PDA

View Full Version : Best Hip-Hop group of all time?

Mai Wang Tu Phat
02-09-2010, 07:44 AM
Other than Wu-Tang of course.

oldie
02-09-2010, 07:55 AM
2nd - AOTP 3rd - Jurassic 5

serioussam
02-09-2010, 08:20 AM
2nd DITC, 3rd Mobb Deep, 4th GANGSTARR , 5th DPG, 6th EPMD, 7th Cypress Hill...

claaa7
02-09-2010, 08:28 AM
1. Wu-Tang Clan
2. DITC
3. Gang Starr
4. M.O.P.
5. Mobb Deep
6. A Tribe Called Quest
7. The Roots
8. Outkast
9. Pete Rock & CL Smooth
10. Brand Nubian

i don't know, something like that maybe. that's 10 very good groups at least, i would've included The Juice Crew very high but they didn't really release anything as a group - they were more like a loose collective like the Wu-Tang Killa Beez.

MaskedAvenger
02-09-2010, 08:51 AM
Wu Tang, Run DMC, Gangstarr, ATCQ, De La Soul, D.I.T.C, Mobb Deep, Brand Nubian, Pharcyde, EPMD, Cypress Hill, Boot Camp Clik, I could go on all day

GhettoGnom
02-09-2010, 08:53 AM
1. Wu-Tang Clan
2. CunninLynguists
3. The Roots

hom1e
02-09-2010, 08:55 AM
N.W.A, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony, Cypress Hill, CNN.

fatboybrandon
02-09-2010, 09:24 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_wy5RRK6kRMg/StNE4q2dI7I/AAAAAAAABcc/ngvPEs4nscI/s320/public_enemy_-_it_takes_a_nation_of_millions_to_hold_us-back-front.jpg

It's a tie between Public Enemy & Boogie Down Productions for me.

Other groups like Gangstarr, Wu, Pete & CL were great in their own right but I put P.E. & BDP above them all because...

They set a new standard of how to form a group and the presentation of an MC as a leader of urban society who had skills and street knowledge combined.

Founded a new path to change the social and cultural climate of hip hop using politics, awareness, higher intelligence and activism, a new example of "street smart" outside the contributions of Rakim.

Founded groundbreaking innovations in hip hop production & songwriting: P.E.'s "The Bomb Squad" with new techniques in sample manipulation, BDP with the introduction of Reggae. The production techniques introduced on P.E.'s It Takes A Nation Of Millions remain at the root of how many hip hop beats are made til this day.

P.E. and B.D.P. set a new example of hip hop artists who were willing to overthrow the greatest enemy of hip hop: the Industry, rather than conform to it's beliefs of changing or selling out, through the power of their voice and messages. Groups like Gangstarr, Wu Tang, Dead Prez, Immortal Technique have all followed their lead.

and besides dropping a considerable amount of classics combined, they basically stand as a symbol of how to rise up against the powers of society that threaten to hold me and my community down through the power of self expression and deeper awareness of our surroundings.

What would any hip hop music that came out after these two groups (street corner, intellectual-conscious, gangster rap, etc.) be without the Rebel Spirit they introduced in their classic albums and songs?

http://headz.ch/media/bilder/415.jpg

Martial-Expert
02-09-2010, 10:25 AM
The Roots and ATCQ definetly.
When you say Groups i tend to think groups with a few emcee's rather than gang starr, and pete rock and cl smooth

Mai Wang Tu Phat
02-09-2010, 10:29 AM
The Roots and ATCQ definetly.
When you say Groups i tend to think groups with a few emcee's rather than gang starr, and pete rock and cl smooth

I understand what you mean.
I guess Public Enemy isn't a group then, just an emcee and a hype man.

Crackhead Bob
02-09-2010, 10:40 AM
based on the answers given in this thread, it's clear there really is no #2.

Public Enemy? Maybe back in 1991
Gangstarr? Outkast? EPMD? Pete Rock and CL Smooth?
None of these are groups.
Diggin' in the crates? Hardly a group. More like a loose collaboration of solo emcees.
Clearly no group has had the impact, material, or longevity that the Wu had.

Tommy
02-09-2010, 11:29 AM
Ahh props to Brandon for saving this thread and mentioning Public Enemy; a lot of people don't seem to feel them whatsoever on this site which I can't comprehend.

Personally, I don't think Wu-Tang Clan are the best group, it's a toss up between ATCQ, PE and the Beastie Boys. Just my thoughts.

Crackhead Bob
02-09-2010, 11:42 AM
^^^C'mon, fuck outta here

My reaction to you saying the Beastie Boys are a better rap group than Wu-Tang is similar to Mary J's reaction to giving the Beastie Boys the best hip hop video award at the VMA's in 1998.

Tommy
02-09-2010, 12:00 PM
^^^C'mon, fuck outta here

My reaction to you saying the Beastie Boys are a better rap group than Wu-Tang is similar to Mary J's reaction to giving the Beastie Boys the best hip hop video award at the VMA's in 1998.

cool

Afficial_Nastee
02-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Once again, all the fella's on here are forgetting about Onyx ....

beeboy
02-09-2010, 12:48 PM
betta think of The UN as well....debut was awesome

fatboybrandon
02-09-2010, 12:52 PM
Mass Effekt, here's a great interview of RZA speaking on one of the members of Public Enemy, Hank Shocklee. Hank is one of RZA's greatest influences in production, and one of the 10 members of P.E.: http://tiny.cc/cQXWw

I guess Public Enemy isn't a group then, just an emcee and a hype man.
Public Enemy? Maybe back in 1991
Gangstarr? Outkast? EPMD? Pete Rock and CL Smooth?
None of these are groups.
Diggin' in the crates? Hardly a group. More like a loose collaboration of solo emcees.
Clearly no group has had the impact, material, or longevity that the Wu had.

Maybe the thread should have started out what defines a hip hop "group" and what people's definition or opinion of greatness in a hip hop group is. I like what I see so far, there is interesting answers in this thread that provoke thought, not just a few words or a sentence to someone's question as a thread.

I think a large part of today's hip hop lacks definition, it's going in all sort of direction with no sense of history or purpose.

My definition of a group is as simple as an MC and his DJ, one of the most fundamental, defining aspects of hip hop music & culture from it's birth. If the discussion lies outside of that as "Best Hip Hop Group of All Time" that's fine, now I know whether or not to reply.

I already knew everyone's opinions on the all-time greatest would vary, which is what makes the discussion interesting. Greatness might equal a group's impact on your life from one album or some other life-defining moment other people can't relate to.

I define greatest as a group who's coming set the most defining elements of musical and cultural direction for hip hop artists after them and the rest of society to follow. I think longevity, sales or level of exposure are secondary.

serioussam
02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Ugk 4 life

Sativahhh
02-09-2010, 04:40 PM
doble-V

Dr Sleepwalker
02-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Company Flow

Poetic Wun
02-09-2010, 07:34 PM
imo Main Source then Binary Star but they disband early on.
so ima go with Roots
then DITC

Khem The Decepticon
02-09-2010, 07:56 PM
1. Wu-Tang Clan
2. D12
3. The LOX
4. Clipse
5. House Of Pain/Cypress Hill

diggitydondruma
02-10-2010, 06:49 AM
Dipset all day!!!!

Rob-
02-10-2010, 06:58 AM
Wu-Tang Clan
Pete Rock & CL Smooth

Company Flow

in that order

sickdog
02-10-2010, 08:51 AM
1.cypress hill and the rest family soul assassins & sick symphonies.
2.wu tang clan.

MaXiMus Da MaNtis
02-10-2010, 09:13 AM
How The Fuck Is Onyx Not In the Disscutions Is Beyond Me

oDoUoSoKo
02-10-2010, 09:14 AM
74MTIBbn4uI

oDoUoSoKo
02-10-2010, 09:16 AM
this thread is a disgrace btw..

Wu-Tang Clan
PE