PDA

View Full Version : Most Creative Producers?

Mai Wang Tu Phat
01-13-2010, 08:18 AM
Not just looping samples, but who do you think are the most creative, inovative, producers dead, alive, working or retired?

Tommy
01-13-2010, 08:41 AM
Rick Rubin, The Dust Brothers, Prince Paul, DJ Muggs, J Dilla, and Erick Sermon.

Just a few of my favourites.

KillahBee09
01-13-2010, 08:45 AM
Rza, Pete Rock, Madlib, Dilla, Kanye, those are first 5 that come to mind

Tommy
01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
Let me throw The Bomb Squad in there as well as Dangermouse.

BGS
01-13-2010, 09:00 AM
i throw DOOM in there too, he's made some crazy ass beats

Blackprint
01-13-2010, 09:04 AM
Premo

Mai Wang Tu Phat
01-13-2010, 09:20 AM
Premo

Word

serioussam
01-13-2010, 09:39 AM
DR.DRE, 4th Disciple...

Shogah
01-13-2010, 11:04 AM
Dust brothers definitely, one of the originators of sampling.

They produced some songs on paul's boutique that consists from like 10 different samples, which is crazy

angry!
01-13-2010, 11:51 AM
dj paul and juciy j - three 6 has a huge catalogue, and paul and juicy are just flatout nasty on the beat tip!!!!!!! theyve pumped out countless crack beats and can flip just about any sample into an epic heat rock!!!!!!!! im talking video game sounds, arena sounds, movies, commericals, pop records, rock records, they can sample just about anything and flip that shit proper!!!!!!!! they had/have a sound cats are still chasing after!!!!!!

pete rock - his chops and sample selection were next level and pushed the genre forward, and hes still advancing his sound late in his career today!!!!!

mf doom - sons drums are nasty and original as fuck, niggas like kanye west bite dooms drums and blow up!!!!!!! quirky, funky, raw, they fit dooms personality but his beats are flames and hes not afraid to try some off the wall shit!!!!!! he needs to hit the boards hard again!!!! filthy with it!!!!!!!

just 3 i felt like talking about!!!!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-13-2010, 11:54 AM
90's RZA
end thread.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-13-2010, 12:00 PM
nah but also id say Ced Gee, Large Pro, Preem, Madlib, El p

fatboybrandon
01-13-2010, 12:24 PM
I'm choosin Prince Paul, he broke new ground in creativty with production, samples, humor & skit invention on 3 Ft High & Rising. He said he was inspired by The Bomb Squad, who were in turn inspired by Marley Marl, who is the man we have to thank for sampling in hip hop. I guess that's the pinnacle of creativity for me, then many other greats have been born from this trinity. Paul, Marley & The Shocklee Bros. have legends who are their proteges

To realize the true creativity of producers is to know their samples and how they flipped em, you can tell who is more original and innovated certain landmark techniques in production by listening this way. Where the hell is beeboy at?

9VrAF14A4oY

RIINě
01-13-2010, 12:32 PM
90% of madlibs beats are just loops, dudes a hardcore loopdigga, diggin like 24/7 in some european crates searching for loops that nobody will ever find...

i mean hes 1 of the best at what he does, n also 1 of my top5 fav producers, but hes not very creative

as far as creativity: 4th disciple, El P >>> >>> >>> madlib

grt05
01-13-2010, 12:34 PM
+1 for Rick Rubin.

Tommy
01-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Dust brothers definitely, one of the originators of sampling.

They produced some songs on paul's boutique that consists from like 10 different samples, which is crazy

I wish they did some more hip hop work, the shit on Paul's Boutique was absolutely incredible. The song is my sig is just one example of this.

I said Rick Rubin as well for the way he brilliantly fused hard rock into rap tracks.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-13-2010, 01:27 PM
90% of madlibs beats are just loops, dudes a hardcore loopdigga, diggin like 24/7 in some european crates searching for loops that nobody will ever find...

i mean hes 1 of the best at what he does, n also 1 of my top5 fav producers, but hes not very creative

as far as creativity: 4th disciple, El P >>> >>> >>> madlib

mad libs mad creative

madvillainy was one of the most creative albums of all time

having alot of records doesnt make you a legendary producer lol. and it doesnt make you creative.

if you gave a 1000 people, no wait not even people, if you gave a 1000 other average hip hop producers the same catalogue of vinyl Madlib works from, it wouldnt make them madlib.

youve obviously never had eperiance in sampling from vinyl and the nuances thats involved in sampling, and sampling from vinyl. Not only have you got to notice the right part (were not just talking about breaks with madlib), youve gotta know all the technical details on how to bring the best out of it. you gotta know how to mix it right, get the levels right. and most importantly pick the best part.

its possible to make 100 songs from one vinyl, all sounding different.

oh and J Dilla is in my list and Prince Paul for sure.

ALCATRAZ
01-13-2010, 01:40 PM
dilla comes to mind first ... his drums are never where they are techincally supposed 2 be ... but for some reason it works

RIINě
01-13-2010, 01:53 PM
yeah madlibs sample selection is one of the best! dude got ill ears, lol

he even said that most producers are ruining their loops by adding stupid stuff and/or chopping them up bad...but i still wish he would "flip" his samples more

LORD NOSE
01-13-2010, 01:56 PM
the bomb squad, prince paul, danger mouse, wooly noggins

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-13-2010, 02:13 PM
^danger mouse?

Er..}:|

Nick Fury
01-13-2010, 02:15 PM
madlib

Mai Wang Tu Phat
01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Primo, Pete Rock, Alchemist, RZA, Rick Rubin and Dr. Dre, in that order.

Drunken Monk
01-13-2010, 02:34 PM
onra

fatboybrandon
01-13-2010, 02:35 PM
Ced Gee

I've got an interview of him from about 4 years ago, he's talkin about using the SP1200 to make The Bridge Is Over, the art of sampling and the Substitution break.

Check it out here (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2009/07/ced-gee-of-ultramagnetics-on.html).

http://images.hhv.de/catalog/old_detail/00015/15807.jpg (http://images.hhv.de/catalog/old_detail/00015/15807.jpg)

P-Noid Brown
01-13-2010, 02:40 PM
blockhead, aesop rock, mighty mi, j-zone, rza, true master... soo many to name!

RIINě
01-13-2010, 02:42 PM
www.SOUNDKLIKK.com/TAKASHIMIIKE (http://www.soundclick.com/takashimiike/)

claaa7
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
RZA in the mid-'90s took the production game to whole new levels of creativity, and still to this day the man has produced around 20 full albums - more or less all of them featuring an exclusive style modified for the artist or vibe he's working on. i wish he started using the sampler more again but he can still lace incredible joints as the "Afro Samurai" soundtracks and "8 Diagrams" proved.

Prince Paul is also one of the most creative producers i know of, from the way he flipped mad samples per song on the early De La Soul shit to how he just went mad grimy and hardcore for the Gravediggaz LP. getting tired of the traditional hip-hop album he gave us the instrumental "Psychoanalysis" followed up by the incredible 'plays-like-a-flick' LP "Prince Amongst Thieves". and last year he gave the world the first children story in the form of a hip-hop album - wow!

LORD NOSE
01-13-2010, 03:48 PM
I've got an interview of him from about 4 years ago, he's talkin about using the SP1200 to make The Bridge Is Over, the art of sampling and the Substitution break.

Check it out here (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2009/07/ced-gee-of-ultramagnetics-on.html).

http://images.hhv.de/catalog/old_detail/00015/15807.jpg (http://images.hhv.de/catalog/old_detail/00015/15807.jpg)

lol - got dam - how could i forget about Ced

pioneer allot of this shit

and that's Trev in that Pic - not Moe

^danger mouse?

Er..}:|

you must not have heard the 2 Gnarls Barkley albums

Pattch82
01-13-2010, 04:28 PM
Madlib & Oh No are running shit at the minute IMO.

And their levels of output is CRAAAZY!!! Dudes must never stop!

Oh, and Dilla... just because Ruff Draft is one of my ALL TIME PERSONAL FAVOURITES!!! Absolute classic!

Peace!

Tommy
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
Redman is also a really talented producer, he worked a lot of shit on his albums with Erick Sermon.

You could make a case about Havoc being in there as well, but it depends what you mean by "creative".

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-13-2010, 05:15 PM
i was gonna mention Hav or the fact that the samples he used to use were some obscure shit ive ever heard. he use fucking anything and just make it work.

Dr Sleepwalker
01-13-2010, 05:24 PM
El-P, Blockhead, Rj-D2, and Dj Muggs

Poetic Wun
01-13-2010, 05:33 PM
hell yeah^ rjd2
madlib
aesop

my fav gotta be dan the automator

Guarded By Martyrs
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
4th Disciple

Good call.

90's RZA

I'd just say RZA, to say his recent works aren't creative is absurd.

...Stoupe The Enemy Of Mankind & Blue Sky Black Death.

main_man
01-13-2010, 05:35 PM
i wont mention the classic producers from the 90's (rza-premier-muggs.......damn, i just did.)

but a couple that come to mind in the 2k era are:

El-P- he aint for everybody, thats for sure. but damn, this dude is on some other shit. and when an el-p beat is hard, that shit is HARD.

J-Zone- this cat can take the most obscure sample and make a tight ass beat out of it. and has a mad sense of humor too.

and a cat whos kinda unknown but dope
Willie Evans Jr.- hes made beats for a couple underground cats (mr. lif for one). but check out his solo album "communication", hes one to watch. and hes a good mc too, with a monotone flow kinda like DOOM.

DrBold241
01-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Madlib..... he's primarily THE loopdigga but i personally do enjoy Yesterday's Universe/New Quintet.

other than madlib....
Dangermouse.

Dangermouse is hands down the most creative producer of the new millennium. (not including Madlib, anyways)
Grey Album, Gnarls Barkley, Modern Guilt (Beck), Dark Night of The Soul

theDZA
01-14-2010, 06:16 AM
currently: Madlib

of all time: RZA

CHRONZ
01-14-2010, 06:53 AM
Nicolay & Young RJ

J-DON
01-15-2010, 06:29 PM
Timbaland

spiggity_ace
01-15-2010, 08:31 PM
ima say rza of course, if u dont say rza u suck
bronze got some innovative stuff, as well as the other elements 4th definitely and a lot of tru masters shit, pimp c is real creative shit is just real sick
organized noize made some innovative shit
dr dre of course
imsa say ant banks
marley marl
madlib
mf doom
but i gotta say the 3rd most whos made a lot of innovative shit is prince paul

o yea shoulda mentined stoupe, he got a big rza influence tho and muggs as well

THE MASON
01-15-2010, 09:07 PM
hell yeah^ rjd2
madlib
aesop

my fav gotta be dan the automator

cosgin automator, one of the most underated imo. Deltron 3030 and Dr.Octagon have some of the dopest beats i ever heard.

Madlib and Dilla were the first that came to mind when i saw this thread. i would say the Beatnuts had a pretty creative sound, i can always tell a Beatnuts track when one comes on.

Tecknowledgist
01-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I6s5xhcBiDw

Nasty Nash
01-15-2010, 11:37 PM
I know this is off-topic, but I like the remix of the argument between ghost and mef, nice job Lacey.
On topic: I think the most creative producers are the ones who have their own distinct sound can make it listenable and enjoyable. MF Doom defined his own sound with special herbs series.

RynMur
01-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Some of my Favorites...Rick Rubin, DJ Muggs, J Dilla, Blue Sky Black Death, Prince Paul, MF Doom, RJD2, Madlib, El-P, The Bomb Squad, Dan the Automator, Marley Marl, RZA, Premo, Pete Rock, Danger Mouse (The Grey Album was amazing), 4th Disciple, True Master, The Alchemist, Ant, Ayatollah, Large Professor, 9th Wonder, will.i.am (hate it or love it), Da Beatminerz, Organized Noize, Kanye West, Havoc, AmpLive

How did I forget my fav producer at the moment: Kno

claaa7
01-16-2010, 05:31 AM
Redman is also a really talented producer, he worked a lot of shit on his albums with Erick Sermon.

word, Redman isn't too recognized for his production skills but i know alotta times i've been suprised cuz his tracks are slaying Sermon's shit.

yonatan15
01-16-2010, 05:45 AM
RZA
Prince Paul
DJ Premier
DJ Muggs
Questlove
Dr.Dre
J Dilla
Pete Rock
Madlib
Kanye West

Afficial_Nastee
01-16-2010, 05:53 AM
Necro....

YungSunny
01-16-2010, 06:19 AM
dilla is def the most creative

12weLvE
01-16-2010, 11:29 AM
Creative...

MAdlib Thats the first person I think about when i read creative producer.
RZA
Rdj2
MF DOOM ---sometimes... Especially when he did king geeodorah. (NO SNAKES ALIVE!!!)
Rick Rubin
Blue Sky Black Death
Doctor Octogon

just a lot of cats... List can go on.

BTW... Pete Rock, PRimo, Marley and all those who rock the classic hip hop stilo fromt he 90's although dope... I dont consider very creative...