PDA

View Full Version : Mobb Deep or M.O.P.

claaa7
02-06-2010, 07:57 AM
as both these duos counts as 2 of my absolute favorite groups of all time, i've been thinking off whch one i feel the most. they got alot of similarites besides being respected hip-hop duo's from NY, both specializes in raw, gritty, hardcore street music with alot of heart and frustration incorporated into the mix. neither group is scared to speak their hearts and reveal private parts off their lives to wax and is notorious heavy drinkers. I must say MOP packs alot more humour into their shit though.

MOP don't have any classic album in the same leauge as "The Infamous" but on the other hand they are way more consistant than Mobb Deep. every single one of their albums is straight fire, from '94 to '09 they never dropped an album that should be rated below 4/5 while The Mobb started changing with the times in the new millenium. what y'all think?

on a side-note i remember an interview with Fame and Danze when they just got signed to G-Unit where they said a collaboration album between these two groups was in the works. That would've been monumental!

SL33
02-06-2010, 08:01 AM
mobb deep, all day 4 me, allthough i don't like hav's rhyming. hell on earth will be in my top10 list, especially after that P interview which was posted here, courtesy of Ghostlaced.

Prodigy is a great emcee, with one one of the illest voices in the game.

MOP is just a played out hardcore group for me. no disrespect though, everybody is entitled to their own opinions.

zooruka
02-06-2010, 08:11 AM
m.o.bee bee.

peace be with you !

Sativahhh
02-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Prodigy cuz he discovered a talib kweli

Sativahhh
02-06-2010, 08:54 AM
m.o.p they scream not rhyme

Frank Sobotka
02-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Mobb Deep, First concert I ever went to

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-06-2010, 09:11 AM
M.O.P.

Mobb Deep have two really dope albums, but Billy Danze and Lil'Fame are more consistent. And better rappers, anyway. When Havoc started making bullshit/mainstream beats, MOP still had Primo.

Also both had a G-Unit era that wasn't really good or anything.

beautifulrock
02-06-2010, 09:29 AM
neither

claaa7
02-06-2010, 09:38 AM

it's always funny to see a comment like this cuz it's so fucking common, but when you really get into the MOP discography you'll notice that they are both incredible lyricists. Talib Kweli ain't half the MC either one of the Mash Ou Posse is

famenchuan
02-06-2010, 09:54 AM
mobb has the much better beats.

I like MOP's rhymeing style better though.

I dont care to much for queensbridge rappers even though I respect there style.

EAGLE EYE
02-06-2010, 10:34 AM

lol wait.... what?

Meta4
02-06-2010, 11:30 AM
^^^^Ahahahahahaha "HOT DONT TOUCH"..... ahahahahahahahaha. classic show.

oh and Mobb Deep and alll that that that dun

Afficial_Nastee
02-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Damn this is a though choice since both crews have their classics and both are on that grimy and gritty NY stuff , Mobb Deep might be better lyrically since they've got Prodigy but I gotta go with M.O.P. , because their flow and delivery is way better than them Mobb Deep fella's and Billy Danze has the greatest voice in the entire Hip-Hop industry....

THE MASON
02-06-2010, 02:44 PM
the poll results are no surprise to me.

i voted MOP as i have never been a really big fan of Mobb Deep

*waits to be called a non hip hop head*

its not that i dont enjoy there music, cause the more i here the better it gets, and i can recite numerous Mobb Deep tracks, i just am a bigger fan of the MOP style, the get you hype type shit. And Firing Squad is an all time classic imo

11th Chamber
02-06-2010, 03:44 PM
Mobb

Never cared for Billy Danze. Fame is that dude tho

GhettoGnom
02-06-2010, 03:56 PM
MOP.

http://picture.yatego.com/images/4631eb572a5cb5.2/CornyBigSchoko24.jpg

Rame
02-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Old Mobb Deep.

These days I listen to neither.

Durag
02-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Old Mobb Deep.

Overall though, Mobb fuckin suck since Infamy, so MOP are far more consistant.

ALCATRAZ
02-07-2010, 11:34 PM
infamous mobb deep EASILY

11th Chamber
02-08-2010, 12:02 AM
M.O.P.
Billy Danze and Lil'Fame are more consistent. And better rappers, anyway.

Danze is average as fuck on the mic these days. U hear that bullshit verse he did on the Chamber Music album?

RAW-TASTE
02-08-2010, 01:18 AM
they are both two of my favorite groups, but mobb deep wins it for me

although they been shit lately.....well for the last few years, but what they did from infamous to murda muzik[and mobb misses mixtape, and their good solo joints] already is one of my favorite shit in hiphop...and havoc still got it, the mixtape he released recently[few months ago] was fire, hopefuly his album wont end up like 'the kush'

im sure everyone agrees 'infamous' is a classic, as well as 'hell on earth', and both of those wins a spot in my top 10 albums

mop is good, but never really had a classic. 'warriorz' and 'firing squad' were both great albums, but mop always end up sounding bland when they try making an a full album. but they are consistent, almost all their albums were solid

MAYOR QUIMBY
02-08-2010, 02:54 AM
Em Oh Bee Bee.

Jin10304
02-08-2010, 03:17 AM
"but mop always end up sounding bland when they try making an a full album."

Kinda like how Mobb Deep keep spitting out practically the same gun & drug talk for like 4 albums?

Shogah
02-08-2010, 07:17 PM
They are very similar groups, because their both do raw hip hop, but in the same time, their styles and delivery are total opposites.

I always like how m.o.p comes so energy filled on the track, and lil' fame and danzini are probably only 2 rappers that can shout like maniacs while rapping and still be rapping the shit out of themselves.

While prodigy and havoc are crazy with the vocabulary, although it may not seem on the first sight, but the way prodigy uses some words is just slick.

i would rate them equal although mobb deep are deeper in game than m.o.p and have 2 classic albums that shaped the hip hop.

GhettoGnom
02-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Am I the only person to look at Warriorz as a classic? That shit was hardbody from beginning to end.

Ghost In The 'Lac
02-08-2010, 08:12 PM
^of course your not doofus why would u say that

and dont use the word hardbody again

ur from norway. u dont say that word irl.

theheavens
02-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Mobb Deep. give them better competition

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-09-2010, 02:47 AM
Danze is average as fuck on the mic these days. U hear that bullshit verse he did on the Chamber Music album?

I didn't listen to Chamber Music more than 5x times, but yeah, I hear it now

I still think Mobb got worse in the end....it's probably their style of rapping. I can listen to it on albums that have really dope beats [Infamous, Hell on Earth], but others just don't back it up that good. That's why I like Rae&Ghost as a duo more, cuz they just have the proper energy.

GhettoGnom
02-09-2010, 04:27 AM

So I should start writing in Norwegian?
G pul deg selv :)

DR. NICK RIVIERA
02-09-2010, 06:03 AM
hahahahahhaa

oldie
02-09-2010, 06:27 AM
it's always funny to see a comment like this cuz it's so fucking common, but when you really get into the MOP discography you'll notice that they are both incredible lyricists. Talib Kweli ain't half the MC either one of the Mash Ou Posse is

ive only heard Ghetto Warfare by MOP but i got three Talib albums but IMO Talib is above MOP

i choose Mobb btw although MOP are nice (no homo)

claaa7
02-09-2010, 06:31 AM
Am I the only person to look at Warriorz as a classic? That shit was hardbody from beginning to end.

yep, "Warriorz" is definitely a classic in my book and it made quite an impact at the time as well. i remember they played both "Ante Up" and "Cold As Ice" a whole lot on MTV in 2000. "First Family 4 Life" and "Warriorz" is on the same level and i know some people think "To The Death" is their best effort. But for me....

"Firing Squad" is MOP's definite classic album, such a raw and brilliant album. Filled with raw hardcore lyricism over grimey and real dark New York beats from DJ Premier (who laced close to 50% of it), Big Jaz and MOP. one hell of a guest apperance from Kool G Rap takes it to the next level as well lol.

Afficial_Nastee
02-09-2010, 01:21 PM
yep, "Warriorz" is definitely a classic in my book and it made quite an impact at the time as well. i remember they played both "Ante Up" and "Cold As Ice" a whole lot on MTV in 2000. "First Family 4 Life" and "Warriorz" is on the same level and i know some people think "To The Death" is their best effort. But for me....

"Firing Squad" is MOP's definite classic album, such a raw and brilliant album. Filled with raw hardcore lyricism over grimey and real dark New York beats from DJ Premier (who laced close to 50% of it), Big Jaz and MOP. one hell of a guest apperance from Kool G Rap takes it to the next level as well lol.
Word up !

If we talk quality , then Firing Squad is their best work! That phenomenal verse of Kool G Rap is insane plus Billy Danze and Lil'Fame spit fire on that album! Born 2 Kill has an awesome atmoshphere to it....

But if we talk about their most succesfull and recognizable album then it has got to be Warriorz! One of those few albums that got mad respect and plays from both mainstream listeners and hardcore hip-hop heads .... They really were all over the industry back in 2000 with that album!

dret.izm
02-09-2010, 03:28 PM
INTERNATIONAL! BELL RINGER RUKUS BRINGER.....EXERCISING MY INDEX FINGER!!

that song is dope as fuck. rowdy cunts man

but i probably listen to mobb more..

Sativahhh
02-09-2010, 03:52 PM
mobb deep no discusions
fucking thread

tzrealzt
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Wow, my two favourite rap duos (excluding Rae and Ghost, 'cause that's a special case) ... tough choice really.

On one hand, nothing that M.O.P. has put out is better than The Infamous or Hell On Earth. On the other hand, nothing they put out is worse than Infamy or Blood Money either.

On a global scale, Mobb Deep has had the greater impact, so I'll go with them (not by much though). P was just INSANE in the mid-90s with his lyrics, and Hav behind the boards was brilliant (arguably still is).

I wish they had done a collaboration at some point.

claaa7
02-13-2010, 01:29 PM
^ they was on that track "Know The Game" together with G Rap from Frankie Cutlass Lp in '96.. also Fame had a joint with Havoc and G Rap on Statik Selektah's LP this year but i see what you're saying, i wish that album they we're talking on would have materialized.

Krusha
02-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Kinda obivious

claaa7
02-13-2010, 01:43 PM
^ well actually it is not.. ok that MOP ain't got "Infamous" and "Hell On Earth" but as realizt said they don't got "Infamy" and "Blood Money". i bet you haven't checked out 3 MOP albums, am i right?

claaa7
02-13-2010, 01:45 PM
matter of fact i'm willing to bet cash that 75% of people voting for Mobb haven't heard 3 full MOP LP's front-to-back... i'm also willing to bet money that if all those heard those albums the poll would look different.

11th Chamber
02-13-2010, 01:48 PM
^ well actually it is not.. ok that MOP ain't got "Infamous" and "Hell On Earth" but as realizt said they don't got "Infamy" and "Blood Money". i bet you haven't checked out 3 MOP albums, am i right?

Blood Money wasent a bad album at all. I dont get the hate for that record...

claaa7
02-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Blood Money wasent a bad album at all. I dont get the hate for that record...

you know what 11th, i agree with you.. i picked that album up just recently and the beats are mostly banging!! lyricism ain't all that but still passable, "Infamy" is aight too but they can't compare to anything in MOP's catalouge imo.

djskillz
03-28-2010, 03:24 AM
M.O.P!!!!

I'm still rollin to Foundation. That Funkadelic sample on Brooklyn threw me off yo. Didn't expect to hear Billy and Fame rhymin over I'll Stay. Worked out perfect though. One of my favorite tracks on the album.

Aldo the Apache
03-28-2010, 07:31 AM
That old real shit, obviously

Rollo
03-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Onyx > Mobb deep and MOP
Out of those two though, I don't know.

claaa7
03-28-2010, 02:00 PM
^ not by a long shot, Onyx is nice but naah

Rollo
03-28-2010, 03:15 PM
I just don't think anyone from either of the other 2 can match Sticky... He outshined Eminem on his own album...
I like prodigy, but his delivery is monotonous and boring.
His flow is just average and lyrically, he's just not on the same level imo

MOP ... rap rock I think is better done by other groups, that's just my opinion though.
I think Cypress hill for instance balances it better.

claaa7
03-28-2010, 04:00 PM
^ see here the ignorance comes in, i mean have you seriously, seriously heard an MOP record.. rock hip-hop, wtf?? MOP makes the "hip-hopiest" shit you could ever imagined, they made a mixtape with a rock group once, but alot of their shit is produced by DJ Premier (who quotes them as his favorite group) and their style is typical hardcore boom-bap like early KRS-One, Freddie Foxxx, Gang Starr, etc.

go download (and buy if you like it) the "Firing Squad" album

11th Chamber
03-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Onyx > Mobb deep and MOP

ahahaa

Rollo
03-28-2010, 04:25 PM
^ see here the ignorance comes in, i mean have you seriously, seriously heard an MOP record

Everything from Firing squad to ghetto warfare.
They've always been rap rock, even without guitars.....
Screaming hooks, the way they do it....

To me, it's a slightly less white version of limp bizkit...

I'm just not wowed...
Yeah, Firing squad was a great record, because of the production...
What about the rapping? ...
What about the fact that the very guests you mention ALWAYS outshined them? ...

ahahaa

Again...
Niggaz that take no for an answer, get told no
Yeah I been told no but it was more like, "No, no, no!!!"
Life a bitch that'll fuck you if you let her
Better come better than better to be a competitor
this vet is ahead of,
The shit is all redder, you deader and deader
A medic instead-a the cheddas incredda
Settle vendetta one metal beretta from ghetto to ghetto
Evidence? NOPE! Never leave a shred-of
I got the soul of every rapper in me, love me or hate me
My moms got raped by the industry and made me
I'm the illest nigga ever, I told you
I get more pussy than them dyke bitches Total
Want beef, nigga? PBBT! You better dead that shit
My name should be "Can't-Believe-That-Nigga-Said-That-Shit"
Probably sayin, "He ain't a killer", but I'm killin myself
Smoke death, fuck bitches raw, on the kitchen floor
So think what I'ma do to you, have done to you
Got niggaz in my hood who'd do that shit for a blunt or two
What you wanna do, cocksuckers? We glock busters
'Til the cops cuff us, we'll start ruckus and drop blockbusters
'Round the clock hustlers, you cannot touch us
I'm gettin wires niggaz wantin me dead, wantin my head
You think it could be somethin I said?

Match it with something from either group

I'll wait... I'm sure mobb deep and their cliche one word gangsta rhymes and MOP and their obnoxious screaming will match it.
Go ahead...

Lulz....
Why is it Mobb Deep is put on the level of the greats anyway? You take away the beat from Shook ones and what do you have? 2 dudes talk rapping...
Sounds like the opposite of MOP no emotion...

But people think they're on the level?
Seriously?

Rollo
03-28-2010, 04:29 PM
And why is it the moment someone says something negative about someone's favorite rapper it's like you insulted their mother? Do you guys just have no life beyond being fans? ....
It's almost as bad as people are with sports....
Like a bunch of douche bag yankee fans getting mad at a guy with a red sox jersey... get a fucking clue lol

claaa7
03-28-2010, 05:16 PM
there's a big difference between discussion and getting mad, i don't think this forum ever managed to make me angry irl... but music forums are obviously here for discussion, you can't shoot something down and think you won't get a reply why the person who likes the shit you just shot down think you're wrong. and both dudes from MOP + Prodigy is alot heavier with the wordplay and deliveries than Sticky or Fredro if you ask me.

famenchuan
03-28-2010, 05:18 PM
mop rap rock ? lmao

RAW-TASTE
03-28-2010, 05:28 PM
I just don't think anyone from either of the other 2 can match Sticky... He outshined Eminem on his own album...
I like prodigy, but his delivery is monotonous and boring.
His flow is just average and lyrically, he's just not on the same level imo

MOP ... rap rock I think is better done by other groups, that's just my opinion though.
I think Cypress hill for instance balances it better.

lol prodigy's delivery [in his 90's] will murder shitttt......his delivery is just perfect and the way he smooths things together with his flow and lyrics is just art, but to each and his own i guess

lol @ mop= rap rock......?????? they are rap at its rawest........they did one collabo with a rock group or w/e for 1 album.....they prety much in the same category as freddie foxxx[bumpy knuckles], onyx, etc....

i understand if you dislike them.......but calling mop rap rock is a pretty petty insult to them lmao. onyx is nice with it, and mop is a more "polished cleaner" version of onyx in a way imo it would be hard to pick one over the other though

Rollo
03-28-2010, 05:38 PM
there's a big difference between discussion and getting mad, i don't think this forum ever managed to make me angry irl... but music forums are obviously here for discussion, you can't shoot something down

I didn't shoot anything down, your opinion is your opinion.
I just think I should be able to leave mine without people acting like their eyes are burning because of my post or like I took a crucifix and cut off some preachers head as he was leading mass lol

I think something you don't, so what? ......
Let it go jesus lol

and think you won't get a reply why the person who likes the shit you just shot down think you're wrong. and both dudes from MOP + Prodigy is alot heavier with the wordplay and deliveries than Sticky or Fredro if you ask me.

I think MOP isn't, I think Prodigy could be if he weren't so half assed.
I see glimmers every now and again from him but usually meh...
Sticky's solos to me are pretty much proof Prodigy aint on the level.

To each their own I suppose.

Rollo
03-28-2010, 05:42 PM
mop rap rock ? lmao

Shouting chant hooks and screaming... what else would you call it?
They certainly aren't Mos Def.

As for prodigy's delivery, I'm just saying an accapella record of his wouldn't go wood.
He's BOOOORRRRRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGG.
No emotion at all.
Sounds like some pissed off guy at work who just sits in a corner and talks to himself under his breath...
"I'mma pierce that fat fuck behind the counters brain with his nose bone when he aint ready for it...."

Flow wise too, Mobb deep really doesn't execute flawlessly... sometimes their bars aren't exactly even.

DThayer36
03-28-2010, 05:46 PM
the infamous mobb deep!!!

shogun85
05-27-2010, 01:57 AM
Mobb Deep all day everyday.

claaa7
05-27-2010, 05:02 AM
Shouting chant hooks and screaming... what else would you call it?
They certainly aren't Mos Def.

haha that's actually a damn funny quote, since Mos Def did plenty of rock records where he's only singing. half of "The New Danger" for example

Djaminha
05-27-2010, 07:54 AM
Mobb Deep

Lil Fame is wack..

Mr. R&B
05-27-2010, 08:18 AM
M.O.P. >

I own and have heard damn near EVERYTHING they've ever done.

It's a tough decision, but Mash Out Posse gets the nod on the consistency tip.

Mr. R&B
05-27-2010, 10:38 AM
I want to elaborate on the assertion that First Family 4 Life is on par with Warriorz.

I agree with that wholeheartedly agree with that, Fame & Danze went off, the guest MCs all tore shit to pieces (especially Freddie Foxxx on I Luv) and the production was grimey, yet accessable.

I'm actually listening to it right now, mad nostalgic, I had this album on repeat for months when it dropped.

The Handle UR Business EP that was the pre-cursor to that album is sick as well, every track on it was a banger, the skits were dope too.

M.O.P. is my shit man, love those dudes (no homo).