PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense... timeless talent!!!!!!!!!!!

angry!
02-03-2010, 10:00 AM
he does movies, hes released some dud albums, but this dude common sense been repping the chi and hip hop right since he got his foot in the game!!!!!!!!!!!!

i wanted to do a thread bigging son up, since i just watched common talking about recording his next album with the legendary NO I.D.!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.chickensdontclap.net/chickensdontclapfiles/2007-04/25hiphop/image/common-resurrection.jpg

common resurrection... classic album!!!!!!!! common is common, never fronts, gives you the truth, no matter how bland it seems!!!!!!!!!!!!! this album featured legendary mic work and production, if you dont own this album, run to the record store right now and cop it!!!!!!!!!!!

http://image.blog.livedoor.jp/gen0415/imgs/b/8/b8b01411.jpg

like water for chocolate is another album every hip hop head should own, classic production from j dilla, dj premier, and biting commentary and true spit from an emcee on a mission!!!!!!!!!

his discography isnt flawless, hes had some dud albums (the last album for example), but the skillset never dipped, so the potential will always be there!!!!!!!!!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8fR8nXXpQsc/SmofkcqD7jI/AAAAAAAABDg/sSGh9TQROfI/s320/Bealbum.jpg

Be... beautiful album, a list production from kanye west and j dilla, and a focused common that hits on just about everything!!!!!!!! hip hop culture, his city, the struggle, storytelling joints, battle tracks... well rounded project from a well rounded artist!!!!!!!!!!

common is a peaceful brotha, always has been, but dont take the kindness for weakness!!!! his diss response to ice cube remains one of the most scathing diss tracks in hip hop... "the bitch in yoo" was a vicious response record!!!!!!!!!!! he had the ultimate respect for cube, he accepted the challenge like a man and flamed on a legend!!!!! commons worked hard and he deserves all the success hes gets whether its hollywood or the charts!!!!!!

hes an honest emcee, with a powerful voice, effortless delivery, butter flow, and the nigga is an absolute beast LIVE!!!!!!!!!! son will breakdance during his show and bust his ass like hes unsigned hype, hes been dipped in the elements since he started out!!!!!!

im looking forward to comms next album big time, NO ID and common sense together again means good things for hip hop!!!!!!!!!!! what yall think of common!?!?!?!?!!

pXzHOOuCYZc

LHv3-ESOOQE

x5btqEdt6gU

b4SbYnNsTQA

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-03-2010, 10:04 AM
if i ever made a top10 preem collabbo list

6th sense would be pushin the top 5.

KBOS
02-03-2010, 10:06 AM
yup no doubt - i stay checking for com'

niggas dont give this cat enough props i feel. Not in my top 5 but com could probably make my top 10... meh but ive never actually thought out a list. Id say illest out of the midwest after em tho

angry!
02-03-2010, 10:29 AM
comm doesnt get the proper respect!!!!

2 classics, 1 fringe classic, classic guest spots, one of the best live shows in hip hop, and still active!!!!!!!!

i got a good feeling about his next album.. the last 2 were misfires, but NO ID and common together ensures success!!!!!!

if youre talking pure spitters, hes still one of the best in the game!!!! watch how he moves a crowd live, freestyling, breaking, or spitting crack with a message!!!!!

IIS4IWUPszc

and i know yall refuse to give the fruity nigga props, but peace to kanye for reaching out to twista and common sense as soon as he could!!!!! kanye blew up, and blessed 2 mid west legends with beats to shine on!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats hip hop... fuck what you heard!!!!!!

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-03-2010, 10:52 AM
i wanna say about UMC, that album got too much hate. it might not be to everyones taste or whatever, but thats an enjoyable album for what it is. common makes mood music, and UMC is just the type of lighter bouncey shit you can throw on a summertime party and drop some mdma on

WRW5keYnTh0

^that shits FUNK

angry!
02-03-2010, 11:39 AM
UMC was an ode to bambaata!!!!!!!

i bought the album as i do all common records, but that shit is weak even in comparison to finding forever IMO!!!!!!!!!!!

electric circus had niggas furious when it first came out, and now that niggas recognize dillas genius post death, they arent as quick to pan it!!!!! it was experimental, yes, but it wasnt a stretch!!!!!!

dilla was the one pushing common creatively on EC... that album was funky as hell!!!!!

throw common in the pile with q-tip, mos def, andre 3 K, and kanye, as one of the most versatile artists in hip hop music!!!!!!

comm said the next album is back to beats and rhymes, keep an eye out!!!!!!!!!

AaAMJZNi5f4

if you dont own resurrection, like water for chocolate, and be, go to the store later today and thank me later!!!!!!!!!!!!

MindzEye
02-03-2010, 12:10 PM
One Day It'll All Make Sense is always overlooked when people talk about Common's discography, this album had some amazing tracks

Z7fAjM_5Z-w

pmDybzfNBG0

5bWQT_vjRKI

JWmQ8So1E-8

GINhYNeR15Y

Tommy
02-03-2010, 12:11 PM
Once again angry! repping real hip hop to the fullest. I remember in one topic not long ago I was saying how Common was one of the greatest to ever do it and people just basically mocked me for how "gay" he supposedly is (CharlesJones mainly but you can understand why). I can't say I've heard all his albums, but the ones I have are fucking awesome with two bonafide classics, Be and Resurrection, packed in.

Everyone knows Common can make some smooth, soulful music, or party bangers but people need to realise that if dude gets pushed, he can hit you back hard - just look at what he did to Ice Cube on "The Bitch in Yoo", or the scathing attacks to phony rappers on "Chi City". Common basically embodies the art of street poetry, just by listening to his shit you can invision him walking through the hood spilling out words based on the struggles he sees around him whilst always staying positive.

Peace to Common.

Oh, and this is one of the greatest songs I've ever heard in any genre, and I listen to everything:

Zp4_r8_MMho

angry!
02-03-2010, 12:33 PM
no doubt tommy... the nigga lives this hip hop shit, he doesnt rap for a check, never has never will!!!!!! ive always appreciated the perspective he writes from, he reps for the head strong just as hard as he does the forgotten, the positive influence in his music has always felt genuine!!!!!!! his music always been grown, but common will fuck a nigga up if he has to!!!!

and peace to the homie biggin up "one day itll all make sense"... you absolutely right my dude, that album does get looked over!!!!!!! that album had a lot of heart!!!!! make sure you own that one too!!!!!!!

be was big time... ye and common got great chemistry... kanyes biggest production influence is NO ID, so it shouldnt come as suprise!!!!!!!

MicsLikeTedKoppel
02-03-2010, 12:46 PM
"conflicts is crucial and drama thats psycho..."

yae and com won a grammy a few years back for best rap duo on the song "Southside".
good to see peeps reppin the king of the rust belt, commons been holding it down for almost 20 years, hes evolved hip hop while staying genuine to his roots. easily top ten in my book.

claaa7
02-03-2010, 12:48 PM
yeah Common Sense is a great artist imo, always got something on his mind that's worth speaking if you ask me. he fills up 80 minutes albums with nothing but relevant shit, something most "concious" rappers fails at, and also without getting preachy or corny.

he got a great beat selection as well, and one thing i really appreciate with Com' is how he always picks a consistant vibe/sound/theme for each album; giving the bulk of the production to a certain producer to really create a coherrent LP. he went from fucking with No ID on his first joints to J Dilla and The Soulquarian's on the 2 next and then he switched to Kanye West, which for me was a real blessing to hear Kanye produced albums without hearing the motherfucker rhyme on all the ill beats.

my favorite Common album is "Like Water For Chocolate", Dilla created some timeless production on that one and with ?uestlove and The Roots overseeing the project shit is just MAGIC. "Be" is a close 2nd imo; btw i read in a recent interview that Common and No ID is going for a heavy boom-bap sound for the next LP!

sickdog
02-03-2010, 12:54 PM
btw last album sucked hard...

fatboybrandon
02-03-2010, 01:35 PM
Aside from Com's skills and contribution to the game, it's good to look in a thread and see this level of inspiration after reading y'all posts. My first thought about him wasn't the skills, but the great source of inspiration for life he is, from leaving us alot of lessons and experience to go back to in his songs.

It takes a certain individual to want to give back that much of themselves in song, and be genuine about it while succeeding in an industry that tries to influence artists toward the negative route. We need Common's inspiration in these days & times.

I see you guys posted some of his songs, I've got some of his samples. Common is one of those artist that had the benefit of getting some of the best jazz sample beats ever

g5ew9HwlG_s

Common and Chantay Savage blessed this one, for Reminding Me Of Sef, I love that song off One Day It'll All Make Sense.
XDatbFGKa0g
wQrtpcwRvDo

Camel - Air Born (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJV_8l3XdJQ)
Modern Jazz Quartet - But Not For Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72ttVVJNjj0)
Ahmad Jamal - Dolphin Dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83hpBgrNiFY)

Tommy
02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Good post, fatboybrandon, and props for posting those songs up as well. I agree with you when you say that Common not only makes good music, but he breathes inspiration and wisdom through it as well. I can safely say that I've learnt a lot from his music and see different shit in a new light as well.

Peep these:

HJQ-A-CLTr0&feature=related

pMJRnolqmJI

Afficial_Nastee
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
Not my type of artist , but I do realize he's a good MC ....

It was fucking wack though when he made a record like I used to love H.E.R. in a year like '94 after Illmatic , Enter The Wu-Tang , 6 Feet Deep etc. dropped.... That track made completely no sense in the mid 90's....

angry!
02-03-2010, 03:31 PM

It was fucking wack though when he made a record like I used to love H.E.R. in a year like '94 after Illmatic , Enter The Wu-Tang , 6 Feet Deep etc. dropped.... That track made completely no sense in the mid 90's....

that record is just as relevant today!!!!!!!!!!

and culture thieves like MC hammer and vanilla ice had a dominant presence in the 90s!!!!!!!

he called out cats fakin jax for record sales!!!! wack emcees were dropping records between classics!!!!!!!

Tommy
02-03-2010, 03:32 PM

But how relevant is it today? Personally, I think it's genius that Common made that song then; it's like he saw into the future or some shit about the way hip hop was going to turn out. Granted, some of the best shit came out then but the frailties in the hip hop art structure were beginning to show and Common was aware of it.

Afficial_Nastee
02-03-2010, 03:44 PM
I've always kinda thought he was dissing Hardcore Hip-hop with that record , but I looked up the lyrics and I kinda understand where he's going to....

CharlesJones
02-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Fuck his other wack albums after Can I Borrow A Dollar and Resurrection hahahahahahahahahahahaha. Bring back the old Common Sense before he turned gay, started wearing wack clothes, sucking Kanye West's dick and fucking Erykah Badu's weird ass hahahahahahahahahaha. I miss his fast rhyming style that he had on his first 2 albums. Breaker 1/9, Take It Ez, Soul By The Pound videos are the shit.

JASPER BEARDLY
02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Common is one of the greatest mcs of all time, it surprises me when I hear people put him down. I'd like to see him link up with The Roots again soon.

One of the most diverse careers of anyone, from resurrection to heat to 6th sense to verbal murder to wake up w the roots

pretty much always has a dope relistenable verse

angry!
02-17-2012, 07:31 PM
my distaste for kangay west has grown exponentially since this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!

comm delivered a sick LP since this thread was made and sonned drake...

also starred in a coon romance with queen latifah...

even still his stock went up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

vqWo6jJShpY&feature=related

the dreamer the believer >>>> BE

ShaDynasty
02-17-2012, 07:45 PM
dreamer believer is great. its a great resurrection soundalike and com is a smart rhymer, hes more articulate than most. only tracks i didn't like was blue sky and sweet which was a nice beat but utterly hypocritical message. he puts singers all over his albums and is the opposite of street shit, i have no idea what the fuck hes talking about.

angry!
02-17-2012, 07:51 PM
^^^^

BAHBAHBHWHABHABHBAHBA

good observation...

we need to be careful throwing around sweet when were wearing purple knitted caps featuring john legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

but he bodied sweet man... havent heard com go hard like that in years...

RADIOACTIVE MAN
02-17-2012, 08:52 PM
severely underated,him and premo + a whole album would be the truth