PDA

View Full Version : Knowledge is Thirst...

We Todd Did
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Knowledge is thirst, just not from a fountain.

http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2010/01/09/alg_fountain_soda.jpg

STUDY: Nearly half of soda fountains contaminated with fecal matter

A study of soda taken from thirty fountain machines in Roanoke, Virginia found nearly half of all beverages had coliform bacteria -- a group of bacteria indicative of fecal contamination.

48 percent of beverages obtained from soda fountains contained coliform bacteria, 11 percent contained E. coli (which are mostly harmless, but some can cause diarrhea, urinary tract infections, respiratory illness and pneumonia), and 17 percent had Chryseobacterium meningosepticum (which could sicken newborns or adults with weakened immune systems).

Sources:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/01/08/soda.fountain.bacteria/index.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/health/2010/01/08/2010-01-08_soda_fountain_machines_harbor_fecal_bacteria_st udy_finds.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Germs/soda-fountains-squirt-fecal-bacteria-study-finds/story?id=9506583

http://www.newsfirst5.com/news/some-fountain-soda-machines-may-have-fecal-matter-contamination/

and handfuls of other sites on the interwebs.

Are you going to continue drinking from fountains?

LORD NOSE
01-11-2010, 06:16 PM
keep postin

Mumm Ra
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
good thing i never drink that stuff

Face of the Golden Falcon
01-11-2010, 08:26 PM
^ co-sign. I've never liked any kinds of soda, so I guess my taste buds know what's up.

...nice posts WTD

HETEPU

Mumm Ra
01-11-2010, 08:31 PM
i was a soda junkie up through highschool until i decided one day id go cold turkey
i bet if most people tried drinking purified water for a month/two they'd switch.
i love water now way more than i ever did soda

diggy
01-11-2010, 11:31 PM
I believe it was the tv show 20/20 that first brought this story to the wider public years ago. The fecal contamination was found in the ice cube maker machine.

It was assumed people who did a number 2 did not wash their hands afterward and cross-contaminated equipment.

They recommended that people should not get soda with ice cubes in it.

Mumm Ra
01-11-2010, 11:35 PM
i bet the soda is more harmful than the amount of fecal matter

diggy
01-11-2010, 11:39 PM
Fecal matter is not the only concern - there are diseases associated with it like hep A and C.

LORD NOSE
01-11-2010, 11:57 PM
the words thirst and coke at the top is iLL

We Todd Did
01-12-2010, 12:06 AM
This test proved the contamination wasn't inside the ice cubes/ice cube maker. Not the case here or my story below...

About 2 yrs ago, I purchased a soda at my workplace. The cup shoots through the chute, cubes fall into the cup, and the carbonated water with Fanta Orange soda syrup dispense right after. This time, there was no soda syrup. I felt ripped off.

I like sparkling mineral water, so it crossed my mind; should I drink it? I look at cup contents... Ice, Water, and a light tint of Fanta Orange soda syrup. On top of that, a rainbow colored film streaked across the top (like gasoline on water).

My wife works for the water district and a co-worker of hers said he would do a test on the water for me. It came back positive for coliform (same bacteria this thread sites). He said its most likely from the petroleum tubing that dispenses the liquids. They become old and they never get replace as they should.

TSA
01-12-2010, 12:13 AM
fountain pop is the shit! HI C from a fountain tastes better then HI C else where imo.
but most pencils and spoons contain these bacteria as well.

Mumm Ra
01-12-2010, 12:19 AM
This test proved the contamination wasn't inside the ice cubes/ice cube maker. Not the case here or my story below...

About 2 yrs ago, I purchased a soda at my workplace. The cup shoots through the chute, cubes fall into the cup, and the carbonated water with Fanta Orange soda syrup dispense right after. This time, there was no soda syrup. I felt ripped off.

ive never seen a vending machine work like that before -
but ive had 'soda' from a restaurant when they run outta syrup - that carbonated water is nasssty

TSA
01-12-2010, 12:28 AM
the yhave this new vending machine that can give you any pop coke has ever made ever, even the discontinued ones.

you select from this huge catalog of shit by narrowing it down or whatever then i makes it in the machine and gives it to you.

the shit is whored, im gonna find a youtube of it

diggy
01-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Whatever the source of contamination, the end result is the same; fecal matter in soda - and that is not good.

We Todd Did
01-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Yeah, "that" carbonated water is piss. This whole fountain contamination is shit, hah. Whachu gonna do? Only thing to do is stop drinking them. That's it. Pay extra for the bottled water.

We Todd Did
01-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Yeah, some people need credibility though. That explains the links. I'm not just talking out my ass. That's why I copy and pasted quotes from a couple.

Let's see that youtube link of the Coke Machine Ultra 2000 Generation Rx.

I guess its time to stop drinking the sodas. Already stopped the swine intake (resolution).

Anyone see them new (old) throwback Pepsi/Mountain Dew released w/real sugar? Probably try one before I quit cold turkey. Can of course.

Mumm Ra
01-12-2010, 12:53 AM
Pay extra for the bottled water.
i pay 29 cents a gallon for the best stuff on earf :dududu:
best of both worlds

We Todd Did
01-12-2010, 01:41 AM
And what would that be?

I drink bottled Arrowhead.

Mumm Ra
01-12-2010, 02:28 AM
reverse osmosis purified water
get it at my local supermarket (meijer in the midwest)

We Todd Did
01-12-2010, 02:58 AM
I'm going to look for that stuff. Sounds like it has gold flakes in it. Now I got to find a Flouride'less toof'paste.