PDA

View Full Version : Peak Oil Crisis

TheBoarzHeadBoy
01-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Since we're apparently post peak and the oil is going to be for all intents and purposes hyper inflated and scarce in our life time (like 20-30 years...) what are your plans for survival?

The average american family uses over a thousand gallons of fuel on automobiles and over 900 simply from their food purchases (the average distance from farm to your table is 1500 miles not to mention the tractors and machines.)

Without oil life in the cities will be virtually impossible due to the huge populations.

And don't say we'll be jolly and green by then, because we won't. The oil corporations will run us into the ground and our governments will fail to protect us. There will be a societal collapse, the question is only how severe, how gradual, and how many will die.

The famine that will follow will turn the whole world to 3rd world probably within a few years of the crash. The wars in the middle east for oil and the fights with Venezuela are just the first cracks in the damn. This thing may put us into a stone age. It will put us back in an agricultural age.

Enjoy your luxuries while you can, you'll have nothing but your family and your gun for comfort in old age. Welcome to a world in chaos. Welcome to Post Oil World.

Build.

PALEFORCE
01-10-2010, 10:50 AM
all we americans gotta do is this right now

dont vote for any incumbants
dont vote for a democrat or republican(except ron paul)
and dont buy anything from the large international corporations

its not hard

and if we all do that today, things will change overnight

Uncle Steezo
01-10-2010, 10:52 AM
this^
AND
other forms of energy are available.
they just want to squeeze the last few pennies out of what they got.

beautifulrock
01-10-2010, 10:55 AM
I plan on not needing oil in 20-30 years

Uncle Steezo
01-10-2010, 11:48 AM
one could make trillions if he were to work on a non oil based condom.
not lambskin.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
01-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Palehorse that will only exacerbate the problem. By meddling with the government we go into a full anarchy. Both sides however are manipulating the police state that will emerge that I will refer to here as "the inside" and the "outside" being the mixture of survivor nuts, looters, raiders, anarchist doomstead farmers (where I'd want to be), hippy-communists, and other miscreants.

Here's the choice: Do we stay with the government and support the communist/fascist change that Obama wants which will allow for the populations survival in relative comfort, but with a total lack of rights and a constant war of colonial ambition that bush's little power grabs make look like stealing change from mom's purse. This will last maybe a few decades before it peters out and the outside becomes flooded with ignorant city people used to our current technology.

The other choice is to go back to basics. I'm planning to buy land out west and set up shop. Worst comes to worse the government manages to restore society and I used that time to find out what really matters in life, growing your own food, starting a family, and finding religion.

My guess is most of you will die or become slaves of the Government with your nice AC and well fare and food dolls and armed supervision.

PALEFORCE
01-10-2010, 03:00 PM
how would it exacerbate the situation?

either way this system has to fall.
its corrupt, it doesnt respect life , or planet
the a recipe for disaster

Uncle Steezo
01-10-2010, 03:38 PM
when i forget boarz is a kid, threads like this remind me.

HANZO
01-10-2010, 04:55 PM
an easy solution to all this is to build your very own hydrogen fuel cell stack. a pretty big one.

then use the process of electrolysis to extract hydrogen from the waste water in your house. you need microbes to break down the organic matter in the water. when this is pumped into your fuel cell you generate electricity, heat and clean water. a big enough fuel cell will easily run your house and supply you with clean water and heat. at the same time you if you have a hydrogen powered car you can fill it up using your home fuel cell.

so no need for oil.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
01-10-2010, 04:56 PM
In what way does this imply my youth?

This is a real problem. Oil is on the decline and we've hardly cut back, and I don't think people will be willing to cut back until it's too late. Green technology is not going to be 80% of our power in the next ten years. I have no faith in that. This also explains most of the leftist actions. The Left is trying to build the infrastructure to bring this event to pass. The huge debt is just another part of it. It's like the Roman Empire, They expanded quickly, but eventually an uncontrollable series of factors for them it was a lack of communications, and their foreign policies that forced them to gradually reduce their civilization until it collapsed.

For us it's our lack of non fossil fuel energy our culture of excess and our lack of "real" jobs. Our energy needs will force people into urban areas (the coastlines and perhaps major inland cities) from there the military will be used to make sure what remains of the fuel keeps coming in. Communal urban societies are far less wasteful with resources then rural and country ones are now. Train and bike travel in the urban regions will reduce fuel as will people living communally in high rise buildings. Farming will be government run super farms manned by efficient machines. The masses will be clothed and fed and kept doing work as if nothing was happening. All the while the real power is the military seizing foreign goods to feed to them to keep them busy. It will be the end of a real economy.

That's the bright side. On the bad side all you city folk die when the food riots break out when it gets too expensive to drive food from the midwest to your table. When you can't drive away because there isn't gas for sale in your region.

Your choice is a slow decline into dark age life (starting over 1000 years wasted) or an immediate plunge into anarchy. The government will keep you cozy for a while, so don't worry about it. This is the Change Obama is talking about. He's fundamentally changing our infrastructure to protect those who wouldn't otherwise manage to protect themselves.

There's no way we can continue in this state. Enjoy it while you can. In fifty years we'll be using radios to communicate in the most developed regions.

:(

You're the one who thinks he's all mystical and spiritually fox like and shit when he's talking in KTL. You just can't see the facts of reality.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
01-10-2010, 04:58 PM
an easy solution to all this is to build your very own hydrogen fuel cell stack. a pretty big one.

then use the process of electrolysis to extract hydrogen from the waste water in your house. you need microbes to break down the organic matter in the water. when this is pumped into your fuel cell you generate electricity, heat and clean water. a big enough fuel cell will easily run your house and supply you with clean water and heat. at the same time you if you have a hydrogen powered car you can fill it up using your home fuel cell.

so no need for oil.

? you need electricity to break up the water and you gain electricity when you reconnect them into water. But because of physics you can't make new energy and thus you lose energy by this process...

Fuel cells are a clean way to STORE ENGERGY collected through GREEN energy source like SOLAR PANELS, WIND TURBINES, and WATER TURBINES.

HANZO
01-10-2010, 05:07 PM
? you need electricity to break up the water and you gain electricity when you reconnect them into water. But because of physics you can't make new energy and thus you lose energy by this process...

and thats where hydrodams come in, you break up the water by using power generated by hydrodams. the energy lost in the process is heat and you can re-use that instead of wasting it.

the technique works, the only problem is the fuel cell's dnt produce enough electricity to run a house unless you have a really really big fuel cell. when we can decrease the volume of a fuel cell stack then it can work.

they have tested shit like this already, for now it runs on a supply of gas. but soon you can use water. so soon if the government allows everyone will have their own energy station.

PALEFORCE
01-10-2010, 05:58 PM
post how to build it

TheBoarzHeadBoy
01-10-2010, 06:02 PM
and thats where hydrodams come in, you break up the water by using power generated by hydrodams. the energy lost in the process is heat and you can re-use that instead of wasting it.

the technique works, the only problem is the fuel cell's dnt produce enough electricity to run a house unless you have a really really big fuel cell. when we can decrease the volume of a fuel cell stack then it can work.

they have tested shit like this already, for now it runs on a supply of gas. but soon you can use water. so soon if the government allows everyone will have their own energy station.

Sorry I was just clarifying so we didn't have confusion. Because obviously you can't get more energy out of something then you put into it. Which is why fossil fuels etc take so long to produce. But yes, water is the best source of energy.

HANZO
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Sorry I was just clarifying so we didn't have confusion. Because obviously you can't get more energy out of something then you put into it. Which is why fossil fuels etc take so long to produce. But yes, water is the best source of energy.

oh right.

its all about energy efficiency. for example only 15% of the energy of the fuel you put in your car actually translates to mechanical energy to move the car. thats the actual problem. with fuel cells you get around 60%. hydrogen is the way forward. plus you find ways to make use of your waste. if theres 40% waste energy and its heat. you capture that and store it somewhere else.

we can replace our current power plants with other methods, but it just costs way too much and no government wants to instantly replace all their coal plants. Nuclear energy can be used but environmentalists cry about that. countries with loads of rivers and excess land can build loads of wind turbines and hydrodams and produce alot of power. but they dnt want to cause it doesnt make sense economically. plus we can just use Gas instead of oil, and there is a lot of gas in the world especially in a place called central asia.

Uncle Steezo
01-10-2010, 06:48 PM
my point is that you are yelling "WAKE UP WAKE UP!!!" to a room full of alert people drinking coffee.

do you really think that anyone on this site doesn't know that oil is almost gone and the consequences of that fact?

personally, i was told this as a kid.
my generation was the 1st to be told that we would not have oil as adults.

my comment about you being a kid, which you are, so idk why you got butt hurt, was directed at the fact that you were given responses that had clear solutions and you responded with more chicken little panic.

take a deep breath, relax.

alternative forms of energy.
start with tidal and wind- easy to construct. no new tech needs to be created to implement it. a single km long tidal array could power the UK FOREVER.
the major complaint about wind power is aesthetics, people don't wanrt to see where their power comes from, same with food but thats another thread topic.

research and improve solar- this virtually infinite source has been neglected unaddressed and/or suppressed. until the issues of the current solar cells can be solved, all non essential appliances/gadets/components should be powered exclusively
by solar cells, if need be with a battery back up.

then we can talk about zero point energy and N. Tesla. or get into negative mass electrons and T. Moray.

if you want to get really exotic, try localized aether deformity to prodice non-limited energy. the russians did it in 07.

then if all else fails, there's always alien tech.

PALEFORCE
01-10-2010, 06:57 PM
great post

hers a vid on free energy
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7365305906535911834&ei=TXdKS8mtH5aClgfw_u3tBw&q=race+to+zero+point&hl=en#

water is the next oil

TheBoarzHeadBoy
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
my point is that you are yelling "WAKE UP WAKE UP!!!" to a room full of alert people drinking coffee.

do you really think that anyone on this site doesn't know that oil is almost gone and the consequences of that fact?

personally, i was told this as a kid.
my generation was the 1st to be told that we would not have oil as adults.

my comment about you being a kid, which you are, so idk why you got butt hurt, was directed at the fact that you were given responses that had clear solutions and you responded with more chicken little panic.

take a deep breath, relax.

alternative forms of energy.
start with tidal and wind- easy to construct. no new tech needs to be created to implement it. a single km long tidal array could power the UK FOREVER.
the major complaint about wind power is aesthetics, people don't wanrt to see where their power comes from, same with food but thats another thread topic.

research and improve solar- this virtually infinite source has been neglected unaddressed and/or suppressed. until the issues of the current solar cells can be solved, all non essential appliances/gadets/components should be powered exclusively
by solar cells, if need be with a battery back up.

then we can talk about zero point energy and N. Tesla. or get into negative mass electrons and T. Moray.

if you want to get really exotic, try localized aether deformity to prodice non-limited energy. the russians did it in 07.

then if all else fails, there's always alien tech.

I'm very calm Gavin (I never get worked up about the internet, my postings are only frustrated if my real life is stressing me and I post), its just that you sounded a bit condescending so I was defending the argument. I'm seventeen, but I'm pretty well read and would place myself as one of the more aware people of my age. You were saying that you know I'm young because I'm just getting worried about this, where people of your generation expected it in the aftermath of the 1970s and oil shortages stressing things. I thought you were saying you knew I was young because I'd care about this.

The thing about tidal and wind power is that there is so fucking much of it and it will never run out. Its almost embarrassing that we ever used oil. Solar is dreadfully inefficient right now and its only really useful for additional power. It makes sense to use solar for the summer and winter for additional heating and cooling.

My pet dream is the building (or designing as I've always been interested in architecture) of an energy self efficient arcology complex (preferably in China or India) that could house several million people in comfort in a few square miles. If the power allotted to the structure is large enough we could grow indoors and we'd pretty much be self sufficient at that point. The more clean energy made the more crap we can have in a small area.

I mean an apple orchard of a single acre under good conditions (and controlled conditions dictate good conditions) produces 20 million calories of food. Thats enough for 22 people for a year at 2500 calories a day (presuming one could just eat apples) so with proper agriculture we could easily feed the whole world if we had the power to grow the crops in stacked farming block units. You could potentially have dozens of farms stacked on each other with hundreds of acres of land a piece, all you need is the power to light them under growing lamps and get them water and vent the CO2 of the populace into the farm areas and send the O2 back. It's all simple chemistry.

I do think zero point is cool, but its complex, and I'm all about KISS when it comes to building blocks of civilization.

Edit: Thought I'd give you an image of what I meant by arcology.

http://www.inhabitat.com/wp-content/uploads/timezig2.jpg

EAGLE EYE
01-10-2010, 08:26 PM
HAHAHA @ 'chicken little panic'

I'm hoping the alien disclosure and some new galactic gifts come before the peak happens.

But on a serious note, I read a great article recently in WIRED about "Thorium" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorium) and the potential it has for the energy crisis. It's 4X more abundant than uranium.

Here is that article: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2009/12/ff_new_nukes/

Uncle Steezo
01-10-2010, 10:14 PM
thorium hmmm?
don't like it. sounds too Norwegian for my liking.
http://www.thefunkstore.com/CurrentCDs/June2006/CD-BillCosbyFunkAlbum.jpg

EAGLE EYE
01-10-2010, 10:18 PM
The word "Thor" is just to Rad for u glistening club hoppin' sweaties