PDA

View Full Version : Stankonia was a classic album.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 01:51 PM
Ive been listening to this CD alot recently, I cant believe how much it is slept on these days. Its fucking incredible piece of music, right through. I honestly wouldnt have a problem with anyone saying its the best Outkast album actuall.y

The soundscape here is breathtaking no homo.

I know its too fonky and musically inclined for alot of you homos, but people need to wake up on this shit. You just dont get Hip Hop like this anymore.

MkVGCWJoAXA

THe energy, the lyricl content, the production

Everything is somply ON ANOTHER LEVEL to 97% of al othr hip hop. This album moves hip hop forward. Honestly this album has the potential to ruin all other hip hop for me.

And the range ofthis album was off the scale never before seen. You got shit like toilet tisha, to humble mumble, to gasoloine dreams, to ms jackson to gangsta shit, to Stanklove

and the best hip hop record of the decade B.o.B

On the mic Dre and Bog Boi ooze fucking presence, wit, flow, creativity, and EarthtoneIII production team just get everything so DOPE.

Fuck it, it cant be described, just go back and listen to the CD and surprise yourself.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 01:52 PM
and then it finished on this

BjEG5B5hDAY

yo

the best compliment i can pay this album is that YOU REALLY DO feel like youve just been on another planet called Stankonia for the last 70 mins.

angry!
01-25-2010, 02:04 PM
yeah it was...

this is the joint that put them over the top...

also the breaking point stylistically between andre and big boi!!!!!!

andre seemed uninterested in delivering his words in standard verse format here, he was using a lot of plug ins and effects, singing...

but every verse he spit on this shit shredded me!!!!! his patterns elevated AGAIN, and his delivery was on steroids, his skillset reached unseen heights!!!!!!!!!

big boi held it down, one of the most consistent personalities and emcees in hip hop history, not only a stablizing force... a fuckin monster with the rhymes!!!!!!

rock, funk, soul, rap... stankonia had flavor!!!!!!!!

"we luv deez hoes"... bang that shit on the strip!!!!!!! a lot of highlights, "ms.jackson" hit me like a gram of coke!!!!!!

b-real, big boi, and andre record... forget about it... that shit was flaming!!!!!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Yeah this was the last album where they were still together enough to make a cohesive album as a duo. Its a perfect successor to Aquemini. Big Boi holds the whole thing down to Earth, saving Dre from floating the whole thing into space on some too crazy shit.

When I hear Big Boi on these soundscapes all im thinking is this is the flyest Space Pimp i ever heard ahahaahahhaha

They elevated shit so much on this

When i say classic album, i mean all in music, not just hip hop

This albums shows what hip hop can contribute to the music world. It can draw from Funk, Jazz, Soul all seemlessly, and add the liquid flexibilty of MC'ing over the top!

5hundred&one
01-25-2010, 02:11 PM
word

could never decide which I liked the most out of ATLiens, Aquemini and Stankonia.

I never try to like personally rank those three albums.

that just goes to show you how great they are.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 02:18 PM
Just like The W, this album has a special place in a my heart no homo becuause I bought it when it came out as a teenager and it was being played alot through them years, I connect with it because of that

I think the music you play growing up defines your taste, The W and Stankonia both came out the same year, I still have the same CD's, I just remember doing so much stupid shit with these albums playing in the background, whedda it be bombing your first shottie, up all night on the phone to a bitch, in your walkman while your on the skateboard, house parties, good times generally!!

I feel sorry for kids these days growing up on Slaughterhouse.

angry!
01-25-2010, 02:21 PM
i love their entire catalogue!!!!!!

i thought speakerboxxx was bangin, the love below was fly, throw that on with ya girl....

but from southernplaylistic to stankonia, you could track the development and progression of big and dre each passing album!!!!!!

it finally hit its breaking point, and it was fuckin brilliant!!!!!!!!

when andre showed up rockin a turban on ATLiens, yall should of known where it was going!!!!! big boi still smokin that purp, still rockin those furs, hes a rock!!!!!!

ima bang "gangsta shit" on the ride home... mean as ever!!!!! tip to tip this album was a circus, raw ass jungle music!!!!!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 02:29 PM
I think we can safely say Dre is the only person in a platinum bob weave Raekwon has appeared on stage with!

Just adds flava imo!

But you know Dre used to be one of these mean grillin street niggas though. I heard stories about Dre back in the day used to spend his nights sittin back in his caddy at nights just holdin the heat waiting for shit to pop off, im not lyin! They said Dre used to be one of the darker brothers in the gang, never went anywhere without the heater in his lap.

People wouldnt beleieve that about Dre.

Senator C. Palantine
01-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Album is the shit.

3ks major homo platinum wigs and outfits are also the shit.

I still prefer ATLiens and Aquemini thought.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 02:35 PM
Until about last week, I did too.

Now theyre all dead even.

ALCATRAZ
01-25-2010, 02:38 PM
bump

TAURO
01-25-2010, 02:39 PM
I probably wouldn't limit their uniqueness to just one album but as a whole, looking at their discography they are easily one of the most original groups in hip hop.

11th Chamber
01-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Love this album

vBTubFPiZHk

this was my fuckin shit. Slimm and Dre murked the fuck outta that track

Tommy
01-25-2010, 04:39 PM
I agree with you when you say that this is not only a classic hip hop album, but also a classic music album, up there with rock, funk, soul, jazz, reggae etc. The same goes with Aquemini; a lot of people may have a problem with hip hop artists branching out to other cultures and other genres of music but I welcome it, it just shows how important and beneficial hip hop is to the overall world of music as a whole.

I always love albums that may possibly go over my head at first because it gives me more reason to go back and listen to them a lot more, this happened with all of OutKast's albums, and I feel a lot better knowing I gave them a chance to soak in. I'm still in the process of completely taking in the great experience that is Stankonia and I doubt I'll ever ultimately finish, B.O.B is a fucking feat in itself, what a track.

One of the reasons I love OutKast so much as well is how they've grown through each album, as all the other great music artists have, from The Beatles to Stevie Wonder to The Beach Boys to the Beastie Boys, they all progressed their art forwards from album to album, adding something new to their arsenal each time.

Props for bringing this subject up.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 05:05 PM
^yo good post

This album though, I dont hear any other genre competing with the shit on this album, musically. Theres so much going on, pure expression, literally just dripping out of every millisecond with creativity and NEWness. Big Boi's the man but Andre needs to go down in History as a genius for this shit.

How do you even start to come up with an album like this? They created something totally new out of nothing. Nothing in Hip Hop compares to outkast. Thats me being honest. Their skills are unmatched.

And not once in the album do you hear any raps about how good they are at rapping.

YungSunny
01-25-2010, 05:16 PM
All of outkast's albums are so good to the point you get frustrated trying to pick a favorite.

Though aquemini is and will always be my shit.

KillahBee09
01-25-2010, 05:22 PM
Definetly is a classic album, the 2000's started with a bang when it dropped

B.O.B, So Fresh So Clean, & Ms Jackson are 3 of the best singles of the last decade, hip hop or otherwise, add on Humble Mumble, Spagetti Junction, ? ( this track is fucking mental ), Gasoline Dreams, etc, its easily one of the best hip hop albums of the decade

Outkast where ahead of everybody when they dropped this, and it still sounds fresh today, actually I'd say it sounds better now then it did when it first came out

GhettoGnom
01-25-2010, 05:30 PM
10/15 posts on the first page are hidden... lol

OT; Agreed

I agree with you when you say that this is not only a classic hip hop album, but also a classic music album, up there with rock, funk, soul, jazz, reggae etc. The same goes with Aquemini; a lot of people may have a problem with hip hop artists branching out to other cultures and other genres of music but I welcome it, it just shows how important and beneficial hip hop is to the overall world of music as a whole.
Word, part of the beauty of Hip Hop music is how it can be blend with everything else with ease. Content, sound, lyrical approach etc.etc, I don't think any other musical expression is as "free" as Hip Hop, which by looking at Outkast for instance, becomes evident.

Tito_Para Enfrente
01-25-2010, 06:18 PM
Damn i havent heard this album ,.. But i do want to hear it... Does anyone know if this album is available screwed and chopped... ? I have just heard like the singles ... B.o. B. And ms. Jackson... I dig them songs..

I can just imagine this album.. !

Is this album a must ?

angry!
01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
yeah homie its a must, make sure you cop it it had classic packaging and art!!!!!!

the album covers and images on the disc themself always told a story with outkast, they show the growth.... same thing new twist!!!!!

andre did the CD art, shits funky as hell!!!!!!!

most classics have memorable packaging and cover art, real talk!!!!!!!

BRONZBODY
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
dope album...aquemini is my personal fav....up to stankonia they could do no wrong in my eyes. speakerboxxx/the love below were dope too and i dont count idlewild seeing as its more of a soundtrack

BRONZBODY
01-25-2010, 06:53 PM
All of outkast's albums are so good to the point you get frustrated trying to pick a favorite.

Though aquemini is and will always be my shit.see..even the young god knows whats up!!!!

mamacita....there is something about that joint right there.

Visionz
01-25-2010, 07:12 PM
This was too ahead of its time when it dropped. I love Outkast, always have and always will but this one took literally years before I could fully appreciate it. Its funny this thread came up as I had been listening to it non-stop in the car for weeks on end. The whole record is fuckin brilliant, the production amazing (ok beyond amazing) the lyrics sharper than ever. Dre and Big Boi balance each other perfectly and the creativity in their work is simply unparalleled. I couldn't say enough good things about even if it took me forever to realize it. It's a testament to their own brilliance.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Yeah putting the album on now, really drives it home. Work of genius isnt stretching it.

And that beat on Ms Jackson? I mean come on that shit bangs. (btw if you didnt know that song made in dedication to Erykah Badu;s mother)

On another tip, is it true Andre was the first to popularize wearing football jerseys back on southernplayalistic? I'd always just thought tht shit been around forever.

Visionz
01-25-2010, 07:29 PM
Yeah putting the album on now, really drives it home. Work of genius isnt stretching it.

And that beat on Ms Jackson? I mean come on that shit bangs. (btw if you didnt know that song made in dedication to Erykah Badu;s mother)

On another tip, is it true Andre was the first to popularize wearing football jerseys back on southernplayalistic? I'd always just thought tht shit been around forever.
idk maybe :? You remember the video to Rosa Parks? Dre has always been on some "fuck what you think" :lmao: gotta love it, forget pushin boundaries, he takes a sledgehammer and smashes 'em. The beat on gansta shit makes me yearn for gettin my old system back that got lost in a wreck. Bangs even on my factory shit. Dre's verse on that joint is wild. Red Velvet is another classic I didn't see get mentioned on here.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-25-2010, 07:43 PM
DId anyone else notice that the last part of of Gangsta Boo's verse was clearly ghostwritten, by a man lol?

Hitting strip bars wit the top down, fuck y'all
Groupie you need to be glad you even knew me
Do me and tell all my friends my truly blew me

angry!
01-25-2010, 07:53 PM
landmark record, they turned the knob all the way to the right creatively and blew up doing it!!!!!!!!

thats what outkast is, anti-formula, expect the unexpected!!!!!!!

highlights all over the place!!!!!!

- "gasoline dreams" epic intro track that smashes you over the head with beat switchups, guitar, p funk delivery, and andre sounding likes hes zapped on alien dust on some james brown rap shit!!!!!!

- all time classic single and video with "so fresh, so clean"... sleepy brown and outkast go together like weed and blunts... song is forever fresh!!!!!!!

- "spaghetti junction" back n foth... impossible patterns, big boi spazzed and andre sounded like this couldve been recorded ATLiens era!!!!!

- "b.o.b." one of the most creative songs ever made... andres verse literally shattered my spirit when i first peeped it, and it sounds even more relevant today!!!!!!

- collabo with b-real on "xplosion".... cypress hill + outkast = smoked out space funk!!!!! classic!!!!!!!!

- the "humble mumble" beat breakdown outta nowhere... 3 k crippled it!!!!!!

- "red velvet" is still next level... andre was using plug ins i wasnt hearing niggas kick before stankonia dropped!!!!!!

- outro is some blaxpotation funk shit, NASA space sex!!!!!!!! perfect way to end it, nothin else to say!!!!!!

TrickKnowledge
01-25-2010, 07:57 PM
"Speeches only reaches the ones who already know about it"

That shit was incredible when I first heard it. Felt like they was speaking to me. For some people this music shit is a whole of alot more than just beats and rhymes. Some people look for it for inspiration and motivation. It's soundtracks to their life and OutKast has always done it for me along with the WU.

*Idlewild album is good too.

Visionz
01-25-2010, 08:00 PM
"Speeches only reaches the ones who already know about it"

That shit was incredible when I first heard it. Felt like they was speaking to me. For some people this music shit is a whole of alot more than just beats and rhymes. Some people look for it for inspiration and motivation. It's soundtracks to their life and OutKast has always done it for me along with the WU.

or how about

"Oh hell nah but yet its that too, you can't discrimi-hate cuz you done read a book or two"

baby jesus
01-25-2010, 08:55 PM

Football Jerseys Have Been Popular Before That But I Swear I Think Big Boi Was The First Person To Rock A Throwback Jersey In A Video. In The Black Ice Video He Got The Astros Jersey I Wanted It So Bad. I Seen Something On Tv Once Where He Was At A Store Buying Throwbacks And It Was Before The Throwback Craze.

oDoUoSoKo
01-25-2010, 11:41 PM
ha ha ha ha

KBOS
01-25-2010, 11:57 PM
yo word - smoke a fat blunt and listen to stankonia - your fucking brain will melt

Uncle Steezo
01-26-2010, 12:29 AM
But you know Dre used to be one of these mean grillin street niggas though. I heard stories about Dre back in the day used to spend his nights sittin back in his caddy at nights just holdin the heat waiting for shit to pop off, im not lyin! They said Dre used to be one of the darker brothers in the gang, never went anywhere without the heater in his lap.

People wouldnt beleieve that about Dre.

who told you this?
some Bowen Homes niggas that moved to england?
shut the fuck up.

dre has always been the artsy stay by himself kid.
kinda nerdy.
he still is to this day.
dude just be on his own shit.

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-26-2010, 06:48 AM
I believe it was someone like Mr DJ or one of their crew from before they were famous said it in an interview, I remember being shocked at the time. He was asked about Dre and how he was 'different', and he said something like 'most people dont realise that Andre used to be just like everyone else back when we were kids, in fact Dre was always the quiet one who used to get in some serious shit, I remember when Dre used to sit everynight with the burner on his lap, looking for shit'. But then he just decided to change one day, after seeing friends die, he switched up his whole persona.

then he went on to explain about a place somewhere i nATL where gangs would go in their cars at night, and that for a time Dre was into that whole gang scene, sometimes he'd just sit on his own, night after night with his gun. Im pretty sure this 'phase' didnt last long though.

Thats all true, im sorry if it breaks your fantasy of Andre being like the nerd you were when you were young.

sickdog
01-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Stankonia was a classic album.

no. sorry.

tbh it was wack album. imho.

oDoUoSoKo
01-26-2010, 08:46 AM
http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/customavatars/avatar62622_21.gif (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/member.php?u=62622)

ftw.

CharlesJones
01-26-2010, 09:26 AM
I miss the old Andre when he was normal when Outkast first came out LOL. I believe it that he might've been a thug when he was young before he became a rapper. We all go through the stages of growing up and being ignorant when we're young and when you get older, you change. But i just wish that Andre hadn't changed into a weirdo LOL. Stankonia album is garbage.

yonatan15
01-26-2010, 10:20 AM
top -5 albums of this decade.

KBOS
01-26-2010, 11:24 AM
I believe it was someone like Mr DJ or one of their crew from before they were famous said it in an interview, I remember being shocked at the time. He was asked about Dre and how he was 'different', and he said something like 'most people dont realise that Andre used to be just like everyone else back when we were kids, in fact Dre was always the quiet one who used to get in some serious shit, I remember when Dre used to sit everynight with the burner on his lap, looking for shit'. But then he just decided to change one day, after seeing friends die, he switched up his whole persona.

then he went on to explain about a place somewhere i nATL where gangs would go in their cars at night, and that for a time Dre was into that whole gang scene, sometimes he'd just sit on his own, night after night with his gun. Im pretty sure this 'phase' didnt last long though.

Thats all true, im sorry if it breaks your fantasy of Andre being like the nerd you were when you were young.

yup, i remember when vh1 covered the history of outkast there was mention of andre being on some thuggish shit if my memory serves me correctly. I know he was droppin outta school fuckin around in the pjs regardless - and ik he didn't always have this funky out there style theres old photographs around of him dressed like the typical hood dude so its not like the nigga was born in ski boots and platnuim wigs.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6LQ8nJRUTvE/Su-kQqBgI9I/AAAAAAAABxo/-mgTXAvsXZM/s400/R-223084-1192740890.jpeg

http://photo.sing365.com/music/picture.nsf/OutKast-photo/48256C71003578A2482568B700039386/$file/OUTKAST.jpg

CharlesJones
01-26-2010, 11:27 AM
I wonder what made Andre wanna change the style of clothes he wore when he used to act normal. I don't have a problem with people changing as long as they don't act weird LOL.

Senator C. Palantine
01-26-2010, 11:44 AM
3000 is the shit.

C3b4sH7JhgA

Ghost In The 'Lac
01-26-2010, 11:55 AM
The common denominator, the nigga numerator
Never know who the hater, niggaz cater to your ego
I'm sorry like Atari whose the cousin to Coleco.. Vision
caught a Rico, back on the street like Chico.. DeBarge

KJR
07-30-2013, 07:29 PM
Damn fuckin crazy album!

check two
07-30-2013, 08:24 PM
This is when it went downhill.

MaskedAvenger
07-30-2013, 08:40 PM
yep first Outkast album where they started going down

hide1998
07-30-2013, 09:59 PM
This was arguably their best album, but I'm still leaning towards ATLiens. Still, Stankonia is 5 star work.

TheFunkyDrummer
07-31-2013, 03:20 AM
This is when it went downhill.
this
this

KJR
07-31-2013, 06:27 AM

I don't think they went "down" per se, but rather apart. You can see the artistic clash of Big Boi and 3K in this album. Big Boi wanted to stay more traditional in their hip hop approach while 3K wanted to try everything. The result was somewhat of a "messy" album. Don't get me wrong though, I still think it's a great album.

CharlesJones
08-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Their first album is the only one i like. They became weird after the first album especially Andre. Elevators song on Atliens is hard and i love that beat. Elevators is the best song on Atliens LOL. Stankonia is terrible and i didn't even bother to listen to Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. I wonder how Big Boi's solo albums are.

KJR
08-03-2013, 07:36 AM
^Oh yeah I hear ya, I was really vibin to ATLiens till I saw Dre in the turban. That fucked everything up and the music was ruined for me forever. Fuck your turbans Andre!

CharlesJones
08-03-2013, 09:47 AM
LOL@you dissing Andre hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Who is that hot white woman in your sig?

KJR
08-03-2013, 11:08 AM
^That would be the beautiful Natasha Belle! :)

CharlesJones
08-03-2013, 11:15 AM
I've never heard of her. Is she a actress or model? KJR, have you seen Four Brothers with Andre of Outkast, Mark Wahlberg, Tyrese, Terrence Howard? That's a good movie and i got it on dvd. Andre doesn't wear any gay clothes in the movie LOL. Taraji Henson's cute self is his wife in it. I saw Outkast's Idlewild movie and it was alright but they could've did without the singing. Some good actors in it like Malinda Williams, Ving Rhames and Terrence Howard. Andre was lucky for having sex with hottie Paula Patton in the movie.

KJR
08-03-2013, 11:21 AM
^Natasha Belle is a model.

I'll definitely have to check out that Four Brothers movie, sounds interesting.

CharlesJones
08-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Have you seen Idlewild movie? Big Boi was also in rapper T.I.'s ATL movie which is alright. He played a drug dealer. Hottie Lauren London was in that as T.I.'s woman. I can't believe Lauren had a baby by ugly Little Wayne hahahahahahahahahahaha.

The Hound
08-08-2013, 01:03 AM
It probably took Stankonia so long to be appreciated - by myself included - because Ms Jackson, So Fresh So Clean, B.O.B were so dope that was all you needed. I never liked B.O.B. back when it came out though but these days I listen to Stankonia a lot and B.O.B. is probably my current favourite track.

OutKast are one of the best music acts of all time, classic after classic and each album has a different style - that's pure creativity. Two MC's that became polar opposite in style and still made it work, genius.

ATLiens will forever be their best though

KJR
08-08-2013, 09:05 AM
1EU11SggoKo

This was the first recorded appearance of Killer Mike, that alone is fucking crazy! He stands toe to toe with Big Boi and 3Stacks!