PDA

View Full Version : "Ready to Die" or "Capital Punishment"?

claaa7
02-09-2010, 05:54 AM
If you ask me these two classic records got alot in common besides being debut albums from two deceased hip-hop giants, considered by many to be the greatest to ever do it. Both albums display top lyricism in all aspects and is filled with the unique characters of these extreme individuals. They are honest about everything, speaking their mind, may it be suicidal thoughts, beating up the wife or the feeling of being betrayed by someone close they put it down on wax for these LP's.

I think they both managed to show their whole persona with a wide arrange of sounds without coming off as corny or feeling out of place. Not many could go from a track like "Ready to Die" to "Big Poppa" on the same album without coming off as unfocused and scattered, same with "Punish Me" and "You Ain't A Killer". It is to be noted that production on both albums are impeccable and compliments the style of the respective MC perfectly in my opinion. Thoughts?

yonatan15
02-09-2010, 09:34 AM
Ready to Die any day, Capital Punishment got too many skits..

cap
02-09-2010, 09:39 AM
i like pun way more than biggie, and CP has my favourite hip hop track of all time (beware)

but ready to die takes this one for me. when i 1st heard it i played if for 6 months straight. just an incredible album to me.

angry!
02-09-2010, 09:46 AM
2 classics...

smack yourself if you dont own both of these!!!!

i gotta go with ready to die though... both emcees blacked out, but ready to die might be the most quotable album ever released in rap!!!!!! its niggas that know that album front to back, word for word, skits and everything!!!!!!!!!

both are 5 mic classics... but ready to dies impact was crazy, puffy had niggas marching in the street with biggie picket signs before it dropped!!!!!! everyone involved, knew it was the truth!!!!!!!!!!!!

TAURO
02-09-2010, 10:09 AM
C'MON MAN!!

why do you people have to torture themselves like this, can't you just enjoy both albums and leave it like that?...

RALPH WIGGUM
02-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I gotta go with ready 2 die

claaa7
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
C'MON MAN!!

why do you people have to torture themselves like this, can't you just enjoy both albums and leave it like that?...

what's the point of having a forum if discussion is not allowed or looked down upon?? of course both albums are incredible

Luz
02-09-2010, 11:15 AM
Capital Punishment is my preference. RTD is great though.

TAURO
02-09-2010, 11:25 AM
what's the point of having a forum if discussion is not allowed or looked down upon?? of course both albums are incredible

Then just discuss each album, why do you feel the need to compare them?

These types of "discussions" only lead to arguments and hype up the trolls. Im not trying to single you out claaa im just saying in general.

claaa7
02-09-2010, 11:32 AM
yeah i hear you and i hate when these discussions gets out of hand and everybody starts throwing shit (see every 2Pac thread ever created on this board), but i think the albums have many similarities which could make it an interesting topic imo. both MC's are very respected on here too which is the reason i think this won't get out of hand.

TAURO
02-09-2010, 11:39 AM
yeah i hear you and i hate when these discussions gets out of hand and everybody starts throwing shit (see every 2Pac thread ever created on this board), but i think the albums have many similarities which could make it an interesting topic imo. both MC's are very respected on here too which is the reason i think this won't get out of hand.

I admire your optimism but you know full well people won't be able to hold up a good discussion without resorting to a "who's the GOAT rapper" debate.

12weLvE
02-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Ready to Die... Not by a landslide though.

Capital Punishment has nowhere near the replay value REady to Die has, and that's one of the reasons it takes it for me. Also, you cant ignore the set in stone classic tracks REady to Die has" Juicy, Warning, Once More Chance, Big Poppa. Those were game changers. I think Biggie set the tone for Street rappers stepping out of the box and making commercial shit. I mean LL and others made commercial shit, but they were never really street rappers.

CApital Punishment is an amazing album also no doubt.

Afficial_Nastee
02-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Capital Punishment , because Big Pun his flow is simply better and his lyrics are more grimy....

Both albums are 5 star classics but I just like Big Pun better as an MC....

ALCATRAZ
02-09-2010, 12:52 PM
capital punishment because if it wasn't for diddy, top notch east coast producers and crazy promotion, it would've languished... if a was asked to write a column of which one was better i'd go with RTD but personally CP is my favorite

P-Noid Brown
02-09-2010, 12:58 PM
im sorry im tied.....

THE MASON
02-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Ready to Die any day, Capital Punishment got too many skits..

i hate when people say this, the skits on CP only help create an atmosphere for the album and plus they are fuckin hilarious.

on topic: both albums are excellence, if you dont own these both, smh.

its a tough call though, Pun came with high tempo flows that are jus incredible, regardless of his punch in's

Biggie has that stoned cold killer flow, that was blends into the beat and carries the listener through.

both flows are highlights of the emcees, so its hard to compare those, but lyrically, both were on the street shit with different approaches. Imo, Pun was more lyrical with it, while Big was more straight up.

Big Lee
02-09-2010, 02:25 PM
mad respect n luv for both of em
n da albumz r classic
Capital punishment > Ready to die

and would yall focus on sharing or recommending da new good rappers
i believe its better dan dis threads like " pac vs pun " or like dis 1 right here
i dont know wuts da point of it?
no disrespect to any1 but here u go we shared or opinion and den wut?
i hope u will get me

ALCATRAZ
02-09-2010, 02:29 PM
packindamac was one of the best skit series in rap

NIGHT MAYOR
02-09-2010, 02:33 PM
i think everyone on this forum knows how i feel about pun now so i will leave it at this.

THE MASON
02-09-2010, 02:38 PM
packindamac was one of the best skit series in rap

co sign

crds
02-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Ready To Die

Poetic Wun
02-09-2010, 07:18 PM
ready to die.

capital punishment was a great display of lyricism but RTD was a lil more versatile.
it had more of a creative approach where as pun just came in his lane and dominated.

from juicy to suicidal thoughts, big poppa to the what! big was all over the place and made it more of an experience than just a record.

nice thread tho, it toook me a while to decide

sickdog
02-10-2010, 01:32 AM
ready to die for sure.

MaskedAvenger
02-10-2010, 01:40 AM
Capital Punishment is a dope album but Ready To Die wins easily for me.

LiquidSwords32
02-10-2010, 09:55 AM
Capital Punishment. Big Pun was so far ahead of his time, it wasn't even funny. Ready to Die was very good but Big Pun had the best beats for his first album. What I liked about Big Pun so much is that he could write about real gutter shit but at the same time he could put a real intelligent twist on things. Don't get me wrong Biggie was dope but I just think Big Pun was ahead of him lyrically. Biggie was gutter as hell and their is nothing wrong with that but that's just about all he had. Plus Pun has that crazzzzy word play. Just my opinion