PDA

View Full Version : I just realized I know nothing about...

Kenny Powers
01-21-2010, 12:27 AM
current hip hop.

I dont know Gucci Mane, Drake, Kid Cudi, this whole Young Money thing, Plies, and Wale. I have no idea who any of these rappers are or why they are the only thing being played. These guys seem to be the current voices of hip hop but I cannot name a single song by any of them.

Am I the only one who is completely out of touch with modern day rap?

whitey
01-21-2010, 01:30 AM
i hear all of that stuff all the time because i listen to shade 45 and hip hop nation 95% of the time in my car on the XM. they play a decent amount of that stuff. im not a fan for the most part. although i do enjoy some of kudi and wales stuff. not really a fan of gucci but i heard lemonade the other day and daaamn that shit is fire.

H6Q4s_ZdvAQ

TSA
01-21-2010, 02:17 AM
dude that's the WORSt song on his album by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

FDTnn0X2KRM
come on man

but i dont really keep up with new hip hop, just the bangers i guess, but idk anything about wale and kid cudi and shit. at the same time im not 17 anymore and it's ok cause these naija niggas are droppin shit like this

mROk2CfMjhg
for no reason

Edgar Erebus
01-21-2010, 05:02 AM
Strange that you know nothing about Wale, since the dude is Nigerian.

whitey
01-21-2010, 09:34 AM
dude that's the WORSt song on his album by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

FDTnn0X2KRM
come on man

but i dont really keep up with new hip hop, just the bangers i guess, but idk anything about wale and kid cudi and shit. at the same time im not 17 anymore and it's ok cause these naija niggas are droppin shit like this

mROk2CfMjhg
for no reason

ha not a chance youngin. that cd is chalk full of garbage. but that track is not one of them. thats on some its so bad its good shit.

Mai Wang Tu Phat
01-21-2010, 09:36 AM
There's been a couple of things I liked by Drake, I hate everything else by him though.

Frank Sobotka
01-21-2010, 09:43 AM
Wale mainstream?
Didn't he only sell like 20k?

whitey
01-21-2010, 09:48 AM
Wale mainstream?

hit song with lady gaga...

MaskedAvenger
01-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Im in the same boat, I know fuck all about these new cats

Poetic Wun
01-21-2010, 01:32 PM
^me too.... although i'd rather keep it that way.

i heard a few joints by all them n cudi is the only cat i can dig at time.
the rest can take a bullet to the face.

Frank Sobotka
01-21-2010, 02:19 PM
hit song with lady gaga...

it barely charted in the us..

I see it's a hit in the uk tho

And I have heard it once on dutch radio/tv, I've heard robot more =/

fatboybrandon
01-21-2010, 02:53 PM
Wale mainstream?

I think many people use the term mainstream when describing him and some artist's "sound" rather than actual sales, because they come with that cleaner, more radio friendly sound. He's done some songs with Pharrell & 9th Wonder that sound good to me

I don't know too much about many current artists in that particular crop of people Kenny mentioned, no where near as much as I feel I should know, like artists who have more depth and classic material to them besides just cranking out a party song that is here one day, gone the next. Our legendary, classic artists have deep music that made you want to read the liner notes of an album.

Some songs I hear and collect because I like the sound of it, but not much else is left as far as the artist's expression of other aspects of life, intellect, groundbreaking talent or other inspirational qualities classics albums are made from.

To a degree, I like some songs designed for party that those artists make, but I'm the type who needs something to really absorb also, sort of like the difference btwn reading a book and skimming through the weekly newspaper or gossip tabloid. I guess if there's not much to an artist's music besides a weak trend, then it comes and goes especially in this age of fast music release. That's basically how I treat alot of that music.

Crack Killz
01-21-2010, 02:58 PM
V1082UJ3ls

Twiztid-Wutang
01-22-2010, 10:37 AM
current hip hop.

I dont know Gucci Mane, Drake, Kid Cudi, this whole Young Money thing, Plies, and Wale. I have no idea who any of these rappers are or why they are the only thing being played. These guys seem to be the current voices of hip hop but I cannot name a single song by any of them.

Am I the only one who is completely out of touch with modern day rap?

Dude, Trust me, Modern hip hop aint SHIT, ItS A SAD sad state man. LISTEN TO prior to the past 5 years hip hop, and your good

Kenny Powers
01-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah Its a little sad to me that the hottest hip hop artists out now are garbage and dont know how to represent. If CL2 was a little more radio friendly, I think Rae woulda blown up. Maybe this is where a Detox album could bridge the gap if its good.

Why cant a new artist come out and spit some real lyrics that will grab people attention in the right way? Lupe maybe did it

Frank Sobotka
01-22-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah Its a little sad to me that the hottest hip hop artists out now are garbage and dont know how to represent. If CL2 was a little more radio friendly, I think Rae woulda blown up. Maybe this is where a Detox album could bridge the gap if its good.

Why cant a new artist come out and spit some real lyrics that will grab people attention in the right way? Lupe maybe did it
did you listen to wale's album?

whitey
01-22-2010, 04:36 PM

no chance. the kids only want the next hot thing.

whens the last time an old artist that hasnt been mainstream, but was an old school legend, just blew up?

Frank Sobotka
01-22-2010, 05:35 PM
no chance. the kids only want the next hot thing.

whens the last time an old artist that hasnt been mainstream, but was an old school legend, just blew up?Kids don't want anything they just listen to whatever is popular because they are only starting to develop an intrest in music and only know what's on the radio.

Kenny Powers
01-22-2010, 07:41 PM
did you listen to wale's album?

of course not, i am saying how I know nothing about these new kids. Why?

Frank Sobotka
01-22-2010, 07:48 PM
of course not, i am saying how I know nothing about these new kids. Why?It was pretty dope IMO you should atleast check him out.
The tracks with Bun B & K'Naan are dope as fuck

But it's still alternative hiphop so you might not like

whitey
01-22-2010, 08:03 PM
wale is decent, the new album was a bit disappointing to me.

but that seinfeld themed mixtape about nothing was pretty good. funny clips from the show spliced throughout the shit too.

KBOS
01-23-2010, 02:31 AM
whens the last time an old artist that hasnt been mainstream, but was an old school legend, just blew up?

damn thats actually a good question...

the closest thing i could think of is cee-lo because he reinvented himself with gnarls barkley.

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 11:52 AM
Kenny Powers, you should be glad that you know nothing about these new rappers because they suck hahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Keep listening to your old rap cd's like i do and that's all you need LOL. Fuck these faggot ass wack new rappers who think they got skills. LOL@Poetic Wun saying these new rappers can take a bullet to the face hahahahahahaha.

Kenny Powers
01-23-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah i'll still bump old rap for sure. But it would just be healthy to hear some new shit. I'll peep wale cause based on this thread it seems like hes the only one worth a listen.

Good point about the old rappers coming mainstream. Busta Rhymes maybe?