PDA

View Full Version : I think producers are better today then they were in the 90s.

TSA
08-10-2010, 11:53 PM
though they may not be making the sound you and I like most, they are far more skilled today at making beats then they were in the 90s and work at a superhuman volume.

a big part of it is technology, but the structure, refinement and intricacy of today's major producers is unmatched. as people have more access of the equipment needed to make beats, it's become clear and obvious that a lot of the beats in the 90s good or bad, aren't hard to duplicate and didn't take that long to make

manhattan360
08-11-2010, 12:07 AM
What did nt take that long to make you bugging the f out. You had to go shop for records cut the samples up then set it up beat mpc what ever they had back then and load it up into to does big Tapes. Now days you can find music so quick it aint funny i guess

beautifulrock
08-11-2010, 12:18 AM
Why does everybody have to post like Killbot?
http://l.yimg.com/ds/orion/us/omg/10wk31/geevb4otpksq67ey3nmm42cjo4/i2uwd4q/article_image.jpg

claaa7
08-11-2010, 12:43 AM
you clearly don't know how records like "Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop" (Diamond D) were created. it wasn't nothing about looping, you had to dig for obscure but dope shit as a daily routine, listen to music for hours upon hours just to hear a bassline you could use. then some more hours to find a drumbeat you could fatten up, take some horns from another record, maybe spice it up with some obscure vocal sample no one else was fucking with. taking 7 records, sampling them, and make 1 banger that sounds totally IN KEY with all the elements - that's how alot of the classics were made. today producers has it ALOT easier, look at Kanye - he just steal the drums from some Dre or Pete Rock for his hits.

Durag
08-11-2010, 02:50 AM
Claaa got it right on. Nowadays theres hundreds of cds and download packs you can buy which contain thousands of drum samples, bass samples, horn samples etc, so you can just pick whichever one you want without having to spend days going through records.

Producers nowadays arent more skilled, they just have far more to work with, along with all the programs like Reason and Fruity Loops and its far easier to make beats now than it was in the 90's.

Paranoid
08-11-2010, 07:20 AM
samples sound more authentic have more soul compared to cheezy synthesized electronic sounds

MaskedAvenger
08-11-2010, 07:50 AM
A lot of today's producers, their beats sound plastic. 2 years later they already sound outdated.

fatboybrandon
08-11-2010, 07:54 AM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4113VC8622L._SL500_.jpg

Yes, A big part of it definitely is technology, producers and people in today's society are either getting real work done online/offline to profit from or trapped in casual online communication racking up thousands of posts on forums like this. For free.

Technology is everywhere, yet the world is in recession partly because of those who continue to waste their lives online, which is sad. The younger generation is being fooled and brainwashed by the day, it shows in their so called online reputation or the music if their making it.

If today's generation of late teen, early 20 year olds keep wasting away online instead of using that time towards a benefit and purpose, I'm afraid of what the rest of society will be years from now. I'll most likely be done posting here within another couple hundred posts, but I'm happy to serve anyone as a figure of guidance, advice and support.

TAURO
08-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Claaa got it right on. Nowadays theres hundreds of cds and download packs you can buy which contain thousands of drum samples, bass samples, horn samples etc, so you can just pick whichever one you want without having to spend days going through records.

Producers nowadays arent more skilled, they just have far more to work with, along with all the programs like Reason and Fruity Loops and its far easier to make beats now than it was in the 90's.

Mr. R&B
08-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Claaa7 & Durag nailed it.

There really isn't any more that has to be said.

THE MASON
08-11-2010, 09:26 AM
you clearly don't know how records like "Stunts, Blunts & Hip-Hop" (Diamond D) were created. it wasn't nothing about looping, you had to dig for obscure but dope shit as a daily routine, listen to music for hours upon hours just to hear a bassline you could use. then some more hours to find a drumbeat you could fatten up, take some horns from another record, maybe spice it up with some obscure vocal sample no one else was fucking with. taking 7 records, sampling them, and make 1 banger that sounds totally IN KEY with all the elements - that's how alot of the classics were made. today producers has it ALOT easier, look at Kanye - he just steal the drums from some Dre or Pete Rock for his hits.

cosign these posts

and a lot of the producers i work with still work in this fashion, its not an easy process. producers just have easier access to equipment and now are becoming more versitile in the game, not only do they produce but they mix and master there own music at higher quality, which makes it sound better

Undiluted Karma
08-11-2010, 10:02 AM
i prefer the 90's sound. Producers may be utilising tech better but im all for the 90's.

Sense-A
08-11-2010, 10:05 AM
Then how come I still like music from the 90s better? Where is the evidence of this alleged progression in production skills? Because all I've been hearing is watered down crap.

The best production these days are still the same cats that were doing it in the early 90s. Pete Rock, DJ Premier, Dr. Dre, etc. etc. Not to mention that producers are still using the same equipment from the 90s. Maybe you don't have to use DAT tapes anymore. big deal. I don't think that producers today are any better than they were in the 90s.

DrunkenMasta303
08-11-2010, 10:54 AM
lol give kanye a SP1200 (with max 2.5sec of sampling time) and dude will be Fukked!

Sense-A
08-11-2010, 11:45 AM
lol give kanye a SP1200 (with max 2.5sec of sampling time) and dude will be Fukked!

As far as i know, kanye is using an ensoniq that was designed and manufactured in the 80s. Actually i know this as a fact because i've seen it in youtube videos of him producing.

What new hardware samplers/sequencers have come out in this decade that are huge improvements from 80s/90s hardware? None. Your little usb and midi controllers are shit compared to the vintage hardware. You might have more sampling time but there are ways around that anyways. The best hardware coming out today purposely mimics the vintage hardware. Even your software VSTs are designed to look like and mimic the sound and functions of vintage hardware.

Regardless of the technology, the production is only as good as the producer. 90s hip hop production was far superior to what i've heard in the last 10 years. And I wish we could un-invent software effects such as auto-tune. Drake would be unemployed.

benzo
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
And I wish we could un-invent software effects such as auto-tune. Drake would be unemployed.

pop music would cease to exist

kingGirlfriend
08-11-2010, 03:15 PM
Everything sounds overproduced these days while at the same time it doesn't sound as lush or atmospheric as 90's production. Technology can only take you so far and today's producers, even the same cats that were around in the 90's, are lacking inspiration.

djskillz
08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
that's why i respect people like madlib who despite having the access to newer technology he still uses the older methods to make his beats. giving him a more authentic hip hop sound even if the way the song is structured isnt your traditional hip hop sound.