PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol in the three monotheistic religions

Hellspawn
04-02-2010, 05:20 AM
From the Bible :

And do not get drunk with wine, for that is debauchery, but be filled with the Spirit. (Ephesians 5:18)

For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit while yet in his mother's womb. (Luke 1: 15)

Let us behave properly as in the day, not in carousing and drunkenness, not in sexual promiscuity and sensuality, not in strife and jealousy. (Romans 13: 13)

Nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. (1 Corinthians 6:10)

They must give up wine and other alcoholic drinks. They must not use vinegar made from wine or from other alcoholic drinks, they must not drink fresh grape juice, and they must not eat grapes or raisins. (Numbers 6 :3)

From the Torah :

Who has woe? Who has sorrow? Who has contentions? Who has complaining? Who has wounds without cause? Who He has redness of eyes. (Proverbs 23: 29)

It is not for kings, O Lemuel, to guzzle wine. Rulers should not crave alcohol. For if they drink, they may forget the law and not give justice to the oppressed. (Proverbs 31: 4, 31: 5)

From the Qur'an :

O you who believe! alcohol and games of chance and (sacrificing to) stones and (dividing by) arrows are only an uncleanness, Satan's work; shun it therefore that you may be successful. (Al Maida 91)

They ask you about alcohol and gambling : say, "In them there is a gross sin... (Al Bakara 219)

Discuss...

Frank Sobotka
04-02-2010, 06:33 AM
In the darkages beer was the only thing people drank in europe, the water was unsafe IIRC so that's why they ignored it.

Mumm Ra
04-02-2010, 07:22 AM
all i know is im glad i don't follow said religions
i didn't know god didn't want us to eat grapes tho - that's new to me

diggy
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
The verse about not eating grapes was taken out of context.

It starts like this:

Num 6:2:

"If a man or woman wants to make a special vow, a vow of separation to the lord as a Nazirite, he must abstain from..."

Assassinator
04-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Fuck alcohol... this is coming from an ex alcoholic... that shit is the most addictive drug

LORD NOSE
04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
echo that

Shogah
04-04-2010, 05:44 PM
there must be some rational explanation like for not eating pork, i mean we all know what alcohol can do to you but smoking is also bad for lungs and they smoke too...

that verse written there in quran gives absolutely no explanation, of course its because god said so for the believers, but those things usually have some rational foundation too.

Mumm Ra
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
i agree that alcoholics can be the worst kind of people
i hate dealing with them
my father was one so i know all too well
but any type of addiction isn't good

WARPATH
04-04-2010, 08:39 PM
The reservations if filled with alcoholics. Back when I use to drive the water truck I had to deal with them daily. Alcoholism starts at a young age here.

I will tell you why alcohol and most drugs are bad, you can take it as ramblings of a superstitious native, or one of the hidden jewelz you find on the net.....

If you die while under the influence, you will be lost between this world and the next. You will be able to see both but you won't be able to get back to either. Think about it how will you know your dead if your drunk off your ass when you die? You won't, you stay like that until someone you know can come get you.

Prolifical ENG
04-04-2010, 09:14 PM
There are many people that should stay clear of alcohol.

Years ago I learned to enjoy more and drink less.

Mumm Ra
04-04-2010, 09:20 PM
^ i learned that in the last year/ two hehe
i like the taste of beer besides the effect it gives
ill have a six pack a couple weekends a month now

A Dean Of Virus
04-04-2010, 09:25 PM
ironically, alcohol is just like religion. It was a necessity back in the day, but now it's a tool for profiting off other people's insecurities.

Prolifical ENG
04-04-2010, 09:41 PM
^ i learned that in the last year/ two hehe
i like the taste of beer besides the effect it gives
ill have a six pack a couple weekends a month now

Yes, when you have an alcoholic beverage of good quality, your nose and tongue will get jaded way sooner than the alcohol renders you insensible.

If you have the good stuff and are an alcoholic, you will then become an alcoholic with serious financial issues. However, sometimes the amount you are spending limits how you choose to drink. Saying that, drinking better stuff isnt a good alternative to people with drinking problems. Thats like someone trying to break their cigarette smoking habit and putting themselves onto cigars.

DiGitalChamberz
04-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Henny n Juice for me!

Tecknowledgist
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
tbh i was always under the impression that jesus drank wine

damn

this seriously cripples my faith. im having spiritual turmoil now because of this thread

DiGitalChamberz
04-04-2010, 11:00 PM
didnt he say eat drink n beat Marry? wait... do i have that right???