PDA

View Full Version : Lord Finesse "There will never be another Big L album"

Durag
07-13-2010, 02:53 AM
This is taken from hiphopdx.com

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.11686/title.lord-finesse-says-there-will-never-be-another-big-l-album

Lord Finesse Says There Will "Never" Be Another Big L Album
July 12, 2010 09:44:00 AM CDT | by Paul W Arnold
Share59

On Friday, (July 9), the leader of the Digginí In The Crates crew, Lord Finesse, spoke to HipHopDX for the siteís soon-to-be-published piece ďThe Making of Big Lís Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & Dangerous.Ē The definitive feature will commemorate this yearís 15th anniversary of the albumís release and coincide with this monthís re-issuing by Traffic Entertainment of Lís often overlooked classic debut from 1995 on double-vinyl.

In the deeply personal final moments of his interview with DX on Friday, Finesse passionately explained why there has yet to be a second posthumous Big L album to follow the gold certified The Big Picture. While last year during interviews with MTV and DJ Premierís LiveFromHQ show on Sirius Finesse revealed the circumstances surrounding the delay, never before has Big Lís big brother in the Rap game spoken with the detail and directness about the situation as Finesse did during his discussion with DX, (candor that Lís mentor initially wanted off-the-record before allowing his statements to be presented to the public).

HipHopDX: Any archived Big L material still to be released? Thereíve always been talks of some sort of posthumous album after The Big Picture, [so] is anything coming?

Lord Finesse: Never.

DX: Is it because youíre tapped out [of L material]Ö?

Lord Finesse: No, itís a few pieces out there. Itís just moreÖhmmmÖokay, off the record -

DX: Oh, off the record, alright [Laughs].

Lord Finesse: Okay, off the record, Big Lís moms, [Gilda ďPinkyĒ Terry], raised him, his whole life. His father abandoned him. Since he was a kid, just straight never was in his life at all. No Christmas, no Thanksgivings, none of that. No birthday cards, none of that. When L passed and this dude, this fuckiní faggot pops, found out how popular he was he now wanted to become a part of Big Lís life, and fought to get royalties and stuff that was really due to his moms. Now [two years ago], Pinky passes, whoís Big Lís moms. So now, since heís the father, even though heís never been there, [for his] kidís whole career, his whole life, by law, and by blood, heís in charge [of Lís estate] now. And I canít see none of my blood, sweat and tears and efforts being put together for some dude to get credit that was Ė You ainít even claim this kid as your son.

DX: Did he sue you for masters; did he try to get tapes from you?

Lord Finesse: [He] canít sue nothing; you canít look for something you donít know about. It ainít even like he knows about Big Lís career. He donít even know none of Big Lís songs! How is he going around suing anything? What are you suing for; what are you looking for?!

DX: And, let me just ask, why canít I put this on the record? Iíd really, really, really like to put this on the record. I mean, why donít you want this on the record?

Lord Finesse: Nah, Ďcause itís really nobodyís business. Itís just Ė I stated it a couple of times publicly [last year]. But, thatís just it, man. Iím really tired of talking about [what could have been], because it was a lineup where me and [DJ] Premier was gonna do it together. It was systematically put in place, everything. We was gonna go back to The Big Picture album, we was gonna remix some of those songs Ė the way that album shoulda sounded. ĎCause we felt like The Big Picture album was all over the place Ė on certain collaborations, the sound, everything. So, between a mixture of unreleased songs, [and] some remixes, we was gonna really do this over Ė with Premier reaching out to Jay-Z, and I think [Big Daddy] Kane was on call, and I pulled a favor with Shady [Records] about Eminem. It was on tap to go down. It was on tap to go down like bigger than ever before. But, whoís gonna do all this work for the proceeds to go to this nigga? That just really donít make no sense. If anybody can ever explain to me howÖit can be done without this nigga getting anything, [then] itíll happen.

DX: Let me just ask you again Ė I never do thisÖif someone tells me itís off the record, itís off the record, [but] Iím just gonna start begging, please, please let me put this on the record. I mean, Ďcause I donít think as many people know about this as you think they do.

Lord Finesse: YeahÖI mean, you can put it on the record. I mean, Iíve said it beforeÖ Itís [just] a shame that we canít do [that album], but Iím not gonna be financially responsible for this nigga getting paid, man, Iím just not. I spoke to him, because Big Lís moms said the dude wanted to speak to me, and [so] we talked. And at the time he was paid off, as far as The Big PictureÖ He got paid off not to get anything from Big Lís future royalties, period. But once [Big Lís mother] passed, itís like that contract is dead now. [Since then heís been like], ďYo, where these songs at? I wanna do a project. I love my son.Ē And itís hard to swallow that. Itís hard to hear somebody that abandoned they Ė How the fuck do you abandon your son? ďIím so proud of my son.Ē Just to hear that statement made me wanna choke the shit out of him. Because if you was so proud why did you leave him? Thatís never gonna really rub well with me. And itís a shame, because I represent L to the day of my death, man. Until I canít do Hip Hop no more I will represent this dude to the fullest, but not if it means getting somebody else rich. Not if it means putting money in somebody elseís pocket. And it hurts, because you got fans out here that look at L as their hero, their unsung heroÖand we canít really give him the necessary project he deserves.

Stay tuned to HipHopDX for ďThe Making of Big Lís Lifestylez Ov Da Poor & DangerousĒ feature, which will include never-before-published information and insight about Lís classic debut. For instance, did you know Lís debut was originally to be titled Murder Inc.? Or that The Notorious B.I.G. got the idea for his breakthrough remix to ďOne More ChanceĒ while touring with L? Or that then L protťgť Mase was intentionally left off of the posse cut ď8 Iz EnuffĒ? Or that a battle between Big L and Jay-Z in Harlem is what led to Hovaís appearance on ďDa GraveyardĒ? Stay tuned to DX to find out the full details of those tantalizing tidbits of info and much, much moreÖ

Thats fucked up about L's father, and if thats were the royalties would have gone then Finesse is right. Shame though, i agree with Finesse about "The Big Picture", its a dope album no doubt, but the production was a bit lacking on some tracks and it was a bit all over the place, more like a collection of songs at times than an album. Looking foward to the making of "Lifestyles..." though.

Ps, has anyone heard any update on the Big L documentary that was supposed to be released early this year? i havent heard any news on it at all.

djskillz
07-13-2010, 03:12 AM
that's fucked up. really fucked up. finesse is right though. fuck that nigga try'na make some cash off his dead son when he was never there when he was livin.

claaa7
07-13-2010, 03:39 AM
word, i saw that the other day. that's a goddamn shame, that's what it is. i really wanted to hear a "new" album by Big L and the way 'Ness described it here it sounds like an incrediblre record. fucked up we never gonna hear it tho.

on the good side we're gonna get "THE MAKING OF LIFESTYLEZ OV DA POOR & DANGEROUS" through HipHopDX.com in a minute according to that article. that will be a great read, i love all those articles that XXL did on classic hip-hop joints.

djskillz
07-13-2010, 03:40 AM
i still have to read the making of "AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted"

deeznutz1981
07-13-2010, 07:05 AM
i'm not giving up hope on this next Big L album. Hopefully his pops has an accident and dies. fuck him! greedy low life fuck. The way Finesse described that album would have been fuckin insane! Finesse and Premier beats??? an eminem feature???? holy fuck i hate L's so called father!

and fuck solar too!

claaa7
07-13-2010, 07:06 AM
i'm not giving up hope on this next Big L album. Hopefully his pops has an accident and dies. fuck him! greedy low life fuck. The way Finesse described that album would have been fuckin insane! Finesse and Premier beats??? an eminem feature???? holy fuck i hate L's so called father!

and fuck solar too!

word if that faggot really cared for his sons legacy as he was trying to tell Finesse he would've stepped back and said that he didn't want any money from this project.

benzo
07-13-2010, 09:24 AM
i woulda rather not even known about this album that could've been. damn...

Tecknowledgist
07-13-2010, 07:24 PM
hopefully his pops dies. soon.

i mean that in the nicest way.

Mr. R&B
07-13-2010, 10:50 PM
i woulda rather not even known about this album that could've been. damn...

I agree.

Especially the fact that Finesse and Preemo would've been the ones helming the project.

I guess they could just release it for free on the net.

But then L's deadbeat daddy would probably try to sue or some such nonsense.

Fuck that dude.

Paranoid
07-13-2010, 11:53 PM
fuckin lame...

chiba
07-14-2010, 12:22 AM
i'm not giving up hope on this next Big L album.
The way Finesse described that album would have been fuckin insane! Finesse and Premier beats??? an eminem feature???? holy fuck

and fuck solar too!

co sign to the fullest