PDA

View Full Version : Taoist I Ching Notes Jan 15 10

Aesop Chi Odi
02-05-2010, 05:43 PM
“Adversity breaks the inferior man's will but only bends the superior man's spirit. Outward influence is denied the great man, who accordingly uses words sparingly but retains his central position.” - I Ching

Notes and Quotes taken from the introduction of
The Taoist I Ching translated by Thomas Cleary.

This introduction is an invaluable and thorough overview of the
philosophical foundation upon which the I Ching functions.

Argues against divination. Claims that a true understanding
cannot be achieved without a chronological investigation
of the I Chings hexagrams.

Recommends starting with the first and studying each odd numbered
hexagram after it. Or beginning with the second hexagram and
studying the even numbered ones. One path is yang, the other is all yin.

The Book of Changes(I Ching) teaches one to master change.

Sages are sages simply because of the application of the principles of
the I Ching.

"Unceasing self-strengthening is the openness of heaven"

"Flexibility - Docility, Yeilding, self-mastery, self-restraint,
self-effacement, humility, selflessness, consideration of others
absence of arbitrariness, pure simplicity, and genuineness."

Those who learn and apply flexibility will appear to lack what they are
in fact endowed with, appear to be empty when they are in fact fulfilled.
They do not take revenge when offended. They seek spiritual riches and are
aloof of mundane riches; They do not contend with people of the world.

"Firmness is strength, sturdiness, decisiveness, power, energy
keenness."

Those who use firmness well cannot be corrupted by wealth
and rank, cannot be moved by poverty and lowliness, cannot be suppressed
by aggression.

Meditation creates strength. Meditation is the cultivation of strength.
Firmness and Flexibility are invaluable skills aquired and improved by
constant and consistent meditation.

"If you have self mastery in times of rest, you can be decisive in
times of movement. If you have stability in times of rest, actions
will not lead to unfortunate results."

Urban_Journalz
02-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Great post Aesop and welcome to Wu-Corp.

Are you familiar with the correlation of The I-Ching with the Tzolkin or "Mayan Calendar"??

I've been following it for some time now and, although when placed upon the calendar, the hexagrams are not in the same order that they are in The I-Ching, they do seem to fit in exactly with what is happening around me. That was the main problem when I first started studying The I-Ching, how to determine what hexagram fit the particular time that I was faced with. You should check it out though. It is also said that The I-Ching is a direct path to 12-Strand DNA, which The Atlanteans and our other ancestors worth mentioning are said to have carried.

Peace

Aesop Chi Odi
02-06-2010, 11:52 AM
Peace

“That was the main problem when I first started studying The I-Ching, how to determine what hexagram fit the particular time that I was faced with.”

Man I really relate to this right here. I think
everyone has their preference and I understand
it because it’s a matter of how one learns. I believe
I’m most comfortable with going from one hexagram
to the next collecting knowledge of
self when I can. – Odi

“Are you familiar with the correlation of The I-Ching with the Tzolkin or "Mayan Calendar"??

I have heard of it before but I havent read or purchased any books that cover the I Chings
correlation with Dna or the Tzolkin calendar.

Until recent, most of my study of the I-Ching consistsed of sifting through New Age interpretations of it. These were of help when I had no real intent of understanding it. I was a lazy scholar at That point in my life. The wealth of wisdom that the I Ching offers is made available only to those who can withstand its path of knowledge. It requires one to take a warrior-like approach towards ones studies and I wasn’t there yet so the New Age microwave Minute made path was more appealing. - Odi

“You should check it out though. It is also said that The I-Ching is a direct path to 12-Strand DNA, which The Atlanteans and our other ancestors worth mentioning are said to have carried.”

While these insights are interesting it seems that they are sensationalizing the path, taking attention and energy away from doing the real work. If the I-Ching does lead
to some kind of transformation you will find a record of it in my memoirs because im
working with it on daily basis. - Odi

“the Tzolkin or "Mayan Calendar"??

If the world ends or transforms at some time in 2012 I hope that I have evolved enough to
Be in good standing. I’m grateful for the research on Terrence Mckenna’s part and others
Who have made similar claims with equally convincing research to substantiate them, and I am grateful for your recommendation. – Odi

Urban_Journalz
02-21-2010, 08:12 AM
Peace

“That was the main problem when I first started studying The I-Ching, how to determine what hexagram fit the particular time that I was faced with.”

Man I really relate to this right here. I think
everyone has their preference and I understand
it because it’s a matter of how one learns. I believe
I’m most comfortable with going from one hexagram
to the next collecting knowledge of
self when I can. – Odi

“Are you familiar with the correlation of The I-Ching with the Tzolkin or "Mayan Calendar"??

I have heard of it before but I havent read or purchased any books that cover the I Chings
correlation with Dna or the Tzolkin calendar.

Until recent, most of my study of the I-Ching consistsed of sifting through New Age interpretations of it. These were of help when I had no real intent of understanding it. I was a lazy scholar at That point in my life. The wealth of wisdom that the I Ching offers is made available only to those who can withstand its path of knowledge. It requires one to take a warrior-like approach towards ones studies and I wasn’t there yet so the New Age microwave Minute made path was more appealing. - Odi

“You should check it out though. It is also said that The I-Ching is a direct path to 12-Strand DNA, which The Atlanteans and our other ancestors worth mentioning are said to have carried.”

While these insights are interesting it seems that they are sensationalizing the path, taking attention and energy away from doing the real work. If the I-Ching does lead
to some kind of transformation you will find a record of it in my memoirs because im
working with it on daily basis. - Odi

“the Tzolkin or "Mayan Calendar"??

If the world ends or transforms at some time in 2012 I hope that I have evolved enough to
Be in good standing. I’m grateful for the research on Terrence Mckenna’s part and others
Who have made similar claims with equally convincing research to substantiate them, and I am grateful for your recommendation. – Odi

True indeed.

I definitely agree with what you said about those able to withstand the path because enlightenment is by far the hardest path to walk. I think that's why most only speak about it instead of practice it.

The 12-Strand DNA theory seemed crazy to me too, but the more you look at it, the more it starts to make sense, for me anyway. To sum it up, 12-Strand DNA is developed through spiritual discipline. A kind of alchemy for the entire being. This is done through the constant practice of certain principles. On the chart that I will give you a link to, each hexagram of the I-Ching is lined up with 4 day on the Mayan Calendar. As of now, True indeed.

I definitely agree with what you said about those able to withstand the path because enlightenment is by far the hardest path to walk. I think that's why most only speak about it instead of practice it.

The 12-Strand DNA theory seemed crazy to me too, but the more you look at it, the more it starts to make sense, for me anyway. To sum it up, 12-Strand DNA is developed through spiritual discipline. A kind of alchemy for the entire being. This is done through the constant practice of certain principles. On the chart that I will give you a link to, each hexagram of the I-Ching covers 4 days on the Mayan Calendar.

Each Hexagram is a game-plan for the particular moments. The current 4 day span began yesterday, this being the second day. The current guidance is from Hexagram 62; Hsiao Kuo/Preponderance of The Small.

Immediate Guidance = In a great storm, the wise bird returns to her nest and waits patiently.

Explanation - "It is a time of difficult and dangerous conditions. You should not be seduced into struggling, striving or seeking solutions through aggressive action. Success is met only by waiting for the guidance of The Creative.

Trying times are a test of our integrity and commitment to proper principles. The ordinary person reacts with fear, anger, mistrust of fate and a stubborn desire to strike out and eliminate difficulty once and for all. While the temptation to act in this way can be great, to do so can only lead to misfortune and the loss of hard-won ground.

The way of the superior person faced with difficulty is that of nonaction rather than action. She does not strive after recognition or resolution or attempt to gain a higher position by conquering others. Instead, she retreats into her center and cultivates humility, patience and conscientiousness. On the path of acceptance, self-inquiry and self-improvement we obtain the aid of the Creative and meet with success after the storm has passed." "The I-Ching or Book of Changes. Brian Brown Walker.

It's all about getting in synch with The Universe as a whole. The Tzolkin itself is more like a road-map than anything else because following that gives you great insight as to what to concentrate on for that particular day's living as well.

www.anatana.org/img/tzolkin_codons.gif

That's for the chart of The Mayan Calendar with The 64 Hexagrams embedded onto it.

Everyone is different and it may not be your cup of tea, but we all need to at least scope it out first.

Peace