PDA

View Full Version : Career and Money

noel411
03-08-2010, 07:35 PM
It's funny how for our whole lives we're told that money and career are the most important things in life, and everything and everyone around us drills this belief into us from the moment we're old enough to digest and process information, quite often even earlier. When in reality career and money aren't worth a shit unless you personally decide they are, and consciously evaluate and justify exactly why they are so important to you in order to get what you want out of life.

As with everything else in life most people are just sheep, and never actually stop to think for themselves, and explore why the do what they do, or why they "think" what they "think". It's just a case of I've been told my whole life that I need to work towards getting a foot in the "best" position I am capable of filling, and making absolutely as much money as I possibly can. I have to get married, and I have to have kids, and I have to do as good a job as possible of raising and educating my kids so that they too will get the "best" job they possibly can, and make as much money as they possibly can.

Very few people stop to think whether this is actually what they want out of life. I mean of course it is. Everybody tries to get a high paid job, get married and have kids. It's just what people do.

Anyway, I could rant about this for hours, and almost did continue with this rant, but I'll leave it there. Just answer the poll and speak a bit on your thoughts on the topic if you feel like it.

For me personally career and money have never been important to me. I was never very interested in any particular occupation and so I never worked towards one. Since I finished school I just sort of took whatever job came my way, as long as it wasn't too unpleasant. I've never had a high paying job but still I've got a lot more savings than most people I know, because I'm not interested in most of the shit that people throw their money away on. I've never strived to better my position in a company that I've worked for, much to the chagrin of my parents, and bemusement of my co-workers/bosses.

At the moment I'm just doing about 20-25 hours a week at a bottle shop, average pay, no opportunity for advancing my pay/position, and I am by happier than I've ever been with where that side of my life is at. I make enough to get by without having to dig into my savings, and because I generally only work 3-5 hour shifts, usually in the late afternoon/early night, I get the whole day to pursue the things that actually interest me and make me happy. Right now I've got no desire to pursue a "better" job, and am taking no steps towards doing so. I even turned down a high paying full time job at a local company, which I was recently offered.

Anyway, I'm sure nobody gives half a fuck about anything I've just said. But maybe some people in here could share their insights on the matter of career and money, and tell us a little bit about that side of their life.

Tecknowledgist
03-08-2010, 08:19 PM
"It's crazy to see people be what society wants them to be, but not me."

Sums it up for me.

Visionz
03-08-2010, 10:07 PM
When it comes down to it, I want to live my life on my own terms. I don't seek nor want a job to move up the corporate ranks or whatever as I've got no desire for it. I grew up in a big family and have wanted to have kids for a long time. That doesn't mean I rushed into it, got my first one on the way and I'm 31. But the idea that you get to mold and teach a human your own views and outlook to pass on as they go into the world, to me, is taking part in the evolution of the human spirit. That's an idea I cherish and look forward to partaking in.

diggy
03-09-2010, 10:12 AM
Working long hours to the point where you live to work is detrimental.

Frank Sobotka
03-09-2010, 10:58 AM
Still in school but based on my previous experience not at all.

Could do great in school but I decide to just sleep threw all classes.

had a job but I never was on time and never really did shit, came in one day and just said fuck it.

SG
03-10-2010, 11:53 AM
Careers come about when people start to know the business aspect of a job or profession besides being a laborer or having skill sets.

I get the whole day to pursue the things that actually interest me and make me happy.

this where the money part comes in...the money can be viewed as bonding social capital or bridging social capital. one is internal the other is external

Longbongcilvaringz
03-11-2010, 03:13 AM
Noel, i agree with you 100%.

It's something that i have always had trouble accepting.

Almost every single person you encounter on a day to day basis is ruled by the expectation of success.

Status within society is derived directly form this success.

I wouldn't even say it's necessarily related to having money.

It's more about having ambition.

A person without ambition is the worst thing someone can be in society. People who have no ambition or grand goal are at the bottom of the pile.

Even people who dismiss ideas of class or the need for a high paying job, ultimately are ruled by these ideas of status. One's status is determine by their goals and the success of these goals.

As you say, not wanting these things bemuses other people.

They say what they think is the correct left wing thing to say about a career not being everything, but in the end, status rules their lives.

Personally, i'm at university simply because i got decent enough marks to get in, and i had no better ideas. My studies (Finance, Politics and English) are of no interest to me and while graduation is far, far off i have no concept of getting a job in these fields.

I'll finish my degree (if i ever do) with mediocre marks and i guess maybe get a shitty job in the public service.

Whether i ever finish or not doesn't really bother me, either way i'll get a job doing something which doesn't interest me.

I'm not concerned about that though really, i just want to work enough to afford to live by myself, have some high end audio equipment and some decent weed.

TSA
03-11-2010, 03:25 AM
man fuck that hippy shit

i want to fucking get paid. getting money in life it's important but when you really think about it nothing in life is important. it's only important if you make it important. If you go around making nothing important life is not worth it and you won't enjoy the joy of having something be important.

i see it as fun. im really not a materialistic person, but if im going out on the weekend i'd like to out fresh the ppl around me just for fun, the same way you'd like to win a soccer game, it ain't that deep but oh well. Same with success and careers, i like competition and i think the competition and having ambition and the brings me are good things to keep in my life.

if you don't value something, it doesn't have to be class or material success but not valuing something leads you to rob yourself of the joy of having something to value

often when a person doesn't have ambition life is just fucking boring. its like playing a board game that you don't want to win or lose. fuck that. you just space off and not do anything

but if your IN DAHT SHIT you'll have more fun. Nothing in life is important or deep, it all comes and goes, might as well have some fun on the road

Longbongcilvaringz
03-11-2010, 10:10 AM
Why do you assume someone with no ambition is doing nothing and that nothing in their lives is important.

If you enjoy working like a maniac, that's great. If you enjoy studying like crazy, that's also great.

Personally i just want to enjoy myself as much as possible and aid others to enjoy themselves.

But look around at the people who do focus so heavily on their career and achievements and consider whether they are happy or not. Some are, but most are working this hard in jobs which they have no interest in, because they think it is the right thing to do.

There is a common assumption that the less enjoyable an activity is, ultimately the more fulfilling it will be

Society espouses an arbitrary valuation of achievement.

Someone can be the biggest cunt to everyone they know, but if they manage to write an interesting book, make some ok music or earn a significant amount of money, they are revered universally.

Your last sentence is my view on the subject also, we just have different ideas about achieving this.

SID
03-11-2010, 11:28 AM
Great build guys, honesty.

This what I'm trying to drill into the people who surround me who are all obsessed with success and money, I'd like to think I'm a simple man when it comes to being happy, i don't need much, some good company, good music and good drugs and I'm all kushty,

I think happiness should come before success, i don't believe the two are necessarily interlinked as a lot of people do, a lot of businessmen who achieve success are depressed and feel their existence is meaningless.

I just wanna be happy man, leave my mark on the earth, contribute positively in some form of the other and leave a legacy for my future family to benefit from.

I'm also a very spiritual person, very adversed to the idea of slaving my ass off for some coporate boss, hence the reason i have never consecutivley worked for longer then 6 months or finished a course.

Usually as i get into whatever I'm doing whether it be studies or work, it i think to myself, what the fuck am i doing here, i don't like what I'm doing, i don't like my coworkers, i don't like the train journey, and i don't like waiting a month for a puny amount of money.

I don't think happiness should be sacrificed for success, I would rather lounge around smoke weed, listen to music, write, create, design then waste my time and energy on unconstructive tasks that benefit all apart from me.

The generation is very disenfranchised with modern life, because it really sucks.

noel411
03-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Noel, i agree with you 100%.

It's something that i have always had trouble accepting.

Almost every single person you encounter on a day to day basis is ruled by the expectation of success.

Status within society is derived directly form this success.

I wouldn't even say it's necessarily related to having money.

It's more about having ambition.

A person without ambition is the worst thing someone can be in society. People who have no ambition or grand goal are at the bottom of the pile.

Even people who dismiss ideas of class or the need for a high paying job, ultimately are ruled by these ideas of status. One's status is determine by their goals and the success of these goals.

As you say, not wanting these things bemuses other people.

They say what they think is the correct left wing thing to say about a career not being everything, but in the end, status rules their lives.

Personally, i'm at university simply because i got decent enough marks to get in, and i had no better ideas. My studies (Finance, Politics and English) are of no interest to me and while graduation is far, far off i have no concept of getting a job in these fields.

I'll finish my degree (if i ever do) with mediocre marks and i guess maybe get a shitty job in the public service.

Whether i ever finish or not doesn't really bother me, either way i'll get a job doing something which doesn't interest me.

I'm not concerned about that though really, i just want to work enough to afford to live by myself, have some high end audio equipment and some decent weed.

Truth spoken + I laughed out loud at that last comment.

TSA, your whole outlook on this is just totally fucked to me, dude.
when you really think about it nothing in life is important. it's only important if you make it important. If you go around making nothing important life is not worth it and you won't enjoy the joy of having something be important
The bold part is absolutely true and a large part of what I was stressing in my post. But you seem to assume that if money and career are not important to a person then nothing is. This is the mentality most people are stuck in. They've had the supposed importance of career and money drilled into them so incessantly through their lives that they're at a loss when they encounter somebody who doesn't value those things. Family, friends, health, surfing, fishing, learning, reading, personal growth, excercise, fitness, treating other people well, knowing and understanding myself...all those things are infinitely more important to me than career and money, and that is something that people in general are too far "brainwashed" (for lack of a better term), to comprehend.
often when a person doesn't have ambition life is just fucking boring. its like playing a board game that you don't want to win or lose. fuck that. you just space off and not do anything
Life is "fucking boring" if YOU are "fucking boring". I remember when I was a kid I used to get bored. Now I never have close to enough time to do all the things I want to do. Even when I've been unemployed and had no commitments whatsoever. I could spend a whole day with a few books, have a few breaks to pursue some physical activity and burn some energy, something as bland as going for a bike ride, and not get bored at all.

People get stuck in this messed up mentality where they need high drama, excitement, and repeated outside stimulation to keep themselves entertained, and in the process they forget how to enjoy the simple things in life, and find contentment through themselves.
Nothing in life is important or deep, it all comes and goes, might as well have some fun on the road
That's exactly why I would never place importance on career and money, and waste my short amount of time on this planet working more than I need to, and dedicating so much of my mental capacity (wrong term but I'm stumped) to how I'm performing at work, how I can "better" my position at work, how I can make more money etc.

Another thing worth exploring is the application of the word "success" in modern society. Several times in this thread people have used to word success to indicate how well one is doing career-wise, or how much money they are pulling in. Why is that? Since when does the word success automatically apply to career and money? Success indicates a favourable outcome in any situation. So when we apply the word to life in general we are automatically assuming that a favourable outcome in life is to do well in the business world and make a whole lot of money. Pretty fucked up isn't it?

Longbongcilvaringz
03-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Great build guys, honesty.

This what I'm trying to drill into the people who surround me who are all obsessed with success and money, I'd like to think I'm a simple man when it comes to being happy, i don't need much, some good company, good music and good drugs and I'm all kushty,

I think happiness should come before success, i don't believe the two are necessarily interlinked as a lot of people do, a lot of businessmen who achieve success are depressed and feel their existence is meaningless.

I just wanna be happy man, leave my mark on the earth, contribute positively in some form of the other and leave a legacy for my future family to benefit from.

I'm also a very spiritual person, very adversed to the idea of slaving my ass off for some coporate boss, hence the reason i have never consecutivley worked for longer then 6 months or finished a course.

Usually as i get into whatever I'm doing whether it be studies or work, it i think to myself, what the fuck am i doing here, i don't like what I'm doing, i don't like my coworkers, i don't like the train journey, and i don't like waiting a month for a puny amount of money.

I don't think happiness should be sacrificed for success, I would rather lounge around smoke weed, listen to music, write, create, design then waste my time and energy on unconstructive tasks that benefit all apart from me.

The generation is very disenfranchised with modern life, because it really sucks.

True.

We have created a perpetual work cycle to support our economies. It is essential for people to work ridiculous hours doing jobs which maybe 1% of the population actually finds enjoyable.

And for what?

If you scaled everything back, there would be no effect on the economy.

Another thing worth exploring is the application of the word "success" in modern society. Several times in this thread people have used to word success to indicate how well one is doing career-wise, or how much money they are pulling in. Why is that? Since when does the word success automatically apply to career and money? Success indicates a favourable outcome in any situation. So when we apply the word to life in general we are automatically assuming that a favourable outcome in life is to do well in the business world and make a whole lot of money. Pretty fucked up isn't it?

If you need an example of how society has been engendered with the notion of life either being a 'success' or 'failure', tell a law student that your goal in life is to have fun, and watch their face.

People are defined by their occupation so heavily, anything contrary to this is seen as an attack on them personally.

Uncle Steezo
03-12-2010, 08:03 AM
you waited 13 billion years to experience this tiny sliver of time. why waste it?

Ghost In The 'Lac
03-12-2010, 08:54 AM
Jesus this Noel characters posts are so fucking bland I swear the man can write 1000 words and not make any particular point about anything. If your gonna write all that much put some goddam substance to it, that whole post could of been written in one sentence the rest of it as just some wish washy prozac induced nonsense that really didnt need typing out.

He's like a Dawson's Creek rejected character idea.

Life isnt about being happy, we are driven by our subconcious and free will is an illusion. We are just another organism programmed and directed by our DNA at a level you could not comprehend. "Human Conciousness" is an illusion to help us survive and re produce. "Money and careers" is such a trivial aspect of anything -This isnt KTL. Go to an emotional life support group or something.

Human brains though have evolved to a point where the survival of the speices is supported by a quest for knowledge that can be passed down and expanded upon. This is different from all other animals on the planet. This is the true debate not some faggish emotional support about your material life because you done have any money.

I could go on but I dont think there is anyone else here with a scientific background that are understanding what I am saying. Because to me when you talk about the "point of life" and your convosation centres around "money and careers" it just shows to me you are at a pretty far behind in the scheme of things. You need to read more. Idk. I'd reccomend starting at Richard Dawkins, as a easy lead in.

SID
03-12-2010, 09:11 AM
"Human Conciousness" is an illusion to help us survive and re produce.

I stopped reading after this.

Uncle Steezo
03-12-2010, 02:00 PM
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd116/STYLEMASTERR/lacey-wall.png

noel411
03-12-2010, 04:53 PM
Jesus this Noel characters posts are so fucking bland I swear the man can write 1000 words and not make any particular point about anything. If your gonna write all that much put some goddam substance to it, that whole post could of been written in one sentence the rest of it as just some wish washy prozac induced nonsense that really didnt need typing out.

He's like a Dawson's Creek rejected character idea.

Life isnt about being happy, we are driven by our subconcious and free will is an illusion. We are just another organism programmed and directed by our DNA at a level you could not comprehend. "Human Conciousness" is an illusion to help us survive and re produce. "Money and careers" is such a trivial aspect of anything -This isnt KTL. Go to an emotional life support group or something.

Human brains though have evolved to a point where the survival of the speices is supported by a quest for knowledge that can be passed down and expanded upon. This is different from all other animals on the planet. This is the true debate not some faggish emotional support about your material life because you done have any money.

I could go on but I dont think there is anyone else here with a scientific background that are understanding what I am saying. Because to me when you talk about the "point of life" and your convosation centres around "money and careers" it just shows to me you are at a pretty far behind in the scheme of things. You need to read more. Idk. I'd reccomend starting at Richard Dawkins, as a easy lead in.
It's funny how every single time I post a thread you flock to it to tell me how painful it is to read my posts. You must really enjoy punishing yourself.

What's even funnier is the fact that you've just indicated that you think you're mentally superior to everybody else here, and yet in the past you admitted to wearing a WWMMD (What Would Method Man Do?) band on your wrist. What could be more ridiculous than this? And I know I keep going back to the whole WWMMD thing every time you make a pitiful, unprovoked attack on me (ie. every time I post a thread on here), but that is because your admission to being influenced in your actions by your rapping heroes makes everything you say instantly dismissable and voids any chance of me ever taking you seriously. Actually the fact that you even look up to rappers combined with the picture I have seen of you erase any possibility of me ever taking you seriously.

If you don't like my threads then stay out of them. There was a decent discussion going on here and despite what you no doubt believe, you have contributed absolutely nothing to it with your post. You're just a foolish and impressionable kid who has read a few science books and taken every word of them as the indisputable truth and gained a false and unwarranted sense of superiority at the same time. You have merely turned a mature and sensible discussion sour, with your childish hostility and repeated pitiful attempts to bring people down from the safety of your keyboard.

TeknicelStylez
03-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Money like Air it Ain't Shit Till You Ain't Gettin Any

snapple
03-14-2010, 01:59 PM
career and money are the foundation of my happiness. i get satisfaction knowing that i'm good at what i do. it boosts my confidence tremendously. it feels good to be acknowledged and respected for something positive.

money is essential. you need money to survive i never undstood why some people are like "i dont need money." growing up i have never ever heard anyone ever say that.

i wouldn't mind being very wealthy, but its not a goal of mine. if it doesn't happen then im still good. but without money i could not do the things i need to do to keep my happiness. having more money gives you more options and more control of your life. it feels good to have money.