PDA

View Full Version : Music that's (lyrically) inspired by Hip Hop?

GhettoGnom
02-20-2010, 06:17 PM
Whatever music you feel were heavily influenced by Hip Hop- post it.

After seeing the Murder Ballads (Nick Cave & the Bad SeedS) documentary(+now being drunk and listening to the album), I started thinking about what influence rap music have had outside of Hip Hop. The influence on Murder Ballads is pretty obvious (+Nick talking about listening to Scarface - The Diary and then suddenly creating Stagger Lee), but what else do you think were heavily influenced by hip hop? (Not looking for no faggy R&B dance shit now)

(too bad there's almost only weaker live versions on youtube, song of joy >>>)
9HXk_2pFNXY

fatboybrandon
02-20-2010, 07:23 PM
I remember Ice-T's rock band Body Count seemed lyrically inspired by hip hop, I like their song on his OG Original Gangster album.

http://www.outlookskates.com/BCskateboardPOSTcard1b.jpg

I think the R&B world has accepted the most impact from hip hop sound out of any other musical genre, it's hard not to consider that genre when thinking about other music inspired by hip hop.

Gett Off is one of Prince's hip hop-inspired songs I like

http://www.rhino.co.uk/ugc-1/product/2685/546_Large.jpg

there's them clowns in the pop music world that used hip hop like Aaron Carter: the brother of Nick Carter from the Backstreet Boyz, that type of thing makes me wanna vomit. It funny at the same time though how pop acts try to use hip hop and come off like dorks

Longbongcilvaringz
02-21-2010, 12:39 PM
I never knew that about Nick Cave, very interesting.

I should watch that doco.

Cthulhu
02-26-2010, 02:33 AM
Tricky references a lot of classic hip-hop lyrics in his songs (or does awesomely reinterpreted covers), but you could also argue that his music (and trip-hop in general) is an offshoot of hip-hop.

Visionz
02-26-2010, 03:08 AM
OAoAIU-IURU

GhettoGnom
02-26-2010, 06:57 AM
^RHCP has always reminded me a bit of Hip Hop.
And I've had plans checking out Tricky for ages, maybe it's time :)

I never knew that about Nick Cave, very interesting.

Word, I found out last year when watching a Murder Ballads documentary, it makes perfect sense though. He was praising both Scarface & Hip Hop.

Edgar Erebus
02-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Dancehall. Too obvious.

Ezwt3EBu3n0

Dr. Simon Hurt
02-26-2010, 08:54 AM
as far as dancehall goes, wouldn't it be the other way around? or at the very least, they're like kissing cousins.

i would add beck and cake to the list.

Edgar Erebus
02-26-2010, 11:32 AM
OK, while it's true that hip-hop evolved from soundsystem/deejay music (predecessor to dancehall), I think that at least since early 90's hip-hop influences dancehall even more than dancehall hip-hop. Just my opinion.

hide1998
03-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Artists like Tricky usually refer to themselves as hip-hop artists. The term Trip-hop is an interesting one to begin with. A majority of that get placed into that category by, predominately, mainstream press will tell you there is no such thing. Bristol sound, hip-hop, or something of that nature is what most feel they represent.

Also, in terms of Prince, he has a number of songs that he raps in. He's basically done it all (and well, I might add).

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

EAGLE EYE
03-02-2010, 02:21 AM
I'm gonna go with "nothing"

GhettoGnom
03-02-2010, 07:48 AM
I'm gonna go with "nothing"

Kinda funny when you realize the thread stems from a rock artist saying himself they were inspired by Scarface - The Fix..

You're one intelligent kid, robbie.

Martial-Expert
03-02-2010, 09:51 AM
Rage against the machine? but then you couls say they pretty much are hiphop except they went for a heavy metal sound.

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-02-2010, 10:11 AM
hip hip is lyrically superior to all other genres so i really dont care.

The perseverence of a rebel I drop heavier levels
It's unseen or heard, a king with words
Can't knock the hustle, but I've seen street dreams deferred
Dark spots in my mind where the scene occured
Some say I'm too deep, I'm in too deep to sleep
Through me, Muhammed will forever speak
Greet brothers with handshakes in ghetto landscapes
Where a man is determined by how much a man make
Cop Cognacs and spit old raps with young cats
with cigarettes in their ear, niggerish they appear
Under the Fubu is a guru, that's untapped
Want to be in the rap race but ain't ran one lap
Ran so far from the streets that you can't come back
You tripping with nowhere to unpack, forgot that

djskillz
06-05-2010, 07:03 PM
I'd agree w/ Dancehall and Red hot Chili Peppers. Definitely hip hop inspired.

INF
06-05-2010, 07:46 PM
The Red album by Weezer is influenced by hip-hop.There is a track on there that even turns into some kind of tribal drum shit but the drum pattern is a classic hip-hop break.

I hated on the red album thoroughly but I heard it in full this morning and I take that back.I thought it was corny when I first heard it but there is a real good message in that record.

Cthulhu
06-10-2010, 12:20 PM
Artists like Tricky usually refer to themselves as hip-hop artists. The term Trip-hop is an interesting one to begin with. A majority of that get placed into that category by, predominately, mainstream press will tell you there is no such thing. Bristol sound, hip-hop, or something of that nature is what most feel they represent.

Also, in terms of Prince, he has a number of songs that he raps in. He's basically done it all (and well, I might add).

Just throwing in my 2 cents.

I realize this, but I find it a convenient term for the group of artists labeled as that since hip-hop doesn't really adequately describe their version of it (which is heavily influenced by electronic dance, acid jazz, neo-soul, dub, vocal jazz, and sometimes post-punk) and "Bristol sound" doesn't account for artists like DJ Shadow, DJ Krush, and Dr. Octagon/Dan the Automator also making hip-hop derived music on the same wavelength in the same era (in fact Shadow's "In/Flux" was the first track to be given the name "trip hop").

So while I think it's a dumb name invented by the press, I don't really know a better term for all those artists in that time and place, but I guess you could argue that they don't belong lumped into the same genre.

Cthulhu
06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
And I've had plans checking out Tricky for ages, maybe it's time :)

For sure. Listen to his first three albums Maxinquaye, Nearly God, and Pre-Millennium Tension in that order. They're awesome. Just don't expect actual "hip-hop" or even rapping (though there's some bugged out semblance of it here and there).