PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Hacked by Geohotz

Jammin
01-23-2010, 04:21 AM
After 3 years, 2 months and 11 days, the GeoHotz team has finally been able to hack into the PS3. The hack took 5 weeks to complete, but they finally were able to have read/write access to the entire PS3 system memory.

The team was able to hack Hypervisor, also called as the Virtual Machine Monitor (VMM) which provides a virtualized system that makes it possible to run multiple operating system.

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days…thats a pretty secure system

Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.

According to them, the exploit they discovered is not yet patchable, however, being the kind hearts that they are, they will not be revealing the exploit to anyone.

Just goes to show that, no matter how secure a system you build, hackers will always take their time to find exploits in them, no matter if it takes them weeks to do it.

Read more about the PS3 hack here. We will update you when further details become available.

Jammin
01-23-2010, 04:22 AM
http://geohotps3.blogspot.com/2010/01/hello-hypervisor-im-geohot.html

Jammin
01-23-2010, 04:25 AM
http://www.ps3center.net/news/4264/george-hotz-claims-to-have-hacked-the-ps3/

Tage
01-24-2010, 10:03 AM
haha.. thanks. i was just talking about this with someone, but didnt know they finally cracked it.

BRONZBODY
01-24-2010, 11:02 AM
i dont expect this to last long honestly. sony will counter this. im sure the dudes will have a countger for tey counter but so will sony. man i miss my olds 60 gig when i had linux on it....i had no clue how to use linux but i knew enough to put emulators on it.......im sad now

Jammin
01-24-2010, 01:12 PM
Sony Playstation 3 Hacked By Father Of iPhone Jailbreak

Posted on Jan 24, 10 06:08 AM PDT

You may or may not know George Hotz (Geohot), but he’s the father of the iPhone Jailbreak, so if you’re running a jailbroken iPhone, you know who to thank. The PS3 has been around for a good 3 years, and so far it seems that nobody else has managed to hack the console. Geohot took a whole 5 weeks to get the job done. According to his blog, he’s currently got read/write access to the entire system memory and HV level access to the processor. Aside from that, he’s also managed to get hold of dumps of the LV0 and LV1 and the NAND without removing it or using a modchip. It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what else he’s going to do with it. At this point in time, he’s also managed to grab a bunch of function names, which is cool. Have you tried hacking the PS3 before? What was your experience?

Poetic Wun
01-25-2010, 03:34 AM
@Tage, crazy shit haha

damn Geo's the man right now. hv access...

i'd wanna see those dumps... not that i can do shit with them but itd be cool to check em out.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
01-25-2010, 06:32 AM

Posted on Jan 24, 10 06:08 AM PDT

You may or may not know George Hotz (Geohot), but he’s the father of the iPhone Jailbreak, so if you’re running a jailbroken iPhone, you know who to thank. The PS3 has been around for a good 3 years, and so far it seems that nobody else has managed to hack the console. Geohot took a whole 5 weeks to get the job done. According to his blog, he’s currently got read/write access to the entire system memory and HV level access to the processor. Aside from that, he’s also managed to get hold of dumps of the LV0 and LV1 and the NAND without removing it or using a modchip. It’s certainly going to be interesting to see what else he’s going to do with it. At this point in time, he’s also managed to grab a bunch of function names, which is cool. Have you tried hacking the PS3 before? What was your experience?

well i forgot where I read but you can install windows,etc. on your PS3 once it's reformatted and potentially play PC games on it

Jammin
01-26-2010, 12:52 AM
Recently, a hacker claimed he has hacked the PlayStation 3. George Hotz says he pulled it off after five weeks of work with “very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.” Sony is now investigating the PS3 hack allegations.

Sony has told IncGamers that they are checking the reports out about the PS3 hacks.

We are investigating the report and will clarify the situation once we have more information,” said the statement.

George Hotz, the iPhone 2G hacker, claims to have recently gained access to the PS3’s system memory, which could lead to homebrew being introduced to Sony’s system and much worse, piracy.

I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I’ve also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.

3 years, 2 months, 11 days … that’s a pretty secure system.

Expect a PS3 firmware update soon if Sony confirms this, as they won’t want the same outcome which happened to the PSP. Stick with PSLS for all the latest PS3 hardware news as it comes in.

hiphophead909
01-26-2010, 03:32 PM
well i forgot where I read but you can install windows,etc. on your PS3 once it's reformatted and potentially play PC games on it

Never knew about that. im trying to find out as much as i can about playing PC games on the PS3. Left For Dead on PS3 would be Raw.

WARPATH
01-27-2010, 05:59 PM
On the older PS3's that you can install linux on, you can install a windows emulator (WINE) and then try and run Windows PC games that way. My old PS3 was robbed before I ever had a chance to try it.

hiphophead909
01-27-2010, 10:12 PM
On the older PS3's that you can install linux on, you can install a windows emulator (WINE) and then try and run Windows PC games that way. My old PS3 was robbed before I ever had a chance to try it.

good looking out on the info. do you have any information on what i could do if i own the PS3 slim?

EAGLE EYE
01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
this guy is the equivalent of Marc Weber Tobias (worlds best lock picker)

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/magazine/17-06/ff_keymaster

These are the kinda people who keep entire industries on their toes.