PDA

View Full Version : Spiderman 4 Scrapped. Raimi and Maguire out. Reboot set for 2012

DirtMcgehrk
01-11-2010, 06:26 PM
Apparently Spiderman 4 was just canceled. Sam Raimi is out as director and Tobey Maguire is no longer going to be Spiderman. They're going to do a reboot of the series that's set to come out in 2012. This totally blindsided me, especially after the announcement that John Malkovich was going to be The Vulture.

http://www.deadline.com/hollywood/urgent-spider-man-4-scrapped-as-is-raimi-and-cast-out-franchise-reboot-planned/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Thoughts on this? I'm not sure what to think until I know who the new director will be and who the new Spiderman will be for the reboot. As bad as Spiderman 3 was, I like Raimi as a director. S3 was just a huge misstep with too many ideas trying to be crammed into one film.

KZA
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
he was forced to cramming venom into the movie so he had eric foreman play venom because he didnt like the character.

it was over the script because sony did not want vulture as the main villain.

hopefully they use gwen stacy and flash thompson in the first film maybe follow the path of spectacular spider-man cartoon.

might be a good move look at what happened with batman.

p-rok73
01-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I'll still watch the new movie when it comes out. Maybe they should rename it as well, "Amazing", "Spectacular", "Web", etc. After all, the new Batman reboot wasn't Batman 5 or whatever number it could have been. As long as it's done right I could care less who the villain is, SM3 really fucked up Venom.

angry!
01-11-2010, 08:37 PM
kirsten dunst crack pipe just increased activity!!!!!!!!!! career stopping news!!!!!!! mainstream male audiences across the world breathe easy!!!!!!!!!!

this is best for the franchise!!!! spiderman 3 sucked and everyone saw it!!!!!!

they need to dead the hugh jackman wolverine movies too!!!!!!! marvel needs to up the quality control!!!!!!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-11-2010, 08:39 PM
yeah spiderman 3 was a joke

fatboybrandon
01-11-2010, 09:50 PM
I think the Spiderman movie franchise is good as is without a part 4, seems like 3 was too much or just not well thought out as it should have been for a script. No need to water the trilogy down anymore, I don't wanna be depressed like I was going from T2 to T3.

TAURO
01-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Im actually happy about this. Raimi had is run, 3 films is enough for one director.

DR. NICK RIVIERA
01-12-2010, 11:30 AM
all 3 movies were a joke, at least Transformers kept me entertained [both had stupid plots tho]

it's not like spiderman was as good as first two xmen [the third is horrible, next to wolverine, bad scripts all over the place]

and no way is this getting on the same wavelength as the Watchmen or Batman:Begins [and TDK, of course]...spiderman is still too 'childish' to be taken seriously.

Poetic Wun
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
what is it about directors that do a good job at first and then totally shit out the scripts toward the end

TAURO
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
^^They become less enthused with the property and just generally stick with the "bigger is always better" philosophy. In the end to some it just becomes another paycheck job.

Most of the time though it's just more studio pressure which just fucks with the creative process.

DirtMcgehrk
01-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Update. Here's a new article saying that the script for the reboot is already written. Sony is going to go for a relatively young, unknown director as well as a young unknown actor. The storyline will focus on Spiderman's high school years as well and will be considerably "darker" than the previous installments.

http://www.collider.com/2010/01/11/spider-man-reboot-already-written-film-to-be-gritty-contemporary/

IMO this could go two ways: It could be a good thing, and Spiderman could follow in the footsteps of something like The Dark Knight, OR, this new young director and young star could be the prelude to a Spiderman geared towards the MTV generation: In other words a "Twilite-ified" Spidey that makes the teenie-boppers swoon. I say this because when a company like Sony states that a franchise is going to be "darker" they often have a very skewed idea of what that actually is, and this edgy quality is essentially based on how much money it will make in the end. I could be totally wrong, but thus far it only seems like Sony making this decision because of money and not much else.

IrOnMaN
01-12-2010, 12:48 PM
This is complete total BULLSHIT to me! I thought that Spider-man 3 was the best out of all three, in my opinion. Reboot? They can't be serious.

I'm out of here!

the scarecrow
01-12-2010, 01:29 PM
they starting over then? cause if they try to continue off the first 3 movies that would be a real turn-off.

Razorsharp
01-13-2010, 04:46 AM
when they do decide to do venom, try a huge big guy not some 70s show bastid, and jus stick to venom by himself, and no emo parker -_-

Jeru
01-13-2010, 09:06 AM
As much as I hated the third movie, I still really liked the franchise and thought a fourth one could be entertaining...I think the Spiderman movies are too recent for a serious reboot consideration...The Spider series didn't fuck up like Batman And Robin fucked up the Batman franchise or as much as Superman 3 and 4 fucked up the Superman franchise...they still could've told some more stories but the trend nowadays is to reboot everything so they must've thought: hey we've got a billion dollar franchise here, let's reboot it...Not into this idea at all

Mai Wang Tu Phat
01-13-2010, 09:10 AM
Most movies based off of something usually aren't too great. There are exceptions, but I wasn't surprised at the Spider-Man movies not being great. But think about it, it's spiderman, a nerdy college kid who swings from building and wraps people up in web, and is a good fighter because of his reflexes, you can't really expect it to be off the wall amazing.

TAURO
01-13-2010, 09:15 AM
As much as I hated the third movie, I still really liked the franchise and thought a fourth one could be entertaining...I think the Spiderman movies are too recent for a serious reboot consideration...The Spider series didn't fuck up like Batman And Robin fucked up the Batman franchise or as much as Superman 3 and 4 fucked up the Superman franchise...they still could've told some more stories but the trend nowadays is to reboot everything so they must've thought: hey we've got a billion dollar franchise here, let's reboot it...Not into this idea at all

The reason why the reboot is happening so soon is because unlike warner brothers and their DC comic book propertys, Sony who own the film rights to spiderman, have a clause in their contract which states that if they don't keep making spiderman films after a certain point in time, they will lose the rights completely. Since spiderman is also a cash cow for Sony it's only natural they would want to pump out these movies as quickly as possible while simultaniously allow them to hold on to the rights.

Little Corey
01-14-2010, 09:00 AM
there is a rumor that the movie is going to be made, and robert patterson is going to take over the roll. I'm not so sure on this statement but it's whats going around down here

Mai Wang Tu Phat
01-14-2010, 09:03 AM
robert patterson is going to take over the roll
Fuck that.

Poetic Wun
01-14-2010, 10:56 AM
^lol i'd literally make it a point in my life to find the director and murder him.

i think they just dont want a director that kinda knows what they're doing.
sony needs someone that they can push around.

i have no hope left for any hero movie.

fuck anyone that is working on any movie besides a Daredevil reboot.

IrOnMaN
01-14-2010, 01:15 PM
there is a rumor that the movie is going to be made, and robert patterson is going to take over the roll. I'm not so sure on this statement but it's whats going around down here

Who?!

Little Corey
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
the dude from twlight that all the girls like these days.... he is also from harry potter.

DirtMcgehrk
01-14-2010, 05:40 PM
Well now it's rumored that Marc Webb (500 Days of Summer) is on the top of the list to direct. Sony apparently really wants him on board for it.

Kenny Powers
01-14-2010, 09:09 PM
ohhh, robert pattinson. That would be an instant franchise death if he was peter parker.

Personally I hate the idea of replacing tobey, regardless of whoever it is

check two
01-15-2010, 03:31 AM
I heard that the werewolf guy from Twilight might be in the movie also, as a villain.

Poetic Wun
01-15-2010, 03:52 AM
i read today all them rumors are false

Little Corey
01-15-2010, 09:51 AM
there are movies that when u replace the main actor with someone else it just kills the movie, like harrypotter and such spiderman is defently in that catorgory. No matter who it was that replaced toby it still wouldnt be the same.

hectis
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I thought 3 was wack, and 1 and 2 were ok at best. I hpe this new one is good

IrOnMaN
01-15-2010, 12:18 PM
Fuck Sony for doing this unnecessary bullshit!