PDA

View Full Version : Sampling Hip-Hop Songs

Mai Wang Tu Phat
07-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Me and some of my friends had mixed feelings about this, so I thought I'd ask what you guys think. Is it okay if producers in hip-hop sampled other hip-hop songs? Like if someone samples drums from a Dilla track and puts 'em in a beat, is that okay? Like before, everyone accused Kanye of "biting drums" from other producers, when producers sample drums from old records all the time. Now I'm not talking about quoting rhymes, but sampling the beat itself to get sounds, is that cool?

JakobR
07-12-2010, 10:56 AM
As long as they have permission from the musician I see no problem. They get their money and it's all good.

Sometimes I get to know a lot of new artists and tracks by checking out where people have sampled different stuff from.

It would be quite hypocritical if you only allow producers to sample from non-hip hop songs. Hip hop is simply not that holy if you ask me.

fatboybrandon
07-12-2010, 02:31 PM
Normally I don't agree with sampling elements of other songs unless it's a vocal part or a quote the producer/DJ is adding to their own creation, like the many DJ scratched vocal samples used over the years. If you're going to sample from another hip hop song, it should be something that's a staple of the culture that everyone knows.

If it's sampling drums from another hip hop song I think it's cool depending how it's done, I think it sounds good if it's from a bonafied classic record from the very early days. The problem is many of the songs coming out now are hear today gone tomorrow, not classic like the ones mentioned below, so I doesn't mean as much if people were to sample them:

gT9Oq3ISjfs

Dr. Dre did it on A Nigga Wit A Gun taking the drums of Whodini's Friends and made it sound real sinister, Pete Rock & Premier used drums from EPMD's 1st album on In The Flesh & Mass Appeal. Nas did it on If I Ruled The World and the song on Stillmatic where he was telling a story backwards. Premier did it again on You Know My Steez.

This is a good discussion because it brings up issues about the originality of today's hip hop songs overall and whether the records are classic enough that it would even mean anything if someone else sampled from them. I think many songs of today lack that originality even though the ideas have advanced.

When producers sampled from hip hop it was from songs that mean alot to the culture, not just any old song so it was like a statement and paying homage more than a necessity of sampling sounds.

PvaCe_kkkZU

used by Nas on Stillmatic

INF
07-12-2010, 02:34 PM
dope post Brandon. I would have repped but can't. Them Whoodini drums on Nigga wit a gun is some classick shit.

I have heard some fly shit that was sampled off hip-hop but I just don't see the sense in going there (as a producer).

its whatever though. if you flip it right and its hot ...its hot.

RynMur
07-12-2010, 02:49 PM
Don't tihnk it's a problem unless you straight up "steal it" without putting your touch on it.