PDA

View Full Version : Dramatics co-founder Ron Banks dies of heart attack From The Detroit News

Jammin
03-05-2010, 12:30 AM
Susan Whitall / The Detroit News

Ron Banks, 58, of The Dramatics, died of a heart attack Thursday at Detroit's Sinai Hospital. The Detroiter was a founding member of the group back in the '60s, as a teenager.

Proof that not all Detroit R&B groups ended up at Motown (or should have), after a few singles on small labels, the Dramatics signed with Stax/Volt Records out of Memphis and became known for their funky '70s sound on hits including "Whatcha See Is Whatcha Get" (1971), "In the Rain" (1972) and "Get Up and Get Down" (1972).

"It caught us by surprise," said fellow Dramatic, L.J. Reynolds of Detroit. He said the group has gigs to fulfill, and they will perform, including a concert Saturday at the Westbury Music Festival in New York.

Advertisement

"We still have to go to New York tomorrow night," Reynolds said. "We have to go. The show must go on. If it was me I'd want them to go ahead and I'm sure he'd feel the same way. It'll be a long, silent ride there. But we'll take Ron's mike and put it up onstage, and let it stand there."

Reynolds was 18 when he met Banks and the Dramatics backstage at the Apollo Theater. "They were having problems with their lead singer," Reynolds remembers. "A year later, I got with the group. We ended up doing 38 Top 10 R&B singles."

"We had a great ride ... and the Dramatics will go on. This is a tragedy, but we have to be strong for Ron and his family," Reynolds said.

Banks is survived by six children and his wife, Sandy. Funeral arrangements are pending.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100305/ENT04/3050322/1424/ENT04/Dramatics-co-founder-Ron-Banks-dies-of-heart-attack#ixzz0hHUVGWyQ

RIP :'(

CharlesJones
03-05-2010, 12:54 PM
My dad told me about this today. My dad is a fan of The Dramatics and so am i. I was listening to a couple of The Dramatics albums this morning. My dad has a few of their albums. Another one of their group members Lenny Mayes passed away awhile ago. L.J. Reynolds who is the lead singer has a strong voice and he's a good singer. He does gospel music now but as i can see from the statements L.J. said about Ron, L.J. is still performing with the group. I met L.J.'s son at a family reunion cookout in Detroit in 2001. His son is in a relationship with my female cousin. L.J.'s son looks just like him.

fatboybrandon
03-06-2010, 07:06 AM
I always liked their sound, RIP to Ron Banks, here's one of my favorite songs
cSmJOvLrVig

CharlesJones
09-20-2010, 10:33 AM
Fatboybrandon, can you post me the links to The Dramatics songs Show Me What You Got and Try Love Again? I like those songs. L.J. Reynolds who is the lead singer is very good. That brother can sing and he's underrated.