PDA

View Full Version : El-P Appreciation Thread

noel411
08-16-2010, 06:30 PM
I know a lot of you mad fly hip hop soldiers have shunned El-P after deciding it would be damaging to your image to like him, but let's face it...

Funcrusher Plus - Legendary
Cold Vein - Best and most memorable hip hop album since '98
Fan Dam - Great
I'll Sleep When You're Dead - One of the best hip hop releases of the 00's

Yeah he's not the greatest rapper alive, but he's one of the best hip hop producers ever and unlike 99% of other people in hip hop he actually makes interesting, original and innovative music. And his lyrics are also a hell of a lot more interesting than the majority of other rappers.

I heard he's just dropped a new instrumental album. Has anybody heard anything about him doing another solo album with vocals and all?

djskillz
08-16-2010, 06:40 PM
i never gave him a chance to be honest. been meaning to check him out.

Ghost In The 'Lac
08-16-2010, 06:46 PM
I know a lot of you mad fly hip hop soldiers have shunned El-P after deciding it would be damaging to your image to like him

}:|

THUGNIFICENT
08-16-2010, 07:11 PM
I fucks with El-P and most of the Jux crew. He's the main reason I started fucking with cats like Rob Sonic, the Chin Chins, and Yak Ballz (great names, am I right?). Dude has a pretty terrible flow, but some great - original and different - lyrics combined with a trademark production sound that's pretty hard to fuck with. You can always tell when you're dealing with an El-P beat, but they don't all sound the same; it's just that he has a trademark atmosphere to his beats that permeates almost all of them.

No dickride. Maybe a little bit of a dickride. Fuck it.

I heard he's just dropped a new instrumental album. Has anybody heard anything about him doing another solo album with vocals and all?

The instrumental album is dope, wish they'd put that bitch in elevators. As far as a proper album, I know he's working on it, and is slowly chipping away at it. The entire reason he released the instrumental album is as a way to apologize for the wait and give the fans something to tide them over. Now that Def Jux is no more, he's been able to focus solely on music. Hope it'll be dope.

Don't know if you heard this or not, but this is the most recent El-P solo track (to my knowledge):

j9vmkNJBYQo

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-16-2010, 07:12 PM
El-P is a dope rapper and even sicker producer, his production is multi-layered unlike eminem who's lyrics aren't depth and seem bland and production is as hollow as a steel pipe

c'mon Fantastic Damage and I'll Sleep when your dead are both classics

main_man
08-16-2010, 08:29 PM
i'll sleep when your dead = easily one of my top 5 hip hop albums in the last 10 years.
probably in my top 20 of all time. its good on every listen.
since the burninhellmegamixx 3 dropped, ive been bumping weathermen shit.
tame one
el-p
cage
camu tao
dope click with plenty of banging albums.

and i really dont think of producto's flow as awful at all. i think he just grabs parts of the beat that most rappers and listeners wouldn't think of. he's still on beat with just about every song he spits on, for real.but his beats are extremely bugged out, too. the only other cat who really does that i can think of is e-40 (oddly enough).

el's drums are second to none. you want some hit for your speakers, rock some el-p shit.

i know hes on some end of the world, military law is enacted, angry as fuck, sci fi shit. but dammit, hes one of the few who have actually made hip hop that sounds like its made for 2010 and beyond. plus hes one of the angriest mcs spittin.

funcrusher plus
fantastic damage
the weareallgoingtoburninhellmegamixx 2
and i'll sleep when your dead are all good additions to anybodys collection that likes raw, different and just good hip hop music.

Sleep Sinatra
08-16-2010, 08:45 PM
EL-P is ill. Funcrusher is Legendary, i wish he would take it back to some shit like that.

his new shit is dope though, i think he nice on the mic too.

Nick Fury
08-16-2010, 10:22 PM
EL-P is ill. Funcrusher is Legendary, i wish he would take it back to some shit like that.

Nick Fury
08-16-2010, 10:24 PM

dad
08-16-2010, 10:27 PM
just finished listening to Funcrusher Plus its a classic!

Nick Fury
08-16-2010, 10:49 PM
just finished listening to Funcrusher Plus its a classic!

orly ??

tbh for me el p is hit or miss

THUGNIFICENT
08-17-2010, 12:15 AM
i'll sleep when your dead = easily one of my top 5 hip hop albums in the last 10 years.
probably in my top 20 of all time. its good on every listen.
since the burninhellmegamixx 3 dropped, ive been bumping weathermen shit.
tame one
el-p
cage
camu tao
dope click with plenty of banging albums. I wish they woulda laid down an album back when they had Copy and Vast in there still; I still bump that mixtape they dropped all the time.

and i really dont think of producto's flow as awful at all. i think he just grabs parts of the beat that most rappers and listeners wouldn't think of. he's still on beat with just about every song he spits on, for real.but his beats are extremely bugged out, too. the only other cat who really does that i can think of is e-40 (oddly enough). Sometimes, but a lot of times he kinda suffers from Talib-syndrome, and the way he switches up where he's gonna finish his bars from line to line makes it arrhythmic and sometimes hard - for me - to vibe with.

And, as much as I love I'll Sleep When You're Dead, I don't think it comes close to Fantastic Damage. FanDam's sound was a lot dirtier; you can almost here the dust coming up with each beat. ISWYD is a lot cleaner, sounds much more polished and pristine. Both of them are apocalyptic and dystopic (everybody's favorite word for El-P's sound) as fuck: it's just that ISWYD's view of the future is a technologically advanced but oppressive and deadly world; whereas FanDam is one where shit has hit the fan, where things are rusted and isolated, with each day being an every man for himself struggle.

Maybe I'm thinking too much into it. I also know I'm pretty high, and that probably has something to do with that little rant.

ALCATRAZ
08-17-2010, 12:19 AM
Cold Vein - Best and most memorable hip hop album since '98

lol

Mr. R&B
08-17-2010, 12:43 AM
I'm an angry, alcoholic white dude with depressive issues, of course I like EL-P.

LONDON!
08-17-2010, 08:16 AM
el p is one of the most underated producers around, his shit is diffrent and i ain't gonna lie or nuthin, i ain't up on all his catalogue or some of the artists he produces's for, but he get's infinite of props from me for the production on company flow's funchrusher album and the cold vein album by cannibal ox, both underground classics in my book, yes surr, sick shit

p-rok73
08-17-2010, 05:10 PM
I first heard his production on Def Jux Presents (EP). And thought it was dope. Sort of reminded me of a young RZA with his dark production, you either love it or hate it. His work with Mr. Lif was great also. Dope artist, just wish he didn't slow down like DOOM sort of did recently.

Dr Sleepwalker
08-18-2010, 02:03 AM
EVERYTHING El-P touches is above average, except the production he did for Bazooka Tooth.

Both his solo albums are brilliant and Funcrusher Plus is an underground classic.

His production for Cold Vein made it a classic, or it would've came off soundin' like another Look Mom, No Hands type album

Bizzaro55
08-18-2010, 04:28 AM
probably one of my biggest influences for my production style. i love el p and the whole def jux scene. would b sik to see him and aesop work wit the Clan

BRONZBODY
08-18-2010, 01:01 PM
i like him. dope on the production tip.....i just dont think he should rap. lol!!!

Dr Sleepwalker
08-18-2010, 01:45 PM
His style of rapping and lyrics are fairly abstract and it takes a certain ear to appreciate it. What I've noticed amongst my friends, is that the ones who like El-P are usually the ones who are into other genre's of music just as much as hip-hop, and the strickly hip-hop heads are usually not feeling it 'cus the styles too different and cant wrap their head around a sound their not familiar with

noel411
08-18-2010, 06:04 PM
His style of rapping and lyrics are fairly abstract and it takes a certain ear to appreciate it. What I've noticed amongst my friends, is that the ones who like El-P are usually the ones who are into other genre's of music just as much as hip-hop, and the strickly hip-hop heads are usually not feeling it 'cus the styles too different and cant wrap their head around a sound their not familiar with
I can feel this. I think there's a slight heavy metal aspect to his music. Just the whole "chaotic-ness" of his sound. And his voice and delivery are reminiscent of metal type music.

For me personally I basically don't listen to new hip hop anymore. I stopped being interested in it a few years ago. But El-P is one of 2 people in hip hop whose next release I would actually be excited to hear.

If you're looking for somebody with a tight, conventional flow, then you're probably not gonna be able to handle El-P at all. If you like something a little bit different then he might just be up your alley.

I listened to ISWYD for the first time in a while the other day. It really is an excellent album. One of the major strengths of his work is that he makes actual albums, not just collections of songs. I guess you could probably even call his 2 solo efforts concept albums, especially the second. It's a huge advantage having 1 person produce a full album, especially when it's somebody as creative as El-P.

THUGNIFICENT
08-18-2010, 06:13 PM
I listened to ISWYD for the first time in a while the other day. It really is an excellent album. One of the major strengths of his work is that he makes actual albums, not just collections of songs. I guess you could probably even call his 2 solo efforts concept albums, especially the second. It's a huge advantage having 1 person produce a full album, especially when it's somebody as creative as El-P.

That's so true. Even if it's not an easily visible narrative, all of his albums are very cohesive, and leave the listener with a firm sound and vision of what the album is/was.

J.T.S.
08-19-2010, 11:59 AM
El-p is original that's what i like about homey haven't really peeped him in a while but thanks Noel know i'm getting back into his music.

Rollo
08-20-2010, 04:23 AM
Eh... It's not an image problem.
His beats often aren't very melodic or musically redeeming.
His flow isn't very good and some of his lyrics try so hard to be witty they come out irrelevant and kind of corn ball.

Just my opinion...
I think to Flyentology and all though it's a neat concept and looks good on paper, the music sounds like shit. The only redeeming thing there was Trent Reznor on the hook.
And I don't even like NIN.

I think also of the label he belongs to and just how nerdy and annoying some of these coffee shop hipster, faggots really are(Cage is a good example) and I just put on

UEm4Emu660U

Dr Sleepwalker
08-20-2010, 06:34 AM
One of the major strengths of his work is that he makes actual albums, not just collections of songs. I guess you could probably even call his 2 solo efforts concept albums, especially the second. It's a huge advantage having 1 person produce a full album, especially when it's somebody as creative as El-P.

exactly.. his next solo album is one of the most anticipated albums I've ever anticipated.

I'll Sleep When Your Dead moved right threw me, that album gripped my bones from the first listen, and I still give it a full spin on an occasional basis