PDA

View Full Version : Lane Kiffin at SC

Mic Tyson
01-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Tennessee's Lane Kiffin has been named the next head coach at Southern California, athletic director Mike Garrett announced on Tuesday.

Kiffin replaces Pete Carroll, who jumped to the NFL as coach of the Seattle Seahawks.

"We are really excited to welcome Lane Kiffin back to USC," Garrett said in a statement. "I was able to watch him closely when he was an assistant with us and what I saw was a bright, creative young coach who I thought would make an excellent head coach here if the opportunity ever arose. I'm confident he and his staff will keep USC football performing at the high level that we expect."

The hiring was first reported by ESPN.com's Chris Low.

Kiffin, the former Oakland Raiders coach, led the Volunteers for only one season.

Kiffin has been on the move of late. He was 7-6 in his one season at Tennessee and 5-15 in one-plus seasons with the Raiders before being fired in September 2008.

He was a member of the USC coaching staff from 2001 to '06, first as wide receivers coach and then as offensive coordinator under Carroll.

Kiffin will bring his father and defensive coordinator, Monte Kiffin, and assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator Ed Orgeron to Southern California with him.

Sources tell Low that Tennessee wide receivers coach Kippy Brown will be named interim coach of the Volunteers. He had been given the opportunity to follow Kiffin to USC as well.

Orgeron was with the Trojans for seven seasons before becoming the head coach at Mississippi and then an assistant with the New Orleans Saints.

Lane and Monte Kiffin and Orgeron will hold a news conference on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET in the Heritage Hall Varsity Lounge at USC.

At least one USC player was excited about the hiring of Kiffin.

"This is really good," running back Marc Tyler told ESPNLosAngeles.com. "Lane is great. He's got a lot of energy. I talked to him and coach [Steve] Sarkisian all the time when I was coming in. This is really good."

When told Orgeron was coming with Kiffin, he said, "Wow, Really? That's awesome too."

"Lane brings a lot to the table," Garrett said. "He has a coaching background both in the pros and in the best collegiate conferences. He has a great command of the X's and O's. He is familiar with the Trojan landscape and will be a great representative of our university. He keeps the game fun. And, very importantly, he has proven to be one of the finest recruiters anywhere."

The 34-year-old Kiffin is one of Carroll's top disciples from his nine-year tenure at USC. Kiffin, a former Fresno State quarterback, worked his way up to offensive coordinator in 2005 while also showing impressive recruiting skills.

For two seasons, he shared responsibility for the Trojans' offense with fellow longtime Carroll assistant Sarkisian, who left USC to take over at Washington after the 2008 season.

Although Kiffin's forceful personality didn't make him a beloved figure among players or administrators, he was a key part of the Trojans' best years under Carroll, coordinating their passing game and providing instruction to quarterbacks Matt Leinart and John David Booty.

Kiffin then became Al Davis' unusual choice to take over the Raiders as a 31-year-old coach with almost no NFL experience. He made it through just 20 games before an ugly public firing in which Davis called Kiffin a liar who brought "disgrace" on the Raiders.

Kiffin was the youngest head coach in the Football Bowl Subdivision last season, but he also brought an unwelcome spotlight on the Vols with several minor NCAA violations.

He returns to USC with the school facing a yearslong NCAA investigation over events during his tenure as an assistant, including Reggie Bush's final years at the school.

Kiffin was suggested as a candidate immediately after Carroll's departure became official Sunday, but many Trojans thought he wouldn't be willing or able to leave Tennessee after just one year. Several coaches with USC ties said they weren't interested in the job, including NFL coaches Jeff Fisher and Jack Del Rio and Oregon State coach Mike Riley.

Monte Kiffin will lend his defensive acumen to a school that annually fielded an impressive defense under Carroll, while Orgeron is likely to return to his role as the Trojans' best recruiter who helped stack Carroll's early USC teams with a dizzying array of topflight talent.

Quarterback Matt Barkley has said that he is staying at Southern California despite the departures of the three coaches to which he was closest: Carroll, Jeremy Bates and Sarkisian.

"It's just a great place to be, and a great place to live," he said. "We've got everything going for us."

check two
01-12-2010, 09:12 PM
This was new thread worthy?

Mic Tyson
01-12-2010, 09:39 PM
do u watch college football?

if a thread about urban meyer leaving is worthy then so is this

Kenny Powers
01-12-2010, 10:14 PM
one scumbag head coach replace another scumbag head coach, makes sense to me

hectis
01-12-2010, 10:19 PM
well I see he was truly committed to Tennessee after spend so long their

Mic Tyson
01-12-2010, 11:46 PM
one scumbag head coach replace another scumbag head coach, makes sense to me

lol i always thought carrol was cool.... until he pulled that seahawks shit.

KZA
01-13-2010, 12:13 AM
norm chow might be on his way back to sc also

sucks to see carroll leave.

check two
01-13-2010, 02:50 AM
The first time I saw the thread title, I thought it was referring to South Carolina. lol

Mic Tyson
01-13-2010, 09:41 AM
^^^^^^lol

if norm chow goes to USC, its over

Olive Oil Goombah
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM
whats over?

USC as a major powerhouse thats what.

Huge loss for them.

Mic Tyson
01-13-2010, 11:24 AM
what the hell are u talkin about? usc is gonna be back to where they were in couple years. kiffin can recruit. they'll be back to the way they were soon. maybe even next season. im sure they will win the pac 10

they still won't be able to fuck wit the buckeyes next year. we goin to the BCS championship

Kenny Powers
01-13-2010, 03:24 PM
lol i always thought carrol was cool.... until he pulled that seahawks shit.

yeah he gives that impression. But a lot of his players (bush, mcknight, williams i think) and usc athletics in general were surrounded by scandals.

Mic Tyson
01-13-2010, 04:29 PM
yeah he gives that impression. But a lot of his players (bush, mcknight, williams i think) and usc athletics in general were surrounded by scandals.

yea i know i hate that shit. but at least kiffin will feel right at home lol. he might bring some hostesses wit him

Kenny Powers
01-13-2010, 10:29 PM
in addition to his wife:

http://behindblondiepark.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/lane-kiffins-wife-layla-02.jpg

Olive Oil Goombah
01-14-2010, 01:27 AM
what the hell are u talkin about? usc is gonna be back to where they were in couple years. kiffin can recruit. they'll be back to the way they were soon. maybe even next season. im sure they will win the pac 10

they still won't be able to fuck wit the buckeyes next year. we goin to the BCS championship

Nah man.....im not sayin USC wont have talent.....they always will....but can Kiffin keep em on top??

Carroll for as much success as he had, only won ONE national championship.

While the Buckeyes are getting shitted on, they have been in more national Championship games than USC PLUS they play in a tougher conference cuz the Pac10 aint as good as the Big Ten...Period.

Especially when Michigan is normal.

And before Carroll USC fell off HARD....

check two
01-14-2010, 07:42 PM
So Kiffin had persuaded a recruit to come to Tennessee and he had promised him and his family that he would be there for his whole college career? lol

Wu-Tang Forum Internet Poster
01-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Charles Barkley just said that Lanke Kiffin "must have pictures of somebody having sex with a monkey", and as far as I know, Kiffin has yet to deny that rumor.

Mic Tyson
01-14-2010, 08:49 PM
So Kiffin had persuaded a recruit to come to Tennessee and he had promised him and his family that he would be there for his whole college career? lol

yea lol, alot of recruits were like what the fuck do i do now? but i wouldnt have based my decision of a college solely on a coach

THE W
01-14-2010, 08:58 PM
we'll see what he can do in going to a school thats the top recruiter in its conference, unlike tennessee which is #6.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-14-2010, 11:52 PM
well this is the way of college football.

Only a handful of schools have the coaches that are 'lifers' or at least until they retire.

right now tho....Tressel and Paterno would be the only left.

The thing is that if a coach is a hot commodity and has a rare chance to coach at a great university, then he is going to leave.

As good as the SEC is, none of those schools is as prestigious as a school like, Notre Dame, Ohio State, USC, Texas, Michigan and even Penn State. Maybe Alabama is the only one you could say that for.

Tennessee definitely is not a school in those categories. Plus you also have to factor in coaching in states where the high school football talent is large.

California is just that...Texas, Florida, Ohio....thats why those programs will ALWAYS be good.

01-15-2010, 04:56 PM
Laughable, Tooch. You must not understand the culture of the SEC. Things change QUICK in college football.

Nobody thinks Ohio State is prestigious anymore.

Mic Tyson
01-15-2010, 05:49 PM
Laughable, Tooch. You must not understand the culture of the SEC. Things change QUICK in college football.

Nobody thinks Ohio State is prestigious anymore.

^^^^^what in the hell? Ohio state is still a TOP 5 program. all u have to do is look at their BCS rankings at the beginning of every year to know that they are still prestigious.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-15-2010, 06:11 PM
the SEC has a bunch of good schools but none of them besides Alabama has a history that can match those schools that I mentioned.

Florida is starting to build a legacy....STARTING.

Dan i dont expect you to kno much about college football. Your from the Northeast and you relocated to Kentucky.

B-ball is your field young man

01-15-2010, 10:01 PM
I prefer college basketball, NBA and NFL to college football, but I still understand the game. Recruits don't care about history. We're living in the now. The SEC IS the #1 college football conference.

It isn't a debate.

Mic Tyson
01-15-2010, 10:59 PM
I prefer college basketball, NBA and NFL to college football, but I still understand the game. Recruits do care about history. We're living in the now. The SEC WAS the #1 college football conference.

It isn't a debate.

fixed

i dont know where u got the idea that recruits don't care about the history of a team. why do you think certain schools get the top recruits?

and SEC will not be the best conference next year. Florida is done. the only team that can go to the BCS is Alabama and they way they almost got beat by Texas, they're overrated. Ohio State would fuck Alabama up.

01-15-2010, 11:58 PM
fixed

i dont know where u got the idea that recruits don't care about the history of a team. why do you think certain schools get the top recruits?

and SEC will not be the best conference next year. Florida is done. the only team that can go to the BCS is Alabama and they way they almost got beat by Texas, they're overrated. Ohio State would fuck Alabama up.

The fuck are you talking about???

The SEC has been heads and shoulders above every other conference in recent years.

And its not a debate. It's fact

So who's getting the best recruits?!?!?!

It isn't even close.

So you live in LA and cheer for USC...ok, that's cute, but its 2010 now, and the SEC dominates and has dominated for the past several years.

BECAUSE they get the best recruits.

You can try and tell me what's going to happen next year, but who keeps winning the BCS championship??

I can't even believe im debating it.

Mic Tyson
01-16-2010, 12:17 AM
all im sayin is the SEC is losin steam. the big ten is up there with them now, and will soon be the best conference once michigan gets better. the best team in the SEC this year barely beat a team without their starting qb. The conference is a little overrated, thats why they have been getting to go to the BCS championship. Florida and LSU didn't even deserve to go to the BCS championship in 06 and 07.

01-16-2010, 12:44 AM
Come on now. All I'm saying is that nothing matters in college football except the last 5 years. ESPECIALLY when you're dealing with recruits.

The SEC has dominated. Pure and simple.

What happens when the big 10 plays the SEC? TOoch, you there?

It is the premiere football conference in the country, in the premeire football region of the country.

and Florida and LSU didn't deserve to go to the championship games?!? That's crazy talk

Olive Oil Goombah
01-16-2010, 02:15 AM
Well yes the SEC is the top conference top to bottom and Florida RIGHT NOW is the top program.

But OHIO STATE is a top program. The rest of the Big Ten might be down, but you cannot deny that we have been to 3 NC games in the past decade and are always in a BCS game.
Yes, there have been losses but USC has only won once too.

Ohio State pumps out as many draft picks as anyone in the country, if not more. Only USC and Miami come close.

You can jump on the hating on Ohio State bandwagon but year in and out, they are contenders and its been this way since Woody Hayes. Its going to continue to be that way.

You also have to factor in the lower academic standards int eh SEC.....how they recruit is a prime example of this.

Compulsion
01-16-2010, 05:06 AM
fixed

Same OSU that lost to a 9-4 USC Team at home? Right....Ohio State would have lost to Alabama or Texas. OSU is a consistant top 10 team, but they dominate a shitty conference(recently) like USC has. With the B10 + ohio direction schools for OOC they will always be in the pre-season top 10....

Anyway Ohio State is one of the last schools that should act like they academically superior to anyone. Florida is a better University, and is harder to get into. The academic standards is a non-issue unless you are ivy league. Cal-Berkeley is a far superior school to OSU and they don't have problems with getting athletes in. Ohio State doesn't either and to say they do is a joke. You let the same kids in the SEC does.

Mic Tyson
01-16-2010, 10:03 AM
yea SEC does suck academically. they got some shitty ass graduation rates, except vanderbuilt lol.

and yea the same OSU team that beat Oregon would beat Alabama. We haven't done good against teams with crazy speed like Florida but we give more physical teams like Alabama trouble because we're just as physical

Mic Tyson
01-16-2010, 10:08 AM
and Florida and LSU didn't deserve to go to the championship games?!? That's crazy talk

2006 should have been michigan vs ohio state. 2007 LSU hopped over 3 teams and had a 2 loss record to play OSU

Olive Oil Goombah
01-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Same OSU that lost to a 9-4 USC Team at home? Right....Ohio State would have lost to Alabama or Texas. OSU is a consistant top 10 team, but they dominate a shitty conference(recently) like USC has. With the B10 + ohio direction schools for OOC they will always be in the pre-season top 10....

Anyway Ohio State is one of the last schools that should act like they academically superior to anyone. Florida is a better University, and is harder to get into. The academic standards is a non-issue unless you are ivy league. Cal-Berkeley is a far superior school to OSU and they don't have problems with getting athletes in. Ohio State doesn't either and to say they do is a joke. You let the same kids in the SEC does.

The SEC's recruiting classes are usually huge because they will take any kid knowing full well that most will drop out academically.

You need to have decent grades to make the cut at OHio State, the standards are higher there than most when it comes to student-athletes.

its when Glenville recruit Latwan Anderson went to West Virginia this year.....he didnt have the grades.

its why Florida recruit Carlos Hyde could not enroll last year until he got his grades up and enrolled this year.

Im not really knockin the SEC, they are doing great right now. But fact is fact.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-16-2010, 10:32 AM
yea SEC does suck academically. they got some shitty ass graduation rates, except vanderbuilt lol.

and yea the same OSU team that beat Oregon would beat Alabama. We haven't done good against teams with crazy speed like Florida but we give more physical teams like Alabama trouble because we're just as physical

Well this is exactly why a playoff is needed. Ohio State was playing its best football at the end of the year.

Two totally different teams from start to finish.

Pryor came around and that defense was dominant.

01-16-2010, 10:53 AM
Academics are basically meaningless in this conversation, but whatever.

I'm not anti-Ohio State.

But today, as it has been for the last few years, the SEC is the premiere conference in college football.

Hands down.

And the Big 10 is clearly on a downswing, Now obviously, OSU finished strong, and I'm not saying the Big 10 is finished, and they'll probably come back up fine.

But as far as the PRESENT...

And you can never take away history, but....I mean, england has an awesome history and storied tradition, but look at it today... full of pussies.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-16-2010, 11:07 AM
running a clean program does have a little to do with it.

The Big Ten is hurting, mainly because Michigan fell off the face of th Earth the past 2 years.
I enjoy it, and enjooy beating them, but it does hurt the overall conference. It was only about 4 years ago that they were no. 2 and the Big Ten was considered the top conference so things change in college football rapidly.

THE W
01-16-2010, 11:27 AM
Florida and LSU didn't even deserve to go to the BCS championship in 06 and 07.

06-07 top 3

florida beat 4 ranked opponents
OSU beat 4 ranked opponents
michigan beat 2

can you name another 1 loss team that year that beat more ranked oppoenents than florida?

07-08

OSU beat 3 ranked opponents
LSU beat 6 ranked opponents
USC had 3 losses
LSU beat virginia tech

can you name another team that had only one loss that year or had 2 losses that beat more ranked teams than LSU?

check two, please do not bring up boise st with their weakass yearly schedule.

Olive Oil Goombah
01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Well OSU backed into the National championship game in 07....cuz every team they needed to lose on the last week, lost.

They were not really championship caliber that year. Boeckman was a terrible QB and they were still relatively young.