PDA

View Full Version : Kool G Rap - Roots of Evil... cinematic thug shit!!!! movies on wax!!!!!!!!!!

angry!
02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_4z_YFyxeS-8/SkFZni0hFEI/AAAAAAAAAKk/QDfwL19jGLI/s400/Roots+Of+Evil.jpg

if you dont own a copy of this album, do whatever it takes to hear it... download, order it, just get a hold of it!!!!!! its essential listening!!!!!!

kool g rap released one of the most cinematic albums in hip hop history in 98, every tracks a movie!!!!!

one of the finest mic performances in giacanas legendary career!!!!!!! this album is criminally slept on, as it took mafiaso rap to new heights!!!!!!! the originator advanced his sound yet again, and the vicious patterns unleashed on 4,5,6 carried over!!!!!!! every flow was different, every pattern was different, and every verse paints a visual!!!!!!!!!!!!

unfortunately this album doesnt get its just due, bad business decisions surrounding the project softened the blow!!!!!!!! kool g put it out through his label that folded, and it never got the platform it deserved!!!!!!!!! anyways, if you havent peeped this classic already, make sure you check it out ASAP!!!! you can thank me later!!!!!!!!!

3t0EyDVXz0s

^^^ thug love story 1, 2, 3... one of the greatest storytelling tracks of all time!!!!! one of the most cinematic tracks ever produced in ANY genre, true genius!!!!!!!!!

GhettoGnom
02-04-2010, 01:11 PM
Word.
I would respect you a lot more if your G Rap posts were your only posts.

famenchuan
02-04-2010, 03:28 PM
crap production. I tried to force myself to like this because it's grap but i cant get pas the beats

angry!
02-04-2010, 04:13 PM
crap production. I tried to force myself to like this because it's grap but i cant get pas the beats
thats too bad homie, but to each their own!!!!

i like the beats, stripped down boom bap shit that g rap destroys!!!!!

tip to tip, one of the strongest lyrical showings of g raps career!!!!!

the scope of the tracks conceptually and lyrically remain next level!!!!!!!!!!!! strong atmosphere, and visual storytelling delivered with impossible lyricism!!!!!! cohesive, runs like an album... and a beat above all should motivate an emcee to spazz!!!!!!!! mission accomplished, g rap spazzes on every track!!!!!!!!!!!

gYCb8cpFDNU

mafiaso... classic joint!!!!!!!!!!!!

Prolifical ENG
02-04-2010, 04:18 PM
Truth.

There are a lot of legends that dropped overlooked BOMBS after their so-called primes and this is another example.

I will mention Big Daddy Kane's, Looks Like a Job For..album for the same thing....I wont make a full blown thread for it though...I think I already did a while back.

spiggity_ace
02-04-2010, 08:49 PM
i honeslty think this was his best performance lyurically, not all the beats sucked that mafioso track rite theri is amazing this album is underrated , i love this album and papoose and jinx have dope performances on their

angry!
02-04-2010, 09:11 PM
no doubt one of g raps best showings start to finish!!!!!!!!

storytelling at its apex!!!!
multis and bars at the peak of advancement!!!!!
no flow is recycled, earth shattering lyricism!!!!!

half these joints are straight to dvd movies waiting to be made!!!! g rap can kick thug shit all day and keep it interesting, godfather of hip hop!!!!!!!!!!!!

z_iSTek4Abg

this album lyrically stands with the best releases of the 90's!!!!!!!!!

claaa7
02-05-2010, 12:35 AM
damn i gotta check this one out

angry!
02-05-2010, 08:13 AM
album is criminally slept on, this album will shred any g rap fan!!!!!!!!!!!

get a hold of it and do a drop claaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

RADIOACTIVE MAN
02-05-2010, 08:33 AM
by far one ofb the best gangster albums ever released,this shit is ultimate classic material..yess

fatboybrandon
02-05-2010, 08:45 AM
If Kool G Rap was the star of that album, I think producer Dr. Butcher was the co-star. He brought some heat on the boards, taking his sound a step further from the last album. It still bugs me out how he chopped a Marvin Gaye sample (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7l3nzKXegXw) for "Foul Cats" to make such a darker sound for that song. The increase of sound helped G Rap's storytelling come across that much more.

As a favorite I like Foul Cats and the Thug Story where the beat changes 3 times in one song.

fatboybrandon
02-05-2010, 08:52 AM
the best gangster albums ever released

^That's a good idea for a new thread of hip hop discussion

Mafioso (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYCb8cpFDNU) is my song off that album too, reminds me of his rapid-fire braggadocios flow on "Jive Talk" but with a more violent twist to the images in the lyrics.

claaa7
02-05-2010, 10:59 AM
album is criminally slept on, this album will shred any g rap fan!!!!!!!!!!!

get a hold of it and do a drop claaa!!!!!!!!!!!!

aight downloading now, so i'll try to voice my opinion about it sometimes during the weekend. to be honest G Rap is one of the cats that i always loved when i listened to but never really got into or checked for that matter (besides "Wanted Dead or Alive", parts of "4,5,6" and "Half A Klip" + countless guest spots). pz

GhettoGnom
02-05-2010, 11:52 AM
^^Get Live and Let Die + 4, 5, 6 ASAP. :)

Pattch82
02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty much the same as claaa, I checked out alot of G Rap's guest spots, and I bang the 4, 5, 6 album on the regular, that is one dope as fuck album! So you guys are sayin' this Roots Of Evil album is better than 4, 5, 6...? I gotta check this out then!!!

ps. G Rap's verse on 'The Anthem'... the absolute epitome of lyricism!!! Blows everyone away with ease on that track!!!

Peace!

sdeblasi
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Claaa u need to get Road to the Riches, Live and Let Die, and 4,5,6 immediately.

fatboybrandon
02-05-2010, 04:39 PM
' this Roots Of Evil album is better than 4, 5, 6...? I gotta check this out then!!!

I wouldn't say it's better than 456, I find alot of things really good about the album but as a total package 456 wins to me. I think even half of 456 is better than all of Roots Of Evil.

There was a female MC on ROE that did a good job trading verses with G Rap on one song, I can't remember her name though.

GhettoGnom
02-05-2010, 06:20 PM
So you guys are sayin' this Roots Of Evil album is better than 4, 5, 6...? I gotta check this out then!!!

Nonono, Wanted Dead or Alive, Live and Let Die & 4, 5, 6 are easily better than RoE..
You still gotta check out RoE though :)

spiggity_ace
02-05-2010, 06:30 PM
i duno if roe is better than 456 their both dope, i read reveiws for both and critics shit on these albums 456 is easily a 4.5/5 album and roots is at the very least a 4 but roots of evil is mad slept on, dr butcher was supposed to have more beats but the label madde em put some other producers to make more commercially viable songs, mafioso is my fav song off their fuckin ILL!!!!!!!! story and the beat is NICE!

angry!
02-06-2010, 09:46 AM
kool g raps entire discography is worth owning!!!!!

gicana story still hot as the sun, kool g fuckin merked that joint!!!!!!!!!!!

KsKtlmfmyDU

fuck a critic, kool g puts out nothing but crack!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GhettoGnom
02-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Half A Klip wasn't crack.
But agreed.