PDA

View Full Version : Rap Music Didn't Start In The 70's Did It?

CharlesJones
01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
I thought that rap music started in the early 80's. I know Rapper's Delight was the first rap song and that came out in 1979 right? After that, Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five came on the scene and rap music started to make some noise. White america was scared of it at first and they didn't wanna sign any rappers but thank god for the independent record companies for taking a chance with rap music and signing some rappers. Fuck them faggot white owners of record companies who eventually decided to sign some rappers when they saw they could make some money from rap music.

EnD
01-10-2010, 12:57 PM
Before Rapper's Delight:

NwLCw8ud_AQ

CharlesJones
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
I never heard of that guy. I've seen a few rap documentaries before and i keep hearing people say rap music started in the 70's but i find it hard to believe. Does anybody know the first rap song on record? I first heard rap when i was a kid in the early 80's. The first rap albums my parents bought me were Run DMC's King Of Rock and Whodini's Back In Black. I love that Whodini album. Lot of tight songs on that album such as Funky Beat, One Love, Growing Up, I'm A Ho, Echo Scratch, Last Night I Had A Long Talk With Myself, The Good Part. They fell off after that album LOL.

Frank Sobotka
01-10-2010, 01:23 PM
is this charlesjones guy serious?

CharlesJones
01-10-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah i'm serious. Ok since your a rap historian(LOL), tell me what was the first rap song on record?

Edgar Erebus
01-10-2010, 03:33 PM
http://rap.about.com/od/hiphop101/a/hiphoptimeline.htm

BIG D O
01-11-2010, 05:26 PM
kool herc and Bambataa both have said that Hip-Hop was goin on in the 70's ....

Tommy
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
Muhammad Ali started rap.

LORD NOSE
01-11-2010, 07:08 PM
I thought that rap music started in the early 80's. I know Rapper's Delight was the first rap song and that came out in 1979 right? After that, Kurtis Blow and Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five came on the scene and rap music started to make some noise. White america was scared of it at first and they didn't wanna sign any rappers but thank god for the independent record companies for taking a chance with rap music and signing some rappers. Fuck them faggot white owners of record companies who eventually decided to sign some rappers when they saw they could make some money from rap music.

before the sugar hill gang put out records, flash and them were rockin crowds for some time

I never heard of that guy. I've seen a few rap documentaries before and i keep hearing people say rap music started in the 70's but i find it hard to believe. Does anybody know the first rap song on record?

King Tim III was the first recorded rap record that rapped the way we was rappin

King Tim III is the name of the song - the bands name is The FatBack Band

before muhammad ali, there was louis armstrong

rockin the mic in the parks to breaks is something different though

check two
01-16-2010, 03:45 AM
I recall Richard Nixon doing some rapping back in the day.

MAYOR QUIMBY
01-17-2010, 03:09 AM
Rap/Hip-Hop had been going on from mid to late 70's in New York but not officially until 1979, when the first rap songs were put on wax. Kool Herc is historically recorded as rap music's first DJ. He was born in Jamaica but moved to NY and would hold "hip hop" parties throughout the Bronx in the 70's. The first recorded emcee is Coke La Rock. He would chant "Throw ya hands in the air, wave 'em from here to there" and "You rock and ya don't stop" as well as other popular phrases still used today. The first hip-hop radio show was Mr. Magic's Disco Showcase in NYC and began in 1979.

A little tidbit for fun: Mayor of New York City Edward Koch officially declared May 3rd, 1985 "Rap Music Day" due to hip-hop's positive impact in the community.

ALCATRAZ
01-17-2010, 03:13 AM
haahah that king tim joint slaps

LORD NOSE
01-17-2010, 03:29 AM
i got like 2 of them on wax if anyone got big money to get em from

and other classics

Martial-Expert
01-17-2010, 03:09 PM
he wasnt the first person to rhyme!

Cthulhu
01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Wasn't Jamaican dancehall toasting also an early precursor to rap and early dub music a precursor to hip-hop beat sampling?

LORD NOSE
01-17-2010, 05:44 PM
yes - from my understanding though Louis Armstrong was the first to spit heat on the mic when the break came in -