PDA

View Full Version : Why does it seem like everyone is a coward?

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-18-2010, 01:07 AM
No one stands up for anything. Their beliefs, their virtues, their family, others who can't stand up for themselves... the list goes on, but I find it amazing that someone with enough balls to do the right thing is a considered a hero these days. I'm not saying it doesn't take guts, because it does, but its a fucked up society that the average person can't even do that.

I realized that I need to be those people. Not so that people would admire me, I don't want that, but we seriously need a societal change. I look at myself and I see a sinning piece of shit like everybody else and that's fine, but it gets tiring that I never go that extra mile. I might advise against an action, but then I go right back to being a sheep and let other people make decisions even when it's clear I'm the smartest and most moral person in the room.

I want people to think about that. This isn't one of those bullshit "I have a theory about random acts of kindness" type things that every dead high schooler seems to have originated, I'm talking about real shit. I'm talking about not letting yourself be a cog. Every being in the universe can understand right from wrong. The right thing is universal. So why are people so weak we can't just fucking do that? Why do we have to take the "easy way" when the hard way is bound to find you?

RzaRectum
04-18-2010, 01:23 AM
You're right. People aren't standing up for enough these days. People are losing their rights in this country, because they don't even know what their legal rights consist of. Cops count on your ignorance and tend to overstep their boundaries when you get pulled over.

In addition, it seems that everyone wants to fit in or somehow avoid looking like a jerk. I feel in part this is due to social networking on the internet. Their friends and coworkers can see how they respond to certain things and I believe this influences how they behave, because of their awareness to a possible backlash for their actions. We've seen people on the news getting fired over myspace comments, publicized incidents, and even relationship scandals.

What are you referring to in particular?

Living-jism
04-18-2010, 01:30 AM
People have too much to lose...

anyway, didn't all the commies fags all get cussed off the forum?

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-18-2010, 01:44 AM
You're right. People aren't standing up for enough these days. People are losing their rights in this country, because they don't even know what their legal rights consist of. Cops count on your ignorance and tend to overstep their boundaries when you get pulled over.

In addition, it seems that everyone wants to fit in or somehow avoid looking like a jerk. I feel in part this is due to social networking on the internet. Their friends and coworkers can see how they respond to certain things and I believe this influences how they behave, because of their awareness to a possible backlash for their actions. We've seen people on the news getting fired over myspace comments, publicized incidents, and even relationship scandals.

What are you referring to in particular?

Like I was tempted to steal today and then I've thought of all the shit that's happened when I've done it before. Sometimes I get caught, sometimes I don't but I always feel awful when i do something wrong. I know that if I do things immoral in the future it's still going to eat at me. The best way to make that sort of apprehension go away is to get fucked up, and i don't want to spend my life numbing my pain. I want to feel good even if it hurts to do so.

Or it was some sort of gay rights day of silence the other day, and I was talking shit about gays the entire day. Now I'm actually pretty tolerant of people, but there I am talking shit about people like they're not human. I can be an ass to people. My heart isn't in touch with the person I project because I'm scared of being a good person because that would be different. I always try to tell myself I don't care what people think, but if I'm acting out and being "different" its always with the intent to please someone else or lie to myself. That's not healthy.

Like I said people are like "random acts of kindness can change the world" but that's not really true. It's people who don't give a fuck about consequences and are willing to stand up for what they know (and believe me everyone knows) is right. Look at America. Snitching is looked on as the bad guy? Maybe you shouldn't be doing what's immoral? Don't sell hard drugs to kids or hurt people with violence. But we shouldn't hide when we do the right thing. If the dealers or whatever the problem is (its a rap forum, im going there) threaten you, stand up and say you aren't afraid of them. Sure you are, but if you take the stand they've already lost. Ideas are stronger then actions. If one person stands it means they've lost.

RzaRectum
04-18-2010, 01:46 AM
^That pretty much sums up most of it.

Also, people are becoming more selfish, which means they won't look out for others as much. The world needs more heros in a place where you have to saviour-self.

RzaRectum
04-18-2010, 01:58 AM
Like I was tempted to steal today and then I've thought of all the shit that's happened when I've done it before. Sometimes I get caught, sometimes I don't but I always feel awful when i do something wrong. I know that if I do things immoral in the future it's still going to eat at me. The best way to make that sort of apprehension go away is to get fucked up, and i don't want to spend my life numbing my pain. I want to feel good even if it hurts to do so.

Or it was some sort of gay rights day of silence the other day, and I was talking shit about gays the entire day. Now I'm actually pretty tolerant of people, but there I am talking shit about people like they're not human. I can be an ass to people. My heart isn't in touch with the person I project because I'm scared of being a good person because that would be different. I always try to tell myself I don't care what people think, but if I'm acting out and being "different" its always with the intent to please someone else or lie to myself. That's not healthy.

Like I said people are like "random acts of kindness can change the world" but that's not really true. It's people who don't give a fuck about consequences and are willing to stand up for what they know (and believe me everyone knows) is right. Look at America.

Snitching is looked on as the bad guy? Maybe you shouldn't be doing what's immoral? Don't sell hard drugs to kids or hurt people with violence. But we shouldn't hide when we do the right thing. If the dealers or whatever the problem is (its a rap forum, im going there) threaten you, stand up and say you aren't afraid of them. Sure you are, but if you take the stand they've already lost. Ideas are stronger then actions. If one person stands it means they've lost.

Wait. You're post sounds like you are referring to yourself in a lot of ways. Is this some way of vocalizing you wish this change in yourself?

Snitching goes against the code of the streets. People get offended when people NOT of the streets don't adhere to it. Two different worlds that follow different rules.

But I disagree with standing up to drug dealers, unless you want to run the risk of getting shot with unsupported seeds left at home. If you're not from the street, it's not worth it. You should back down for the safety of your family. Find another way. The heroism should be (in that case) reserved people aggravated enough to do something about it or somehow in a better position to create the change.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-18-2010, 01:58 AM
What pisses me off too are people who pretend to be doing this shit and aren't. You see all these young people in these groups to save this or help that and its like why don't you sit down for a minute and look for the problem, not the symptoms. You have college kids doing charity work to get some action...

What the hell does that help?

EAGLE EYE
04-18-2010, 02:04 AM
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/art-talk/jonathan-meese

hmmmm

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-18-2010, 02:09 AM
Wait. You're post sounds like you are referring to yourself in a lot of ways. Is this some way of vocalizing you wish this change in yourself?

Snitching goes against the code of the streets. People get offended when people NOT of the streets don't adhere to it. Two different worlds that follow different rules.

But I disagree with standing up to drug dealers, unless you want to run the risk of getting shot with unsupported seeds left at home. If you're not from the street, it's not worth it. You should back down for the safety of your family. Find another way. The heroism should be (in that case) reserved people aggravated enough to do something about it or somehow in a better position to create the change.

Yeah. I see myself as part of the problem as I've been living and now I'm thinking I need to change. I've had half assed thoughts about this before and it never goes anywhere. I've thought to myself "all my friends are falling apart and falling out" and i don't want that to happen. Its like we've totally lost the common ground that made us such a tight knit group of friends. No one has anyone's back any more. We never hang out as the whole group and we always talk about how X doesn't seem like he's really our friends when he's not there, but none of us take the time to see we're equally guilty.

It's like all we care about is getting fucked up, getting bitches (that's part of the problem too), and having a good time. But that's neither sustainable or good.

And there aren't different laws for different places. There is Right. And Wrong. I don't blame people for making the wrong choice but all this gray shit is false. You either fucked up or you did the right thing. If it hurt someone and you can't justify how it actually helps them you made a mistake. The streets are the same as anywhere else.

I think that its better to die doing what is right in the universal sense then to carry on doing what's wrong. How do we stop something evil if we wouldn't give our lives for it. Sure it hurts our family, but is our family safe even if we submit? We're all family. If someone else dies because i didn't act aren't I responsible for that? There is no sacrifice too great for true justice. People will remember "That man died for something" and they will be better for that and there kids will be better for that and ever on.

RzaRectum
04-18-2010, 02:11 AM
What pisses me off too are people who pretend to be doing this shit and aren't. You see all these young people in these groups to save this or help that and its like why don't you sit down for a minute and look for the problem, not the symptoms. You have college kids doing charity work to get some action...

What the hell does that help?

There are college kids who travel abroad to their native countries to care for the sick and feed the poor. That is one way of helping out. People might criticize that you only feed a man for a day with this type of logic, but I don't see them doing anything to contribute. Whats more, people need to be taken care of sometimes. It doesn't hurt to do that.

RzaRectum
04-18-2010, 02:22 AM
Yeah. I see myself as part of the problem as I've been living and now I'm thinking I need to change. I've had half assed thoughts about this before and it never goes anywhere. I've thought to myself "all my friends are falling apart and falling out" and i don't want that to happen. Its like we've totally lost the common ground that made us such a tight knit group of friends. No one has anyone's back any more. We never hang out as the whole group and we always talk about how X doesn't seem like he's really our friends when he's not there, but none of us take the time to see we're equally guilty.

It's like all we care about is getting fucked up, getting bitches (that's part of the problem too), and having a good time. But that's neither sustainable or good.

And there aren't different laws for different places. There is Right. And Wrong. I don't blame people for making the wrong choice but all this gray shit is false. You either fucked up or you did the right thing. If it hurt someone and you can't justify how it actually helps them you made a mistake. The streets are the same as anywhere else.

I think that its better to die doing what is right in the universal sense then to carry on doing what's wrong. How do we stop something evil if we wouldn't give our lives for it. Sure it hurts our family, but is our family safe even if we submit? We're all family. If someone else dies because i didn't act aren't I responsible for that? There is no sacrifice too great for true justice. People will remember "That man died for something" and they will be better for that and there kids will be better for that and ever on.

I didn't say different laws. I said different rules. Those rules are governed by your own personal values. The two worlds paradigm simply reflects where your values lie between the two.

If someone else dies because i didn't act aren't I responsible for that?
People feel guilty for this, but you can not hold yourself responsible for the acts of someone else.

It's like feeling guilty when someone threatens to kill THEIRSELF if you don't do something.
FUCK THAT.. You're not the one killing them. They make their own decisions and they need to take on their own responsibilities for their own health.

People will remember "That man died for something" and they will be better for that and there kids will be better for that and ever on.
Dying for something worthy is the ultimate gift. Obviously it is reserved for a select few.

EAGLE EYE
04-18-2010, 02:23 AM
http://www.vbs.tv/watch/art-talk/jonathan-meese

hmmmm

hmmmmmm I just don't get "it"

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/people/images/roger_ebert2.jpg

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-18-2010, 02:25 AM
But those people realized what I'm trying to realize. That we have to exist for others not ourselves. To be selfish is to hate others more then yourself, not to love yourself more then others. But we can't do that, because if we actually hate others it is because we hate ourselves.

And Jon Meese is pretty interesting Robbie. I don't really agree with him because he's too nihilistic. I think there is right and wrong. He thinks nothing is anything and everything is neutral. I'll have to ponder how what he says effects my thoughts. But then I think his paintings were crap because he just does them without any conscious thought. He just paints. I like paintings that combine realism with a message. I find photography more visceral then him "playing". I like looking at a picture of something real and thinking about it. He can create fantasy, but I like reality even if reality is tough.

EAGLE EYE
04-18-2010, 02:33 AM
Well I'm open to all of this.

WuCorp is a beautiful decay.

RzaRectum
04-18-2010, 02:33 AM
But those people realized what I'm trying to realize. That we have to exist for others not ourselves. To be selfish is to hate others more then yourself, not to love yourself more then others. But we can't do that, because if we actually hate others it is because we hate ourselves.

And Jon Meese is pretty interesting Robbie. I don't really agree with him because he's too nihilistic. I think there is right and wrong. He thinks nothing is anything and everything is neutral. I'll have to ponder how what he says effects my thoughts. But then I think his paintings were crap because he just does them without any conscious thought. He just paints. I like paintings that combine realism with a message. I find photography more visceral then him "playing". I like looking at a picture of something real and thinking about it. He can create fantasy, but I like reality even if reality is tough.

My nigga, this is the message. Do you not realize you can get rich by serving the needs of others? Look at anyone and with a little analysis, you can see how.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-18-2010, 02:34 AM
I didn't say different laws. I said different rules. Those rules are governed by your own personal values. The two worlds paradigm simply reflects where your values lie between the two.

How is letting someone get away with rape because he's your "friend" or letting someone hurt people while you do nothing ever ok. I'm not saying you should go to hell, but you have to acknowledge that the wrong thing is alway wrong.

If someone else dies because i didn't act aren't I responsible for that?
People feel guilty for this, but you can not hold yourself responsible for the acts of someone else.

It's like feeling guilty when someone threatens to kill THEIRSELF if you don't do something.
FUCK THAT.. You're not the one killing them. They make their own decisions and they need to take on their own responsibilities for their own health.

But why do we feel guilty when someone else dies? That has to mean something. I'm not saying it's not their fault, but we all have to share the faults of each other.

People will remember "That man died for something" and they will be better for that and there kids will be better for that and ever on.
Dying for something worthy is the ultimate gift. Obviously it is reserved for a select few.

No one should have to die for anything except the call of nature or its random acts. But we should all be willing to die to do what is right. There is no relativism. Do I blame someone for not doing something? No. But I would blame myself and they should too. The criminal needs to repent too. When everyone is done feeling sorry then the balance is restored.

AcidPhosphate69
04-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Boarzy, you can't have the good with out the bad. Decide which part of the spectrum you belong and how close to the gray area you wish to live. That is all.

Living-jism
04-18-2010, 09:13 PM
What can we do? It seems working within the system is pointless, eventually you becomes it. People who have the guts to violently chanllenge the state can easily be put down as crazy by the mass media etc.

Maybe it's down to the third world to over throw our tyranny?

Huggasaurus Sex
04-18-2010, 09:15 PM
it has strongly to do with the fact that you and a chimpanzee share an ancestor.

BLACK BART SIMPSON
04-18-2010, 09:21 PM
if u stop being a pussy this "guilty" feeling won't happen...(it's true)

diggy
04-18-2010, 09:35 PM
I notice cowardly actions around me too. I had a problem at work a few years ago with somebody one time which heated up into a loud disrespectful argument which could be heard down hallways. I told the boss about it and some coworkers.

The boss said according to the union agreement he couldn't do much and wanted to move me to another floor instead (cowardly). I've also learned that the person I had a problem wit was disrespectful to another person who took the abuse for about a year to my surprise and did not even speak up for himself (cowardly).

So I started thinking, if that person dealt wit the perpetrator, then I would not have to deal wit it.

I am one of the few people who speak up for myself at work and when some people want to talk to the boss sometimes they ask me to speak to him for them. I don't do it though.

RzaRectum
04-19-2010, 12:57 AM
I am one of the few people who speak up for myself at work and when some people want to talk to the boss sometimes they ask me to speak to him for them. I don't do it though.

Maybe you should start. You could get your chops on networking yourself to the next level if people see you as stronger in character.

diggy
04-19-2010, 01:07 AM
I try to encourage them to speak up for themselves and I tell them what to say. I feel it is time for them to grow up that's why I won't do it. If they are a child that is different.

I just wonder why it seems some are so scared all the time.

Just yesterday a cowerker told me she was fishing and she caught alot of fish to eat - one after the other- but she noticed someone watching her, so she put the fish back into the water. I thought that was pathetic. Wth is that?

Nothing illegal was done. It was just irrational fear. So what if someone saw her. Who cares.

Huggasaurus Sex
04-19-2010, 07:51 AM
we're social creatures so our thoughts and actions are determined in large part by what others do. if that means people are cowards then we shouldn't expect people to behave bravely any more than we expect them to use their free time more constructively than poasting on a website's forum.

snapple
04-19-2010, 12:03 PM
all you can do is be you....and when the time comes you do whats right.....

RzaRectum
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
I try to encourage them to speak up for themselves and I tell them what to say. I feel it is time for them to grow up that's why I won't do it. If they are a child that is different.

I just wonder why it seems some are so scared all the time.

Just yesterday a cowerker told me she was fishing and she caught alot of fish to eat - one after the other- but she noticed someone watching her, so she put the fish back into the water. I thought that was pathetic. Wth is that?

Nothing illegal was done. It was just irrational fear. So what if someone saw her. Who cares.

The greatest among you shall be your servant.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-19-2010, 03:30 PM
Boarzy, you can't have the good with out the bad. Decide which part of the spectrum you belong and how close to the gray area you wish to live. That is all.

Well I think we all have the potential to be on some saintly level if everyone committed to it. We only bring out negativity because other people introduce us to it. Like I wake up say perfectly happy and you bitch at me I've now got negative introduced to my day, I pass that on and it gets worse for someone else. But if someone was nice to me I'd be nice to others and they'd be nicer and if it kept going long enough we'd all get on the first saintly person's level. But it hasn't worked because people haven't tried that on a large enough scale to counter out the bad.

What can we do? It seems working within the system is pointless, eventually you becomes it. People who have the guts to violently chanllenge the state can easily be put down as crazy by the mass media etc.

Maybe it's down to the third world to over throw our tyranny?

Its not about being gutsy and violently challenge the state. That's the opposite of what I'm saying. I'm saying that people should stand up for themselves and take whatever they are given. Christ on the Cross is the example. Martin Luther King is the Example. Gandhi is the example. These men died rather then fight back. They absorbed the negativity and defeated it that way. As a result those who had hurt them felt wrongly about it. That's how you make change. You take all the abuse in the world and you say "I love you anyway."

it has strongly to do with the fact that you and a chimpanzee share an ancestor.

Just because we have an animal nature doesn't mean we can't change for the better.

if u stop being a pussy this "guilty" feeling won't happen...(it's true)

No, it still happens, but you lie your way out of it to yourself. To not feel guilty for a trespass is showing the cowardice of not owning up to your wrongs.

I notice cowardly actions around me too. I had a problem at work a few years ago with somebody one time which heated up into a loud disrespectful argument which could be heard down hallways. I told the boss about it and some coworkers.

The boss said according to the union agreement he couldn't do much and wanted to move me to another floor instead (cowardly). I've also learned that the person I had a problem wit was disrespectful to another person who took the abuse for about a year to my surprise and did not even speak up for himself (cowardly).

So I started thinking, if that person dealt wit the perpetrator, then I would not have to deal wit it.

You should stand up for others though. Help those who can't help themselves.

Longbongcilvaringz
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM
I agree, we should fight for what is right.

I would join you, but i wouldn't want to get my hands dirty.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-19-2010, 03:40 PM
I don't think you'd get your hands dirty by being nice to people (especially those you don't like) kill them with kindness. It's a personal thing, not a movement. I don't think I can change the world with this. There's too much hate. But it would lighten a mood that's getting darker and darker. Rome's about to fall, but I don't want it to fall on me.

Longbongcilvaringz
04-19-2010, 03:49 PM
I mean literally.

Dealing with these underlings could sully the hands.

Otherwise, i'd be happy to assist those less fortunate.

diggy
04-19-2010, 03:56 PM
The greatest among you shall be your servant.

Thanks

You should stand up for others though. Help those who can't help themselves.

I feel you. Sometimes when things are just outlandishly wrong, I take their cause up as mine. But when it's some petty stuff, I encourage them and tell them what to do.

Huggasaurus Sex
04-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Just because we have an animal nature doesn't mean we can't change for the better.

well it means we can't all change for the better and it means that "better" often comes into conflict with our animal nature to disastrous results. jesus's teachings produced the spanish inquisition; marx's proclamations led to the soviet gulag; nietzcshe's writings inspired the nazi holocaust. the reason these grand social experiments failed has less to do with individual cowardice than it does our collective arrogance in forever believing we can overcome our animal nature.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
04-20-2010, 10:02 AM
No, I'm pretty sure the actual teachings of Jesus would have prevented those things. It's the whole "religious thing" and power lust that caused those events. People listened to corrupt or misinformed priests instead of reading the bible themselves. Also the Old Testament shouldn't be read with the New Testament. They're very different in their teachings. I have trouble viewing it as one big idea. The Old testament is at best source material to understand why Jesus taught what he taught. Its' the old testament that is where all the violence comes from (not that Judaism is bad, but it's not the same idea) Judaism is a rule of law type religion. God makes rules. You break them you get fucked in this life and the next. Christianity is a religion of Peace.

Universal Peace cannot be created by Universal Law, but Universal Peace will create a state without the need for Law. You cannot really love someone and punish someone. Love is forgiving. Law does a wrong to equal a wrong. That doesn't solve the problem it promotes it.

Huggasaurus Sex
04-20-2010, 10:42 AM
well the people who led the inquisition were, at the time, among the most well-versed in jesus's teachings so i doubt a closer reading would've produced different results. and in contrast to the moral "cowards" you excoriate, these people were strongly principled. how else could you bring yourself to torture another person until they accepted jesus as lord and savior?