PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with God?

MAYOR QUIMBY
02-24-2010, 02:47 AM
Ok, so theres a person/thing out there who gave humans "free will." (Lets just say its a 'him' for the sake of argument.) Now, God said that in your lifetime, you can choose whether or not to believe in him. But if you don't believe in him you will be punished and burn in hell for eternity when you die.

Wait. What? What the fuck kind of logic is that? So, i guess we really DON'T have a choice but to believe in God, because who the fuck would want to burn in hell?!

:frusty:

Thats exactly like having a dog as a pet and letting it know that you will only feed him if it performs stupid tricks for you. Of course the dog is going to perform stupid tricks for you, he doesnt have another choice! If he doesnt he will obviously die of hunger! WTF!

P.S. It's normal in the Muslim community to worship and pray to God 5 or more times A DAY. As like many Christians, they pray to him not out of love for him, but out of fear. They believe they will be punished if they don't. How fun! Oh and i also love how each religion believes their God is the best and only God out there and everyone else is just silly and wasting their time for praying to another God that doesn't exist.

Lex Lugor
02-24-2010, 02:53 AM
dont panic you'll come down momentarily

MAYOR QUIMBY
02-24-2010, 02:56 AM
^ It doesn't make me angry, it's just an obvious paradox that people throughout many centuries would rather not talk about.

Religious people always dodge questions like these because it would be considered blasphemy. In reality though, they dodge these questions because they dont know how to answer them. So, they don't even know how the object they pray to and would give their life to works?? Are you fucking kidding me?! That's right. When religious people choose not to answer century-old simple questions about God, they are are basically admitting to praying to a mysterious thing they know nothing about. They are easily manipulated human beings that believe in superstitions. It's sad.

Uncle Steezo
02-24-2010, 04:32 AM
maybe they (religion) got it twisted.

but to address your question...
you have a choice of whether to get a job or not get a job.
free will.
there are consequences for each choice.
i think it may have something to do with actions more than belief.
like maybe believing in God requires you to behave in a certain way towards others and yourself.

idk. i gave up on christianity as a way of life around the 8th grade.

EAGLE EYE
02-24-2010, 04:41 AM
we are merely a speck on a speck on a speck

http://www.justin.tv/history_that#

YungSunny
02-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Ok, so theres a person/thing out there who gave humans "free will." (Lets just say its a 'him' for the sake of argument.) Now, God said that in your lifetime, you can choose whether or not to believe in him. But if you don't believe in him you go will be punished and burn in hell for eternity when you die.

Wait. What? What the fuck kind of logic is that? So, i guess we really DON'T have a choice but to believe in God, because who the fuck would want to burn in hell?!

Thats exactly like having a dog as a pet and letting it know that you will only feed him if it performs stupid tricks for you. Of course the dog is going to perform stupid tricks for you, he doesnt have another choice! If he doesnt he will obviously die of hunger! WTF!

P.S. It's normal in the Muslim community to worship and pray to God 5 or more times A DAY. As like many Christians, they pray to him not out of love for him, but out of fear. They believe they will be punished if they don't. How fun! Oh and i also love how each religion believes their God is the best and only God out there and everyone else is just silly and wasting their time for praying to another God that doesn't exist.

Why do you care so much? lol
Atleast give em props for actually TRYING besides, y'know, bitching on the internet.

Come Honor Face
02-24-2010, 09:10 AM
I find religion to be completely ridiculous, and extremely destructive to the human race.

Mai Wang Tu Phat
02-24-2010, 09:14 AM
I find religion to be completely ridiculous, and extremely destructive to the human race.

I find it to be the exact opposite. It's motivation to maintain order and "do the right thing". Without the bible and religion where would we get our set of rights from? The world would be a much darker place than it already is without religion.

As far as god, I've always looked at is as, every civilization has had it's own religion. Why's mine the only one, and the right one?

praise the almitey W
02-24-2010, 12:38 PM
co sign mass effeckt im reading the first book in the divine comedy series and it is turning out to be a great read i think its better to understand more about the punishments and rewards of beleving in a higher power by reading dante's work or anyone elses even just reading the bible is good even though its just stories about ppl that were chosen by god to do good and make others do good. the only story i find repetetive is the flood story because of the fact that every society and religion has it

Ninja
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Whatever happens to you in life is either a Gift, Punishment or Test from the G.O.D!!!!!!!!

LORD NOSE
02-24-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, so theres a person/thing out there who gave humans "free will." (Lets just say its a 'him' for the sake of argument.) Now, God said that in your lifetime, you can choose whether or not to believe in him. But if you don't believe in him you go will be punished and burn in hell for eternity when you die.

what you are saying makes plenty sense

TeknicelStylez
02-24-2010, 12:50 PM
The basic principle of any religion is for you to be a morally upright human being, plain and simple. What people decide to do with a belief system is based on them as an individual and shouldn't be taken as a representation of their religion.

Michael Vick faught pitbulls, are all football players people who violate animal rights?

Uncle Steezo
02-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Michael Vick faught pitbulls, are all football players people who violate animal rights?
abd even if all football players did do that, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE GAME.
especially if part of the football philosophy was to respect animals.

MAYOR QUIMBY
02-24-2010, 03:12 PM
I find it to be the exact opposite. It's motivation to maintain order and "do the right thing". Without the bible and religion where would we get our set of rights from? The world would be a much darker place than it already is without religion.
How about common sense? How about good parenting? You dont need religion to know not to murder or steal, etc..

Mai Wang Tu Phat
02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
How about common sense? How about good parenting? You dont need religion to know not murder or steal, etc..

Would you really though? Where do you think we get all of our norms from? All of our morals are all based off of religion. The constitution would be much different as well without natural law to influence it. Also, we all know that killing is a wrong thing, we all know stealing is wronging someone, but a lot of people don't use common sense, and need a little extra motivation. Your concepts and hope for better is great and everything, but let's be realistic.

snapple
02-24-2010, 06:25 PM
why don't you actually pick up some books before making threads like this if you're really interested in religion. LOL what are you talking about

SKAMPOE
02-24-2010, 06:31 PM
http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5705/gifbin1240479220babyrea.gif (http://img196.imageshack.us/img196/5705/gifbin1240479220babyrea.gif)

TheBoarzHeadBoy
02-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Some of you said that Religions dictate your morals, but I'd argue that morals dictate your religion.

Ponder that.

Society imposes morality, but instinctive morals must have created religion if we are to believe it false.

The entire guise of religion is simply a controlling tool imposing fear of repercussion. If you do not obey you will be punished. That it was an omnipotent being or karma or just someone bigger then you with a piece of wood that meters out justice is irrelevant. It's fear mongering.

Religion subjugates you. Religion is propaganda. I don't think we'll go to hell. Hitler isn't in Hell, Saddam isn't in hell. Jesus isn't in heaven. Buddha does not rest on a lotus. They're just dead. We can't punish people beyond killing them.

But is execution justified? I'd argue that without a God it is more then justified. Mankind is God. That's what the 5% claims. Why limit ourselves with delusions of monsters and creatures holding us down. They aren't there, don't play a part in our lives, don't exist. We are no more subject to the depredations of devils as we are the devils we live among. This is why government cannot endure without religion. We cannot be controlled peacefully without fear of the divine, and we cannot be controlled without fear.

MAYOR QUIMBY
02-24-2010, 11:01 PM
Some of you said that Religions dictate your morals, but I'd argue that morals dictate your religion.

Ponder that.

Society imposes morality, but instinctive morals must have created religion if we are to believe it false.

The entire guise of religion is simply a controlling tool imposing fear of repercussion. If you do not obey you will be punished. That it was an omnipotent being or karma or just someone bigger then you with a piece of wood that meters out justice is irrelevant. It's fear mongering.

Religion subjugates you. Religion is propaganda. I don't think we'll go to hell. Hitler isn't in Hell, Saddam isn't in hell. Jesus isn't in heaven. Buddha does not rest on a lotus. They're just dead. We can't punish people beyond killing them.

But is execution justified? I'd argue that without a God it is more then justified. Mankind is God. That's what the 5% claims. Why limit ourselves with delusions of monsters and creatures holding us down. They aren't there, don't play a part in our lives, don't exist. We are no more subject to the depredations of devils as we are the devils we live among. This is why government cannot endure without religion. We cannot be controlled peacefully without fear of the divine, and we cannot be controlled without fear.
:clap:

MAYOR QUIMBY
02-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Would you really though? Where do you think we get all of our norms from? All of our morals are all based off of religion. The constitution would be much different as well without natural law to influence it. Also, we all know that killing is a wrong thing, we all know stealing is wronging someone, but a lot of people don't use common sense, and need a little extra motivation. Your concepts and hope for better is great and everything, but let's be realistic.
We get our norms from the environment we are raised in and the people that raised us. All of our morals are not based on religion unless you grew up in a home that believed such a thing. I fail to see how this is unrealistic.

EAGLE EYE
02-25-2010, 12:44 AM
PTWs7xdwKEE

TeknicelStylez
02-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Breaststroke and Boars are going to exchange numbers via PM and discuss their similarity in ideals.

EAGLE EYE
02-25-2010, 01:23 AM
maybe kiss too

TheBoarzHeadBoy
02-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Really really hardcore tongue kissing.

Uncle Steezo
02-25-2010, 12:22 PM
rYHd6X6duyk

Longbongcilvaringz
02-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I find it to be the exact opposite. It's motivation to maintain order and "do the right thing".

You're right.

But i don't see why this would be a good thing.

ALCATRAZ
02-25-2010, 04:24 PM
god is sexy

Longbongcilvaringz
02-25-2010, 04:30 PM

Ponder that.

You are a very confused young man who espouses the worth of state capital punishment while congruently denigrating the worth of societal organisation and government.

Clear your mind faggit.

And realise that your absolute truth in relation to religion is comparable to a religious persons conviction in their own truth.

Saying things like this "Society imposes morality, but instinctive morals must have created religion if we are to believe it false. " as if they were the truth, is pretty stupid.

You shouldn't speak so aggressively and with such surety on things which you cannot know.

I'm what religious people would call an atheist, but i ran through the 'stereotypical bitter faggit atheist" chamber you now occupy, a long time ago, as quickly as i could.

I don't profess to know things which i can't know.