PDA

View Full Version : Multicultural table manners

Prolifical ENG
02-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Time to teach the savages people.

Some cultures have very complicated table manners. Post your etiquette and what you do locally.

For the past few years I am trying to encourage more to follow how men should stand when a lady leaves and rejoins the table during the more formal dinners. It seems to be working and people tend to like it. Not stand all the way up...just partially up then sit down. I think its a classical custom out of date but Im trying to bring it back. In this day in age there is a time the lady might be embarrassed about it.

I heard in some parts of Africa if they eat on a mat that it is rude to expose the soles of your feet while eating.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-05-2010, 06:56 PM
obvious ones

hands above the table at all times
elbows should never be on the table
knife and fork placed parallel with handles facing to the right when finished eating
knife and fork crossed over each other for still eating but away or resting

there is a placement for finished and not happy with the meal but i cant remember it cause i never use it.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-05-2010, 06:57 PM
I heard the richer families in African are now eating dinners at ground level.

And in jewish families, its considered "good form" to sneak something off another guys plate if hes not looking.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-05-2010, 06:58 PM
in a far eastern culture, in some fucked up way, it is cool to burp at the table cos it proves that you enjoyed your meal.

don't anyone do that at my dinner table, though.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-05-2010, 07:00 PM
^ true but not durring the meal - afterwards

PuNcH_iN_PuNcH_OuT
02-05-2010, 07:02 PM
standing up every time a bitch sits down?

i aint a women hater but fuck that

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-05-2010, 07:05 PM
that men getting up when a woman gets up thing should only be done at formal occasions, like a ball. it is nice when the men do it.

i couldn't have people do that in my home though. my place is tiny as it is, so i don't need people getting up from their chairs if they don't have to.

i forgot to give everyone their napkins tonight, i just remembered. oh well, nevermind.

Prolifical ENG
02-05-2010, 07:24 PM
standing up every time a bitch sits down?

i aint a women hater but fuck that

Its actually not that often, since when the occasion is at a restaurant or hall, they are usually getting up for the washroom together.

I also heard of some cultures its polite to burp after the meal.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-05-2010, 07:38 PM
obvious ones

hands above the table at all times
elbows should never be on the table
knife and fork placed parallel with handles facing to the right when finished eating
knife and fork crossed over each other for still eating but away or resting

we do that. normally the knife and fork is placed at 8.20 if you're just having a break from eating.

and napkins should be unfolded and placed on your lap, of course.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-05-2010, 07:44 PM
if you're just having a break from eating.

skampoes looking at this post confused than a muthafucka

TSA
02-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Ze igbos

1. dont talk while you're eating

2. don't brup, fart or make any noise, like that sucking water noise white ppl make. only dads are allowed to do that shit.

3. don't use you left hand, evah

4. adults, mainly dads, dont eat at the same table as kids

5. everyones food is prepared at the same time and you pick you plate based on age hierachy

6. NEVER EAT THE PIECE OF MEAT FIRST. or eat it before you finish. A lot of nigerian dishes included pieces of meat, EAT THEM WHEN EVERYTHING DONE.

7. wash your plate, guest or not.

8. most traditional food has on fork or spoon, so wash your hands before and after, often during.

9. eating large quanities is a sign of RUGGEDNESS

The Kola nut is the most important material aspect of igbo culture (the same nut you make cocaine out of). Before a formal dinner the host passes it around to everyone to SEE. then the older person in the room holds the nut, saying wise proverbs, blessings and prayers, then cracks it and delegates it amongst the clan based on age and gender.

they're extremely bitter and sap the water from your mouth. they also keep you from sleeping. its like coffee only 4x stronger. If you dont eat them you're not an igbo

NIGHT MAYOR
02-05-2010, 09:52 PM
3. don't use you left hand, evah

8. most traditional food has on fork or spoon, so wash your hands before and after, often during.

you NEVER uses knifes - wtf.

and cocaine is not made from a nut :lmao:

Prolifical ENG
02-05-2010, 09:53 PM
like that sucking water noise white ppl make. only dads are allowed to do that shit.

hahahahaha

TSA
02-05-2010, 09:55 PM
i think it's the leaf of the nut, idk, i just know it's cocaine

LORD NOSE
02-05-2010, 09:57 PM
why ?

why take your hat off ?

why stand up when she leaves the table and stand up when she comes back ?

why ?

HANZO
02-05-2010, 10:05 PM
hygiene is like the main thing. Turks will complain if theres a nano dust particle on their cutlery.

dnt chew with your mouth open.

share your bread

food thats meant to be eaten with your hands you use your hands everything else knife and fork.

never use the left hand for eating and everything else. if your left handed tough. never use it.

a village turk aka black turk will not eat at a table so your eating on the floor so when you sit down you sit with your legs crossed taking up a minimum amount of space (this does not apply to city Turks aka white turks)

when you at the table you dnt start eating until the oldest member of the table begins.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-05-2010, 10:48 PM
in some parts of asia, when the food is ready to be eaten, it is polite for everyone to invite everyone else to eat before you dig in. if it's only a family dinner, then the kids would have to invite their parents to eat before they start eating.

NIGHT MAYOR
02-06-2010, 12:18 AM
its something that civil compasionite people do to show that they always are not always thinking about themselves

oh tza, just stop posting right now - ALL TOGETHER NOW

http://www.galdu.org/govat/stuorra/foto_40_coca_leaves_copy2.jpg
THATS COKE!!
0ECq3ec1vhw

hell naw that aint gun powder out on my dash - THATS COKE!!

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b222/fredymech/tzashit1.jpg

Longbongcilvaringz
02-06-2010, 12:32 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kola_nut

food for thought
02-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Eritreans, the best people in the world,

- you must always offer to share your food

-you dont eat infront of somebody if they are not eating. if u are, u better ask them if they want some of your food. if they say they dont, and after u hassle them enough, its ok to go ahead and eat the rest of your food. even if somebody walks in the middle of the room. youre supposed to offer your food

-if you are a guest of somebody and they make u some food lol, this shit always trip me out, - if you finish your plate and wipe it clean, they think your not full and offer you some more food lol. if u dont finish all the food on the plate, they think you didnt enjoy the food lol

- no singing

- be prepared to eat till u cant eat anymore

SKAMPOE
02-06-2010, 12:46 AM
ricans

we say grace

we offer food cuz we always make way to much extra food

no slurpin drink smacking noises when eating or eating with the mouth open

left hand always remains on ur lap

dad always gets the big piece of chicken

.......then we grow up n traditions are lost, crowd around the tv fightin over containers of chink takeout.

PALEHORSE
02-06-2010, 11:08 AM
what is the purpoose of sitting up down when a woman leaves the table. fuck that pointless shit.

my current girl is greek. i ate with her folks and its no holds barred, grab as much as you can before the next guy does and pile it down your face. i lloved it

TSA
02-06-2010, 11:17 AM
same with nigerians. it sucks cause if lets say my parents bought popsickles back in the day, we would all be at the box eating a popsickle a second. not cause they were that damn good, but cause if we didn't finish it, someone else will and we won't get any

begongo
02-06-2010, 11:46 AM
why ?

why take your hat off ?

why ?
agree

"manners" are retarded as a matter of principle, it's just a bunch of social conventions that are supposed to prove something while I'm satisfying my most basic need

5 second rule motherfucker!

TSA
02-06-2010, 12:36 PM
that mentality is why i hate eating with white ppl.
it's disgusting.

they'll sit there, with a mouth full of food with always seems to find its way to the corners of their lipsless mouth, described to you, without you asking, the fucking food you're BOTH eating.

"this is rich....this is definetely rich....i think i taste some garlic"
dude shut the fuck up faggot.
then they drink water and make the faggot slurping noise and ask you how your food is.
im fuckin eatin it aint i?

SKAMPOE
02-06-2010, 12:40 PM
same with nigerians. it sucks cause if lets say my parents bought popsickles back in the day, we would all be at the box eating a popsickle a second. not cause they were that damn good, but cause if we didn't finish it, someone else will and we won't get any
thats whut happens when u have 40 igbos in one hut:fucku:

SKAMPOE
02-06-2010, 12:43 PM
it's disgusting.

they'll sit there, with a mouth full of food with always seems to find its way to the corners of their lipsless mouth, described to you, without you asking, the fucking food you're BOTH eating.

then they drink water and make the faggot slurping noise and ask you how your food is.

ahahahaha aw man fuckin truth bruh truth

and whauts with whites lettin their pets eat off of the same plate, or lick thier ice cram - gross etiquettes of life

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-06-2010, 04:14 PM
food thats meant to be eaten with your hands you use your hands everything else knife and fork.

when you at the table you dnt start eating until the oldest member of the table begins.

chinks do that too. when i had that other J stay come stay with me, i made some chinese buns for him, not made them from scratch they were shop bought, you're supposed to eat them with your hands cos you wouldn't eat them with chopsticks or spoons. he insisted on eating them with a knife and fork, saying he doesn't want to eat like an animal. well, i reminded him that when he goes to Mcdonalds he doesn't eat with a knife and fork, and when he eats a kebab he doesn't eat with a knife and fork either. he still ate it with a knife and fork and it pissed me off. i don't know exactly why but it did. i know it shouldn't matter to me how he eats it as long as he eats it, maybe it was the comparison to animals.

Eritreans, the best people in the world,

- you must always offer to share your food

-you dont eat infront of somebody if they are not eating. if u are, u better ask them if they want some of your food. if they say they dont, and after u hassle them enough, its ok to go ahead and eat the rest of your food. even if somebody walks in the middle of the room. youre supposed to offer your food

-if you are a guest of somebody and they make u some food lol, this shit always trip me out, - if you finish your plate and wipe it clean, they think your not full and offer you some more food lol. if u dont finish all the food on the plate, they think you didnt enjoy the food lol

yeah, chinks do that too. if you've finished everything in your bowl, you bet they'll be someone trying to put more in your bowl for you. and they always cook more than enough for everyone.

and the sharing, if you only have say one packet of crisps and there's other people about, you have to offer some to the others even if you end up with one crisp to yourself.

it's disgusting.

eating the food doesn't always mean you like it. the chef would want to know if you're eating it cos you think it's really nice or whether you're just eating cos you're starving. you can't always tell whether they like it or not from what they have or haven't left on their plates, some people can't eat the same amount as others.

Olive Oil Goombah
02-06-2010, 05:15 PM
LOL at skampoe acting like he has any kind of etiquette and any table involving food.

You dont get that fat by not being a pig.

Stop frontin dewd

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-06-2010, 05:19 PM
something i wanted to ask italians, is there a rule saying pasta should be eaten on a plate with a knife and fork? i eat my pasta in a pasta bowl and with either a spoon or fork.

SKAMPOE
02-06-2010, 05:42 PM
i eat it with a sponn n a fork, u twirls the pasta with the fork onto the spoon!

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-06-2010, 05:46 PM
i eat it with a sponn n a fork, u twirls the pasta with the fork onto the spoon!

i use a spoon and fork when i eat spaghetti.

i use chopsticks and a spoon when i eat noodles.

Prolifical ENG
02-07-2010, 03:50 PM
why ?

why take your hat off ?

why ?

It reminded me of that scene from Blast From the Past:

Eve (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000224/): Or have perfect table manners!
Troy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004929/): You know, I asked him about that. He said, good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them. See, I didn't know that, I thought it was just a way of acting all superior. Oh and you know what else he told me?
Eve (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000224/): What?
Troy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004929/): He thinks I'm a gentleman and you're a lady.
Eve (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000224/): [disgusted] Well, consider the source! I don't even know what a lady is.
Troy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004929/): I know, I mean I thought a "gentleman" was somebody that owned horses. But it turns out, his short and simple definition of a lady or a gentleman is, someone who always tries to make sure the people around him or her are as comfortable as possible.
Eve (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000224/): Where do you think he got all that information?
Troy (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004929/): From the oddest place - his parents. I mean, I don't think I got that memo from mine.

food for thought
02-07-2010, 09:44 PM
blast from the past is my shit lol no homo

EAGLE EYE
02-07-2010, 09:52 PM
If some of you disengage your brains from all of these ridiculous cross-cultural norms you will see the human race dwells on the most pointless shit.

Table etiquette in any shape or form is just really, really strange. Think long and hard about it if you are ever tripping balls.

this man doesn't care for it. he will eat out the trash.

http://intensities.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/gc1.jpg

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Basically the whole thing with it is trying to elevate yourself as high as possible away from animalistic attitudes to food. As a highly developed successful elite human, they want to show that food is so easy to come by for them, they can do all this dumb shit based around NOT EATING it. Food is the #1 desire for most organisms, so if you can trivialise something as important as food in your life - youve made it.

Obvsiously you dont have to be rich and elite to do bizzarre things while eating food, but the poor like to imitate the rich and pretend they also have this high standing towards food.

But generally, the poorer you get, the less weird your attitude to how you eat food it.

EAGLE EYE
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
I use a fork and knife to eat my candy bars.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-07-2010, 10:10 PM
I like to eat my crispy hexagons with a protractor

http://i48.tinypic.com/2vrwehx.jpg

ALCATRAZ
02-07-2010, 11:40 PM
reading this thread makes me proud to be american

we just eat, fuck it

Prolifical ENG
02-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Everyone has some table manners, it some cases they work out well if everyone agrees to them and likes them. The quote from Blast From the Past I brought up because it said "good manners are just a way of showing other people we have respect for them" and not "feeling superior to others".

There are sometimes it seems like small societies took a complected route to eating with others at a table. Then when etiquette is used, some start using it as some game of trying to be superior and start evaluating the same manners around the table a little too closely to find fault and pretend to be offended.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-08-2010, 11:00 AM
another thing about eating with chinks, if you're at a meal and you don't order your own dish or the food is laid out in middle of the table for everyone to help themselves, when you go to grab more food, make sure there are no bits of food on your chopsticks before you grab it. and if you grab something from the dishes on the table you take it, you don't grab it then change your mind and grab a different bit.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-08-2010, 12:06 PM
hmmm trixx ive been reading ur chinese etiquettes, as someone who has lived in china for a few months and eaten with all chinese peeps multiple times actually IN china, i have never seen any of these things happen.

people just eat. its not as serious as you are making out.

maybe this sort of thing only happens in the richest highest class restaurants or somthing, because I have never seen any of that stuff. table manners in china are minimal, at best.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-08-2010, 12:10 PM
really?

obviously some chinks will be more relaxed than others, like how some whites or blacks or whatever are more relaxed than others about table manners.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-08-2010, 12:22 PM
no its nothing to do with being "more relaxed", they really just eat. ive watchd and eated with people eat all over the country, theres no secret rules really for 90% of the population. the most important thing is just to be courteous and use common sense!

ive got white and black relatives too, theres no difference at all lol. to say there is is ridiculous. i also grew up in a predominately west indian area so obviously ive eaten in west indian/carribean houses and i can promise u too as far as thats concerned - NO DIFfERENCE! u just eat! it depends on family to family if you eat a chicken leg or some shit with forks or just with your hands!

people ITT are making too much of it. people just eat. theres like LITTLE differences here and there, but nothing that would get you in trouble or some shit.

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-08-2010, 12:35 PM
you can't deny that there are still people out there who go by the old school rules of table manners. i agree most people will just eat when they get their food and don't bother with any rules. i do when i'm at home, but in a formal setting i try to adhere to the rules because i don't want to offend anyone, especially if i'm a guest.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-08-2010, 12:38 PM
up in the north of china they like to slurp their soup noodles out the bowl as loud as they can

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-08-2010, 12:45 PM
yeah, i haven't slurped any noodles for years though. i use the chopsticks to pick up some noodles and then lower the noodles onto a spoon, dip the spoon into the soup to pick up a little soup before i put the spoon in my mouth. that way i don't get any splashes of soup on my face and ruin any make-up i have on, if i've bothered to put any make-up on.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-08-2010, 12:54 PM
i tended to stick with the rice dishes or chow mein because most of the time i didnt know exactly what i was ordering so didnt want some nasty tasting soup that I could eat any of. was never a big fan of the noodle soup dishes tbh.

but when u order rice u normally get this nice liitle bowl of hot soup that basically clear liquid, idk what it was exactly but it tasted nice, maybe meat stock or something. normally has a coriander leaf on the top

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-08-2010, 01:06 PM
i don't know what half the stuff on chinese menus are either, so i tend to stick to what i know too. there are certain dishes i wouldn't touch if my life depended on it.

there are lots of different soups that look just like clear liquid, i couldn't tell you which one you had.

SKAMPOE
02-08-2010, 03:24 PM
yeah, i haven't slurped any noodles for years though. i use the chopsticks to pick up some noodles and then lower the noodles onto a spoon, dip the spoon into the soup to pick up a little soup before i put the spoon in my mouth. that way i don't get any splashes of soup on my face and ruin any make-up i have on, if i've bothered to put any make-up on.
i got a boner from this post!

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
02-08-2010, 03:26 PM
hahaha

don't make it out to be something perverted

EAGLE EYE
02-08-2010, 03:27 PM
and the dish ran away with the pig

Ol' Dirty Trixˣ
05-02-2010, 11:02 AM
hmmm trixx ive been reading ur chinese etiquettes, as someone who has lived in china for a few months and eaten with all chinese peeps multiple times actually IN china, i have never seen any of these things happen.

people just eat. its not as serious as you are making out.

maybe this sort of thing only happens in the richest highest class restaurants or somthing, because I have never seen any of that stuff. table manners in china are minimal, at best.

actually, i think those chinks laceydoodoo were eating with allowed him. he's white so those chinks are not gonna criticize a white guest for not observing table manners. if he were a chink or some other colour i reckon it'd be a different story.