PDA

View Full Version : Tracks that insult certain areas of hip hop

Tommy
07-11-2010, 11:59 AM
Sure, we all love tracks that celebrate the way of life that is hip hop or celebrate any aspect of life. But what about the tracks that poke fun at the culture or even go all out and basically insult those involved?

Obviously I'm not talking about tracks saying "fuck hip hop, fuck rappers" (because how fucking stupid would that be? lmfao), but the tracks that are very commentarial in what they speak on. They could be talking about how they hate the way rappers do nothing but brag about meaningless things, the weak beats they use, where they see hip hop going, or on the topic of rappers trying to cater to a certain image in order to sell. I'm not looking for diss tracks exactly, just scathing attacks on certain individuals in the hip hop community or certain aspects of it.

I know this may be quite hard to understand so here's some examples of what I'm looking for:

De La Soul - Stakes Is High. This is probably my favourite track out of the few I'm posting. Trugoy and Pos hold nothing back as they go all out on what they hate about hip hop.

"I'm sick of bitches shaking asses, I'm sick of talkin' about blunts, sick of Versace glasses"

"Yo, it's about love for cars, love for funds
Loving to love mad sex, loving to love guns
Love for opposite, love for fame and wealth
Love for the fact of no longer loving yourself, kid"

JYw0NnHDRzc

The Roots - What They Do

qzacv8dtb4

And, of course, dead prez - Hip Hop

4jNyr6BJZuI

What are your thoughts on these types of tracks, and what are your favourites?

fatboybrandon
07-11-2010, 01:09 PM
I never thought about What They Do as a negative song even though Black Thought is speaking his mind in it about the industry negatives. The whole song is so mellow it makes me want to relax and forget about any wrongs of hip hop. It's good you made that point though about it and other songs, I have to go back and listen to those.

Check these:

-xT6vUy_b2o

Nas - Our Heroes off Street's Disciple
Mobb Deep - Peer Pressure, Cop Hell is more so about the street lifestyle that comes with hip hop
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - You're In Shambles is a real tight song from his 2nd solo album in 93
Masta Ace - Take A Look Around, Slaughterhouse - where he's mocking the horrorcore MCs in the video

remember The Storm by O.G.C. and they had a fake version of Biggie in the video during Starang's verse? I heard a couple stories about he got beatdown for that.

Heltah Skeltah - Doo Doo MCz
Lord Finesse - No Gimmicks feat. KRS One
Gangstarr - Suckas Need Bodyguards, Here Today Gone Tomorrow

djskillz
07-11-2010, 03:34 PM
^Starang did get beat up for it lol. He made a verse mentioning it.

"Up in D&D I caught two or three stitches I was still gettin bitches in the tunnel takin pictures"

food for thought
07-11-2010, 04:14 PM
lol since were posting examples, look no further:

BOtFcuDtOLU

I love it.

Tommy
07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
I never thought about What They Do as a negative song even though Black Thought is speaking his mind in it about the industry negatives. The whole song is so mellow it makes me want to relax and forget about any wrongs of hip hop. It's good you made that point though about it and other songs, I have to go back and listen to those.

To be fair, I think I used too strong a words when describing this thread, because I didn't want loads of negative minded songs disrespecting the state of hip hop. I just wanna see tracks that speak on the current situation of the culture and how they see it in the future.

Thanks for the contributions, though, Brandon.

Another example would be:

C99iG4HoO1c

etze
07-11-2010, 04:54 PM
hiphop is more than just a flow in a party..
big duke

Rayson
07-12-2010, 03:31 AM
To be fair, I think I used too strong a words when describing this thread, because I didn't want loads of negative minded songs disrespecting the state of hip hop. I just wanna see tracks that speak on the current situation of the culture and how they see it in the future.

Thanks for the contributions, though, Brandon.

Another example would be:

C99iG4HoO1c

This is the track I first thought of when I saw the thread. One of the best examples of what hip hop means to people. Common created an excellent and fair assessment of the state of the genre.

Twiztid-Wutang
07-12-2010, 02:45 PM
This says ALOT about the bullshit in Rap/Hip hop. More classic than I used to love h.e.r

B8e76XpXD1o

benzo
07-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Hip Hop Is Dead album, of course