affect the game?)

NFL... Players are issued a two-piece sock. One part is white, and the other part is the team color like blue for the Rams. If a player has only the white or only the blue showing, that's a violation.

The white sock, worn over the full-length stockings in team colors, must extend to the midpoint of the lower leg. Stockings must meet the pants below the knee.

how do socks affect the game???

Art Vandelay
01-12-2010, 02:52 PM

should i have been using affect or effect? i always mix those up

THE W
01-12-2010, 03:06 PM
ok, MLB... the manager has to wear a uniform or he is not allowed on the field (how does this affect the game?)

NBA... Coaches and assistant coaches must wear a sport coat or suit coat. (how does this affect the game?)

NFL... Players are issued a two-piece sock. One part is white, and the other part is the team color like blue for the Rams. If a player has only the white or only the blue showing, that's a violation.

The white sock, worn over the full-length stockings in team colors, must extend to the midpoint of the lower leg. Stockings must meet the pants below the knee.

how do socks affect the game???

when you're the boss you can make all the rules you want, no matter how pointless and stupid.

i didnt say anything about what does and doesnt affect the game. my point is that the NBA dress-code is toothless and pointless response to its problems.

i also said nothing about the uniforms players have to wear while their on the court. this is about the ridiculousness of making players dress formally to the locker room. whats the point?

Olive Oil Goombah
01-12-2010, 03:09 PM
the fact that they have to wear uniforms at all is proof that.....THEY ARE IN FUCKING UNIFORM!!!

They could make them dress in unifrom while they sit on the bench. It just looks sloppy. Players started lookin bummy and people started to notice it.

Bottom line.

You dont like it tough...But me personally, I'd rather have nice slacks on a sport coat, or a nice shirt than sit there in fucking jeans and a t shirt.

This isnt high school anymore kids. Lets grow up.

Art Vandelay
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.dsign.it/en/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/champion_vamos.jpg

THE W
01-12-2010, 03:28 PM
im not gonna argue that they should change the rule. thats as pointless as arguing for a playoff system in NCAA football.

my point is that this rule does nothing but create another job expense for the players in buying a formal outfit. if the players didnt act like idiots, no one would care how they dressed.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-12-2010, 04:07 PM
hahahaha.... a job expense???!!!

got they just keep getting worse and worse.

Dont worry about the NBA players, they can just use there per diem money for road games to buy some new gear.

Cuz you kno its a tough economy for these ballers today.

THE W
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
^^you missed the point entirely.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-12-2010, 05:06 PM
the point your trying to make isnt the point tho

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-12-2010, 05:38 PM
Bottom line is NBA has multiple sponsors putting multi million dollars into the game who dont want their brand associated with bummy looking players arriving and leaving the stadium.

Bottom line.

I also think players should be happy to dress smart for a game. Theyre getting paid a shit ton of money and you should have respect for your team, fans and city by presenting yourself well.

Its like when I used to play for high school school, whenever we go away from home the first thing the coach and even our own form teachers would tell us is make sure your 'dressed respectable because your representing the school.

It was the same playing for my local team, we were all issues our own ties and shirts to wear for away games.

The point is, NBA stars are ego driven and now they are rich they dont think they have to obide by the same rules they did growing up.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-12-2010, 05:42 PM
and NBA stars should be grateful that something like the NBA exists so they can make all this money from playing basketball.

if i was living the life they are living I do whatever the hell the NBA tell me to, srsly.

fuck them. the fucks wrong with a smart suit anyway?

THE W
01-12-2010, 06:40 PM
whats wrong with not dressing up and conducting yourself well? the only reason there is a dress code is because of ron artest going into the stands and picking fights with fans.

you can represent your city just fine by not getting into trouble, doing charitable work, and contributing to the success of your team. you do that, your team, fans, and city will respect you and you can wear whatever you want.

gilbert arenas' "smart suit" will get him no points with the commissioner after bringing guns to the workplace. maybe he forgot to put it on when he decided to do that.

Art Vandelay
01-12-2010, 06:57 PM
whats wrong with not dressing up and conducting yourself well? the only reason there is a dress code is because of ron artest going into the stands and picking fights with fans.

i think i am the only person who took artest's side on this one. i think what he did was fine with the exception of punching the wrong person. if somebody throws their beer on you, you should be allowed to punch them.

Prolifical ENG
01-12-2010, 08:08 PM
I think especially in this day in age and after what happened to Tiger Woods, athletes should be striving more to protect their private life. Wearing what they want while in the arena is basically an expression of their private life. This goes back to the sponger concept Lacey brought up.

BRONZBODY
01-12-2010, 09:16 PM
i think i am the only person who took artest's side on this one. i think what he did was fine with the exception of punching the wrong person. if somebody throws their beer on you, you should be allowed to punch them.trust me art, u not the only one that agrees wit what ron did.

i also dont see the point in the attire they wear, its the players actions that are fucking everything up for them, not what they are wearing.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-13-2010, 02:56 AM
it just looks better to people watching the game.

People dont want to look on the bench and see dudes dressed like thugs with 47 tattoos on their necks and arms looking like assholes.

Its a bad image for the NBA.

Its not Ron Artests fault, its Iverson's fault.

Most of them didnt even care its only the fucking whiners that did.

Rode Block
01-13-2010, 09:53 AM
it just looks better to people watching the game.

People dont want to look on the bench and see dudes dressed like thugs with 47 tattoos on their necks and arms looking like assholes.

Its a bad image for the NBA.

Its not Ron Artests fault, its Iverson's fault.

Most of them didnt even care its only the fucking whiners that did.

I remember a few years back before the dress code AI was injured so he showed up to the game in street clothes and was sitting on the bench. When the camera pointed to him all you can see was AI chilling at the end of the bench wearing a Bucks jersey....while playing for the Sixers. It was pretty ironic.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-13-2010, 11:35 AM
Thats what I'm saying. These guys have no idea. They are like children. Spoiled little children.

CharlesJones
01-13-2010, 11:36 AM
I agree with Wadedigital36 and Bronzbody. David Stern is gay.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-13-2010, 11:39 AM
Why is he gay?

What did David Stern ever do?

Make Iverson were slacks instead of Jeans 5 sized to big with a gold chain??? Lookin like he just came in off the street corner?

charles, ye of the 'i can't stand ignorant black men' should be happy about this.

CharlesJones
01-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Well i'm not happy about it and i don't like ignorant black men but i don't see a problem with the clothes that NBA athletes wear before and after the games. If they wanna wear baggy jeans, big t-shirts and sneakers, let them. Forcing them to wear business clothes isn't gonna make them change their personalities and that's what David is trying to do and it's not gonna work. They're gonna continue to be thugs off the court. So does David think by forcing them to wear business clothes that they're gonna change who they are? I don't think so.

Prolifical ENG
01-13-2010, 12:03 PM
So does David think by forcing them to wear business clothes that they're gonna change who they are? I don't think so.

I dont think he is trying to "change" them. I think its more to do with sponsorship. Dressing however they can wear a NY baseball cap...some of them do in their own life but when they are on TV which sponsors pay for, no basketball player should be supporting any other sports franchise, no matter what the sport when they are with their team.

What athletes wear is a big deal especially if its clear what brand they are wearing. Its not ok unless someone is getting paid.

With classic clothing like suits and dress shirts its a little harder to identify brands...some formal clothes are into sponsoring sports.

Art Vandelay
01-13-2010, 12:52 PM

to further pro's arguement, the NFL states that players can only wear league approved apparel (Reebok) from the time they step on the field for warm-ups until an hour and a half after the game so if they are being interviewed on tv, only nfl sponsored apparel will be seen.

the nfl even has an inspector at the post-game interviews to make sure this happens.

Prolifical ENG
01-13-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes, apparel is serious....sometimes as serious as the actual game.

Art Vandelay
01-13-2010, 01:12 PM
if i'm not mistaken, you can get a penalty in the nhl for using equipment made by a non-nhl sponser if you don't have the logo covered up.

check two
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Urlacher.

Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster
01-13-2010, 05:37 PM
David Stern is probably the best commissioner EVER in the history of sports.

Art Vandelay
01-13-2010, 06:11 PM
i'd say pete rozelle.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-13-2010, 06:47 PM
this whole topic was started because of the liberal mindset that some people have.

THE W
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
you're all way off.

but im tired of debating this topic because this policy is like 5 or more years old and the players have gotten used to it by now.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-13-2010, 08:52 PM
exactly...and after a week of bitching from the spoiled players, nobody has said shit.

CharlesJones
01-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Of course the players aren't gonna say anything now because if they don't wear business attire clothes, they're gonna find themselves outta the NBA and having to look for a job which they aren't gonna get because of their dumb ass tattoos and braids hahahahahahahahahahahaha.

check two
01-14-2010, 01:28 PM
Cornrows should be banned from the NBA.

Afficial_Nastee
01-27-2010, 01:22 PM
That's some bullshit! Suit and Tie?! LOL These are sportmen dammit , that ain't no profession to be wearing suit and ties!

oLd_KaiNry
01-28-2010, 10:06 PM
wearing a suit is a form of respect, it's classy and it looks mature and civilised. Wearing baggy clothes makes you look like an uneducated fool, especially when you add the big jews... anyways its '010 nobody wears baggy shit, if there wasnt any dress code they would still come to the game well dressed in armani, gucci or some other expensive shit.

oLd_KaiNry
01-28-2010, 10:08 PM
Cornrows should be banned from the NBA.

nah that would be stupid cause then where to you draw the line where the haircut is fine? would birdman be able to wear hair gel?

IrOnMaN
02-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I totally agree with everyone said. The NBA is a business. People shouldn't come to work with their pants hanging off their ass.