PDA

View Full Version : Did the Brits make the best music?

SID
05-26-2010, 07:09 PM
It's a question, not a statement.

Rock

Beatles
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
Rolling stones
AC/DC
Joy Division
New Order
The Clash
Sex Pistols
Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Radiohead
U2
QUEEN

Electronic

DUBSTEP

Orbital
Future sound of london
Bonobo
Aphex Twin
John Digweed
Massive Attack
Chemical Brothers
The prodigy
Zomby
Roxy Music
Depache Mode

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-26-2010, 07:49 PM
the history of modern pop music is based on artists being influenced by other artists and cultures, recontextualizing these sounds and rhythms in a way that makes sense to their experience and then unleashing it on the world, which then causes it to influence and inspire others and the cycle continues.

so i would have to say no...no nation, region, culture, or ethnic group can be said to create the best music, because no pop cultural artifact is produced in a vacuum.

Longbongcilvaringz
05-27-2010, 03:17 PM
No, American's have easily made the best music in pretty much all popular genres.

There are some notable exceptions who hail from the UK but they are too few in number.

And what the fuck, AC/DC are Australian, not sure where you got the idea that were at all british. The current singer is Scottish from memory... i don't see how this makes them British though.

SID
05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
No, American's have easily made the best music in pretty much all popular genres.

There are some notable exceptions who hail from the UK but they are too few in number.

And what the fuck, AC/DC are Australian, not sure where you got the idea that were at all british. The current singer is Scottish from memory... i don't see how this makes them British though.

too few in number. are you being serious?

Regarding hip hop, yes the British are out of that race, but in terms of rock and electronica your really telling me the Americans made better music?

Yes they have their Bob Dylans, Leonard Cohens, Michael Jacksons and Presleys...

But i think the British have been the most consistent.

The most progressive and innovative music has come out of the UK and it usually caught on in America.

My bad about AC/DC, i forgot they were Australian.

EAGLE EYE
05-27-2010, 05:03 PM
Why are you all struggling with the very basic principle that everything is subjective.

More consistent? Why would that determine any outcome?

When you are watching a movie and a person leans over and whispers "this was based on a true story" - does that make the movie any better?

SID
05-27-2010, 05:16 PM
Don't get offended, yes music is subjective.

But all in all i find that the Brits have been the most innovative and experimental when it come to rock and electronica.

We have pioneered so many sounds, it's not even funny.

EAGLE EYE
05-27-2010, 05:20 PM
I do agree with the innovation and pioneering of sounds, but when it comes to being experimental both countries are pretty much on par with each other.

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-27-2010, 05:37 PM
Yeah we are pretty cooooo

American bands (especially indie) are still obsessing over being british-ish. most even have british accents when they sing. its normal. I heard an american band on radio 6 the other week who sang with a manchester accent I couldnt seperate them from morrisey.

same with punk bands, all used that london accents.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-27-2010, 05:38 PM
you can't even say that america is inferior to the uk in the innovation and pioneering of new sounds...we're on a hip-hop site lol not to mention jazz, the blues... bleugrass and country and all that garbage is intrinsically american.

the whole question is inane. this is some shit i would expect alacatraz to post, except it would be 'blacks make the best music'

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-27-2010, 05:45 PM
oh and lmfao at two british kids with 'i see you dawg' and 'creeping on da come up' adorning their wu-corp profiles talking about americans imitating british people.

this topic is childish.

SID
05-27-2010, 05:52 PM
Yeah we are pretty cooooo

American bands (especially indie) are still obsessing over being british-ish. most even have british accents when they sing. its normal. I heard an american band on radio 6 the other week who sang with a manchester accent I couldnt seperate them from morrisey.

same with punk bands, all used that london accents.

Yeah i've noticed that also.

you can't even say that america is inferior to the uk in the innovation and pioneering of new sounds...we're on a hip-hop site lol not to mention jazz, the blues... bleugrass and country and all that garbage is intrinsically american.

the whole question is inane. this is some shit i would expect alacatraz to post, except it would be 'blacks make the best music'

Yeah and bluegrass and country is shit with the exception of Cash.

I knew someone was going to liken this thread to an alcatraz thread but it's really not.

I'm not going out of my way to say the British are the best, i'm just saying that i personally think we have had the most groundbreaking acts, too many to mention, post punk was OURS, punk was OURS, trip hop is ours, dubstep is ours, IDM is ours, and this is all my type of music personally.

Not a big country or jazz fan.

oh and lmfao at two british kids with 'i see you dawg' and 'creeping on da come up' adorning their wu-corp profiles talking about americans imitating british people.

this topic is childish.

Now your just getting upset and annoyed for some reason, i see you dawg? its the fucking ENGLISH language.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-27-2010, 05:56 PM
no i'm not upset, i just find discussions like these funny because of the flagrant contradictions people make in trying to hype up one country or group over another when discussing musical impact and innovation. and just because you aren't a fan of a genre, doesn't mean you can dismiss it as a musical innovation that made an impact. but it all goes back to what i said in my first post, that everybody appropriates, or is influenced by, the sounds and styles from everybody else and that's what makes the musical world go around.

listen to more music and you'll realize these types of distinctions and discussions are ridiculous.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-27-2010, 05:59 PM
post punk was OURS, punk was OURS, trip hop is ours, dubstep is ours, IDM is ours, and this is all my type of music personally

the roots of almost all of these genres can be traced to innovations made in other countries...trip hop? dubstep?

listen more.

these types of nationalistic arguments are funny to me not only because they are inherently subjective, but even if it were objectively true...what's your point? what's your personal investment in it? you didn't innovate new wave or dubstep, so why do you care and what are you proving?

Ghost In The 'Lac
05-27-2010, 06:11 PM
no need to get all konfruntashunale. (german for "confrontational")

EAGLE EYE
05-27-2010, 06:12 PM
lol there is like 38 people in the entire US who listen to triphop.

I almost forgot about that even being a sub genre until Sid mentioned it.

But I digress..

I have a hard time wanting to discuss music on this site since it attracts sociopaths with very, very strange agendas.

Dr. Simon Hurt
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
I have a hard time wanting to discuss music on this site since it attracts sociopaths with very, very strange agendas.

:mmmyah:

SID
05-28-2010, 03:20 AM
no i'm not upset, i just find discussions like these funny because of the flagrant contradictions people make in trying to hype up one country or group over another when discussing musical impact and innovation. and just because you aren't a fan of a genre, doesn't mean you can dismiss it as a musical innovation that made an impact. but it all goes back to what i said in my first post, that everybody appropriates, or is influenced by, the sounds and styles from everybody else and that's what makes the musical world go around.

listen to more music and you'll realize these types of distinctions and discussions are ridiculous.

I'm not hyping.

Dont tell me to listen to more music i have has an eclectic passion for music since 11, and out of all the acts and artists on my intunes 76% are British.

the roots of almost all of these genres can be traced to innovations made in other countries...trip hop? dubstep?

listen more.

these types of nationalistic arguments are funny to me not only because they are inherently subjective, but even if it were objectively true...what's your point? what's your personal investment in it? you didn't innovate new wave or dubstep, so why do you care and what are you proving?

nationalistic arguments? this is not a nationilistic argument it is a simple observation.

lol there is like 38 people in the entire US who listen to triphop.

And look what there missing out on....

GfugtAWxooU
KMbZSqXZqTQ
ZWmrfgj0MZI
hbe3CQamF8k
Vg1jyL3cr60
yF-GvT8Clnk

DR. NICK RIVIERA
05-28-2010, 04:33 AM
I only agree that Brits make the best rock music. And I agree that some [White Stripes for example] are mimicking english rock.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
I wouldn't say Punk or IDM originated in Britain.

Maybe it's contentious as to what the first punk band was, but i can think of a few i would consider punk that predate British bands.

IDM is a pretty loose genre, Americans and Europeans pretty much made music like that in conjunction. Although Detroit techno is probably the single biggest influence on European IDM.

Saying either genre is owned by Britain is misleading, and pretty much untrue.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-01-2010, 03:43 PM
But i do agree with your point about British rock having a huge influence on America.

Listen to pretty much all popular "indie" bands from the states, and their sound is rooted in British rock.

Look at how bands like The Strokes and Interpol are lauded in the states, simply because they approximately replicate British style rock from the 70s and 80s.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
I dont know about the exact beginning point being in London, but I do know that the Sex Pistols shaped the sound of nearly every punk band after them, to this day. And that way Johny Rotton wailed was simply CC'd a million times, I still here it today.

And Sid Vicious, couldnt even play an instrument, but he was the "swag" icon for how to "be" a punk to every single punk after him. Sex Pistols are punk, punk is Sex Pistols, so you can say all punk after SP started with them.

oDoUoSoKo
06-01-2010, 08:01 PM
ramones shaped the pistols..and theyre from queens.

SID
06-02-2010, 03:51 AM
I wouldn't say Punk or IDM originated in Britain.

Maybe it's contentious as to what the first punk band was, but i can think of a few i would consider punk that predate British bands.

IDM is a pretty loose genre, Americans and Europeans pretty much made music like that in conjunction. Although Detroit techno is probably the single biggest influence on European IDM.

Saying either genre is owned by Britain is misleading, and pretty much untrue.

Well Aphex Twin is generally considered to be the first IDM artist and he is british, i'm not saying we "own" any music i'm just saying that we are the innovators and pioneers of several genres.

Punk was a british phenomenon, and when i say punk i mean the fully formed anti establishment movement, not the bands leading up to the explosion but the first actual punk bands, pistols, buzzcocks etc etc

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-02-2010, 10:21 AM
^^^idm wouldn't exist without artists like kraftwerk, carl craig, juan atkins, etc

you are also completely ignoring genres like hip-hop, soul, r&b and funk in your argument.

also as far as punk and indie bands imitating british musicians...by that logic, wouldn't every non american hiphop group or act be imitating americans? and wouldn't every british rock band in the 60s also be imitating americans? beatles, stones, cream, pink floyd, zepellin would all admit to an american influence. bernard sumner said joy division and new order were influenced and inspired by kraftwerk.

there are british groups that make amazing, genius music. I love most of the bands you've listed in this thread, but this argument and your reasoning behind it, is spurious.

you keep saying 'we are innovators'...which is why i say this is a nationalistic argument, it's just as silly as using 'we' to refer to a sports team, simply because they play home games in your city. yes, there have been some very innovative, boundary pushing british musicians, but in music, "we all stand on the shoulders of giants"

SID
06-02-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm not saying IDM was conjured out of thin air by the british with no influence i said Aphex Twin was generally considered to be the first IDM artist, make what you will out of that.

All i want people to do in this thread is to accept how much the british have shaped and guided modern music.

ALCATRAZ
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
what a gay homosexual faggotry laced thread... everyone knows americans make the best music hands down

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-02-2010, 11:23 PM
how much excellent, 'innovative', 'groundbreaking' music and musical styles do you think we are all completely oblivious to because it's either not sung in english, or was only well dsitributed in non-english speaking countries?

oDoUoSoKo
06-04-2010, 08:59 AM
good point

Visionz
06-05-2010, 01:32 AM
It's a question, not a statement.

Rock

Beatles
Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
Rolling stones
AC/DC
Joy Division
New Order
The Clash
Sex Pistols
Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Radiohead
U2
QUEEN

now take away the artist here heavily influenced by American blues and r&b. Everything travels in cycles and is built upon the past as Pandemic has pointed out. Lets not forget the Beatles lost a suite against them by Chuck Barry for copyright infringement, for instance.

This really is a silly thread. British have contributed a lot to music, no question. So what?

Jimi Hendrix
The Doors
Muddy Waters
Bo Didley
Parliment
Frank Zappa
James mothafuckin Brown
Chuck Barry
Elvis Presley
The Beach Boys
Rage Against the Machine
Metallica,etc, etc, etc

I could on for days with a list of great rock/funk/blues greats from America. You know what? I can't play guitar or drums for shit. The fact that its American music really is just to say that we've established environments here that are conducive to black communities doing what they can to exercise their pain and frustration and transform it into something magical which in-turn influenced the entire world. But that's got nothing to do with me.

When you break it down, almost every form of modern-day popular music has its origins in the black communities of America in so way or another.

Where would Jungle be w/out this joint right here?
sbCYZOJxK6A

Mal
06-05-2010, 01:34 AM

Visionz
06-05-2010, 01:40 AM
The Ramones weren't an actual punk band? What about the Dead Boys?
I missed him saying that. The Ramones is as punk as it fuckin get smh. It's like he's trying to say you're not punk if you don't sound like the Sex Pistols

Very first sentence in Wikipedia,

The Ramones were an American rock band that formed in Forest Hills, Queens, New York in 1974 and are often cited as the first punk rock group.

Mal
06-05-2010, 01:56 AM
Not to mention The Sex Pistols are garbage compared to The Ramones. That's really a matter of opinion though....

The point is that there was a thriving punk scene in New York before it exploded in the U.K.

SID
06-07-2010, 03:27 AM
Fair enough, but it was us who catapulted it into popular culture and defined the sound, plus we shaped post punk as well.

All i am saying is that we went hard when it came to da musik.

issues
06-07-2010, 03:38 AM
New York Dolls came before The Ramones..

Visionz
06-07-2010, 04:01 AM
Fair enough, but it was us who catapulted it into popular culture and defined the sound, plus we shaped post punk as well.

All i am saying is that we went hard when it came to da musik.
did you, did you really?? I'm thinkin your position is a bit over-stated.

SID
06-07-2010, 04:39 AM
Buzzcocks, The clash and Pistols are the first names that come to mind for the majority of people regarding the first punk bands.

The Ramones are less known.

TSA
06-07-2010, 07:26 AM
you guys are also confusing what innovative is.

the beatles would be called innovative for adding sitars and indian themes to their music. but is that really innovative or is that white ppl believing nothing exists until they do it?

the things a lot of these ppl call innovative have been around for ever, have been done elsewhere or as trivial alterations of things that were already there

not undermining the music of any country or culture, british music is often the shit, but i find that a lot of european music calls itself innovative cause they have a bone white bitch in the video getting milk poured on her in reverse while wearing odd clothing.

this isn't innovative.

also, it's all subjective but as far of saying something is innovative, that's factual, and nobody has been as innovative, truly innovative, as the americans.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-07-2010, 07:28 AM
Buzzcocks, The clash and Pistols are the first names that come to mind for the majority of people regarding the first punk bands.

The Ramones are less known.

what?
biased.

SID
06-07-2010, 07:33 AM
Nah man, i'm not biased at all.

It's true the Sex Pistols and The Clash are generally more well known then the Ramones, i never said they were better musically, but just more well known.

Those are the two bands that people usually subscribe to the punk explosion of the seventies.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-07-2010, 07:48 AM
you are biased, because all that reflects is what may be the prevailing viewpoint on your side of the water. over here, the ramones are just as well known as the clash and the sex pistols, if not moreso.

this whole thread reflects a regional bias. think globally and consider this:

how much excellent, 'innovative', 'groundbreaking' music and musical styles do you think we are all completely oblivious to because it's either not sung in english, or was only well dsitributed in non-english speaking countries?

the percentage of british music on your ipod reflects nothing more than your than musical taste.

and this sentence
Those are the two bands that people usually subscribe to the punk explosion of the seventies.
doesn't really make sense.

SID
06-07-2010, 07:51 AM
Do i have state this is my personal opinion every time?

Take it for granted.

Regarding Ramones being more popular in America, fair enough, however in europe the aforementioned bands are more popular and are usually attributed to bringing punk to the mainstream.

TSA
06-07-2010, 08:02 AM

^^who ever said that nailed it.
we in the west tend to think shit doesn't exist until we do it and this is why we think where just blazing the path on innovation for greatness.

i can tell you know the biggest act in the world is P-Square, and there's numbers and stats to prove it, but you're going to look at me as a jackass cause they're not known in your country.

the same way i literally have no fucking clue as an who or what WestLife is, but i guess i one point these niggas were the macadamian nut. You can easily say british ppl make the best music but it would be ignorant to not take in consideration you're in england.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Do i have state this is my personal opinion every time?

Take it for granted.

Regarding Ramones being more popular in America, fair enough, however in europe the aforementioned bands are more popular and are usually attributed to bringing punk to the mainstream.

Dude, you said:

It's true the Sex Pistols and The Clash are generally more well known then the Ramones, i never said they were better musically, but just more well known.

This is not the expression of a personal opinion. This also shows the fallacy of your argument...British groups are more influential and innovative because they are more well known and popular in Britain than their American counterparts.

One thing I do take for granted is that the amount of condescension used by someone in a serious discussion, in lieu of a legitimate argument, is usually inversely proportional to their level of intelligence.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-07-2010, 08:04 AM

^^who ever said that nailed it.
we in the west tend to think shit doesn't exist until we do it and this is why we think where just blazing the path on innovation for greatness.

i can tell you know the biggest act in the world is P-Square, and there's numbers and stats to prove it, but you're going to look at me as a jackass cause they're not known in your country.

I said that.
Because I'm brilliant.
"I see shit from all angles, God."

TSA
06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
ahahahahhaahah! that niggas pandemic is a manstah bruh

TSA
06-07-2010, 08:08 AM
oh and

*innovation and greatness

*I can tell you now

for posterity (the seeds)

SID
06-07-2010, 08:49 AM
Dude, you said:

This is not the expression of a personal opinion. This also shows the fallacy of your argument...British groups are more influential and innovative because they are more well known and popular in Britain than their American counterparts.

One thing I do take for granted is that the amount of condescension used by someone in a serious discussion, in lieu of a legitimate argument, is usually inversely proportional to their level of intelligence.

I did not say that the reason they were innovative was because they were more popular, i said the Pistols and Clash led the punk explosion, thats it.

Why did they lead it? i don't know? why werent The Ramones the vanguards of punk i don't know? i guess people related to the pistols anti establishment dont give a fuck attitude more then the ramones leather jackets and cool logos.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-07-2010, 12:53 PM
Maybe The Sex Pistols engaged in numerous publicity stunts while the Ramones made music.

Durag
06-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I would just like to confirm that Richard D. James aka Aphex Twin was actually born in Limerick in Ireland so that makes him Irish.

I agree with some points in this thread but im gonna stay out of it.

SID
06-07-2010, 01:07 PM
Maybe The Sex Pistols engaged in numerous publicity stunts while the Ramones made music.

Nah i don't think so, they echoed a genuine sentiment that was almost universally shared between the youth of that era.

The Sex Pistols were waiting to happen.....

TheBoarzHeadBoy
06-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Come now, the two aren't even comparable. The Ramones are so much better then the Sex Pistols. The Sex Pistols are obnoxious sounding pussies, the Ramones are actually talented.

The Ramones have simple riffs and rhythms and a good singer. The Sex Pistols have mildly more aggressive lyrics. That's it.

You're being anglocentric, you assume people know who the sex pistols are. I didn't hear of them until a couple years ago and I didn't care for it. The Ramones are to punk what Bob Marley is to Reggae. If you "like punk" you'll say you like the Ramones. Or you can be a blatant poser and list Green Day as the only punk band you can remember the name of...

The Clash are great though. Not going to say anything negative about them.

But American Punk is generally much better because our punk is about having a good time. It's just fun sounding.

British punk is more hardcore rebellious. American Punk is more whimsically youthful. The latter confers better emotions.

Listen to the Screeching Weasels, they've mellow.

I like my punk to sound more like the old beach rock stuff, mellow, warm weather music you can dance to. Yes, dance to.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-07-2010, 07:37 PM
the beatles

/thread

TheBoarzHeadBoy
06-07-2010, 07:38 PM
The Animals

/thread

Mal
06-07-2010, 07:46 PM

Mal
06-07-2010, 07:50 PM

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-07-2010, 08:02 PM
, but I think you're making The Sex Pistols out to be something they weren't. They weren't messiahs, they didn't have a message. They were in the words of Ian Mackaye, "nihilistic junkies." They were a fucking train wreck, and people love to watch a train wreck.

smh....lol

Mumm Ra
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
wu-tang clan
/thread

oDoUoSoKo
06-07-2010, 08:37 PM
jazz

/thread (im actually considering it..eloels)

Mumm Ra
06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
^ that too, realistically speaking

djskillz
06-07-2010, 08:58 PM
I agree with some points in this thread but im gonna stay out of it.

I'm with you on that lol.

theheavens
06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
American yankees don't wanna admit, but yeah, the Brits made the best rock music...

The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Radiohead
The Smiths
Black Sabbath
David Bowie
Elton John
The Clash
The Who
The Kinks
Queen
Eric Clapton
Brian Eno
John Lennon

who do american crackers have -- dylan? elvis? haha fuck y'all

oDoUoSoKo
06-08-2010, 01:38 PM
o ya, thx...forgot about bob

dylan

/thread (im so fuckin close to doing it..lmao)

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-08-2010, 01:40 PM
i love how the anglophilic advocates in this thread ignore every musical artform created and pioneered by black americans in order to justify their highly dubious assertions.

actually, no...i hate it.

not just that, but the shoddy reasoning about things like the sex pistols being more important to punk than the ramones

this thread is shit and only proves how ignorant and incapable of reason most of you half-wits are.

--unsubscribes to thread.--

dusk, i implore you to close this thread...this is reaching 2pac vs. Lupe Fiasco levels of stupidity, especially now that the raging anti-semite 'theheavens' decided to offer his worthless and unsolicited opinion.

peace be unto you assholes

Longbongcilvaringz
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Anyone who lists Clapton in an argument for Britain > America is a complete imbecile.

Where the fuck do you think he got his whole style from?

GoldynChyld
06-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Imma be serious, this shit don't even matter.

Longbongcilvaringz
06-08-2010, 02:10 PM
No it doesn't, it's still a stupid thing to say though.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-08-2010, 02:12 PM
Eric Claptons a fucking faggot anyway, fuck him.

Anyway I noticed one of the new "up and coming big names" from BROOKLYN, New York, a band called "The Drums", are relevent to this thread, because theyre a perfect example of an American band basing pratically everything they do on British rock (in this case, 90's brit pop swag)

see for yourself

Kkk8kUGWYZA

it doesnt get anymore 90s english than that. these guys are from brooklyn lol.

I give them credit though, they do it WELL lol, decent song too.

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-08-2010, 02:16 PM
^^^the equally inane counterpoint to that argument would again be that non-american hip-hop as a whole is a facsimile, mr 'creepin on da come up'... and dude, your using the phrase '90s brit-pop swag' is in no way ironic.

wow! american indie bands that barely anyone has heard of emulate british rock. golly! brit music pwns! yippy!

Dr. Simon Hurt
06-08-2010, 02:20 PM
and it's very weak that people keep rehashing arguments that me, dusk, bateman, tsa and visionz already shot down several pages ago.

/thread

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-08-2010, 02:32 PM
pandemic you keep saying your leaving the thread like 5 times

stop coming back with your cliche ridden posting style

your gonna post again too, because i did.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-08-2010, 02:37 PM
^^^the equally inane counterpoint to that argument would again be that non-american hip-hop as a whole is a facsimile, mr 'creepin on da come up'... and dude, your using the phrase '90s brit-pop swag' is in no way ironic.

wow! american indie bands that barely anyone has heard of emulate british rock. golly! brit music pwns! yippy!

The more butthurt you get the cornier your posts become.

You mention brits liking american hip hop, your missing one point, we dont deny that, or hide that, because we dont have this weird inferiorty complex with all things foreign like Americans do. We have no problem being influenced by something american, it doesnt matter where the fuck it came from.

theheavens
06-08-2010, 02:47 PM
whatever americans invented, the Brits (The Beatles and Radiohead) perfected. who gives a fuck who influenced who. The Beatles >>>>>all american yankees

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Dude The Beatles basically invented having a band.

Mal
06-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Krimewave
06-08-2010, 07:02 PM
I only agree that Brits make the best rock music. And I agree that some [White Stripes for example] are mimicking english rock.

word

Visionz
06-09-2010, 02:47 AM
I5H3IV1e1Ew
Black America invented every form of modern music you can think of (with reggae being the one lone exception). Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn't have their facts straight.

SID
06-09-2010, 03:41 AM
Whats the hype?

Brits made the best rock music hands down.

TheBoarzHeadBoy
06-09-2010, 02:12 PM
What's retarded about this is that people are saying that the Americans are using the British style. The British have been using our style for decades. There really isn't much of a difference between a British singer and an American singer vocally.

The British artists have been ripping off Blues, Jazz, and Soul worse then any American has.

The Rolling Stones dick rode Lil Richie to the top.
The Beatles and Animals were ripping off all the classics at first. The Beatles were originally what amounts to an American hits cover band that eventually went their own way.

Then they come over here, renaissance our homegrown american music, and reap the profits. Can't say they're lousy, but they were British artists doing American music.

Then we evolved from there, but the Beatles are for all intents and purposes Americans. They idolized our culture, came over here, lived here, and died here. They're not British, they're from Britain.

Ghost In The 'Lac
06-09-2010, 02:36 PM
ITT: people who think theyre spreading knowledge by announcing rock music was based on black music.

Yes, everyone knows that, faggots, what has that got to do with anything?

You're also forgetting to mention that it was THE BEATLES who bought back the "black" sound to rock n roll because the trend at that time in American popular music was moving away from the "black" sound, it was Beatles who made it the thing again.

Then we evolved from there, but the Beatles are for all intents and purposes Americans. They idolized our culture, came over here, lived here, and died here. They're not British, they're from Britain.

LMAO nice troll post faggot. Just proves how desperate you are when the Beatles gets mentioned.

Protip: The Beatles HATED America, especially Lennon, and did about everything they possibly could to piss off many Americans for as long as they were popular (insulting Jesus, bigging up Russia, preaching anti war, converting to Buddism/Hindusim, marrying japs, and everything else).

Lennon spent nearly all of his time telling Americans to be less American LOL.

P.s

Pandemic was moved to neg repped me in this thread lmao what a faggot. u mad son.

theheavens
06-09-2010, 03:25 PM
What's retarded about this is that people are saying that the Americans are using the British style. The British have been using our style for decades. There really isn't much of a difference between a British singer and an American singer vocally.

The British artists have been ripping off Blues, Jazz, and Soul worse then any American has.

The Rolling Stones dick rode Lil Richie to the top.
The Beatles and Animals were ripping off all the classics at first. The Beatles were originally what amounts to an American hits cover band that eventually went their own way.

Then they come over here, renaissance our homegrown american music, and reap the profits. Can't say they're lousy, but they were British artists doing American music.

hahaha faggot ass yankee. admit it, Brits have the best rock music. even Radiohead is shitting all over american music today....

rolling stone mag: best album of the decade..... Radiohead KID A

Longbongcilvaringz
06-10-2010, 03:42 AM
I like the Drums.

But don't you think they're influenced pretty heavily by American soft rock bands?

Beach Boys are an obvious influence.

SID
06-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Just because they had a music video called i wanna go surfing and they ran down the side of a beach for the duration of it..

New Hills 36
06-12-2010, 04:41 PM
My favourite music over the years is probably American - wu being the best example - though dylan, tom petty and others. Soul, funk, Jazz, hip Hop. Americana (jeez - america does that best - I'd never have guessed!). The US have got that and more. (

But the UK has punched well above our weight. EDM - and in particular the DJ as a rockstar, the wonderous Drum and Bass (I'm too old for dubstep) and various types of hard rock and 'intiligentista' type indie music such as Radiohead, the smiths (which I personally don't really like). I thought The UK punk scene was great - don't under-rate that first sex pistols lp - and such like.