PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who...

Tommy
08-11-2010, 06:52 PM
...prefers Organized Konfusion's debut to their second?

Don't get me wrong, both are two banging albums which helped shape hip hop (especially underground) immensley and inspired many more groups to step up to the mark. Prince Po and Pharoahe are about as skilled as two MC's can possibly get; they are intelligent, they flow beautifully over any beat with great delivery and they cover a range of different topics while still making you rock your head and say to yourself, "Damn, that's talent".

Both albums are brilliant and similar in many ways, but you can clearly see the transition from the first to the second. Organized's self-titled debut is a lot more free flowing, light hearted and party orientated compared to the second's (Stress: The Extinction Agenda) darker tone and serious subject matter.

Personally, I just appreciate the more funkier and jazzier side to the first as it is something you could put on at a party or just sit out and chill to, which is reflected in Po and Monch's styles. The second, as explained above, is a lot more bugged out with the two rappers seeming a lot more crazier, paranoid, and pissed off. I don't mind when artists go down the grimmer route, but I always prefer the funkier grooves as opposed to smoked out, dirty head bangers.

Two great albums which I see lauded with praise, but it's always "Stress" that people seem to enjoy more. What're your thoughts?

(Stress definitley had the better artwork, though.)

http://www.amoeba.com/dynamic-images/blog/billyjam/081-BITD_OK03.jpg
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_o8qpBVw27yc/RxvVfwStjnI/AAAAAAAAAII/ci0IaP5I9_Y/s400/00-organized_konfusion-stress-the_extinction_agenda-1994-bm.jpg

spiggity_ace
08-11-2010, 08:37 PM
i like the first betrter too, my fav track is releasing hypnotical gases, monche is spittin prophecy on there just look at whats goin on today

djskillz
08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I can't even choose between em to be honest. I'd feel bad about downplaying the other. That's why I listen to 'em one after the other.

fatboybrandon
08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Yeah, that debut album has a feel to it like none other, those were the days of loop/sampling freedom + alot of talented artist's debuts tend to have a certain magic to it. This is the case for many 90's albums

Extinction had more of a dark, frantic feel in the songs, the title song Stress says it all. Their debut was more of a cool out album full of jazz & soul, they still used jazz on Stress but it was mostly designed toward darkness. I love the soulful songs on there like Why? and Organize.

That kid Matt Doo who did the Stress artwork died years ago, Kweli shouted him out on the 2nd to last song on Train Of Thought. I remember meeting Pharoahe and Po at a radio station called 90.3 WHCR Radio in Harlem back when Equinox was out. They were promoting the album in an interview, I remember Po was eating chicken & broccoli from the Chinese restaurant str8 out the foam container in between breaks. The former host of the radio show is on the album version intro of Wu Tang's Protect Ya Neck.

Both albums have something about them I like because of the memories I get from living through each era so I can't really choose. Their debut might have a slight edge above the 2nd LP to me.

http://jazzbluesclub.com/uploads/posts/thumbs/1216735606_les_mccann.jpg

Here's a clip for the drums to "Southside": Les McCann - North Carolina: http://iLike.com/s/C7be

djskillz
08-11-2010, 10:36 PM
word? i didnt know that guy died. RIP. The artwork is half the reason why that album is so great.

MaskedAvenger
08-12-2010, 03:06 AM
Hmm its tough, but I think I like their second album better.

Tommy
08-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Exactly, Brandon, good post. "Why", "3-2-1", and "Let's Organize" are my favourite tracks off it as well.

Anybody else prefer the first?

Durag
08-15-2010, 05:33 PM
I prefer their first album as well. Im surprised nobody has mentioned "Prisoners Of War", Pharoahe Monches second verse is absolutly fucking crazy, one of his greatest verses EVER without a doubt, and doesnt seem to be mentioned in the same vein as his verse in "Bring It On", which is another extraordinary verse, but imo his second verse on "Prisoners Of War" may even outshine that.