PDA

View Full Version : Is any one using linux

SKAMPOE
01-18-2010, 11:39 PM
i just got it on ma dell n shits dope, better than vista, no antivirus n nuffin can penetrate me no homo lmao

is any one familiar with this, my microsoft webcam wont work on it so thats the only downfall!

SKAMPOE
01-18-2010, 11:41 PM
i meant better than windows-microsoft

EAGLE EYE
01-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Hahaha this is the last operating system "you" in particular should be using. Here is a little back ground info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

90% of the most popular software, drivers, games etc aren't designed for Linux. I hope you like using terminal screens just to install basic shit.

SKAMPOE
01-19-2010, 12:26 AM
hahaha robby i have no i dea wat u just said in ur nerd talk lol

all i know it was set up by ma cuzzoe n the shit is a mirror reflection of his mac

shit is sooo smooth n soo crisp n shit

i had 32 tabs opened

msn

n
and shit was smooth n fast as fuck

Tage
01-19-2010, 10:58 AM
like Robby said; you are the last person who should need to be using Linux. haha

unless you have installed on a partition, i bet you you are going to be fucked off when you realise Windows is better for you, and try to revert back. P.

Poetic Wun
01-19-2010, 11:23 AM
yeah ill give it a few days before you report back how you have no idea what to do with linux.
no offense, just sayin

i have my comp tri booted w/linux and i rarely find a use for it.
if i ever do its only to further any tech knowledge but thats it...

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-19-2010, 11:28 AM
its funny you made this thread because I jus installed Ubuntu 9.10 on my ibm thinkpad.

overall i think it sucks.

it annoys me. yeah it looks really nice, it runs really fast, and is pretty slick, but its a bitch to install anything.
everything is super complicated having to input code on terminal screens just to install themes etc is a pain in hte ass and not something im into

so m first impression were amazing 2nd impression were fuck this

WARPATH
01-19-2010, 11:43 AM
LOL

Microsoft has some of ya'll pussy whipped.

Good choice on trying the Linux Skampoe. I use Linux on all my computers. My advice is to just jump in with both feet. As long is your not fucking with anything you don't know how to fix, you'll have less problems with your Linux then the problems you'll find with microsoft.

Give me the information about your machine I might be able to help you get your webcam working. I'm always up for a challenge. Just add me on messanger, i'll walk you through it. Messanger info on my profile.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-19-2010, 11:57 AM
\fuck that dont get me wrong i was INTO going HARD with the linux shit, I wanted to like it and there was ALOT to like, and considering im on a low powered laptop Linux was perfect, and it looked great

but at the end of the day

I hope you like using terminal screens just to install basic shit.

^^

its just no good for the average user, no matter how pretty they make it look

when you been using Windows since 1997 (since i was like 11 years old), its not easy to change like that to something completely different

which i gay because I like it better than Window as an OS, but I cant be fucked with fucking around with it. so im sticking with windows unfortunately.

Poetic Wun
01-19-2010, 12:02 PM
tech talk on wucorp... my brain hurts

WARPATH
01-19-2010, 12:10 PM
\fuck that dont get me wrong i was INTO going HARD with the linux shit, I wanted to like it and there was ALOT to like, and considering im on a low powered laptop Linux was perfect, and it looked great

but at the end of the day

^^

its just no good for the average user, no matter how pretty they make it look

when you been using Windows since 1997 (since i was like 11 years old), its not easy to change like that to something completely different

which i gay because I like it better than Window as an OS, but I cant be fucked with fucking around with it. so im sticking with windows unfortunately.

Ubuntu 9.10 has a software center that installs everything for you automatically.

Now for extra software that's not listed in the software center....that's going to take you a google search and maybe 5 minutes of reading. The commands are almost always already laid out for you all you have to do is copy and paste. There's almost always some one out there that has the same question you have about certain software or hardware problems.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-19-2010, 12:16 PM
yeah i know, but fuck that lol. i got sick of doing that just to install a new theme or something.

and also i wanted to install firefox 3.6 release candidate, i had no idea what to do. there was no "setup" file in the download, just a stupid archive that i couldnt do anything with without half hour searching online for terminal instructions.

anyway it was all way to complicated than it needed to be so i cant see why i shouldnt just carry on with windows even if it is slightly slower and more virus friendly.

grt05
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Windows 7 is all you need.

SKAMPOE
01-19-2010, 05:49 PM
peace to war path for showing me how it werks n shit, linux>all else

SKAMPOE
01-19-2010, 07:31 PM
yo war path, i finally fixed the EMPATHY messenger...not that theres was nuffin wrong with it, i thought by clicking the lil envelope log the shit would sign in automaticly but no i have to manually put it on AVAILABLE lol but shit werks like a charm...sept ma fuckin webcam, no luck with that yet.. peace n thanx again!

Dumb & Dumber
01-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I've been on Linux for 7 years. What you need ta know.

I ride fluxbox + arch linux

EAGLE EYE
01-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Sounds like most of you are using the "User Friendly" distributions. Keep in mind that its open source and an entire community of developers have made over 100 different distros over the years.

It wasn't until recently that the Linux community worked towards a common goal of adding stuff like GUI interfaces, preloaded common drivers and installers for software so consumers would give it a try.

Otherwise you would be looking at nothing but a black screen and a prompt. Thats what I looked @ for 3 years straight during labs in college. If you do anything on an enterprise level, that's what you will be using.

Dumb & Dumber
01-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Sounds like most of you are using the "User Friendly" distributions. Keep in mind that its open source and an entire community of developers have made over 100 different distros over the years.

It wasn't until recently that the Linux community worked towards a common goal of adding stuff like GUI interfaces, preloaded common drivers and installers for software so consumers would give it a try.

Otherwise you would be looking at nothing but a black screen and a prompt. Thats what I looked @ for 3 years straight during labs in college. If you do anything on an enterprise level, that's what you will be using.
This.

SSH is fun and exciting too styll I think because it's real interaction, unlike ad-hoc boring gui click and drag work like on Windoze.

If you're a programmer, I recommend you get the fuck out of Gnome, KDE and familiarize yourself with Fluxbox. This is the ultimate Linux experience, imho, because the entire desktop environment is fully customizable in every which way and typically you're coerced into taking advantage of terminal more where its convenient (which gradually becomes more and more).

Overall, today if you want to know Linux, embrace having to learn how to interact with the terminal. It may seem scary, but it'll be your best friend. It's like the difference between driving auto and manual.

SKAMPOE
01-21-2010, 12:19 AM
good reads...sanx

EAGLE EYE
01-21-2010, 01:26 AM
Although I'm happy with OSX 10.6 on this macbook pro

I have my terminal, its stable & UNIX based + photoshop rarely ever crashes. All this and more for only $1700 (not including the $350 apple care plan)

SKAMPOE
01-21-2010, 01:33 AM
yea i hear that apple care plan is heavenly

EAGLE EYE
01-21-2010, 01:46 AM
yea sponge baths and a quick fruit salad toss! Then they send you out the door with an expresso shotta up ya foxhole

SKAMPOE
02-05-2010, 12:07 AM
any one know where i can find my sounds speaker settings on linux.... a lil while ago i was prompted to download updates, i did as usual and it asked me to restart, i did and now i have no sounds.... HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP

SKAMPOE
02-05-2010, 12:48 AM
thanx gays but i solved the problem with my nerdy intellect...hmmmkaythanxbye