PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. FatBeats NYC & L.A.

GTAsoldier
08-18-2010, 04:29 PM
For hip-hop heads of legal drinking age, the name Fat Beats inevitably conjures memories of teenage years spent trawling through racks of vinyl, in-store appearances with the latest underground stars (during a period when "underground" didn't require scare quotes) and encyclopedic employees often pulled from the top ranks of the Los Angeles DJ scene.

And now, the iconic hip-hop retailer will close its last two remaining brick-and-mortar locations in New York and Los Angeles -- another apparent casualty to ever-dwindling record sales and interest in vinyl among hip-hop consumers. The closures reflect the final act of contraction for a chain that had previous shuttered its locations in Amsterdam, Atlanta, Tokyo.

“The closing of Fat Beats is just like one of my friends passing away,” DJ Premier said in a prepared statement. “They promoted vinyl at its highest degree for the culture of good music, and that makes it more difficult to say goodbye.”

Underpinning the statement is the reality that while vinyl has seen an upsurge of interest among indie rock fans, hip-hop fans have moved away from the format in recent years. This reality has been compounded by the rise of illegal downloading, free mix tapes and the general difficulty of finding popular rap records on vinyl.

The New York location will close its doors on Sept. 4, with L.A.'s Melrose Boulevard outpost shutting down on (EDIT: SEPTEMBER 18TH). A spate of goodbye celebrations and sales are planned in the interim. Fat Beats' online store, distribution business and Brooklyn-based record label will remain extant.

“This is the start of a new era in Fat Beats,” Fat Beats owner and president Joe Abajian said in a prepared statement. “We’re adapting to meet the needs of our demographic by revamping and improving our existing systems. While our website, which stocks everything available in our retail stores, continues to do very well, we’re still exploring our options for alternate retail locations in the future. We’re proud of our legacy and will continue to reinvent ourselves."

With the closure of one of Los Angeles' last remaining hubs of independent hip-hop, expect a flurry of tributes to pour in over the next 30 days. In the meantime, this reminiscence from local rapper TiRon nicely captures the store' s place in LA hip-hop culture and illustrates why it will be sorely missed.

-- Jeff Weiss

Source: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog...-locations.html (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2010/08/fat-beats-set-to-close-its-remaining-new-york-and-los-angeles-locations.html)

I loved going to FatBeats NYC. I bought plenty of MF DOOM vinyl there. The last time I went there was to buy Damu the Fudgemunk's instrumental album and the Secondhand Sureshots DVD. It's a shame that after September 4th, I can no longer go there.

R.I.P. FatBeats NY/LA :(

fatboybrandon
08-18-2010, 04:45 PM
Daaaam. Sad news no doubt but I guess we all have to move on at some point, especially businesses in this new online music era. I'm glad to hear there's possibility the store will open lsewhere in the future.

I just went to a show a couple months ago at Fat Beats NY with Black Milk and members of Duck Down. I have about 13 years more memories of traveling down to the village to that store, no matter the weather. I was starting to wonder where the females went that used to work the front register, they had a couple cute ones in the late 90's.

That block of 8th street and 6th isn't going to mean nearly as much to me now when I go down there on the A,C,B or D train. It's gonna be a hard adjustment to deal with..

Mr. R&B
08-18-2010, 04:51 PM
This hurts, bad.

Hip-Hop needs vastages like this, this is truly disappointing.

I understand that the game is changing, but we need places like FatBeats to have a safe haven, you can't shut the physical media down entirely.

R.I.P. FatBeats...

Rame
08-18-2010, 05:02 PM
I went to the NY store last summer. Wasn't what I expected.

They didn't seem to be interrested in me as a costumer. The guy behind the register was talking to someone on his mobile phone while he was helping me, lol.

I used to go to the Amsterdam store a lot but I believe the manager was putting money in his own pocket instead of the company or whatever so they closed that store.

I don't buy a lot of music anyway so I guess the internet is good enough for me.

GTAsoldier
08-18-2010, 05:09 PM
pm30LXs2DNc
FDILJpKxNX4
ukHMrEcVFHQ
bi2cPIsdanM
c7fgCWaugFA
lFeRoiSOh-s
QR0BoMfvhs8

M.O.D.
08-18-2010, 05:16 PM
daaamn , that's a major loss . i use to love hittin fat beats on melrose

at least we still got amoeba in hollywood

Tecknowledgist
08-18-2010, 07:25 PM
That was one of the top-priority places I wanted to visit if I ever went to New York.

It's a sad day for Hip-Hop but it's also the precipice for something much bigger. You know the culture is misconstrewed and well on its way to disaster when FatBeats is no longer open.

In a few years, it's probably going to be damn near impossible to find vinyl anything. Maybe further down the line there won't even be physical copies of albums period.

snapple
08-18-2010, 07:42 PM
Wow this is horrible....but on the plus side maybe there is a store closing blowout sale......

Teknowledgest you're right man....DJing is dead....none of these fools put in any work...its all Ipod playlist now.....Peoples music collection is invisible imaginary computer data LOL

PS rama "They didn't seem to be interrested in me as a costumer. The guy behind the register was talking to someone on his mobile phone while he was helping me, lol."

^^LOL NYC BABBBYYY

SHEEPISH LORD OF CHAOS
08-18-2010, 07:50 PM
Wow this is horrible....but on the plus side maybe there is a store closing blowout sale......

Teknowledgest you're right man....DJing is dead....none of these fools put in any work...its all Ipod playlist now.....Peoples music collection is invisible imaginary computer data LOL

PS rama "They didn't seem to be interrested in me as a costumer. The guy behind the register was talking to someone on his mobile phone while he was helping me, lol."

^^LOL NYC BABBBYYY

i still buy allot of music at the same time peoples collections are weak i saw this women the other day selling her whole collection to the record shop i cop my stuff at. and honestly it was crazy at the same time if your hard drive does die which has happened to me before if you don't have copies it'll take u months to re-up that shit

RynMur
08-18-2010, 07:59 PM
What the hell??? I was just at Fat Beats in Hollywood last weekend. Anyone know if they doing any clearance or discounts?

David Daniel Davis
08-18-2010, 10:39 PM
This is definitely sad; that is just a reality for vinyl based stores; I will definitely be checking the New York location for clearance sales; I have been wanting to buy dj equipment for some time now.

David Daniel Davis
08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
There will be a Ras Kass in store at Fat Beats New York on Tuesday August 31th at 7 p.m.