PDA

View Full Version : Turn-Tables

Mane
02-15-2010, 12:46 AM
Can i get some recommendations for turntables priced anywhere under 800?

I don't really care what kind of turntable, vinyl, digital, usb, cd's, ipod, whatever...

I just want a recommendation for any and all gear that would get me started with using a turntable. Thanks.

Mumm Ra
02-15-2010, 02:03 AM
since you brought it up - i wanna know the same but with just USB turntables

INF
02-15-2010, 10:53 AM
this is all you should be worried about

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=cNP&q=technics+turntables&aq=0s&aqi=g-s1g-sx3g1g-sx5&oq=techniques+tu

MummRA I cant tell you nothing about usb turntables , srry

Mane , you should be able to find something technics for the money you got and if not save up.

Tecknowledgist
02-15-2010, 11:16 AM
yeh i've been wanting to get a couple technics (MKII or something) but i don't know what mixer to get

INF
02-15-2010, 11:39 AM
I forgot what the ill mixer combo is for the technics. I'll have to ask my source again and get back to you on that one.

5hundred&one
02-15-2010, 02:55 PM
a USB turntable ain't really important if you're trying to connect to your computer. My mixer hasn't worked for a while, but I still have a pair of gemini turntables (TT02 & a XL-500 II, both good) hooked up to my PC with relative ease, and I spent way less than 800. all you need is a phono pre-amp and a low latency soundcard.

http://www.mycablemart.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1774 -
^preamp
$30.00

http://www.cheapdjgear.us/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DJSCRATCHA -
^2 direct drive turntables & a mixer
$380.00

that alone will allow you recording compatibility, for whatever hardware you're using, be it an MPC or other hardware samplers or a PC. it will also give you a set-up to practice your scratching, but if you're going to try & record to the PC, it's best to have a decent sound card.

anything with low latency (ASIO) compatibility will get you started, but for around 300-400 dollars you can get yourself a badass interface that will go a LONG way, trust me.

peep this: http://tweakheadz.com/soundcards_FAQ.htm

read that whole FAQ if you want to know more about what souncard to get, but especially the last page that I linked. it breaks down all the features of sound cards & intefaces if you're unfamiliar with them and on a few of the pages it provides charts of products with their features and average price etc. very easy to use.

so add a middle of the road soundcard to your set-up OP and you're looking at everything you will possibly need to get started with DJing/turntables for under $800. unless of course you don't have a sampler and you're set on using hardware. that's a whole discussion in and of itself.

hope this helps, peace

M.O.D.
02-15-2010, 03:00 PM
technique 1210's & a vestax , thats the ill combo right there

Mumm Ra
02-15-2010, 03:22 PM
thanks guys - i definitely need a new sound card....been putting that off for too long

i dont really wanna start getting into vinyl though, as much as i loved the feel of it when i got to mess around with it -
but i dunno - dont feel like taking the money and such to start collecting vinyls

Mane
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I've decided that i definitely want to go vinyl. I don't like the feel of scratching digitally, it just doesn't feel natural.

Mumm Ra
02-15-2010, 04:43 PM
i only got to mess with vinyl once
my stripper friend got into DJing and she got a siiick setup of 2 SL 1200s and a djm 600, messed around with it a few times and its an amazing feeling - even though i had no idea what i was doing lmao
its very rare you see vinyl djs in a bar/ club nowadays though, its almost all digital now.

5hundred&one
02-15-2010, 07:05 PM
word, vinyl is a lot of fun to play with.

and 1200s are nice if you're serious, no doubt; but if you're just doing it for a hobby, that link I posted of the whole 2 turntable + mixer set-up is great for what it is and it's affordable as hell too.

it's a nice break from mp3s every now and then too, just to listen to old records. you find a lot of samples just sitting back and playing music. you can buy 1 decent direct drive turntable used for like under 100 dollars. combine it with that 30 dollar pre-amp and you're set to sample vinyl, it's easier than ppl think.

scratching is a bit more involved, and I'll admit that I'm not great at it, I don't have the best set-up right now, so I'ma be upgrading pretty soon too.

Sinapse
02-15-2010, 07:12 PM
1200's and a mixer is a pretty serious investment. There are lots of less expensive models you can cop and use to start, the Stantons are cheap. Also are you trying to DJ or just produce? If you just want to sample off of vinyl all you need is an affordable direct drive table.

to the cat that said vinyl is expensive...if you are looking for rare collector item LPs then yes, but for crate diggers come on now you can get shitloads of wax at thrift stores for dollar a piece or less.

Mumm Ra
02-23-2010, 05:41 AM
quick question -
can i pick up a cheap usb soundcard (ones that just look like a flash drive) to improve my latency and give me ASIO capabilities?
i have a fairly new laptop but using my MPK25 i still get some latency issues when using it

5hundred&one
02-23-2010, 11:24 AM
you can, just make sure it says 'suppports ASIO drivers' or something similar in the product description. they make plenty of USB cards that support ASIO, so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

as far as cheap, I don't really know of any dirt cheap ASIO cards, but I'm sure you can find one for under $100. your best bet is searching online, I don't think you'll find one at best buy. not a cheap one that's worth getting anyway.

INF
02-23-2010, 01:06 PM
u can dl a asio driver for free.look on youtube ,thats where I learned.

5hundred&one
02-23-2010, 02:34 PM
true, if you're just trying to record like a vsti performance with a midi controller or something, then you can download an asio driver, but if you want low latency recording on a decent microphone or an external instrument then you'll need some sort of interface or sound card that has low latency compatibility.

in other words, a person without an asio card can get by with an asio driver for recording in-computer sounds, but it doesn't carry over into trying to record anything that you plug into your sound card.

INF
02-23-2010, 04:09 PM
yeah it does.I run my mixer through my sound card and I plug the turn table and mic into the mixer.

maybe im not clear on what you are saying though Juice

Mumm Ra
02-23-2010, 05:46 PM
aight thanks guys -
i downloaded an asio driver....it even recognizes the audio programs i use..
but it still wont play back sounds in asio output (if i set it in fl studio for example)
ill probably pick up a usb card sometime soon though, im sure that'd be my best bet anyway

INF
02-23-2010, 05:47 PM
if you set your asio driver in FL it will pick up what you need.

I only use the asio for FL thats how I know.try it.

Mumm Ra
02-23-2010, 06:06 PM
thats what i just tried...i can see that FL will register sounds when i hit a pad but i wont hear anything out of my speakers

INF
02-23-2010, 06:16 PM
go to your mixer and open it up to your .... hold on IM gonna take a screen shiot.

INF
02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/infinity4276/fl.jpg

click on that and get it to look like this

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii308/infinity4276/fl2.jpg

pick the first one or tell me what your options are

Mumm Ra
02-23-2010, 06:47 PM
i tried each option and still no audio output -
i can choose from
conexant hd audio input 1
conexant audio input 2
and then these are grayed-out and i can't pick them:
ASIO4ALL v2 - stereo
ASIO4ALL v2 - mono

INF
02-23-2010, 06:51 PM
srry dude....

Mumm Ra
02-23-2010, 06:57 PM
lol sall good, thanks
ill get me a soundcard

5hundred&one
02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
@Infinity, I'm not the authority on this shit, so I might not completely understand it myself, but I think the ASIO4ALL driver is some sort of way for ppl without ASIO compatible sound devices to cut corners and get low latency recording for MIDI devices and thing of that nature.

I've never seen a case where you couldn't get ASIO options in FL Studio, regardless of what kind of sound card was on the PC, by downloading the ASIO4ALL driver. from the screenshot you posted, I can see you use a sound blaster card which probably comes ASIO compatible from the manufacturer. I use the ASIO4ALL driver with a santa fe turtle beach card and right on their main website it says they don't support ASIO drivers.

that's probably the difference. you just have a better sound card than we do. =p

INF
02-23-2010, 09:09 PM
Cool.naw jb it sounds like u know ur shit.this is a nice sound card I have.it sucks cuz I'm ready for a new cpu and I don't know if my next cpu is gonna have something like my sb card.guess ill crosss. That bridge when I get to it.anyway peace.