PDA

View Full Version : Physician-assisted suicide - What's wrong with it?

tajeco
03-01-2010, 02:02 AM
We know about Jack Kevorkian, and how he spent 8 years in prison (of a 10-25 year sentence) after being convicted of 2nd degree murder for administering a lethal dose into Thomas Youk who was dying of ALS. He assisted 130 other people but in those cases they were able to inject themselves.

Why is it wrong? Is it because the law makers are influenced by the religious lobbyists? Or even the health care lobbyists?
Shouldn't someone have the right to die before their terminal disease destroys their body?

Similar topic.
My grandmother had a stoke in 1999, and was taken to the hospital. The doctors hooked her up to machines to save her life. When they determined that she would be in a vegetative state FOR THE REST OF HER LIFE, my father decided that she wouldn't want that. But in order to stop the machines, he had to go to her house (the house of his mother who's in the hospital) and find paperwork that explained what to do in that circumstance. In the meantime though, the hospital was making money because of the legal/medical connection. She finally got to pass away on her own a couple weeks later.

That is a personal but minor example, a much larger case was that of Terri Schiavo. Who was in a persistant vegetative state (PVS) for 15 years. 7 of which was during the court battle to remove all life support. Her husband was for letting her pass away, her parents (and pro-life groups) wanted to keep her hooked up, forever I guess.

What do you all think about this kind of stuff?

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2010, 02:15 AM
There are way too many ways for this to be interpreted. What would be the most trivial of issues; is a mentally unstable person (off their meds or in a psychotic state of mind) taking this route, and inevitably making a choice that they truly didn't want to pursue.

Although there is no telling whether death is even a bad thing. This planet or plane we exist in may be the precursor to something better.

TSA
03-01-2010, 02:17 AM
thread starter, murder is illegal. assisted suicide will still require murder. suicide its self is technically illegal cause its murder but your dead, so yeah.

if assisted suicide was to be legal then murder would have to be as well

tajeco
03-01-2010, 02:53 AM
I hear you Robbie, so maybe they should make the law saying candidates for assisted suicide have to have a teminal disease with no chance of recovery.

And TSA, what if the recipient of the "murder", or assisted suicide, gives full permission to whoever can do it without a mess? Of course the sick person can shoot themselves in the head, but I think they want to spare their family members from that additional trauma.
And why is suicide illegal? The government doesn't care about people that much.

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2010, 03:03 AM
I heard either Switzerland or Sweden has clinics for assistance, but that may no longer be the case.

UnequivocallyCorrect
03-01-2010, 03:08 AM
Key Words
-Physician
-Assisted
-Suicide

The Physician is a medical professional. If they have the credentials to correctly observe the situation and give sound advice... well that deserves the trust of us common folk. They (more often than not) correctly diagnose a problem and if your caution get a "second opinion" from another death doc. "Do no harm" can be interpreted as "Don't let someone suffer against their own will(obviously after a mental exam)".

The Assisted part is the best! If someone calls a doc to die. OMG this is a chance to actually help someone who might be in danger of hurting themselves. Or its a chance to help someone with their "dirty laundry". Either way you get a prof.(deserves are trust) to assess and assist the situation.

Suicide can scare people cause its a big decision. But who are YOU or I to tell someone they can't do something to themselves(if they are mentally stable.) People cannot be controlled and don't deserve to be controlled in this way. When you add "Physician" and "Assisted" to suicide it ONLY improves the situation. Which is the best thing people can do for such a horrible problem.

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2010, 03:22 AM
The Assisted part is the best! If someone calls a doc to die. OMG this is a chance to actually help someone who might be in danger of hurting themselves. Or its a chance to help someone with their "dirty laundry". Either way you get a prof.(deserves are trust) to assess and assist the situation.

Using a word like "assistance" though is going to completely throw off the public, because the idea of having this option on the table

(which essentially could expose people who quietly suffer from chronic depression; and ultimately help them acquire the treatment they need)

become misunderstood, since so many are quick to jump the conclusions and identify key words, thus forming opinions at face value.

Face of the Golden Falcon
03-01-2010, 03:24 AM
thread starter, murder is illegal. assisted suicide will still require murder. suicide its self is technically illegal cause its murder but your dead, so yeah.

if assisted suicide was to be legal then murder would have to be as well

...black and white. So simple...

:frusty:

so consenting sex should be outlawed with non-consenting sex? Isn't that the same thing?

Why do you group a whole heap of things under one label and give it a concrete value TSA?

HETEPU

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2010, 03:30 AM
mal·ice (mhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/abreve.giflhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/ibreve.gifs)n.1. A desire to harm others or to see others suffer; extreme ill will or spite.
2. Law The intent, without just cause or reason, to commit a wrongful act that will result in harm to another.

When a terminally ill person signs consent (to have their feeding tube pulled) in a legally binding document with a lawyer and witness present. Their is no malice involved, therefore it does not fit the definition of murder.

UnequivocallyCorrect
03-01-2010, 03:42 AM
Using a word like "assistance" though is going to completely throw off the public, because the idea of having this option on the table

(which essentially could expose people who quietly suffer from chronic depression; and ultimately help them acquire the treatment they need)

become misunderstood, since so many are quick to jump the conclusions and identify key words, thus forming opinions at face value.

Whats the matter with "assistance"???? Throw the public off?? The public deserves an accurate word. Are you saying that "assistance" can be ambiguous? If so... I would disagree and argue that a "physicians assistance" only requires "the physician to be looking out in the best interest of not allowing harm to their patient." If suicide is the best choice than the option SHOULD BE AVAILABLE.

At some point people will be able to keep their bodies alive longer than they desire to live. "How long is long enough" is a huge and different debate all together but at some point people deserve the right to chose to "go" if they feel ready and feel its for the best, AND their doctor(S) agrees.

Unless you subscribe to some bible-hugging theory I don't see how you can tell someone think "physician assisted suicide" option shouldn't be available to people.

EAGLE EYE
03-01-2010, 04:03 AM
I'm saying that if this issue was ever to be voted on, the right words need to be used to express the positives of the procedure.

That being it essentially works as a safety net to catch undocumented/untreated people who suffer from severe depression.

I'd imagine the numbers of the actual procedure being carried out would be minimal in the grand scheme of things; and or very hard to get approved since a judge in a higher court would have some say. (Only to determine whether the subject isn't clinically insane)

I think if the subject demonstrates verbally or in written form adequate reasoning for wanting to leave this planet (and go to Pandora for example). Then let them.

ALCATRAZ
03-01-2010, 07:11 AM
i seen this video of pigs in texas who were trying to stop a man from shooting himself, so they shot him....to death LOL

tajeco
03-01-2010, 07:59 AM
Yeah that's right Alcatraz, like the theory of not letting someone on death row kill themselves, they say "you can't kill yourself, we have to do it". Like how before a prisoner is given a lethal injection, his arms are swabbed with alcohol, and sterilized needles are used, George Carlin says "you wouldn't want him to show up in hell and be sick". It's done in case his execution is called off between the time the IV is injected and he dies, so what the fuck.
See the movie "Law Abiding Citizen", the lethal injection scene is crazy.

Come Honor Face
03-01-2010, 08:11 AM
This type of thing happens all the time. When cancer patients are in horrible pain, and closing in on death, doctors often assist them in death through pain medication overdose. You won't find any that would admit to it, but they do, and it is actually a kind thing to do at that point imo.