PDA

View Full Version : The Pixies are quite possibly the best band ever

SID
05-03-2010, 02:02 PM
They gave birth to the grunge scene first off, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, they all recognize the influence the Pixies had on their music, especially Kurt.

But damn, the music, wow.

Bossanova is one of the best albums i can think of right now, particually in terms of Alternative, I mean It's right up there with Aenima and unknown pleasures for me.

jYUm5T8uQIY
HIAQQvf5qYo
WOn_80y8Peg
a4_x7_1GurY

Come on Pilgrim is an awesome album also. As is all their albums tbh.

crTZ7Ier5JE
Ir4iDEmSrg8

Longbongcilvaringz
05-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Yeah, they're great.

Even their albums which i don't dig as much, like Trompe Le Monde, have great tracks.

Where is My Mind is probably my favourite joint, amongst many great jawns.

gGXdXcpNsv4

INF
05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
they aint shit when it comes to Nirvana or even the Breeders.Fuckin Kims band was waaaay better than Franks shit.

I put Radiohead over Pixies.

Pixies is a must though and at least top ten status in their field

INF
05-03-2010, 05:38 PM
sonic youth shits in the pixies mouth constantly

and thats diarrhea shit

SID
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Sonic Youth shits in the pixies mouth?

INF
05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
yeah u never seen the video????

ALCATRAZ
05-03-2010, 06:09 PM
yes. the pixies are the greatest band of all time.

INF
05-03-2010, 06:13 PM
yes. the pixies are the greatest band of all time.

yeah cuz you listend to like what????? 20 bands so far????

cmon man stop.

u still a friend but stop it right now.

you dont know any better but stop now.

you know the pixies are white right???/???????//???///??????///???????

oDoUoSoKo
05-03-2010, 07:18 PM
sonic youth shits in the pixies mouth constantly

and thats diarrhea shit
lmao, although crude i agree...but still i listened to the pixies first...excellent band..first 2 albums are boss.

INF
05-03-2010, 07:30 PM
I know dude but (not even deep down) you know better.

You know that Thurston alone > anything Frank Black has touched.

Living-jism
05-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I never got into the Pixies.

oDoUoSoKo
05-03-2010, 07:35 PM
no arguments here..eloels. SY have consistency like almost no band ive ever heard.

INF
05-03-2010, 07:38 PM
yo I remember buying surfer rosa and taking the shit back.some of you know this story. i worked at a record store and would take shit back constantly. Surfer rosa was one of the first I took back and once they let me take that back I took back all kinds of shit.lmao.the line was draw with a Wu release and I wont say which one I took back cuz its like this

most of the shit IM like "fuck no" to ... I end up later being like "hell yes" to ...even "fuck yes". hahahhaha

so you never know.

But proclaiming a band to be the greatest ... you better make sure nobody else close to that genre can touch rim cuz if so...ITS ON!!!!

Living-jism
05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
All the young indie kids are all over this band.

Like a "father/mother figure" lolz

oDoUoSoKo
05-03-2010, 07:43 PM
i also wasnt TOTALLY into surfer rosa at first but i still liked it..now i love it. one of my favs period.

BoogieManMusic
05-03-2010, 09:18 PM
D1k6dD3WAP0

I haven`t given The Pixies a listen yet but maybe I`ll check out the album Bossanova if you say its good. This is a Pixies cover I know, and its also by my favorite band!

INF
05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
yeah i recognize surfer rosa as a classic now.i was young and stupid and narrow minded when i took it back

beautifulrock
05-04-2010, 12:31 AM
I don't know about greatest band ever, but Where is my Mind is one of the best songs ever.

SID
05-04-2010, 03:15 AM
Sonic Youth are good, but they lack stong melody, most of their stuff is really angst-ridden shouting and bellowing down a mic, i like them, daylight nation and Goo are certified but i think the Pixies really take alternative to another level.

For me they encompass so many different sounds and melodies i mean they got the anrgy shouting vocals, the smooth harmonius ones, the funky ones, no two pixies songs are the same, i like there versatality, and the instrumentalists are just crazy at what they do Joey Santiago is a heavy heavy guitarist.

Surfer Rosa is amazing, but i'm giving a chance th their other albums and Bossanova is really doing a lot for me at the moment.

INF
05-04-2010, 10:30 AM
Sonic Youth are good, but they lack stong melody, most of their stuff is really angst-ridden shouting and bellowing down a mic, i like them, daylight nation and Goo are certified but i think the Pixies really take alternative to another level.

saaaaay WHAT?????

dude what the hell? How many SY albums have you heard and how many Pixies albums have you heard?

have you only heard surfer rosa? Frank black can get way out of line with no melody at times.

SID
05-04-2010, 11:03 AM
I've got all SY albums and all Pixies albums.

Man lets not get into a silly argument here, i prefer Pixies to SY, that's it.

INF
05-04-2010, 11:27 AM
thats cool. I just happened to be intrigued to argue the point because you had said "greatest band ever"
Im sure you was just hype though.peace

SID
05-04-2010, 11:36 AM
Well i do think there POSSIBLY the best band ever, but that's just my opinion.

Basically you can't persuade me SY are better.

INF
05-04-2010, 11:46 AM
you just dared me to. I dont back down from a triple dog dare so Ill let that lil one slide.LOL

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 01:04 AM
Hm, i know what SID is saying about SY.

I'd say i probably prefer them to The Pixies overall, just because of the number of great albums they have, but they do have some pretty boring material in the mix.

I guess when you put out music for so many years, you're bound to have some mediocre stuff in there.

But yeah, i don't think SY are infallible, they have weaker tracks and albums like any other band.

EAGLE EYE
05-07-2010, 04:07 AM
Yardbirds up next?

SID
05-07-2010, 04:33 AM
Nahh

oDoUoSoKo
05-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Sonic Youth are good, but they lack stong melody, most of their stuff is really angst-ridden shouting and bellowing down a mic

you cant say this, and then..

Man lets not get into a silly argument here, i prefer Pixies to SY, that's it.

SID
05-07-2010, 09:40 AM
What?, that's my point of view, my personal preference, why would you want to get into an argument just because my opinion differs from yours?.

You like prefer SY to Pixies thats fine. I don't.

oDoUoSoKo
05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
thats not what im saying...read what you said about sonic youth there...how is that any way to avoid a silly argument? thats ridiculous..i can say i prefer SY over the pixies..but i wouldnt say Kim Deal's bass playing sucks and NOT expect an argument..

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 10:05 AM
you couldn't just make a thread saying 'the pixies are fucking great'? why does everyone's favorite band at the moment have to be 'possibly the greatest band ever'? ...or, better yet, 'the pixies are one of the most influential bands of the last 20 years'? not as hyperbolic and absurd i know, but a little more objectively accurate, if such a thing is even possible when discussing music.

'bossanova' is not in the same league as 'unknown pleasures' imo...great album, though. that's really the only one i was a huge fan of, but all the older indie kids i knew used to jock the pixies so fucking hard, maybe it turned me off and it's time to re-evaluate.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 10:06 AM
no arguments here..eloels. SY have consistency like almost no band ive ever heard.

stereolab? imo the most consistent band i can think of.

SID
05-07-2010, 10:18 AM
thats not what im saying...read what you said about sonic youth there...how is that any way to avoid a silly argument? thats ridiculous..i can say i prefer SY over the pixies..but i wouldnt say Kim Deal's bass playing sucks and NOT expect an argument..

But i never said any members of SY suck.

I said "they lack stong melody, most of their stuff is really angst-ridden shouting and bellowing down a mic".

That dosen't necessarily mean they were bad, i mean i practically just described Nirvana except for maybe the melody part, because Nirvana did have one of the more harmounious grunge sounds.

But yeah angst-ridden bellowing is cool, i like Korn, i like Killswitch, it dosen't mean there bad, just compared to the pixes there in a totally different catogery.

Pixies are more melodic and undistorted, in my point of view.

SID
05-07-2010, 10:21 AM
you couldn't just make a thread saying 'the pixies are fucking great'? why does everyone's favorite band at the moment have to be 'possibly the greatest band ever'? ...or, better yet, 'the pixies are one of the most influential bands of the last 20 years'? not as hyperbolic and absurd i know, but a little more objectively accurate, if such a thing is even possible when discussing music.

'bossanova' is not in the same league as 'unknown pleasures' imo...great album, though. that's really the only one i was a huge fan of, but all the older indie kids i knew used to jock the pixies so fucking hard, maybe it turned me off and it's time to re-evaluate.

Don't pay attention to the thread title, i made it when i banged out bossanova and was baked listening to Blown Away, you cant blame me for that...

OK you comparing Pixies to JD, or are you comparing good albums?

Either way there is no comprision between the two.

Maybe theres more of a comparision in say, Daylight Nation and Unkown Pleasures.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 10:26 AM
ok...well you compared bossanova to unknown pleasures in your original post lol

'blown away' is the shit though.

even comparing unknown pleasures to daylight nation i'd have to give it to unknown pleasures...that's like a pitch perfect album imo...the construction and vibe of it...it's just perfect for what it is.

SID
05-07-2010, 11:01 AM
Yeah in terms of my fav alternative albums, i didn't compare them though, just tried to give you an idea of how highly i rate Bossanova.

But dude seriously, Unkown Pleasures is almost untouchable, the eerie, dense atmosphere they created is kinda uncreatable, it just happened and that sound will never be recaptured again.

oDoUoSoKo
05-07-2010, 11:32 AM
ya but what u said is a bunch of bullshit

oDoUoSoKo
05-07-2010, 11:33 AM
ok better example, its like me sayin the pixies did a bunch of bluegrass inspired pro abortion songs.

SID
05-07-2010, 11:40 AM
The question is why are you getting so emotional...

What do you find hard to except? where have i offended you?

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I prefer maybe two New Order albums to Unknown Pleasures.

And Closer i like equally probably.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 01:49 PM
interesting....closer is a lot more dour and dreary to me, great album to listen to if you're depressed lol...but it does have 'atrocity exhibition'..now that you mention it, 'movement', 'low-life', 'power corruption and lies', and 'brotherhood' all hold up very well when compared to the JD albums imo

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Yeah, i mean it doesn't really make sense to compare them, but i've definitely listened to Low Life a lot more than Unknown Pleasures.

I'd probably rank Power, Corruption and Lies higher also.

I really like some tracks on Closer, Heart and Soul, Twenty Four Hours and Isolation particularly. Maybe on reflection it isn't quite as consistent as Unknown Pleasures, but i still think overall it's about as good.

As you said, and a lot of others do, it's a bit depressing in some ways. But i find Curtis' lyrics in general maybe less depressing than Sumner's.

Maybe depressing isn't the right word, but a lot of Joy Division tracks had some hope to them, the music was much more dour than New Order, but lyrically it wasn't all depressing.

The majority of New Order tracks from the 4 great albums they released are pretty heart breaking lyrically, Sumner seems pretty obsessed with talking about how everything good eventually turns to shit. Granted, there are some more uplifting tracks, which were never really present in Joy Division's albums.

The lyrics on Low Life are particularly biting and harsh, i find some of those tracks at least as disconsolate as anything Joy Division did. New Order were just less subdued i guess.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 02:50 PM
sumner's nowhere near as good a lyricist as ian curtis; sumner has alot of trite and downright laughable lyrics especially on post PC&L albums...did curtis write low-life? the lyrics are totally unlike their later stuff.

lyrically, joy division were depressing for me alot ---'she's lost control', 'isolation', '24 hours' 'passover' 'the eternal'...alot of it probably has to do with curtis' voice, but 'Closer' as a whole is difficult to listen to for sometimes, probably because i'm interpeting alot of the lyrics in light of his eventual suicide.

i guess with the new order stuff, even the 'inevitable decay of relationships' subject matter was just made more palatable by the music, sumner's tone as a singer, and the fact that it was mitigated by more 'uplifting' songs around it like you said...i don't know i would put it down to curtis' lyrics just being more incisive and intelligent, so his observations and sentiments have more impact for me. sorry, i'm stoned so i'm rambling lol

wow, we got off topic didn't we?

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Curtis didn't write anything for Low Life (i'm not sure if New Order used any of his lyrics elsewhere?).

From memory all band members have credit as having written it. I just assumed Sumner wrote all the lyrics, but i could be wrong.

You know, obviously it's a personal thing, but the lyrics on tracks like 'Face Up' just hit hard to me.

The line "I cannot bare the thought of you" just seems poignant to me, i don't know why, it just is. A lot of people might think that track is saccharine or trite though.

That being said, i can barely listen to Republic, the lyrics (and music actually) is that ridiculous. There are a couple ok tracks, but like: "That's the price of love, can you feel it, if we could buy it now, how long will it last".... jesus price.

And yes, this thread did get way off topic lol, i've been listening to way too much New Order lately haha.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
That being said, i can barely listen to Republic, the lyrics (and music actually) is that ridiculous. There are a couple ok tracks, but like: "That's the price of love, can you feel it, if we could buy it now, how long will it last".... jesus price.

hahahaha i know what you mean
i fuck with republic though if i've been drinking and i'm hanging out with my girlfriend and feel like camping it up a bit for the evening. it's a nice slice of early 90s house-y cheese imo but in the context of their discography it is a pretty horrendous album.

this track is a jam lol
EHSGdP1raxk

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 04:08 PM
I remember reading an interview with them where they were talking about their aesthetic, how they always wanted that homogenised look, like every album was just a product, and then they go and put Republic out with a picture of a couple fighting over a buoyancy aid on the cover juxtaposed with a flaming house haha.

It really is a case of judging a book by it's cover being appropriate.

But

You've probably seen a lot of the tracks i post in the 'what are you listening to thread', i have a penchant for cheesy music of any variety.

And to be honest, just looking at my itunes, i've listened to Republic a bunch of times.

Yes, it is horrible as a New Order album, but maybe saying i can barely listen to it was an overstatement lol.

Listening to it now, it's actually pretty enjoyable. I guess some of those horrible lyrics just stuck with me.

It reminds of late Pink Floyd almost, damn, i still love 'Learning to Fly' haha.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 04:18 PM
there is a place for that type of music, it's for when you are in an unabashedly good mood and the cheesiness is most amusing/appealing...actually, thinking about i feel like 'technique' is worse than 'republic' but i think it's probably their most visually appealing album cover (followed by PC&L)

I remember reading an interview with them where they were talking about their aesthetic, how they always wanted that homogenised look, like every album was just a product, and then they go and put Republic out with a picture of a couple fighting over a buoyancy aid on the cover juxtaposed with a flaming house haha.

It really is a case of judging a book by it's cover being appropriate.

hahahaha

i never thought about it like that, but yes that is one of the most headscratchingly stupid album covers from a quality band ever.

I still don't know what to make of the 'get ready' album cover either.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 04:30 PM
haha, dude, don't hate on Technique, Round and Round has one of the most powerful synth intro i've ever heard (especially the extened version).

You really don't like Technique?

Well, as i said, i like that kind of shit.

I think every track is great apart from Fine Time. It is pretty cheesy though.

You know Bernard once "lived in a town called Liberty"?

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 04:42 PM
lol

i think 'fine time' tainted that whole album for me, but it is listenable and i give it some spins here and there, but i would say it's my least favorite album of theirs (well, after siren's call and get ready )

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 04:54 PM
haha, i never could figure out what the deal with Fine Time is, it's so out of place.

Those crazy noises and cut up vocals and stuff.

I dig Technique a lot though.

I've never listened to Get Ready and doubt i ever will.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 04:57 PM
^^^get ready isn't bad, it's just one of those albums that was unnecessary...as an NO fan, you should at least give that and 'waiting for the siren's call' a listen. you may be pleasantly surprised.

and ya, the first time i heard 'fine time' i was just flabbergasted.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-07-2010, 05:24 PM
Hm, ok, i'll check them out then.

Maybe we should get this thread back on topic though.

So uh, The Pixies, greatest band of all time?

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 05:44 PM
^^^ i don't think so.

however, the alternative scene of the early 90s would probably not have existed without them or sonic youth, though...although that is purely speculation on my part, seeing as how i had yet to enter puberty or even junior high school and thought jessie from saved by the bell was the hottest chick in the game at the time.

beautifulrock
05-07-2010, 05:52 PM
http://syndicatedsolutions.com/files/cw_photo.jpg
http://www.kathylcarter.com/hosts/chuckWoolery/images/chuck_woolery_headshot.jpg
http://www.yuppiepunk.org/images/bobbyfagot.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/kxHlyU5jrkQ/0.jpg
http://tv.popcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/love-connection-logo.jpg

oDoUoSoKo
05-07-2010, 09:24 PM
lmao^^

add me in there and u got a...

hz0zGSZu6GQ

http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif (http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif)
http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif (http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif)http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif (http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif)http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif (http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif)

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-07-2010, 09:45 PM
ahahahaha oh hohoho heee heee haaaaa.....

seriously i laughed for a few minutes at that

4R3zP1rgJuo

http://www.yuppiepunk.org/images/bobbyfagot.jpg
http://files.samhart.net/humor/heman.gif

oDoUoSoKo
05-07-2010, 09:48 PM
goo goo gajoob

SID
05-09-2010, 04:39 AM
I know it's a bit late to join this conversation, but there has been a strong build, a build so strong i find it offensive not to join in....

I prefer maybe two New Order albums to Unknown Pleasures.

And Closer i like equally probably.

You know what.

I do like New Order, a lot of people hate New Order, i always try to pinpoint the cause and they never come up with anything justified they just act like JD dickriders and hate them just because there not JD, it's bullshit.

I mean everyone loves the Foo Fighters, so whats with all the New Order hate?

and for everyone who says New Orders electronic element is shit are dizzy, i mean fair enough they ventured far from the original incarnation, but it's done nothing bad, for me it's added an extra flavour, but for a lot of people it added an unorganic element to one of the most organic bands to have ever played, which i can understand.

Yeah, i mean it doesn't really make sense to compare them, but i've definitely listened to Low Life a lot more than Unknown Pleasures.

I'd probably rank Power, Corruption and Lies higher also.

I really like some tracks on Closer, Heart and Soul, Twenty Four Hours and Isolation particularly. Maybe on reflection it isn't quite as consistent as Unknown Pleasures, but i still think overall it's about as good.

As you said, and a lot of others do, it's a bit depressing in some ways. But i find Curtis' lyrics in general maybe less depressing than Sumner's.

Maybe depressing isn't the right word, but a lot of Joy Division tracks had some hope to them, the music was much more dour than New Order, but lyrically it wasn't all depressing.

The majority of New Order tracks from the 4 great albums they released are pretty heart breaking lyrically, Sumner seems pretty obsessed with talking about how everything good eventually turns to shit. Granted, there are some more uplifting tracks, which were never really present in Joy Division's albums.

The lyrics on Low Life are particularly biting and harsh, i find some of those tracks at least as disconsolate as anything Joy Division did. New Order were just less subdued i guess.

My fav track off Closer.....

gCRWsFV4-sU

Longbongcilvaringz
05-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Yep, Colony is a tooooon.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-09-2010, 12:35 PM
colony is hard...i like some of the more obscure tracks they did like 'glass' and 'something must break'....which is a really heavy tune.

jd was organic, but the integration of electronic elements was something they were doing even back on disorder with the spacey noises in the background...from what i've read curtis and sumner were kraftwerk fans and that's alot of what they would listen to prior to sessions and things...i think the disdain that JD diehards have for NO is because it really does seem like they went into a more mainstream direction, the music is more danceable and the lyrics are more simplistic and the overall aesthetic doesn't quite hit the mark for the black eyeliner crowd like JD did.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-09-2010, 03:45 PM
I don't think i ever want to talk to someone who likes Joy Division but hates New Order.

SID
05-10-2010, 03:17 AM
Yeah your right.

They did incorporate some electronic effects during the JD days, but they did drastically change direction in almost every sense, from a finnacial perspective to a musical perspective, they diden't give a fuck about the JD diehards.

The diehards think that NO rose to fame off Curtis death i think, that the death was a platform on which they could achieve an instant measure of notority and fame.

However i believe that they just wanted to carry on making music, and i remember an interview with them they were talking about visiting a club and wanting their music to be played in places like this, and fair enough i understand that, people appreciate music porberly the most in a club during a drug induced state.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-10-2010, 03:21 AM
NO did hardly any interviews for years after Curtis died for that very reason, they didn't want to use his death as some kind of platform for New Order.

I still can't imagine someone liking Joy Division and not New Order, seems like it would be less about the music and more about their own personal homonotions of 'integrity'.

SID
05-10-2010, 03:33 AM
Yeah it's got nothing to do with the music, just silly dickriders really.

I think Sumner knew JD was lacking something, i mean don't get me wrong it was a great outfit, an amazing band, but there was a certain hollowness in JD that Sumner wanted to change, in fact that hollowness wast just proberly a reflection of Curtis's mindset at the time.

I personally listen to NO more then JD these days firstly because i rinsed out their albums and secondly because overall NO are better, in terms of the replay factor, you can bang their albums out over and over again, with JD however you have to be in a certain mood.

daffy duck
09-08-2014, 04:56 AM
1. pixies
2. sonic youth
3. nirvana

that's the order of the greatest bands of all time