PDA

View Full Version : Jazz Rap Appreciation

Tommy
08-15-2010, 03:41 PM
Not a lot I can say about jazz rap, apart from that I love it. And from this love I want to create a playlist of all the dopest jazz rap tracks ever created.

Can people who also love it post up some of their favourite tracks from this sub-genre, new or old, and the more the better!

I'm also interested in all the samples that a lot of the tracks were built upon, so if you know them and have a good source feel free to put them up (I know this is your element, Brandon!).

Thanks.

Some of my favourites from the genre:

Jb5o3JwbjqU

^I can't recommend this album enough, I've been listening to it a lot recently and can't get enough of it. Simply amazing.

FyW1v8_QlIQ

^I love the sax sample in this, completely elevates the track to a new level. LL spitting hillarious and spiteful lyrics over a chilled out beat, nobody is fucking with it.

LPCX5pHmVTQ

^Fuck the haters, Jay-Z killed this whole album; even when he got outshined on Renegade by a peak Em (no shame in that), he came hard. Anyway, this is a dope jazzy beat with a lovely horn solo at the end.

nCnqDvvZrcM

^Probably my favourite Nas track. No more needs to be said on this one.

jJXyZeyNuFI

^Another great horn solo from a killer track. Anyone ever checked out their albums?

Feel free to put up any tracks. I'm not bothered if you don't put up videos, just give me your favourite jazz hip hop songs and albums, and don't be worried if they seem too "obvious", what may be obvious to you may not be obvious to someone else.

Thanks again.

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Krayzie and Bizzy from the 90s were the greatest jazz improv vocalist influenced rappers ever seen to me, followed by FF

probably more so krayzie, just, but bizzy in this track gives a PERFECT examplo of jazz improv vocal styling

69t3MTKa_O0

and kray got the best jazz improv voice i ever heard

W6lgTCzTJBk

Ga8JGTOdYnY

kray and bizz styles alays reminding of those way back in the days dudes who just used to make up words but flow them in rythems

or somethnig along the lines of MJ"s mama-say-mamasay-ma-makusa type shit to go further back on some african improv shit

Undiluted Karma
08-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Krayzie and Bizzy from the 90s were the greatest jazz improv vocalist influenced rappers ever seen to me, followed by FF

probably more so krayzie, just, but bizzy in this track gives a PERFECT examplo of jazz improv vocal styling

69t3MTKa_O0

and kray got the best jazz improv voice i ever heard

W6lgTCzTJBk

Ga8JGTOdYnY

kray and bizz styles alays reminding of those way back in the days dudes who just used to make up words but flow them in rythems

or somethnig along the lines of MJ"s mama-say-mamasay-ma-makusa type shit to go further back on some african improv shit

funny you should post those Art of War chill songs, you put me onto BTNH and i used to rinse those two chill tracks all the time, really beautiful,mellow songs, makes you think on life

Durag
08-15-2010, 04:50 PM
The Roots "Do You Want More" is a great jazz rap album, not my favourite of The Roots but a great album all the same. Guru's "Jazzmataz Vol. 1 and 2", are dope as fuck albums and Digable Planets and of course Tribe and De La all have great jazz rap albums.

Have to say as much as i love the genre, unless im in the mood i can find it a little boring, but thats just me and im not taking anything away from it as it has given us some of the best hip-hop ever.

oDoUoSoKo
08-15-2010, 05:00 PM
JKWBIxx_Y3Y

fatboybrandon
08-15-2010, 06:00 PM
Good choices Tommy, if I were thinking of jazz inspired songs to choose the ones you picked would definitely be in there. Wrong Side Of The Tracks has great jazz sounding horns, as does Life's A Bitch.

It's interesting that you feel Jazz with those songs even though they are actually made up of Soul, R&B elements. De La's Breakadawn is 1/3 Michael Jackson, Smokey Robinson and The Pointer Sisters. I can see how the parts you described hit you as Jazzy though, the Soul and R&B of the 70's was inspired by Jazz sometimes, so that comes out alot in the samples.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v738/Nexus_WR/PharcydeBizarreRide.jpg

The Pharcyde's debut is my favorite overall jazz-sound album, with Low End Theory in 2nd, thanks to Dusk for posting We Got The Jazz. Pete Rock said Q-Tip came to his house and stole the beat for that song lol.

The Roots' 2nd album definitely has a nice jazz vibe, great choice by Durag. The jazz influence on that one separate it from their later albums that went into Soul & Rock influences.

some of my favorites:
Nas - The World Is Yours for the jazz piano of Ahmad Jamal
Black Moon - Buck Em Down for the Byrd influence
O.C. - Times Up, Let It Slide and Word..Life for the upright bass and horns
Eric B & Rakim - Relaxed With Pep
Da Youngsta's - It'z Natural has ill horn sounds
Common - Black Maybe for the rhodes piano outro, I Am Music for the 2/4 jazz timing
Gangstarr - Mostly Tha Voice for the upright bass
InI - To Each His Own for the vibraphones and horns

MwGn2kS8bic

Shogah
08-15-2010, 08:44 PM
cgiG7WM8sQA

smooth

0U1UN4P9Mnw
eUawT_tl7sg&feature=related

Some intense shit also

The horns and bass on these
are..... no words

food for thought
08-15-2010, 08:49 PM
no mention of digable planets?

they are the gods of this shit.

i love this shit too.

Tommy
08-16-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the contributions everyone, much appreciated.

You're right about the De La track, Brandon, but I couldn't really find any more tracks on youtube to put up that represented that album. Plus, I'm not just looking for songs with strictly jazz based production with the horns and sax, but just songs with the chilled out, tranquil jazz style. So, stuff like this qualifies:

tYldm-zP4WU
gGbIpCJnmc0
^What's more chilled out than a Sade sample?
Kc8eD0prHIM

The Bizzy and Krayzie Bone examples are great as well, many thanks.

Some more favourites:

FbCcPFLftUQ
^I love the way Q-Tip just starts rambling on about different types of clothes. Can't beat it.

0GXl_gI4GEU
^My mind's gone blank on the jazzy spots from "Train of Thought" but I remember loving this chilled out cut.

X_PDns23RWY

^Say what you want about Will Smith, but this beat is chilled out perfection crafted by one of my favourite groups, Kool & The Gang:

5bfzWj5a_Y4

Keep 'em coming everyone, the more the better!

seywhat
08-16-2010, 11:59 AM
substantial pops into my head, cats always got dope flow over ill music

RIP Nujabes

Tommy
08-18-2010, 02:20 PM
DOaHLsNPM88

Can somebody do me a favour and post up some of Pete Rock's best jazzy beats? It'd be much appreciated.

fatboybrandon
08-18-2010, 03:32 PM
Nice choice in My Philospohy Tommy, that's a damn good horn sound they used on that song from Stanley Turrentine, probably one of the best horn sounds I've heard in all of Hip Hop. I have a video of KRS One (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2009/07/krs-fresh-prince-live-in-80s.html) performing the song on my blog, vintage video from the late 80's: http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2009/07/krs-fresh-prince-live-in-80s.html

di9khbwHzwY

I still love One In A Million by Pete & CL off the Poetic Justice soundtrack, the way CL is singing the chorus adds to the whole jazz feel of the song.

I can't be the final judge that these are Pete's best jazzy beats, but they are my personal favorites, they all have sounds in them you'd hear in traditional jazz/jazz fusion music, see how ya like em:

Pete Rock & C.L. Smooth - T.R.O.Y.

Nas - The World Is Yours

Go With The Flow has great flute sounds

Wig Out http://ow.ly/2rwNk

It's On You http://ow.ly/2rwP2

Sun Won't Come Out is one of the best flips of Nautilus I've heard http://ow.ly/2rwHe

Heavy D - Blue Funk he chopped up Lou Donalson crazy for that http://ow.ly/2rwPW

Petestrumentals - The Boss: nice piano http://ow.ly/2rwID

Deda Baby Pa - Do You Understand? I like how you hear the bare piano and upright bass sounds kick in at the start, now THAT definitely says "jazz" to me. Many good jazzy beats on that Deda album by Pete.

99Bck0eexZw

Tommy
08-18-2010, 03:39 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions, Brandon. I was hoping you'd make an appearance in this thread, this kind of hip hop seems to be your element.

I picked up Guru's Jazzmatazz at the record shop the other day for 2 (!), so looking forward to giving that a listen. Are there any modern producers that you know of who are making jazz orientated hip hop beats, by the way? It seems to have flourished in the 90's and then not much afterward.

benzo
08-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Low End Theory and Midnight Marauders own this thread

fatboybrandon
08-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Are there any modern producers that you know of who are making jazz orientated hip hop beats, by the way? It seems to have flourished in the 90's and then not much afterward.

Not that many that I know of, I think you're right about the exposure of the style over time, even people who used jazz heavy aren't really going that way anymore.

Try checking for J Rawls, Nicolay of Foreign Exchange, DJ Spinna, Damu The Fudgemunk, Koolade, Cook Classics, S1, Kev Brown and Oddisee. J Rawls is probably the jazziest of them all, the rest are like jazz/soul fusion. Madlib has done some interesting things with jazz too recently.

YpwQMl7BywI

War and Peace
08-18-2010, 04:02 PM
MF DOOM - Arrow Root
Kanye West - Drive Slow instrumental
Madlib - Slim's Return
Pete Rock - Straighten it Out

weFIJEn5lqY

MindzEye
08-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Nozh5l13Auo
FBPq8VXHmgY
ycAjY8nqK_g

Tommy
08-25-2010, 11:17 AM
ILA4I2JkFs0

Was listening to Enter the 36 Chambers the other day and realised this track has a nice jazzy feel to it, as hard as it is.

oldie
08-25-2010, 02:09 PM
I just bought Jazzmataz vol 2 (I have vol 1 aswell) I wasn't really digin numba 1 at 1st back in the day when I bought it but jus recently it's nice to chill too and I heard a track offa vol 2 I liked so I just recently bought it

Tommy
08-25-2010, 02:16 PM
C8VNrhEUs5s
^Used to bang this a lot back in the day, never heard anything else by him, though lol. Anyone know who produced this?

zF9vveBhOi0
^Great jazzy song by KRS. Anybody who listens to this and doesn't think he's one of the greats needs to reevaluate their stance on hip hop.

ICgE6mXzp34
HL9bRcU7BOk

Tommy
08-25-2010, 02:56 PM
weFIJEn5lqY

Oh, and props for posting that up. Really liked it. Are the other instrumentals on DOOM's albums jazzy like that?

iLLscan
08-25-2010, 07:52 PM
^Another great horn solo from a killer track. Anyone ever checked out their albums?

Artifacts first album is def worth the check if you like 90's East Coast type hip hop.

food for thought
08-30-2010, 10:30 PM
x4llUP4a3DI

serioussam
08-31-2010, 05:54 AM
Guru - Insert A (Menthal Relaxation) Medicine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WchH4vTJ2ls

This is one of the best smokin anthem ever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEACE

fatboybrandon
08-31-2010, 09:41 AM
Nice songs in here, I never heard that Styles P, Termanology Q-Tip song, good posse cut. That Procussions song is smooth with deep lyrical talent. I forgot about that Jazzmatazz song, I like it alot, from the sound of the beat to the weed smoking theme.

fZna5Q8m6uc

Nicolay (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/07/video-in-studio-with-nicolay-of-foreign.html) produced this gem for Little Brother, I like the jazzy horns and upbeat, feel-good vibe.

5JRD4C9R-UE

I think the live instrumentation is beautiful on this song, Kanye West (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/06/look-back-at-kanye-wests-behind-beats.html) did a good ass job.

3sADEt7m_-s

I don't know about other people, but this Gangstarr (http://cratesofjr.blogspot.com/2010/08/photos-my-trip-to-gangstarr-mural-bronx.html) song hits me as jazzy because of the piano sound.

QKcTM29Ng_w&p=7A6E3D8DFC201D7D&playnext=1&index=11

I like songs like this where you hear the jazz at the intro. Some of the darkest songs by Onyx are made mostly of jazz, they showed it doesn't always have to sound mellow when used in Hip Hop.

djskillz
08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Artifacts first album is def worth the check if you like 90's East Coast type hip hop.

Hell yeah. I forgot about them for a minute.

claaa7
09-01-2010, 02:34 AM
a few of my favorites. i don't really like "jazz rap" but i fucking love hip-hop based around jazz samples! The KRS track is produced by Showbiz (can't believe his work hasn't been mentioned in here yet) and the second track is DJ Evil Dee with that eviiiil sax sample that takes the song to another level (it's from a track called "Love Song to Catherine" by sax-player John Klemmer but can't find it on youtube.

OdCYCptUMsE
ORIGINAL SAMPLE:
GHgC8ueH048

TvJRC5-0Vy8

8JdOgkIi_io
for the Bobbi Humphrey sample
K6wkHpwS54Y

Tommy
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
Can people do me a favour, can you name the songs when you post them up? Just in case they get removed off youtube, thanks.

Been banging the classic album that is Tical lately, and I like the spaced out jazziness of "Stimulation":

rayrEsKDkyE

And, just a dope, chilled out classic from Outkast, "Jazzy Belle":

KJFurh4S5Og

Funkdoobiest "Rock On". I'm pretty sure this is a remix, can anyone clarify?

poiEcVlGL88&ob=av2n

Souls Of Mischief "93 'Til Infinity"

1mt3vZHDiM8

hide1998
09-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Of the newer groups, ShinSight Trio is prob my favorite of the Jazz/Rap genre. I highly recommend everyone get their two albums. Their newest, released this year, is one of my favorite hip-hop albums of 2010.

-The A to the Z-
09-27-2010, 03:51 PM
Shiii...for the first year or so after I started listening to hip-hop, I heard pretty much nothing other than Jazz Rap and Wu Tang.

There are some good hip hop bands about other than The Roots who do jazzy stuff:

HKfCZri9z6Q
Artofficial-Big City Bright Lights

VGVuM41U6KQ
Justice System-Trouble on My Mind/ Just Because

I picked up Guru's Jazzmatazz at the record shop the other day for 2 (!),

Where was this record shop?