PDA

View Full Version : My reviews on "Recovery" and "How I Got Over" (feedback appreciated)

claaa7
07-09-2010, 07:34 AM
so i just finnished my review for "Recovery" where i thoroughly tries to break down what went right and what went wrong with that album in my opinion. i also wrote a review for "How I Got Over" by The Roots a few days ago, it would be cool if anyone that reads this could give me some feedback on what you think of these reviews. negative or positive it's all welcome.

claaa7's "Recovery" (Eminem) review (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1927006&postcount=22)

claaa7's "How I Got Over" (The Roots) review (http://www.wutang-corp.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1926003&postcount=2)

Mr. R&B
07-09-2010, 08:30 AM
I'll speak on your review of Recovery.

I don't know if it was intentional, but you didn't mention "Seduction" "Space Bound" and "Cinderella Man".

"Seduction" was a similar, but better metaphoric concept than "25 To Life".

In which Em insists nobody can entice this bitch and leave her sprung like he can, that bitch being Hip-Hop.

I'm starting to think that "Space Bound" might be a metaphor for his love-hate relationship with drugs and the turning point in which he decided to get clean.

It's kind of like a goodbye letter to an entity that was a part of his life for so long.

Now that may be totally incorrect or a reach, I just don't think the song is to be taken at face value, but I'm probably wrong.

"Cinderella Man" is one of the handful of absolutely insane performances on the LP, and one of the few songs in which Em doesn't sing a hook or bridge.

He spazzed on that shit...sick wordplay, dope punches, out of this world hyperbolie.

I'd say your review was well thought out, with the exception of the tracks I just highlighted that you neglected to mention.

I agree with your assessment of the low points of the album, except "W.T.P.", that's kind of a guilty pleasure for me, and I think that was the intent.

BTW "Almost Famous" is prolly my favorite track on the album.

You review was good, but incomplete.

JakobR
07-09-2010, 08:48 AM
Agree with 90 % you said in the Recovery-review. Although I would have liked him to rap his verses I only found the singing annoying on You're never over. I wouldn't say that he's singing on Cold wind blows - thought it was a nice little intro to the track and the album, might have worked better as a seperate skit.

As the guy mentioned above me, I'm a little surprised that you didn't mention Cinderella Man, Seduction and Space bound.
I'm not really buying this "he has become what he hated". It's been 11 years since the release of SSLP so I reckon he has just changed - after all there was a female pop singer on the first three albums anyway.

If he had made the album shorter/excluded some of the tracks it would have been really good.

I always enjoy your posts, Claa. Fair and constructive critiscm in every post.

EDIT: One of my main issues with the album is probably some of the punchlines. Sometimes they just seem a little too forced.

Mr. R&B
07-09-2010, 09:21 AM
^ I agree, some of the punchlines on the album are really awkward and contrived.

benzo
07-09-2010, 09:55 AM
You know I'll be in the HIGO thread when I have a couple minutes to put a thoughtful post down...

claaa7
07-10-2010, 05:03 AM
I'll speak on your review of Recovery.

I don't know if it was intentional, but you didn't mention "Seduction" "Space Bound" and "Cinderella Man".

"Seduction" was a similar, but better metaphoric concept than "25 To Life".

In which Em insists nobody can entice this bitch and leave her sprung like he can, that bitch being Hip-Hop.

I'm starting to think that "Space Bound" might be a metaphor for his love-hate relationship with drugs and the turning point in which he decided to get clean.

It's kind of like a goodbye letter to an entity that was a part of his life for so long.

Now that may be totally incorrect or a reach, I just don't think the song is to be taken at face value, but I'm probably wrong.

"Cinderella Man" is one of the handful of absolutely insane performances on the LP, and one of the few songs in which Em doesn't sing a hook or bridge.

He spazzed on that shit...sick wordplay, dope punches, out of this world hyperbolie.

I'd say your review was well thought out, with the exception of the tracks I just highlighted that you neglected to mention.

I agree with your assessment of the low points of the album, except "W.T.P.", that's kind of a guilty pleasure for me, and I think that was the intent.

BTW "Almost Famous" is prolly my favorite track on the album.

You review was good, but incomplete.

thx for the feedback man, it's appreciated! yeah me not reviewing these songs was done purposely, they were basically songs i didn't feel were either wack or good (besides "Cinderella Man") which i liked. i didn't want to do a track-by-track review off this (i'm more or less through with those type of reviews) but rather focus on the songs that really felt important to dissect - in other words; the real bangers or the real straight ass material and as such a review i think i did a pretty good job (altho i think it might be a little too long either way). but once again props to you man for taking the time and reading the review + coming with some constructive critiscism.

Agree with 90 % you said in the Recovery-review. Although I would have liked him to rap his verses I only found the singing annoying on You're never over. I wouldn't say that he's singing on Cold wind blows - thought it was a nice little intro to the track and the album, might have worked better as a seperate skit.

peace Jakob (that's my name too lol)! yeah to each his own but i really don't think Em has the voice or enough soul to be singing on more or less every song. and i never had a problem with singing in hip-hop, but only if the singer can sing and put the soul in their voice (unlike Em, Pink and Rhianna) and that 30 second acapella intro is some of the most awkward and painful things i've heard on an album i actually enjoys (but i respect your opinion regardless).

I'm not really buying this "he has become what he hated". It's been 11 years since the release of SSLP so I reckon he has just changed - after all there was a female pop singer on the first three albums anyway.Em was dissing mainstream artists all the way through "Relapse" or at the very least "Encore" and every man can change his view on things. BUT Rhianna and Pink is the N'Sync type people of today, and they are only there for one reason and one reason only - because they are what the mainstream considers "hot" and i would be willing to bet my apartment that was the label's decision and not Mathers.

and 3 pop singers on his first 3 albums?? hmmm? where? they sampled Dido for "Stan" (without a doubt one of Eminem's best songs of all time, the atmosphere, the chorus, the topic, the lyrics and of course one of the best beats Em ever spat on) but that's a big, big difference because she's a very different type of artist. and Dina Rae sing on the other albums, but she is not a pop star by any means?! i'm not hating on Eminem for using vocalists, i wish he would've done that alot more rather than doing the hooks himself - but the two he choose is even worse. Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige, Bilal, D'Angelo, Truth Hurts, John Legend would all been alot better choices.

If he had made the album shorter/excluded some of the tracks it would have been really good.

I always enjoy your posts, Claa. Fair and constructive critiscm in every post.

EDIT: One of my main issues with the album is probably some of the punchlines. Sometimes they just seem a little too forced.

thx alot fam, and yeah i agree that with a better executive producer and the label giving him free hands i believe this could've been incredible. here's the tracklist i use for my iPod if anyone is interested:

01. "Cold Wind Blows" (-intro)
02. "Talkin' 2 Myself" (Ft. Kobe)
03. "On Fire"
04. "Ridaz"
05. "Session One" (Ft. Royce Da 5'9", Crooked I & Joell Ortiz)
06. "Going Through Changes"
07. "Not Afraid"
08. "No Love" (Ft. Lil' Wayne)
09. "Cinderella Man"
10. "25 to Life"
11. "So Bad"
12. "Almost Famous"
13. "Untitled/Havoc Shit"

JakobR
07-10-2010, 06:16 AM
peace Jakob (that's my name too lol)!

Any chance that you are from Denmark? :)

yeah to each his own but i really don't think Em has the voice or enough soul to be singing on more or less every song. and i never had a problem with singing in hip-hop, but only if the singer can sing and put the soul in their voice (unlike Em, Pink and Rhianna) and that 30 second acapella intro is some of the most awkward and painful things i've heard on an album i actually enjoys (but i respect your opinion regardless).

Never said he's a good singer or that he should sing but most of the time it's so computer generated that it isn't ruining it imo. There's a big difference between the singing in Not afraid and You're never over.

As for the intro to Cold wind blows I started appreciating it more after I listened to the track it was sampled from.

Em was dissing mainstream artists all the way through "Relapse" or at the very least "Encore" and every man can change his view on things. BUT Rhianna and Pink is the N'Sync type people of today, and they are only there for one reason and one reason only - because they are what the mainstream considers "hot" and i would be willing to bet my apartment that was the label's decision and not Mathers.

and 3 pop singers on his first 3 albums?? hmmm? where? they sampled Dido for "Stan" (without a doubt one of Eminem's best songs of all time, the atmosphere, the chorus, the topic, the lyrics and of course one of the best beats Em ever spat on) but that's a big, big difference because she's a very different type of artist. and Dina Rae sing on the other albums, but she is not a pop star by any means?! i'm not hating on Eminem for using vocalists, i wish he would've done that alot more rather than doing the hooks himself - but the two he choose is even worse. Alicia Keys, Mary J. Blige, Bilal, D'Angelo, Truth Hurts, John Legend would all been alot better choices.

I reckon many of the disses towards other artists on Relapse was just for the shock value since it was so superficial. I once read that the label more or less forced him to make Just lose it, wouldn't be surprised if it's the same case with We made you.

He's growing older just like everyone else. Would 2pac still be claiming thug life and all that if he was to release an album tomorrow?

I agree about Rihanna but I honestly just think it's a smart move to include her and not Dina Rae from the previous releases. While they both are good singers Ri is the only one that will attract new listeners. Maybe they tried to copy the success of Run this town where she almost sounded better than ever before.

Pink had the "rock voice" to give Won't back down the extra dimension - I can't think of anyone who could have done that as good as her.

thx alot fam, and yeah i agree that with a better executive producer and the label giving him free hands i believe this could've been incredible. here's the tracklist i use for my iPod if anyone is interested:

01. "Cold Wind Blows" (-intro)
02. "Talkin' 2 Myself" (Ft. Kobe)
03. "On Fire"
04. "Ridaz"
05. "Session One" (Ft. Royce Da 5'9", Crooked I & Joell Ortiz)
06. "Going Through Changes"
07. "Not Afraid"
08. "No Love" (Ft. Lil' Wayne)
09. "Cinderella Man"
10. "25 to Life"
11. "So Bad"
12. "Almost Famous"
13. "Untitled/Havoc Shit"

I don't wanna take anything away from Dre cus the bloke has been the man behind so many great albums out there. There's also a lot going on that a regular fan will never know.

Maybe wouldn't be bad with new thinking behind the next album though. He's been working with Dre for 11 years now so it probably wouldn't hurt.

His own "hate" on Relapse is just pathetic. In my opinion that was a much better album due to the heavy multisyllabic rhyming and creative flow diagrams (still in love with the story telling skills on Same song and dance). If it had been hailed as classic he wouldn't apology at all. As I see it it's just an attempt to win fans back.

beautifulrock
07-10-2010, 01:56 PM
It's better if I just say nothing.

claaa7
07-10-2010, 02:48 PM
^ that's usually the case

beautifulrock
07-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Tribune award winner 2007, 2009.

Nice try faggot.

claaa7
07-10-2010, 05:16 PM
ahahah shit, wu-tang forum awards wow :D

only reason you took that shit is cuz i rarely take the time to do reviews anyways and you know it

beautifulrock
07-11-2010, 04:05 AM
and because I'm a better writer

sdeblasi
07-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Tribune award winner 2007, 2009.

Nice try faggot.

lol i dont think thats something you should be mentioning, let alone bragging about