PDA

View Full Version : Sampling

Mane
02-12-2010, 02:31 AM
Not even sure if this is in the right place cuz I'm such a newbie.

I'm just wondering how to sample really.. I've always been able to play around with mpcs and shit, but i can never get a smooth sample or loop.

I hear shit all the time that i just think "wow i could make a nice ass beat out of that" but i never know how to sample it. I use adobe audition and when i use a friends cpu i use logic pro. If anyone could just give me advice how to make a smooth sample into a loop or w/e it would be absolutely wonderful. I've been trying it for years but it always just seems way too chopped up. as you may be able to tell I'm an amateur.

Sinapse
02-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Thats a pretty general question man lol

Not trying to be an asshole but there are so many diff ways to sample. as far as things sounding choppy, if you have your loops measured out into bars and its just the choppyness sometimes using some delays or tape echo effects smooths everything out

in general tho the trick is to get smooth transitions b/w your chops and that is all about getting the measures correct. one way is to think about a bar in terms of quater notes. your sample or samples playing during a bar has to have 4 quarter notes of sound. now your chops could be any number of quarter notes, a half bar chop would be 2 quarter notes, a 2 bar chop 8 quarter notes, 4 bar chop 16 quarter notes, etc. the way i think of it, making a smooth loop is all about getting the measures of music you sample to flow in the same way that you want your beat to flow. like if you are making a slow joint you might be using chops that are slowed down and cover an entire bar, if you are making a fast pace joint you might use 4 diff quarter note chops to fill each bar with a flush of sounds, idk if that makes sense, like i said sooooo many diff ways to sample and so much is dependent on what you are working with software or gear, what kind of gear, chopping on hardware or in the comp, all that

INF
02-12-2010, 05:55 PM
watch vids on youtube and be smart with the search.Make sure to search sampling and loop making with the name of all your gear attached.

its almost endless the ways to loop and sample.But....the basics are on youtube for you if you are in need.

peace

M.O.D.
02-12-2010, 06:28 PM
buy a turntable & mad wax , if u got access to a mpc & a good ear than u should have no problem

Sinapse
02-12-2010, 06:30 PM
watch vids on youtube and be smart with the search.Make sure to search sampling and loop making with the name of all your gear attached.

its almost endless the ways to loop and sample.But....the basics are on youtube for you if you are in need.

peace

yeah videos can be helpful. but i find not very much the majority of them. most of the time the guys are idiots and don't really explain anything in a way that you can just watch the video and do it. at the end of the day you gotta understand what you are doing, not just how to do it and a lot of those videos are mad procedural and don't actually explain shit

Sinapse
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM

peace

yeah videos can be helpful. but i find not very much the majority of them. most of the time the guys are idiots and don't really explain anything in a way that you can just watch the video and do it. at the end of the day you gotta understand what you are doing, not just how to do it and a lot of those videos are mad procedural and don't actually explain shit

5hundred&one
02-12-2010, 06:53 PM
it doesn't hurt to have a respectable understanding of rhythm & time signatures either.

if you're trying to loop a 2 bar sample it can actually be harder than chopping a sample to fit the same amount of space, but if you don't know shit about BPM or any of that and you're trying to do it all by feel, it'll be even harder.

see, I was already a competent musician before I started making beats, so that aspect came easy for me. my advice: whether you're new to making music or just making beats, would be to start with looping drums. that's probably the easiest way to get a feel for it.

one of many examples: take a simple 'kick, snare, kick, snare' drum sample and loop it. after you manage to do that, chop it in half and put the second kick and snare first and vice versa. this is the most basic practice you can get on how to loop and how to chop. keep doing it and it'll make sense eventually.

peace

Shogah
02-12-2010, 07:39 PM
The drums are also very important ingredient in your beats.

Make sure they fit the sounds you sample, and also make sure to fit the overall sound or vibe of your beat that you want to achieve.

Also the way you place your kicks, snares, hi hates can significantly improve dynamics of your beat.

Sinapse
02-12-2010, 08:03 PM
it doesn't hurt to have a respectable understanding of rhythm & time signatures either.

if you're trying to loop a 2 bar sample it can actually be harder than chopping a sample to fit the same amount of space, but if you don't know shit about BPM or any of that and you're trying to do it all by feel, it'll be even harder.

see, I was already a competent musician before I started making beats, so that aspect came easy for me. my advice: whether you're new to making music or just making beats, would be to start with looping drums. that's probably the easiest way to get a feel for it.

one of many examples: take a simple 'kick, snare, kick, snare' drum sample and loop it. after you manage to do that, chop it in half and put the second kick and snare first and vice versa. this is the most basic practice you can get on how to loop and how to chop. keep doing it and it'll make sense eventually.

peace

no doubt, you def gotta understand bpm, i mean the number of bars in the sample don't have to correlate to the number of bars in the beat for a given chop as long as it matches up, that is where the ear comes in, but in general its good to understand the way the music you are sampling is put together into bars so that you can deconstruct it into sections that are easy to put back into a rhythm

SKAMPOE
02-12-2010, 11:25 PM
yea man its all about the bpm, if u master that u can chop shit up easy, shits mad hard imo so props to those that do it up real heavy.

Mane
02-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Alright thanks a lot guys

The Ghost
02-14-2010, 06:49 PM
Also practice looping. Its very instrumental (no pun intended) after that go into chopping. It all starts with wax though. Go grab a lot.

Another thing you could do is find the original samples of some of your favorite beats and figure out how the producer flipped it.

DC Entel
02-17-2010, 04:00 AM
the best way I learned was to copy my influences. Basically making a beat sounding similiar to one already created. Matching tempo, type of drums, type of sample and the way you want it to play out. Eventually you branch off.

peace