PDA

View Full Version : why the fuck did people hate on Busta's "The Big Bang"??

claaa7
01-22-2010, 10:50 AM
i just dusted off this record for the first time in probably a year and this shit is nothing but straight fire. it have to be one of the, if not thee, illest albums of 2006 and still i remember this got alot of weak reviews when it dropped altho i always liked it from day 1. seriously Busta murders these joints, i admit he stepped out of his comfort zone which might have scared some peeps away, but how can you hate when he just kills tracks wether going in on the psychotic party vibe with tracks like "Touch It" and "How We Do It Over Here" or talk on some real shit on the incredible Stevie Wondered featured "Been Through The Storm" and the Sermon/Dre/Raekwon blessed "Goldmine".

the real jewel here lies within the production though, Dre definitely mastered the production and overseeing the whole LP making sure it has his trademark "big" sound with the large drums and ill keys but without for a second losing the New York vibe that oozes off the tracks. throw in J Dilla, DJ Scratch, Erick Sermon, Mr. Porter, Timbaland and Swizz Beats and you know you got something dope for Buss to rhyme over.

this shit was pretty much like the East Coast equivalent to The Game's "The Documentary" imo.

Martial-Expert
01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
it still remains a mystery why it got bad reviews, its was pretty good and the beats were fucking fire...some of the best tracks

Get you some
been through the storm
you cant hold the torch
goldmine (would of been great on cbl2)

and the legend of the falls has a real heart beat and the sound of a shovel throughout
i must say "i love my bitch" wasnt great and i didnt like "Get Down"

angry!
01-22-2010, 11:07 AM
i dont know homie, shit was crack though!!!!!!

some niggas thought busta got too serious with it, he cut the dreds and cut back on the goofy and maybe some felt they were getting less busta than they were paying for!!!!!!

i loved it though!!!! it couldve been even better if some of the cut tracks made it, like that hi-tek cut with nas, the odb cut, and the eminem and storch cut!!!!!!

the intro was banging, dres keys were fuckin incredible on this album, he brought something entirely different to the table for buss!!!! and the closing cut, legend of the fall offs!?!?!!?!? that beat and concept is genius, dre kept it fresh with that!!!!!!

the q-tip joint, the nas joint, the stevie wonder joint, some NY anthems, album was flames my nigga!!!!!

THE MASON
01-22-2010, 11:09 AM
damn, imma have to go back and listen to this album

i only remember a few tracks being good, one being that joint with Rae. imma spin this when i get back home

Reiko
01-22-2010, 11:28 AM
Big Bang is a dope album, great production and impressive guest list. I got nothin but love for this one.

cap
01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
couldnt agree with threadstarter more. the same question haunted me ever since i copped it on the day it dropped. its my favourite busta album.

Crackhead Bob
01-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Maybe it's because he never changes the overall theme of his albums. He's been screaming there's only five years left since 1995.

Frank Sobotka
01-22-2010, 12:26 PM
its my favourite busta album.
word

claaa7
01-22-2010, 12:38 PM
i loved it though!!!! it couldve been even better if some of the cut tracks made it, like that hi-tek cut with nas, the odb cut, and the eminem and storch cut!!!!!!
!

word on that, i was thinking about including that in my first post.. those joints woulda definitely enhanced the LP imo, despite them leaking early. it's almost a crime he didn't include the ODB track cuz that was just slamming and he should have threw it on out of respect and to honour Dirt's name imo.

Maybe it's because he never changes the overall theme of his albums. He's been screaming there's only five years left since 1995.

wow, you just can't have listened to this album at all.. that whole judgement day shit isn't included on one single track on this whole album. he ran with that theme from '95 to 2000 - the album after that was "The Genesis".

Crackhead Bob
01-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Yea, you're right, I stopped caring about Busta Rhymes in 2000, so I don't care.

claaa7
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
^ check out the album tho, you might be suprised

Frank Sobotka
01-22-2010, 12:55 PM
word on that, i was thinking about including that in my first post.. those joints woulda definitely enhanced the LP imo, despite them leaking early. it's almost a crime he didn't include the ODB track cuz that was just slamming and he should have threw it on out of respect and to honour Dirt's name imo.
Can you hook those up?

GSTYLE
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
i think its because at the time people had been waitin for the album for 4 years, there was a big buzz and expectation was through the roof. Also a lot of people's favourite leaked songs never made the album.

I loved that album, In the ghetto, been thru the storm - 2 classics right there

baby jesus
01-22-2010, 01:26 PM
Its Not Bad But I Was Dissappointed It Was A Little Boring To Me. Highs Werent That High And The Lows Were Low. Just Left Me Bored After A Few Listens. Although The Barrage Of Tracks In A Row In The Middle Of Through The Storm, In The Ghetto, New York Shit, Hold The Torch, Goldmine Made The Album Worth The Buy But As A Whole I Wasnt Feelin It.

I Thought The Coming, When Disaster Strikes, ELE, Anarchy Were All Easily Better.

claaa7
01-22-2010, 03:33 PM
Can you hook those up?

yep, don't got the Eminem featured song tho - haven't heard it in years actually so if anyone got a link plz hook up a link in this thread.

busta_rhymes_-_rough_around_the_edges__ft._nas_.mp3 - 4.39MB (http://www.zshare.net/audio/715554319df9971a/)

busta_rhymes_ft._ol__dirty_bastard-where_s_your_money.mp3 - 5.27MB (http://www.zshare.net/audio/7155554827a67ed4/)

Tommy
01-22-2010, 03:44 PM

Word.

When I picked this up I was slightly dissappointed not to see them on there, but it doesn't deny the fact that this is a fucking good album that rivals The Coming, and When Disaster Strikes. Once again I'm clueless as to why this got bad reviews. At first I wasn't even gonna pick this up because of how badly it got slated, how glad I was that I did buy it.

A lot of ignorant people just like to hate on newer music I guess, if Illmatic came out tomorrow they'd probably give it one listen and dispose it as shit.

flipmode123
01-22-2010, 03:57 PM
A lot of ignorant people just like to hate on newer music I guess..

Agree.

J-DON
01-22-2010, 04:56 PM
It was a pretty good album but at the time Busta Rhymes going all thugged out made it seem like he was pandering to the G-Unit/Aftermath audience and Busta Fans were turned off by that.

looking back, in comparison to BOMBS its a masterpiece.

Suga Duga
01-23-2010, 10:26 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/2qtig4m.jpg

mwhahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 10:57 AM
People hated on The Big Bang because it sucks hahahahahahahahahaha. When Disaster Strikes is his last good album to me. He had a few joints on Anarchy i liked.

THE MASON
01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
thanks for the ODB joint claa7

i been given this a spin since i saw this thread, and i must say after a couple years it is sounding a lot better then when i first heard it.

i dont find a lot of albums are like that for me, but i guess as you get older, you can appreciate different sounds.

i still say busta fucked up not stayin with rampage and lord have mercy. spliff star doesnt make the cut like those 2 did.

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 12:02 PM
Your right that he fucked up not staying with Rampage and Lord Have Mercy. You forgot about Rah Digga too. Who is that other dude that was in the Flipmode Squad? He could rhyme too. He was a young guy and he's darkskin.

Poetic Wun
01-23-2010, 12:09 PM
some niggas thought busta got too serious with it, he cut the dreds and cut back on the goofy and maybe some felt they were getting less busta than they were paying for!!!!!!
boom... at first my reception to the album wasn't great... i trashed it.

later on tho i heard that q-tip joint again and spun the record... shit was a different record. and i have to give it up to busta for makin the change nobody wanted to see.

he is a whole other emcee on this record. i still can't say its my taste but i give respect where its due.
this is one of them tapes i wouldn't turn off but i wouldn't put on.

its definitely not a bad record. thats for sure.

flipmode123
01-23-2010, 02:11 PM
Your right that he fucked up not staying with Rampage and Lord Have Mercy. You forgot about Rah Digga too. Who is that other dude that was in the Flipmode Squad? He could rhyme too. He was a young guy and he's darkskin.

baby sham?
roc marciano?

claaa7
01-23-2010, 02:13 PM
^ probably Jamal

CharlesJones
01-24-2010, 12:09 PM
Thanks Flipmode123. It was Baby Sham who i'm talking about. Claaa7, Jamal was never a part of Flipmode Squad. He just rhymed on a couple of songs with Busta Rhymes.