PDA

View Full Version : Election in November: California 1 Step Closer To Pot Legalization

Jin10304
04-20-2010, 06:23 AM
CA was the 1st state to legalize medical marijuana, in November if you can vote & support the cause, help make California the 1st state (I believe) to legalize weed without a medical excuse.

LOS ANGELES Most Americans still oppose legalizing marijuana but larger majorities believe pot has medical benefits and the government should allow its use for that purpose, according to an Associated Press-CNBC poll released Tuesday.

Respondents were skeptical that crime would spike if marijuana is decriminalized or that it would lead more people to harder drugs like heroin or cocaine. There also was a nearly even split on whether government spends too much or the right amount enforcing marijuana laws. Almost no one thinks too little is spent.

Marijuana use medically and recreationally is getting more attention in the political arena. California voters will decide in NOVEMBER whether to LEGALIZE the drug, and South Dakota will vote this fall on whether to allow medical uses. California and 13 other states already permit such use.

The balloting comes against the backdrop of the Obama administration saying it won't target marijuana dispensaries if they comply with state laws, a departure from the policy of the Bush administration, which sought to more stringently enforce the federal ban on marijuana use for any purpose.

In the poll, only 33 percent favor legalization while 55 percent oppose it. People under 30 were the only age group favoring legalization (54 percent) and opposition increased with age, topping out at 73 percent of those 65 and older. Opposition also was prevalent among women, Republicans and those in rural and suburban areas.

Some opponents worried legalization would lead to reefer madness.

"I think it would be chaos if it was legalized," said Shirley Williams, a 75-year-old retired English teacher from Quincy, Ill. "People would get in trouble and use marijuana as an excuse."

Those like Jeff Boggs, 25, of Visalia, Calif., who support legalization said the dangers associated with the drug have been overstated.

"People are scared about things they don't know about," said Boggs, who is married and works for an auto damage appraisal company.

Americans are more accepting of medical marijuana. Sixty percent support the idea and 74 percent believe the drug has a real medical benefit for some people. Two-thirds of Democrats favor medical marijuana as do a slim majority of Republicans, 53 percent.

Peoples' views on legalizing marijuana or on allowing its use for medicinal purposes were largely uniform across different regions of the country, despite the fact that legal medical marijuana use is concentrated in the West.

Bill Hankins, 77, of Mason, Mich., opposes legalizing marijuana but strongly favors using the drug medicinally. Michigan is among the states that allow medical pot.

"It has been shown through tests to alleviate pain in certain medical conditions," said Hankins, who said he experimented with pot when he was younger. If Hankins fell gravely ill and "my doctor said I should have it to control the pain, I would use it," he said.

California was the first state to approve medical marijuana, in 1996, and has been the hub of the so-called "Green Rush" to legalize marijuana. But a patchwork of local laws in the state has created confusion about the law and lax oversight led to an explosion of medical marijuana dispensaries in some places.

In Los Angeles, the number of dispensaries exploded from four to upward of 1,000 in the past five years. Police believe some were nothing but fronts for drug dealers to sell marijuana to people who have no medical need, and the city recently adopted an ordinance to reduce that number to 70 in coming months.

Among those surveyed, 45 percent said the cost of enforcing existing laws is too high and 48 percent said it's about right. Democrats, men and young people were most apt to say the cost is exorbitant.

With state and local governments desperate for cash, some legalization proponents are pushing marijuana as a potential revenue stream. But only 14 percent of those surveyed who oppose legalization would change their mind if states were to tax the drug.

John Lovell, a spokesman with the California Narcotics Officers' Association, said he wasn't surprised by the poll results because people already are aware of widespread abuse of legal prescription drugs and alcohol.

"Given that reality, we don't need to add another mind-altering substance that compromises people's five senses," Lovell said.

Allen St. Pierre, executive director of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws, said that, since the organization was formed in 1970, there's been a slow but steady erosion of opposition to marijuana.

"Every single metric is pushing toward a zeitgeist in marijuana reform," he said.

Ann Broadus, 58, of Petros, Tenn., strongly opposes legalization and medicinal use, but even she sees the day when the laws will change.

"Probably somewhere down the road it will be legalized, but I hope not," she said. "I think if it becomes legal, these druggies would be worse off."

The AP-CNBC Poll was conducted April 7-12, 2010, by GfK Roper Public Affairs and Media. It involved interviews with 1,001 adults nationwide on landline and cellular telephones. It had a margin of sampling error of plus or minus 4.3 percentage points.

Crackhead Bob
04-20-2010, 06:38 AM
Booooooooooooooooo

PALEFORCE
04-20-2010, 06:40 AM
yea!!!!!!!!!

they just legalaized mdicinal marijuana in maryland last week or so

whats that like 15 states now?

Crackhead Bob
04-20-2010, 06:45 AM
You retards seem to think this is a good thing. Wait til the government gets it's grubby hands on this and starts regulating everything. You think they will allow commercial growers to just sell their product without taking a big wet bite out of their ass? I don't think so. This will only lead to pathetic weed, with chemical additives.

Jin10304
04-20-2010, 06:57 AM
/\ As if anyone is going to buy government weed like that. If anything, people will still buy from their local drug dealers to avoid tax and any special additives/shitty weed your talking about. All this will do is create a easier business for local drug dealers & allow public smoking (minus indoors of course)

Crackhead Bob
04-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Once the government gets in, they kill all competition. I know you don't understand and probably never will.

Huggasaurus Sex
04-20-2010, 07:01 AM
it's the only sensible thing to do. california desperately needs tax revenues and a reduction in its prison population.

Jin10304
04-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Local drug dealers will still be available across the country (hopefully if) this passes in November. There will be many ways to avoid paying the weed tax, they wont disappear

Huggasaurus Sex
04-20-2010, 07:24 AM
instead of paying a tax you'll be paying a delivery charge

Jin10304
04-20-2010, 07:29 AM
The same dealer I have now while its still illegal is going to be the same one I go to beyond November. Therefore when I can literally walk to his house, I avoid tax and delivery charges, problem solved and no extra $ spent.

Crackhead Bob
04-20-2010, 07:42 AM
Until the government busts down his door because they hate competition.

Jin10304
04-20-2010, 07:44 AM
how will they know he/she even sells weed? It would take too much time to individually seek out who sells/grows weed if this is passed in November. The dealers will have nothing to worry about

Crackhead Bob
04-20-2010, 08:01 AM
Patriot act you fucking dumbass

Jin10304
04-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Talk in code you fucking dumbass

TSA
04-20-2010, 08:12 AM
beautiful rock. shut up dude lol

i know in nebraska it's 500 dollars a day to keep a prisoner in jail, cali is probably a lot more, but if we can get everyone in there for weed related shit out it will free up the budget.

GhettoGnom
04-20-2010, 08:32 AM
Rofl @ dumb americans not realizing their country needs taxes to be a decent place to live.

The more egotistical people's mindstates are, the more the public as a whole suffers. FACT.

Huggasaurus Sex
04-20-2010, 09:00 AM
keep reading our news stories norway

GhettoGnom
04-20-2010, 09:26 AM
keep reading our news stories norway
Word, it keeps on reminding me how good we got it here ^^

Start reading Nigerian news or something, and you'll understand me a bit better :)

Huggasaurus Sex
04-20-2010, 09:54 AM
well you listen to american music and read our news stories everyday. we must be doing something right.

GhettoGnom
04-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Rofl @ reading your news stories everyday. Don't exaggerate now ^^

And yeaah, but I also listen to british, norwegian, swedish, australian (and so on) music. Doesn't really reflect my views on the different countries.

But sure, never said you was all that bad :)

SKAMPOE
04-20-2010, 11:34 AM
You retards seem to think this is a good thing. Wait til the government gets it's grubby hands on this and starts regulating everything. You think they will allow commercial growers to just sell their product without taking a big wet bite out of their ass? I don't think so. This will only lead to pathetic weed, with chemical additives.
true indeed, but one thjing differs.....i can grow ma own, 2 plants will suffice me...masxd

Longbongcilvaringz
04-20-2010, 01:51 PM

Your problem is you so stridently label everyone as an idiot, while projecting your ill thought out and ironically idiotic ideas.

If weed was legal, what would stop people growing it at home?

How would the government become involved in this?

Fucking retard.

EAGLE EYE
04-20-2010, 02:05 PM
You can make moonshine, bath tub gin or brew your own beer at home.

People are just lazy and don't want to take the time. I could see less potent bud becoming the social norm just like light beer is in the U.S.

LoTec
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
true indeed, but one thjing differs.....i can grow ma own, 2 plants will suffice me...

You can do that now, your only in danger of getting busted if your electricity bill is crazy high. But if you just want to grow two plants at a time that doesnt take that much wattage.

Imo noone will probly buy from street vendors if its legal cuz corparations will start selling it and push everyone else out of biz. Unless ofcourse its shitty weed that might save the little guys but I dont it would be shitty weed. Full of adictives probly but shitty probly not.

Im in favor of legalization mainly so people wont go to jail and hemp can start being used more. But jail is a big biz that would be hurt be legalization and there are many industies that would be hurt by hemp products. so I dont see it happening anytime soon nation wide, plus without locking up weed smokers the goverment couldnt justify there huge war on drugs budget cuz there arent enough meth coke and heroin users out there.

Huggasaurus Sex
04-20-2010, 02:56 PM
You can make moonshine, bath tub gin or brew your own beer at home.

People are just lazy and don't want to take the time. I could see less potent bud becoming the social norm just like light beer is in the U.S.

i could see tsa chilling at a party sipping on some kind of wild orchid wine cooler and smoking a skinny blueberry yum yum light

SKAMPOE
04-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Your problem is you so stridently label everyone as an idiot, while projecting your ill thought out and ironically idiotic ideas.

If weed was legal, what would stop people growing it at home?

How would the government become involved in this?

Fucking retard.
hey thats what i said....but yea, i can grow ma own shit and fuck the govmt, i just dont wanna get raided again by the dea n atf

ALCATRAZ
04-20-2010, 03:48 PM
brock who cares if they regulate the prices street dealers will still be around but more importantly think of all the young ghetto youth that will be able to breathe freely knowing that a half a zip of dro can no longer constitute their third strike which would send them to prison FO LIFE...

Longbongcilvaringz
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
lol.

Yeah, look at all the CRAZY GOVERNMENT CHEMICALS in wine!!

And all the MIND CONTROLLING SUBSTANCES in Scotch Whiskey.

Yeah, i can just see it now, THE GOVERNMENT is going to RULE THE WORLD!!!! via MARI JOO WANNA!!!!!

Rollo
04-20-2010, 08:40 PM
You can make moonshine

No, you can't.
In KY and Tenn. people get busted for moonshining even today.
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=115556&provider=rss
It is illegal to operate your own distillery without the approval of the state and filing for certain taxes.

LOL@Norway being a good place to live. Boring, boring, boring, uncultured, uninteresting, goofy ass people. I might as well go to Canada.
Western Europe sucks ass. A bunch of pedophile, drunken, inbred, crooked toothed losers who spend their time boinking scuzzy Eastern European hookers and going to bars...
Italians in particular are just smelly ass animals.
(By that I mean actual Italians, not people of Italian heritage living in the states or abroad)

I really hope everything from Poland to the UK catches fire one day.

Ah... well, let the arabs worry about that.

Anyway, I think even if it's legalized on a national level there will still be growing restrictions.
And there should be.
My problem with dealers is the same problem I have with prostitution, it creates a permanent underclass of people who work for an organization out of coercion.
I remember the Mexican Mafia up here had a bunch of illegals who were making meth around the clock on lock and key....
Shitty people....

If it were just the yuppies wanting to smoke weed like when they were kids I wouldn't care but that's not what is happening across this country anymore.
It'd be nice if our politicians gave a shit enough to close the border and actually see who's coming into this country, but they don't.

SKAMPOE
04-20-2010, 08:44 PM
cR2sWmA35iU&feature=player_embedded#!

EAGLE EYE
04-20-2010, 10:08 PM
No, you can't.
In KY and Tenn. people get busted for moonshining even today.
http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=115556&provider=rss
It is illegal to operate your own distillery without the approval of the state and filing for certain taxes.

I don't care if they get busted, that's not what I was getting at. They still do it.

Longbongcilvaringz
04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
You American's are so blinded by your fear of government that you actually want to boycott cheaper and better weed.

A huge portion of the cost of weed is risk. You can grow great bud outdoors for a measly cost.

That being said, i can't remember which rapper said it but 'fuck legalisation, keep the money on the street' or something like that.

I agree.

Huggasaurus Sex
04-21-2010, 05:27 AM
beautiful rock should feel honored that his opinions, pulled straight from his own ass, has some poor aussie kid thinking all americans are wimpering, paranoid idiots.

Visionz
04-21-2010, 05:38 AM
Like what's happened with beer?? I see it being regulated like alcohol but I don't see the government holding a monopoly on it. Taxed the shit out of, yes. But this isn't tobacco and doesn't need all the bullshit tampering.

GhettoGnom
04-21-2010, 07:24 AM
LOL@Norway being a good place to live. Boring, boring, boring, uncultured, uninteresting, goofy ass people. I might as well go to Canada.
Western Europe sucks ass. A bunch of pedophile, drunken, inbred, crooked toothed losers who spend their time boinking scuzzy Eastern European hookers and going to bars...
Italians in particular are just smelly ass animals.
(By that I mean actual Italians, not people of Italian heritage living in the states or abroad)

I really hope everything from Poland to the UK catches fire one day.

Ah... well, let the arabs worry about that.

Rofl, got ourselves a smart one here, huh?