PDA

View Full Version : gang starr - the ownerz... this shit melted scalps and ear wax!!!!!!!!

angry!
01-20-2010, 10:43 AM
gang starrs last official album was fuckin bangin!!!!!! if yall aint up on the history of the group, we were lucky to get moment of truth, and even luckier getting the ownerz!!!!!!

preem and guru were drifting apart before moment of truth dropped, guru was lookin at time and preem was lookin to move on and work with other talent!!!!!

things shook out and they got back together to make a classic!!!!! a lot of niggas thought moment of truth was their swan song, then they dropped a little album called the ownerz!!!!!!!

preem bodied the entire album, and guru was still dropping science with backing from the gang starr foundation!!!!!! i remember there being some negative feedback when this dropped.... it puzzled me then and it puzzles me now!!!!! beats, rhymes, and truth!!!!!

jCHk-MzNvgM

BPpNdc-va2g

Nzi9nNS9VIo

xyLtGA0YtJA

its a real shame guru is busy rejecting his legacy fuckin with solar when preem is more than willing to get back in the lab again!!!!! id check for a new gang starr album 10 years from now if it dropped, guru and preem are timeless talents!!!!!!

the gang starr catalogue is bulletproof!!!!!!!!

5hundred&one
01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
word, there ain't a gang starr album I ain't feelin. the best cuts on this album stand up to the best spots on moment of truth. jadakiss killed that rite where u stand shit too, I remember bein like damn the first time I heard it, like he really shined on a premier beat with guru on it, that ain't easy.

skillz is nice too.

Jin10304
01-20-2010, 11:26 AM
I loved Let the Games Begin, but Ownerz doesnt really stack up to thier other classics.

claaa7
01-20-2010, 11:30 AM
it's a banging album imo, production is crazy all the way through - so many ill tracks on here. as Jin said above me it doesn't quite stack up to "Hard to Earn", "Daily Operation" and "Moment of Truth" but on the other hand it ain't too far away neither. Guru had some real nice lyrics on here but i felt his delivery felt a little tired and unispired on alot of these tracks.

the guest spots were nothing but great and perfectly spread out through the LP; Jadakiss, MOP, Fat Joe, Bumpy Knuckles, Snoop Dogg, NYGz, Smiley, etc. three crazy posse cuts on here too - "Who Got Gunz!!", "The Militia Pt. III" and "Same Team, No Games". a well-rounded album that let Gang Starr leave the game with grace, but i would of course love a re-union as well. one of the illest and most consistent rap groups ever.

angry!
01-20-2010, 11:47 AM
it doesnt stack up to their previous releases which were all CLASSICS!!!!!!

maybe thats why the ownerz caught some flack when it dropped, niggas have a hard time coming to grips with the fact hard to earn was made when VHS and cassettes dominated the shelf!!!!!!!

times change man, how many artists pump out heat 20 years deep in the game!?!?!?! respect the longevity, niggas kill themselves with expectations!!!!!

kobes dropped 81, doesnt mean im not impressed when he drops 50!!!!!!

guru is still nice and preem is still preem, if they ever get some communication going i have no doubts they got another banger in them!!!!!!

fatboybrandon
01-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah, that album is a good part of the Gangstarr legacy, a good way to finish it if they don't ever reconcile and make another album. Aside from the dope beats, scratch choruses, and concepts, my favorite part is Premo yellin at the top of his lungs on one of the song's intros. Rememba dat?

i remember there being some negative feedback when this dropped.... it puzzled me then and it puzzles me now!!!!! beats, rhymes, and truth!!!!!

This album doesn't deserve negative feedback, I don't know whats up wit that. When I think about the Gangstarr catalogue as a whole, this album is definitely outstanding but not on a level of absolute sickness as their past 4, maybe it's just me. The Ownerz is banging with a matured Gangstarr sound, but SITA alone is crazy to me let alone the other three (DO, HTE and MOT), addictive and memorable on a level today's artists, and many golden era artists couldn't begin to dream of. Maybe this is how other reviewers might have felt when hearing The Ownerz, I remember this was a time I kinda stopped reading reviews for hip hop albums though.

11th Chamber
01-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Nzi9nNS9VIo

track is still a classic

Jada fuckin went in on that

MaskedAvenger
01-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Dope album, not as good as MOT or their earlier albums but still a ill album.

Kenny Powers
01-20-2010, 11:33 PM
MOT is way better. But ownerz is still solid. I need a new gang starr album in my life

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 11:05 AM
LOL@DJ Premier skit on The Ownerz when he said you call that shit on the radio hip hop. That's some faggot bitch shit ya'll are listening to hahahahahahahahahahahaha. You fucking robots LOL. Fuck ya'll LOL.

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 11:15 AM
I didn't like The Ownerz that much. Daily Operation, Hard To Earn, Moment Of Truth albums are better. Is their first album any good? I never heard it. Step In The Arena album i haven't heard in awhile but i remember not liking it that much. I like their greatest hits double cd called Full Clip. The ? Remains song on there is the shit. I love that beat. I also like Full Clip, Discipline, So Wassup, Gotta Get Over(this song is on Trespass soundtrack also)songs. Ya'll should get their videos dvd if you don't have it. Dwyck classic video is on there. I love that video because it was filmed at the beach in Atlantic City with cute girls. LOL@Nice And Smooth's dance steps in the video hahahahahahahahaha. Guru does need to stop bullshitting around and get back with Premier for another Gang Starr album.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
i thought this was the best joint

Z4VD8IhHmX4

guru was on fire on tracks like Skillz, but i wouldda liked this album to of been more of a collabbo venture with other mc's + Guru. Guru gets tiresome for me over this whole album.

fatboybrandon
01-23-2010, 11:50 AM
I remember this b-Side song from The Ownerz, it's one of my favorite songs of the entire Gangstarr catalog, in rotation on my iPhone still today. It's a crazy, dark banger from Premier. They were always good about putting some unreleased heat on some of their singles

Gangstarr - The Natural (http://www.rhapsody.com/gang-starr/mass-appeal-the-best-of-gang-starr-explicit/natural-explicit/lyrics.html) (b-side of Skills)

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/f1ce8933e3cdccd7e82e89e09046ecfe/240749.jpg

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't think i've heard The Natural.

claaa7
01-23-2010, 12:15 PM
yeah "The Natural" was real ill and there was also another B-side or soundtrack joint released at the same time called "Tha Squeeze" that was dope as hell too.

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 12:43 PM
Is The Squeeze and The Natural songs on Full Clip greatest hits double cd? I'm gonna have to look at that cd again to see if those songs are on there.

angry!
03-01-2010, 07:33 AM
MORnzPhZH5A

At times I feel like my back's against the wall
And if y'all ain't with me, then it's me against y'all
I stand my ground, that's what I was taught
While others stand around, I hold it down like a fort
In the midst of war, I find peace within
Run, lock your doors, don't let the beast get in
The mind is a terrible thing to waste
I show love cause it's a terrible thing to hate
Of course I want money, but I won't compromise
Y'all don't realize, think I won't bomb you guys?
With the truth nigga, stop misleadin the youth nigga
Too many wakes and funerals, that's the proof nigga
Our hood's in danger, kids need guidance
You keep lyin, still the young keep dyin
As I walk through the valley I fear none, yes I'm the chairman
Here with my nigga Premier son
And we came to change the game
We represent the pain that's real talk, what's y'all claim to fame?
Rappers simply tracin flows and chasin hoes
Frontin mad hard, that shit's amazin yo
Producers makin Tinkerbell beats for them to rhyme on
Their ass if they get on the same stage that I'm on
Our shit be rugged, like the New York streets
Make the wrong move stupid then you lose your seat
Cats be buyin up SoundScans to beef up sales
Niggaz wanna crossover, wanna be upscale
Fuck that, that ain't hip-hop, that's somethin else
You're better off back on the ave doin somethin else
All you suckers claimin that you are, thug or gangsta
You disrespect the game by dry-snitchin you prankster
I thank y'all for makin more room for us, uhh
Ashes to dust you wonder who's to trust
My sense of self, and my mental health
is much more powerful, than any hint of wealth
A lot of niggaz get cash, and collect Mercedes
But neglect their ladies, and forget their babies
Then the chicks turn and act like dudes
Cause they reflect our light, so yo act right fool
And this is just a piece of my mind, a thesis of mine
I'ma make moves and I'ma leave you behind
At times I feel like my back's against the wall
And if y'all ain't with me, then it's me against y'all
I stand my ground, that's what I was taught
While others stand around, I hold it down like a fort
In the midst of war, I find peace within
Run, lock your doors, don't let the beast get in
The mind is a terrible thing to waste
I show love cause it's a terrible thing to hate

im banging this album right now thinking bout guru... legend in the game, master of the slow flow, one of the wisest emcees of all time... his verses always been laced with science!!!!

"the mind is a terrible thing to waste
i show love cause its a terrible thing to hate"

every verse is intensified right now, hope the big homie can pull through!!!!! bang some gang starr today, pull out that hard to earn, that step into the arena, and spin it back for the g!!!!!!

sickdog
03-01-2010, 08:01 AM
iam not feelin this album, not feelin most of the beats and guests. then i listen to it i dont have any emotions, just some play on background music.

beeboy
03-01-2010, 09:00 AM
in this life.....the song is so awesome

MaskedAvenger
03-01-2010, 09:05 AM
This is album is good but Moment Of Truth is flawless

Tommy
03-02-2010, 04:58 PM
People need to stop saying, "it's good... BUT blah blah is better". The Ownerz is a fucking banger straight through, Guru and Premier showed their maturation on this album from their 80s beginnings all the way to 2003; out of all the Gang Starr albums this is probably the one I bumped the least and I'm not sure why, i've just put it on again and realised how nice it is. Let's just hope it ain't the last we hear from the two as a duo.

theheavens
03-02-2010, 07:30 PM
the only golden age group that survived the 21st century. best duo ever. Guru is underrated as hell. and Premier gets more than enough praise

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
03-02-2010, 07:54 PM
for me my 3 fav Gangstar lps are as follow

Hard to Earn
Momment of Truth
The Ownerz

RAW-TASTE
03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
agreed. 'moment of truth' and 'hard to earn' is better for me, but this is a classic too....fuck it almost everything of gangstar is classic except for 'no more mr. nice guy'

MicsLikeTedKoppel
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
anybody sleeping on this album is prolly mad cuz guru didnt give 'em shout out on the outro. still bumpin this shit on the reg.

crds
03-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Is The Squeeze and The Natural songs on Full Clip greatest hits double cd? I'm gonna have to look at that cd again to see if those songs are on there.

Nope, (Full Clip is a must have if you ask me) but they are on this compilation I did a few years ago

2007-CRDS Presents-The Remixes, The B-Sides and The Rest...

Part 1
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QFNM8LP7

Part 2
Code:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IJDUNV5S

1. flip the script (minor adjustment remix)-produced by dj premier-(1992)
2. bust a move boy-produced by the 45 king-(1987)
3. positivity (remix)-produced by dj premier-(1989)
4. ex girl to next girl(remix)-produced by dj premier-(1992)
5. check the technique (remix)-produced by dj premier-(1991)
6. so wassup-produced by dj premier-(1997)
7. natural-produced by dj premier-(2002)
8. all 4 the cash-produced by dj premier-(1999)
9. the squeeze-produced by dj premier-(2001)
10.battle-produced by dj premier-(2002)
11.credit is due-produced by dj premier-(1991)
12. jazz thing (movie mix)-produced by dj premier-(1990)
13. gotta get over (large pro remix)- (radio)-(1992)
14. here's the proof-produced by dj premier & guru-(1989)
15. believe dat-produced by dj 1 2 b down and guru-(1987)
16. no more mr nice guy (remix)-produced by dj premier-(1989)
17. the question remainz-produced by dj premier-1994
18. the militia (pete rock remix)-(1998)
19. it's a jazz thing (video mix)-produced by dj premier-(1990)
20. 2 deep (may we get a bit deeper remix)-produced by dodge & ig culture-(1992)

I was listening to The Ownerz the other day and enjoyed it, it's not a classic Gang Starr album, but it's definitely worth owning, the only thing I don't like on the album is how bad the sound is on "Capture (Militia Pt. 3) (feat. Big Shug & Freddie Foxxx).

zooruka
03-03-2010, 01:16 AM
never liked guru`s voice= never liked gang starr !!!!!

peace be with you !

angry!
03-03-2010, 08:26 AM
for real prof!?!!?!

guru got one of the illest voices ever in my opinion!!!!!!!!!!!

GD8hhNtxPgs
g knows the deal, it starts with the voice!!!!!!!!

NHnNx01L9ts
the ownerz was incredible.. "im tired of you faggots throwing dirt on my name".. g came real aggressive on a lot of joints, he straight blazes the militia 3!!!!!!!!

gangstarrs timeless, 80's, 90's, 2000, 2020, ever fresh!!!!!!!!!!!

theheavens
03-03-2010, 12:00 PM

peace be with you !

then you're missing out, because they're one of the best hip-hop acts ever

crds
03-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Actually, The Ownerz hasn't left my headphones for the past few days and I loved that Guru uses the line "Producers makin Tinkerbell beats for them to rhyme on" (looks like he had a premonition on the wackness that is Solar)

JASPER BEARDLY
04-24-2012, 08:54 PM
Bump for the god guru

Dope lp

If u say otherwise fuck u

THE MASON
04-24-2012, 08:58 PM
^that about sums it up

kingwu
04-24-2012, 10:40 PM
that riot akt joint is crazy

GZAjector
04-24-2012, 11:43 PM

peace be with you !ahahhaa whatever happened to this pussy

i think this faggot got his anus raptured or something

anyways, this shit is classick as fuck

damn near the whole gangstarr catalog is that of god