PDA

View Full Version : R&B Music Died After The 80's

CharlesJones
01-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Bring back the funk artists so they can show these new boring r&b singers what good party music is.

I miss these artists

Con Funk Shun
Lakeside
Kool And The Gang
Zapp and Roger Troutman
Dazz Band
Slave
The Time
The Gap Band
Midnight Star
Ready For The World
The Isley Brothers(they're still doing albums because their last album was 4 years ago called Baby Makin Music but i didn't like the album that much because it doesn't have a lot of jams like their 70's and 80's albums. Ronald Isley got locked up for tax evasion about 4 years ago. He should be out now because his prison sentence was 3 years.)
Parliament/Funkadelic
The Jacksons
Earth Wind And Fire
The Deele(Babyface and LA Reid should've kept this group together. Babyface's solo albums suck LOL.)
Rick James
Tony Toni Tone(they came out in the late 80's i believe because i think their first album was in 1988 called Who. I never heard that album but i'm gonna check it out. I like their other albums. Raphael Saddiq's solo albums suck LOL. LOL@his clothes on Instant Vintage album cover hahahahaha.)
New Edition(their last album was 6 years ago and it sucked bad. Bell Biv Devoe's last album was 9 years ago and it sucked bad too. I wish Bobby Brown hadn't stopped singing. He did a lot of jams on his solo albums and his last album Forever got slept on. That's a tight album.)
Cameo
Raydio(Ray Parker Jr used to be with them. My dad has his greatest hits album and it's tight. Remember Ghostbusters song? LOL.)

I've always hated r&b singers having more love songs than jams on their albums. If i was a r&b singer, i would have only jams on my albums because i love jams/dance music. That's why i love 70's disco jams and 80's jams so much. The music back then was better than this bullshit that they call r&b today LOL. So many r&b singers out now are so boring. I gotta give my boy Alcatraz props for dissing Alicia Keys hahahahahahaha. She's loved by so many people but her music is boring. Beyonce is my baby and i don't like her music that much but at least she does more jams than Alicia LOL. Single Ladies and Crazy In Love songs by Beyonce are nice jams. I could care less about ya'll Beyonce haters because my baby can continue to shake her ass in her videos and show off that sexy body of her's and i will always love her.

I got a lot of 70's and 80's funk albums from the artists i mentioned up above. I wish that some of the old albums i got by them would get released on cd so people can hear them because they're tough to get since they're outta print but if you have a computer, you can download the albums. Some of the old funk r&b albums i got on cd, i had them downloaded and burned by a friend. Some of these old r&b albums i got, i got them from a record store and Amazon.com. Amazon.com sells a lot of old r&b albums that record stores don't have and their prices are pretty cheap. Only thing i don't like about Amazon.com now is that they changed their payment policy because they used to accept money orders and checks but now they only accept credit cards or Paypal and that's why i haven't done business with them in a long time. Musicstack.com also has a lot of old r&b funk albums on cd and their prices are kinda cheap and they accept money orders and checks.

fatboybrandon
01-26-2010, 09:55 AM
Here's my contribution as promised from the other thread Charles. The "sound" of the groups you listed has definitely passed since the 80's, but I think there are groups worthy of checking who uphold those 80's standards of writing and talent in R&B music in their own way. Like hip hop, it sometimes takes a deeper look past what the mainstream media promotes to find true talent.

HEAVy from Bklyn NY: http://www.myspace.com/whoisheavy they have some stuff that reminds me of R.A.M.P.

Georgia Ann Muldrow - "In Love Again" (http://popup.lala.com/popup/2810527679083708428) has a nice melody and a Jay Dee influence in the production

Erik Rico - Check his cover of Prince's "Ballad Of Dorothy Parker", download it here (http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=4110703&blogId=520718743)

Deborah Jordan feat. Rep Life - Home (http://vodpod.com/watch/2876362-deborah-jordan-ft-replife-home)

Maxwell - Bad Habits (http://vodpod.com/watch/2896236-maxwell-bad-habits)

Lalah Hathaway - check "Bad By Myself" produced by Chuckii Booker here at Rhapsody: http://www.rhapsody.com/lalah-hathaway/tracks.html

Omar - Say Nothin' feat. ODB (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSdLy-l9VhA) he's one of a number of contemporary UK R&B artists doin their thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK0s_OXy5w8

^Those don't sound like the production of 80's groups, but I feel like it's some good contemporary R&B in general. Check em out and see what you think.

CharlesJones
01-26-2010, 10:27 AM
Maxwell and Lalah Hathaway are the only artists i know about from the artists you mentioned and i don't wanna listen to them because they do more love songs than jams. Lalah is Donny Hathaway's daughter if you didn't know that. You know black female singers do more love songs than jams LOL. I don't like a lot of female singers as you should already know. I do like Chaka Khan and i used to like Janet Jackson and that's about it LOL. Aretha Franklin's Freeway Of Love, Jump To It, and Sisters Are Doing It For Themselves are nice jams by her i like. I like Natalie Cole's Jump Start My Heart jam. I like Pebbles Mercedes Boy jam and her love songs Always and Love Make Things Happen duet with Babyface. I like Regina Belle's Show Me love song. I like Angela Winbush's Treat You Right and Angel songs. Treat You Right is a nice jam. Did you know Angela used to be in a group with a black guy named Rene? Their group was called Rene And Angela LOL. They did a couple of albums. I got one of them called A Street Called Desire that has the hits Save Your Love For #1 with Kurtis Blow, I'll Be Good(Foxy Brown sampled this for I'll Be song), You Don't Have To Cry, Your Smile(Junior Mafia sampled this for Backstabbers song). They also did a nice love song on another album called My First Love that r&b singer Avant did and he's from my hometown Cleveland, Ohio. Keke Wyatt also sang on the song with Avant.

En Vogue's first album Born To Sing i like and they have a couple of joints on their Funky Divas album i like. I like Paula Abdul's Straight Up Now Tell Me and Opposites Attract songs. I like Lisa Lisa and Cult Jam's I Wonder If I Take You Home song and i like a few songs by Madonna. So there are some songs i like by female singers as you can see LOL. But you also know that i love jams more than love songs and that's the reason why i don't listen to a lot of r&b singers.

CharlesJones
01-26-2010, 10:31 AM
I like Vanessa Williams Save The Best For Last song. That's a real nice mellow song. I also like Roberta Flack and Peabo Bryson's Tonight I Celebrate My Love song, i like Roberta Flack's Don't Make Me Wait Too Long song, i like Roberta Flack and Donny Hathaway's Back Together Again(Biz Markie sampled this on Spring Again song)jam and i like Roberta and Donny's You Are My Heaven and Where Is The Love songs. I like Patti Austin's Razamatazz song. Roberta Flack also did a nice remake called It Might Be You that was originally sang by a white rock group.

Tommy
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM
I wouldn't say it "died" after the 80s, there's still a lot of good shit to come out in the 1990s. Obviously it'll never be like the 60s or 70s heyday though when you had all those motown artists, soul singers etc.

fatboybrandon
01-26-2010, 04:04 PM
Hey Charles, what's your opinion of D'Angelo's Voodoo? It's an album which dropped 10 years since yesterday that is widely regarded as an R&B/Soul classic.

FgtjSPkuJ-E

dMNyxVku36U

another contemporary R&B gem by D'Influence from the UK - "Magic". I love it, it's got the high-tempo party energy reminiscent of the 80's. They did a cover of MJ's "Rock With You" too. www.myspace.com/dinfluence1

There's some dope 90's R&B out there too, the battle between LaFace & FlyteTime, Soul II Soul, Jody Watley, Karyn White, etc. But I understand what ya mean by that funk of the 80's dyin off. Me personally, I have just learned to accept the evolution although groups of that 80's caliber have been few & far between.

Tommy
01-26-2010, 04:13 PM
I class D'Angelo's Voodoo as a classic.

Bkv1mCrSM0k

Here's a track that featured Meth and Red.

CharlesJones
01-27-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't like D'Angelo but i do like his Brown Sugar song.