PDA

View Full Version : Why do you think that Eminem still struggles

David Daniel Davis
07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
...to establish a black fanbase; he has been in the game for a decade now and it seems as though he is still not receiving his props from the black community; when ever I ask other blacks about him they usually say he is garbage or they cannot relate to him; do you think it may be hate on the low that they just do not want to admit? I was one of the few blacks to embrace Eminem straight from the start; all of his l.p.'s have debuted at number one except his first l.p.; which debuted at number two; so he must be doing something right
it must suck to be Eminem knowing you were one l.p. short of having all of your l.p.'s debut at number one and breaking D.M.X's record who debuted at number two with Year of the Dog...Again.

THUGNIFICENT
07-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I think it's Eminem's outward steez and the character he plays that throws most of the black audience off. Eminem is kind of a caricature of a typical white guy: pill popping; crazy and violent; and emo as a motherfucker. Most of my black friends, when I bring Em up, scoff and say they can't fuck with him because of the lyrical content; why would they wanna listen to some crazy white boy bitching about his mom? I think most hip-hop fans can find at least one Eminem song they like if they just listen, but that's me.

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
07-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I think it's Eminem's outward steez and the character he plays that throws most of the black audience off. Eminem is kind of a caricature of a typical white guy: pill popping; crazy and violent; and emo as a motherfucker. Most of my black friends, when I bring Em up, scoff and say they can't fuck with him because of the lyrical content; why would they wanna listen to some crazy white boy bitching about his mom? I think most hip-hop fans can find at least one Eminem song they like if they just listen, but that's me.

i am both an eminem fan and a bis fan and i love them both for what they do on the mic and some yeah sometimes eminem can be mad gimmicky at times. at the sametime dude can rhyme his ass off same with Bis so you can't tell me eminem can't rhyme i think people are just closed minded to eminem.

Mcthuggin99
07-12-2010, 04:37 PM
the white rapper that gets most love from black people is Paul Wall. dude came into the game and no one really cared that he was white. Em came in and everyone was like "ahh its another Vanilla Ice" or "he's trying to take rap away from black people"

THUGNIFICENT
07-12-2010, 04:40 PM
None of my black friends fuck with Bis either, so I don't get what you're trying to say. And yeah they can both rhyme, but that's not what this thread's about.

I was talking about how people perceive Em, which is in the gimmicky way. Whether or not he actually is gimmicky is irrelevant; since the reason that Em has such a small non-white fanbase is because of said perceptions, and not on actual emcee skills.

THUGNIFICENT
07-12-2010, 04:44 PM
the white rapper that gets most love from black people is Paul Wall. dude came into the game and no one really cared that he was white. Em came in and everyone was like "ahh its another Vanilla Ice" or "he's trying to take rap away from black people"
That's what I'm saying. Eminem, Paul Wall and Asher Roth are really the only white emcees to find any commercial success that past couple of years. (Right?) Asher and Em are almost white minstrel acts, both of them playing off stereotypes of white people in their image (crazy ass whiteboy who hates his parents whilst doing mad drugs; and partying college dude). They aren't accepted by non-white's because the way they hold and deliver themselves is so thoroughly white it doesn't speak to people if they aren't white. So, most non-white people see no reason to listen, since it doesn't seem like any of this is being made for them. Paul Wall, on the other hand, fits no such cliche and has been accepted.

Namean?

kingGirlfriend
07-12-2010, 06:21 PM
It's because he's a stiff tight-ass with an annoying voice and lame subject matter. He has technical skills but he has no presence. As much as he tries to be funny, he just isn't funny.

night pupil
07-12-2010, 08:10 PM
i just thought it was normal for black people to want to protect thier crown in the art they started... But how can i be a racist?? If i was a racist i would not wanna be one.. I feel I love all races.. This is stricking me like lighting in my heart, i feel like shit... I can't even eat food it looks disgusting to me...

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2010, 08:13 PM
Marshall Mathers FEARS Riff Raff and his Marc Jacob watches.

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2010, 08:39 PM
ACTUALLY..

He isn't struggling. The MLB and NBA licensed the rights for his "Not Afraid" song to be used during broadcast. I think even Mayweather used it during one of his pre-fight mini documentary videos.

That's millions in royalties. Probably more than GFK made in the last decade of album releases.

night pupil
07-12-2010, 09:33 PM
i'm not afraid of black people, I said tho i'm scared of dissing them and being a racist, which is I believe how my ocd works...

DirtMcgehrk
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
That's what I'm saying. Eminem, Paul Wall and Asher Roth are really the only white emcees to find any commercial success that past couple of years. (Right?) Asher and Em are almost white minstrel acts, both of them playing off stereotypes of white people in their image (crazy ass whiteboy who hates his parents whilst doing mad drugs; and partying college dude). They aren't accepted by non-white's because the way they hold and deliver themselves is so thoroughly white it doesn't speak to people if they aren't white. So, most non-white people see no reason to listen, since it doesn't seem like any of this is being made for them. Paul Wall, on the other hand, fits no such cliche and has been accepted.

Namean?

Exactly. Paul Wall doesn't make a big deal about his skin color in interviews or in his music. If I just heard Wall on a track without knowing anything else about him I'd think he was black.

ALCATRAZ
07-12-2010, 09:42 PM
no soul

EAGLE EYE
07-12-2010, 09:48 PM
i'm not afraid of black people, I said tho i'm scared of dissing them and being a racist, which is I believe how my ocd works...

Apparently you don't even understand what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder really entails.

Stop using acronyms out of context.

Mr. R&B
07-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Who cares if Paul Wall gets accepted by non-whites, he's WACK AS FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

It's impossible to find a Paul Wall verse and say "Holy shit, that's technical brilliance!" or "Nobody can see this dude lyrically.".

Usually the people who say shit like that about Em are closeted racists and listen to some of the wackest motherfuckers on the planet.

I'm far from an Eminem apologist, I downright can't stand some of his music.

But to act like nothing he's ever done is worth a shit is ignorant.

Mcthuggin99
07-12-2010, 10:11 PM
Who cares if Paul Wall gets accepted by non-whites, he's WACK AS FUUUUUUUUUUCK!

It's impossible to find a Paul Wall verse and say "Holy shit, that's technical brilliance!" or "Nobody can see this dude lyrically.".

Usually the people who say shit like that about Em are closeted racists and listen to some of the wackest motherfuckers on the planet.

I'm far from an Eminem apologist, I downright can't stand some of his music.

But to act like nothing he's ever done is worth a shit is ignorant.
paul wall gots some dope songs, you probably just havent looked for any

Mcthuggin99
07-12-2010, 10:15 PM
and another white rapper that's dope as fuck is Lil Wyte, now he goes out and calls himself white, but his first album was playing in more hoods than Slim Shady LP did

im not saying Em is wack or anything, cuz there's no denying that he's in the Top 10, but as far as being accepted by all races, he's not really there. sure there's black people that are Em fans, but thats a big minority

Mr. R&B
07-12-2010, 10:20 PM
I've heard plenty of Paul Wall & Lil Wyte, I'm in the south, I can't get away from that type of shit.

But God do I want to.

night pupil
07-13-2010, 10:17 AM
Apparently you don't even understand what Obsessive Compulsive Disorder really entails.

Stop using acronyms out of context.

what do i got then if it's not Obsessive Compulsive Disorder??

kingGirlfriend
07-13-2010, 11:12 AM
no soul

Exactly. No funk. No style. He's comes off as very cold and distant.

Look at successful white RnB cats that black folks dig; Robin Thicke, Jon B., etc. Look at how they carry themselves and their art, their soul and their swagger. Eminem has all of the skill and none of the heart.

im not saying Em is wack or anything, cuz there's no denying that he's in the Top 10, ...

Top Ten what?

DUMBO
07-13-2010, 12:50 PM
It's because we love our mothers. And even when we don't love our mother, we don't tell anyone, especially not the entire world.

White peopple love eminem because white people, generally, hate their mothers and want to ice that bitch in front of the whole world.

Mr. R&B
07-13-2010, 09:50 PM
^ True, I can't stand mine.

She's a cunt.

AliJack
07-14-2010, 05:25 AM
lol when did parental respect die

YungSunny
07-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Eminem sounds like he's getting anally penetrated by mandingo in all of songs. I don't hate him, I just always get a mental picture of him getting fucked in the ass and sweat and tears simultaneously dripping down his face. I don't want homoerotic pictures while I listen to hip hop, that's contradicting. Same reason I don't listen to lil wayne. I get a picture of kermit the frog jacking off everytime I hear wayne's voice. It's uncomfortable. I'm surrounded by country white chicks listening to wayne all the time and I keep picturing for dick. What part of the game is that?

Mr. R&B
07-14-2010, 01:02 PM
Lol wut?

issues
07-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Eminem sounds like he's getting anally penetrated by mandingo in all of songs. I don't hate him, I just always get a mental picture of him getting fucked in the ass and sweat and tears simultaneously dripping down his face. I don't want homoerotic pictures while I listen to hip hop, that's contradicting. Same reason I don't listen to lil wayne. I get a picture of kermit the frog jacking off everytime I hear wayne's voice. It's uncomfortable. I'm surrounded by country white chicks listening to wayne all the time and I keep picturing for dick. What part of the game is that?

subliminally you love homoerotic visions.. thats why you continually masturbate whilst having these thoughts..

Mr. R&B
07-15-2010, 07:38 AM
lol when did parental respect die

When Eminem became popular...Duh. }:T

night pupil
07-15-2010, 11:55 AM
wow... lol.. when did you give up on telling the truth??

Robert
07-15-2010, 01:10 PM
Ignoring Em's perception in the 'black community', the great majority of people that buy Hip Hop albums and go to Hip Hop shows are white. I don't know if it's rejction as such, just a reflection of the people that listen to Hip Hop.

YungSunny
07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
^you're white

Dr. Simon Hurt
07-15-2010, 07:50 PM
^and you're a closet queer that pictures gay sex and puppets masturbating when listening to rap songs.

JASPER BEARDLY
07-15-2010, 10:43 PM
this is a stupid discussion

ppl with disposable money that like hip hop a lot buy it regardless of color and those that love and respect the artists go out and buy it regardless. color doesn't really have much to do with it.

ThroughYaArea
07-16-2010, 06:57 AM
eminem gets mad love from the black peeps here in VA. just as much as any other rapper. not to mention the support from all of his peers. what da fuck you talkin about?

djskillz
07-16-2010, 07:01 AM
this is a stupid discussion

ppl with disposable money that like hip hop a lot buy it regardless of color and those that love and respect the artists go out and buy it regardless. color doesn't really have much to do with it.

^^this.

check two
07-16-2010, 01:32 PM
The answer is cause he doesn't hang out with enough fat white women. He needs to bring more of those heffers on stage during the concerts.

Undiluted Karma
07-16-2010, 04:57 PM

That "crazy and violent" stereotype can be applied easily to african americans too mang. not my views, im not racist but im just saying.
wtf is this aversion i see to not listening to some rappers just because they are white? not saying its your views but its fucking lame, hip hop is meant to be universal right?

if a susan boyle lookalike motherfucker has dope lyrics and flow i really couldnt give a flying fuck they will have a special place among my media library along with RZA, Killah Priest and Jus Allah

i also love how some hip hop heads claim to not care about the petty image that perpetuates commercial listeners view of rap and decision to listen to it but won;t listen to a mc just because hes white without giving them a chance as you would any artist? smh

im not a huge fan of eminem cuz i dont like alot of his lyrical content
but if it was a black or latino/hispanic dude rhyming about his daughter and wanting to kill his wife i still wouldnt listen to him.

i aint hating on u dude just my 2 cents rants not aimed at you

rant over
peace!

Undiluted Karma
07-16-2010, 05:04 PM
On a side note, anyone who hasnt listened to R.A. The Rugged Man, Vinnie Paz(especially in the Psycho Social and VBD Era), Apathy, Celph Titled, Mike Shinoda(of Linkin Park) some of Serj Tankians(System of a Down) rapping and even Bomshot(hey i know nooone on here likes him but i think hes a good rapper) is missing out imo(of course thats subjective)
all good caucasian rappers
peace

YungSunny
07-16-2010, 07:36 PM
^and you're a closet queer that pictures gay sex and puppets masturbating when listening to rap songs.
I didn't expect anybody to use my own post against me as an insult, I really didn't. you get points for originality man.
The answer is cause he doesn't hang out with enough fat white women. He needs to bring more of those heffers on stage during the concerts.
You have a fixation with black stereotypes, do I have to make a list of how many times you said "oversized white t-shirts"?

check two
07-16-2010, 08:02 PM
^^
Sitting next to a fat white girl while typing that.

EAGLE EYE
07-16-2010, 09:15 PM

LOL

you 90's babies are on a whole other level of FUCT.

BLACK BART SIMPSON
07-16-2010, 09:46 PM
blacks listen to eminem the reason he's not making very good tracks right now because he's clean now...the drugs made em..